Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Necrothatcher posted:

Detroit spoilers:

Wow. I think I got the exact opposite ending of you and loved every minute of it.

Markus: Successfully led a peaceful protest, got a bunch of androids killed, but stayed peaceful until the end. The public opinion was on my side, so the cops eventually left and the city became an android hub.

Kara: Got Kara, Alice, AND Luther safely across the border without sacrificing anyone. Man, that felt good.

Connor: Found Markus and crew, turned deviant, but stayed best friends with Hank (which got me a bonus end credits scene). Helped the protest out by freeing the bonus androids, and resisted Cyberlife's attempts to take over Connor.
I do want to go back and attempt your ending though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Convex posted:

What how do you unlock that?

I think it's only in the Switch version unfortunately.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Wow. I think I got the exact opposite ending of you and loved every minute of it.

I do want to go back and attempt your ending though.

Basically you want to murder everyone you get the opportunity to. Though the most fun moment was Connor smugly ordering Hank to shoot him in the head to prove his point that androids aren't people.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Convex posted:

What how do you unlock that?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think it's only in the Switch version unfortunately.

Yeah. It is for the Switch version only.
You have to do one Raid mode mission, and then anytime you examine the communist propaganda in the lobby, it will bring you to the minigame.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh that's a shame then, it looks cool!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can't get hurt by your teammates in monster hunter, but you do get smacked around if they hit you, and some swings will launch you into the air. In older games getting launched by your teammate was basically awful and just took away your controls for a few seconds. But in monster hunter world, you can do an aerial attack after getting launched and turn it into an improvised "totally intentional I swear" moment :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/v1NGaUa.mp4

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gotta keep kayfabe!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm super into all of you going through Terranigma for the first time, it's one of my all-time favourites.
Terranigma is one of the finest games of its generation, and I think it's a shame it never got more recognition. Five little things I like about it: (I'll spoiler these 'cause of the people ITT playing through right now)

1. The opening chapter is set on the inner surface of a hollow Earth, and it looks really cool.
2. The dream sequence where it runs through this trippy slideshow of the evolution of mankind in about 30s.
3. The bit where it turns into Night of the Living Dead and your only friend is the famous Swedish explorer Sven Hedin, for some reason.
4. Travelling to Tokyo and meeting the game's developers, who are all chickens.
5. Your allies by the end consist of a runaway princess, a brave knight, a roguish mercenary, a powerful telepath, and some kid who's really good at skateboarding.

Also, the music is just baller.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron is right that Spider-Man doesn't really need to know any Real Moves from a martial art or wrestling BUT for making a playable character in a videogame that's fun to play and for motion capture reasons it's a cool idea to take from guys like Rey Mysterio or from capoeira to try to sync up somewhat with the style Spider-Man has in the comics.

Also, they're right in that Spider-Man had a history of wrestling where he would have had to playfight so it's a natural fit and for most of his history when he was fighting criminals for real he was aware of having to put on a show for his own camera. So if you're gonna give him any style, makes sense they would take from the flashiest and showiest ones.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s also just a fun contrast from Batman who was basically just a walking murder tank that punched people real hard, or Max in the Mad Max game who just was a dirty scrappy boy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Superheroes in general often have a lot of thematic parallels to wresting as well, especially the lucha libre style. Spidey has the whole scrappy masked underdog in a colourful mask thing going.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In the comics Spider-Man has studied under Iron Fist and has created his own fighting style over the years and also he can talk to spiders.

Well, a spider. Once.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

In the comics Spider-Man has studied under Iron Fist and has created his own fighting style over the years and also he can talk to spiders.

Well, a spider. Once.

Could the spider understand what he said to it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Could the spider understand what he said to it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dark Isle in Alundra 2 (now that I've got around to continuing it after almost a year, I stopped because I got stuck then forgot about it. Finally past the roadblock) has a really clever use of one of the less useful mechanics - one of the rings you can equip for elementals shots also allows you to hover for a couple of seconds by holding the jump button in the air. There are a pair of ladders that you get to a certain point on and get blocked by the block that that shot destroys, and each one puts you on the level of the previous one, so you go up one ladder, shoot the block on the other while hovering, then reattach to the ladder and jump over, repeat until you reach the top.

Then there is a single ladder after with spiked balls falling - you need to detach from the ladder getting far enough away that the ball misses, then reattach to resume the climb. It's a clever jumping puzzle.
Of course that second ladder also needs the hover to pull off.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I started trying to get into Caves of Qud and since the last time I tried and bounced off hard they've added a ton of new features, including cool daily and weekly character challenges. They're a fun way to get out of the rut I was in.

Please post the page where he asks Strange to accomplish this, show the world Peter's goofiest face ever.

e: also mygolomorphic spiders live for like 20-30 years

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

food court bailiff posted:

I started trying to get into Caves of Qud and since the last time I tried and bounced off hard they've added a ton of new features, including cool daily and weekly character challenges. They're a fun way to get out of the rut I was in.

Please post the page where he asks Strange to accomplish this, show the world Peter's goofiest face ever.

e: also mygolomorphic spiders live for like 20-30 years

If he's actually got their lifespan, that's still gonna mean relatively-imminent death.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am pretty sure Spider-Man has been able to talk to spiders and insects since the J. Micheal Straczynski run in the early 2000’s, but I don’t think it’s something that really comes up too often

If he uses it in the new game that would be pretty cool

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am pretty sure Spider-Man has been able to talk to spiders and insects since the J. Micheal Straczynski run in the early 2000’s, but I don’t think it’s something that really comes up too often

If he uses it in the new game that would be pretty cool

(Spider-Man can't actually talk to spiders)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Digirat posted:

You can't get hurt by your teammates in monster hunter, but you do get smacked around if they hit you, and some swings will launch you into the air. In older games getting launched by your teammate was basically awful and just took away your controls for a few seconds. But in monster hunter world, you can do an aerial attack after getting launched and turn it into an improvised "totally intentional I swear" moment :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/v1NGaUa.mp4

Did people play Monster Hunter and feel like it needed fanservice?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Polaron posted:

(Spider-Man can't actually talk to spiders)

I looked this up and he definitely was given that ability during “The Other” but all the weird powers he got during that seem to have been transferred to Kaine from the Clone Saga who came back and had his own series because comic books are fuckin ridiculous lol

edit apparently after this story he had the ability to shoot poison paralysis darts out of his wrists what the gently caress that’s so awesome and dumb lol

codenameFANGIO has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 25, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feel like this is going down into that weird storyline where he finds out he's a spider elemental and a native american shows him a spider totem which turns into a giant tarantula and he dies

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Feel like this is going down into that weird storyline where he finds out he's a spider elemental and a native american shows him a spider totem which turns into a giant tarantula and he dies

yeah I think it’s that

edit like I think part of the point of that scene that was posted was “lol he can’t do that dumb poo poo anymore”

codenameFANGIO has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Aug 25, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Do you really need that question answered? Fanservice is pervasive. Every series will eventually have a scantily-clad something. Hell, I bet there's fanservice in at least one of the Tetris games.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do you really need that question answered? Fanservice is pervasive. Every series will eventually have a scantily-clad something. Hell, I bet there's fanservice in at least one of the Tetris games.

The Sexy T-Block

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or those bullet hell games where the 'characters' are young girls in skin tight costumes and French maid outfits.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EDIT: whoops wrong thread

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Len posted:

With the PS4 it takes screenshots when you get a trophy so a lot of them are just black screens with a trophy popup in the corner.

I have a wonderful screenshot from Bloodborne of just booking it away from some monster while the trophy was some boring thing like picking up an item.

And a whole lot of random menu screens for a bunch. And having the gesture window open after a boss fight trying to thank people who helped.

Sometimes you get a really well timed one though and those are great too,

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that I've fought the (really annoying) boss to bring back the animals in Terranigma, I kind of want to talk about this type of plot:

Something fun about games about restoring the world and poo poo is the feeling of waiting for the shoe to drop. Initially it's idyllic and nice to restore everything, seeing nature come back and stuff - but I know that eventually I will restore something human. Then things will get complicated fast as the plot starts in earnest and the knowledge of how the world got hosed in the first place is revealed. I just know it's going to ramp up, I just don't know how.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BioEnchanted posted:

Now that I've fought the (really annoying) boss to bring back the animals in Terranigma, I kind of want to talk about this type of plot:

Something fun about games about restoring the world and poo poo is the feeling of waiting for the shoe to drop. Initially it's idyllic and nice to restore everything, seeing nature come back and stuff - but I know that eventually I will restore something human. Then things will get complicated fast as the plot starts in earnest and the knowledge of how the world got hosed in the first place is revealed. I just know it's going to ramp up, I just don't know how.

Oh ho ho boy. :getin:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Been playing a bit of Reus recently. It's good stuff. Basically it's a God Game where you have these four (adorable) elemental giants and you use their powers to make resources, and then villages get settled and things. There's all sorts of attributes and the like you can add to resources to change them. And if you give them too much they get greedy and start wars and fighting you.

So sometimes you have to punish them a bit. The neat thing I like is that you can be obvious and go punch their village apart to teach them a lesson, or you can do more subtle things like making the ocean next to them full of dangerous fish so they have other things to worry about. Anyway, the upshot is I stopped a war by filling the sea with sea bass and then filling them full of danger magic. And another time I made some wolves so scary that the villagers next door panicked and started burning their village down. So I had to tone down those wolves a bit.

Anyway, its a fun game but a bit frantic unless you go for free play

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Conversely, you can also be a fully covered battle-ready maiden in a skirt of rathian scales. :shrug:
I'd post evidence but I'm not at home to snap a shot of it.

Bear in mind that the devs are quite happy to add little things in games and let you dress up your Palico as mega man, complete with the gun arm and that lovely 8-bit walk cycle.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Not sure about an official Tetris, but...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McDragon posted:

Been playing a bit of Reus recently. It's good stuff. Basically it's a God Game where you have these four (adorable) elemental giants and you use their powers to make resources, and then villages get settled and things. There's all sorts of attributes and the like you can add to resources to change them. And if you give them too much they get greedy and start wars and fighting you.

So sometimes you have to punish them a bit. The neat thing I like is that you can be obvious and go punch their village apart to teach them a lesson, or you can do more subtle things like making the ocean next to them full of dangerous fish so they have other things to worry about. Anyway, the upshot is I stopped a war by filling the sea with sea bass and then filling them full of danger magic. And another time I made some wolves so scary that the villagers next door panicked and started burning their village down. So I had to tone down those wolves a bit.

Anyway, its a fun game but a bit frantic unless you go for free play

Reus on free play has been one of my favorite chillout games for years. It’s a fun little puzzle/bonsai tree combo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Its been in since the first one.
The male/female armor (and animation) dichotomy in monster hunter is one of my peeves. Sometimes it goes both ways, especially with lighter armors, but its really, really disappointing when you make an armor based off a walking tank of a magma dinosaur with a Leno chin and the designers find it makes sense to make the female armor have THIGH HIGH GREAVES UNDER A SKIRT.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Aug 25, 2018

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its been in since the first one.
The male/female armor (and animation) dichotomy in monster hunter is one of my peeves. Sometimes it goes both ways, especially with lighter armors, but its really, really disappointing when you make an armor based off a walking tank of a magma dinosaur with a Leno chin and the designers find it makes sense to make the female armor have THIGH HIGH GREAVES UNDER A SKIRT.

I honestly wish it went the other way than what most people want as a fix. I want the male outfits to be just as skimpy. Throw in a mixture of big hefty suits of armor for both genders and fantasy chainmail bikinis/speedos. Monster Hunter's absurd charm is a big selling point, so let's run with it. Give me a matching male and female armor from the same monster where one half is the back of a horse, and the other is the front of it. Borat speedopenders for everyone!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would legit love to be an ultra-cheesecake thing. The best part of the later RE games is they just have Chris in the most ridiculous Village People outfits

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Sailor Man Chris from Resident Evil Revelations 1 is the best costume he's ever had.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

HPanda posted:

I honestly wish it went the other way than what most people want as a fix. I want the male outfits to be just as skimpy. Throw in a mixture of big hefty suits of armor for both genders and fantasy chainmail bikinis/speedos. Monster Hunter's absurd charm is a big selling point, so let's run with it. Give me a matching male and female armor from the same monster where one half is the back of a horse, and the other is the front of it. Borat speedopenders for everyone!

Monster Hunter isn't equal, but the men aren't completely out of luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Seems like the common denominator in these fan service games is Japan