Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The Band of Bones that are comming to get themselves pincushioned trying to raid my base seem to have spawned on an unpathable cliff. Is there any way to reset thier position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I reimport my game in that case if you literally can't reach them. I imagine that level of jank will never truly go away.

Had the same thing happen with the black dragon dudes. Eventually I walked above the cliff, gave everyone a crossbow. Once they were dead I just walked away from the area to unload it and walked back.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Alright than only a big base is gonna be. Too bad i have to abandon my current one as it is on top a fortress hill and it looks quite cool.

What are interesting zones? So far i have been only experiencing with the following:
1- Border Zone/Central Arid: Easy Area with starving Bandits and some Holy Empire crazy (I'm in good terms with them tough)
2- Swamp: basically you swim a lot and everything wants you dead
3- Southern UC: middle ground
4- Hive acid canyon: I'm not sure how i survived there for one night

I'm thinking about creating my next outpost in the border between Swamp and Wetlands, so I can make Sake and sell it to UC at a higher price (the got the +25% modifier). Any interesting or unusual position hints are gladly accepted

I feel like every biome is unique in one way or the other, It quite change the way you play.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The squin mercs told me to gently caress off for being a Greenlander.

Have Ruka talk to them.

RattiRatto posted:

Alright than only a big base is gonna be. Too bad i have to abandon my current one as it is on top a fortress hill and it looks quite cool.

What are interesting zones? So far i have been only experiencing with the following:
1- Border Zone/Central Arid: Easy Area with starving Bandits and some Holy Empire crazy (I'm in good terms with them tough)

I'm thinking about creating my next outpost in the border between Swamp and Wetlands, so I can make Sake and sell it to UC at a higher price (the got the +25% modifier). Any interesting or unusual position hints are gladly accepted

I feel like every biome is unique in one way or the other, It quite change the way you play.

Install this mod https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1384575477 and setup in the deadlands. :getin:

If you are looking for spots that aren't super dangerous and can grow stuff, the area in the northern hidden forest is green biome with high fertility with very little dangerous stuff.

There's lots of blood spiders and rather dangerous bandits down in the swamp areas (red sabres and swamp ninja). You shouldn't settle anywhere that has things which will eat you unless you are very confident in your ability to defend it.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 23, 2018

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Have Ruka talk to them.

Install this mod https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1384575477 and setup in the deadlands. :getin:

If you are looking for spots that aren't super dangerous and can grow stuff, the area in the northern hidden forest is green biome with high fertility with very little dangerous stuff.

There's lots of blood spiders and rather dangerous bandits down in the swamp areas (red sabres and swamp ninja). You shouldn't settle anywhere that has things which will eat you unless you are very confident in your ability to defend it.

Now that mod is interesting, I'm not yet in the late game tough, but I'll keep it in mind
I have been running as a merchant around before setting up my first outpost. Any trade modifier I should be aware of ? So far I only found Sake +25% in southern UC cities and Rice/Hemp -25% in the swamp

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hashish is super profitable if you can sell it in UC cities but its illegal basically everywhere and you can only sell it to shin-obi thieves.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

Now that mod is interesting, I'm not yet in the late game tough, but I'll keep it in mind
I have been running as a merchant around before setting up my first outpost. Any trade modifier I should be aware of ? So far I only found Sake +25% in southern UC cities and Rice/Hemp -25% in the swamp

Smuggling hash/sake will make the most money in the UC cities out of all the trade goods though you have to fence the hash. Otherwise, forging higher end weapons/clothing/armor and selling it will make a lot of $$$. You can easily make yourself very rich just farming hemp, turning it to cloth and and crafting tagelmusts or whatever.

And you don't need to be in the late game for super spider mod :v:

It feels too easy to loot armories and ancient tech labs or walk on over to the scrapyard, which have all of the end game tier stuff in them. Those guys feel more appropriate for the places you find them then a pile of spiders that you can trivially kill with a bunch of low skill nobodies w/ junkbows or a few mercs.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 23, 2018

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

As much as I enjoy the different biomes I find a little lacking on the cities side. I mean they feel all the same, with only a handful differences. Even trading is not a big deal and there is not much difference in price across all the map - only maybe the thing with sake and hash in the UC
Maybe I just haven't explored enough yet

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I have been waiting for this to hit 1.0 ver out of early access, should i keep waiting or there won’t be much new features to add and refine?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really think they have much left, a corner of the map to fill out and some changing world states.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The last corner is supposed to have a lot of dangerous poo poo in it anyways and it takes a fair amount of time to get your guys out of the "gently caress I just got beat up by a naked guy w/ a stick" phase.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'd just go ahead and get it, it's one of probably my top 5 best values in games ever. They'll add some features, but it's mostly finished and while there are some bugs and a bit of jank, it's not that bad. Hell any bethesda game is 10x buggier at release. Price will likely go up on release, too.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

RattiRatto posted:

My most recent base is in the Skimsands. Arid biome, 10% water so you can get water production going with enough wells (or just get the Moisture Farming mod), and it's not in the UC or Holy Empire so you don't get hit by taxmen. The biggest bonus is that any time anyone shows up to siege your base, they get killed by skimmers! The only downside is that you have to bring enough building materials with you to get your walls up from the get go or... you'll be killed by skimmers!

As soon as I find an AI core and get Hydroponics I'm totally building a Deadlands base.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

dogstile posted:

I've managed to recruit Bard and Ruka on my Ironman game and i've spent my fortune amassed from my bounty hunting/animal slaughter on books and building materials to build the house and get the first level of tech all done. I also managed to buy hemp in Squin and research that, which is weird because i'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Mining in Squin is dangerous. I sent Bard and Ruka outside and every single time i've tried, they've been beset upon by hordes of hungry bandits. Everyone's toughness is going up super quick. The dust bandits dropping like flies to the guards have been a boon too, now my four person group all has standard grade junk-bows and a good supply of toothpicks. Our dex is going up pretty fast now. Hobbs is getting better at martial arts! He now does 7 damage a hit! :toot:

I did reload due to a bug, I got jumped by some hungry bandits and some slave mongers came in once we'd won and patched up. As we started walking away some garru attacked them and it turned me hostile to the slave mongers? (-50 relations immediately) which was weird but whatever.

Next step is to build some beds in my townhouse and figure out what i'm going to do to make money next. For now i'm going to continue trying to mine outside the city while I research, then I suppose its off to ruins or something. I need a Garru.

E: Oh, the house also has a stove, a table, four stools and a food barrel. Ruka is our cook.

whats the difference between garru, pack beast and wild bull? is garru the best?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Arven posted:

Deadlands base.

Wouldn't that be really boring though? No enemies... would you even get events/raids/caravans?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this game have a manual, or a wiki or something, I'm about to start my first game ever and I already have decision paralysis from the 16 different starts.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Turtlicious posted:

Does this game have a manual, or a wiki or something, I'm about to start my first game ever and I already have decision paralysis from the 16 different starts.

Check the first 3 or 4 pages of this thread, there's a bunch of good info about starting and early game. I haven't found any better info.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Play Wanderer, they're all variations on it. Just stuff like "slightly better geared wanderer", "wanderer but you start as 5 people with some building supplies", etc.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've lost basically the entire past week to this game, it's great. However I've now got a colony of 20ish people and I really wish you could set up more detailed automation, especially with hauling. The way things work now I've got people running across my base to grab a single iron ore or constantly going back to the water tank to keep it topped up at 100. Plus it's annoying to work out who is assigned to what when you have multiple of a building or resource in your base. I really hope they give the job system a look over before this goes to 1.0.

It's kinda baffling to me that the top mod on the workshop increases the follower cap to 256. Just managing 20 is enough work for me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got the game and played a bit, got a few questions:

1: How 'prevalent' are bounty hunters? I want to go with the Holy Sword start, but that $20K bounty made me :stare: the first time I started such a game. It seems it might lock me out of a significant portion of the game if I go for that start.

2: What basic building stuff do I need to look out for if I want to start a settlement? Do I need to collect 500 Wood, Stone and Gold or whatever, or is it all just Building Materials? What if I want to craft stuff?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

CommissarMega posted:

2: What basic building stuff do I need to look out for if I want to start a settlement? Do I need to collect 500 Wood, Stone and Gold or whatever, or is it all just Building Materials? What if I want to craft stuff?
The prevailing wisdom is to buy a house in a town to get all the basic research done first then go for a settlement. If you have a decent stone quarry spot and iron source you'll pretty much be self sufficient for the start.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Is there any good perks in setting up a shop in a city? I mean you can sell to merchant at about the same price it seem to me. Am I missing something? (Other than i can possibly sell hash in UC cities, since the traders won't accept it)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Pool posted:

whats the difference between garru, pack beast and wild bull? is garru the best?

I think Pack beasts technically do more damage, but Garru's are faster. I've never used the bull.

CommissarMega posted:

1: How 'prevalent' are bounty hunters? I want to go with the Holy Sword start, but that $20K bounty made me :stare: the first time I started such a game. It seems it might lock me out of a significant portion of the game if I go for that start.

1. Bounty hunters i've only ever encountered in the desert, never seen them anywhere else. This might change.

2. If you want to start a settlement, you basically need building materials and iron plates. I'd probably take 30 building materials and maybe 20 iron plates to start up your first place, start somewhere with Iron/Stone/At least 10% water. More water is better but 10% will do.

For base building, if your base gets attacked or raided you will get a warning beforehand for the big ones. There is no shame in leaving and coming back with a few "friends" you hire from a bar to kick them out.

Babe Magnet posted:

Play Wanderer, they're all variations on it. Just stuff like "slightly better geared wanderer", "wanderer but you start as 5 people with some building supplies", etc.

100% this. Just play wanderer, talk to "hobbs" in the starter town, go along with his crazy poo poo and he'll join you.

The enemies around the border zone won't kill you, they'll just beat you up. If you give both of your guys a medikit, you can quite safely mine the copper and just run back to the bar if someone goes for you. If you get caught and beaten up, this is actually a good thing as it increases your stats. All enemies will do is take your food and copper sells for more than enough to buy more.

I believe the only exception to this in the border zone outside the hub is if slavers are on their way past, if that happens they'll try to enslave you if you're downed but its rare so W/E.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ALT makes everything I can steal show up, is there a key they shows everyone I can talk to?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Not that I know of. It would be great if something high lighted NPCs in general.

Also beware of the occasional bonedog that roams around the borderzone. They aren't common but they'll end your playthrough in a hurry if one decides it wants your limbs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Carcer posted:

Not that I know of. It would be great if something high lighted NPCs in general.

Also beware of the occasional bonedog that roams around the borderzone. They aren't common but they'll end your playthrough in a hurry if one decides it wants your limbs.

They don't run that fast. Just don't run around at low speeds alone. If you get in trouble you need to have a dude who can run off while the rest of your crew gets owned and come back later to bandage you/everyone else up.

Otherwise low toughness means you get ko'd and bleed out vs. most stuff that deals any kind of cut damage.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
True, bone dogs don't run fast, but if your attention is elsewhere and a bonedog cripples your legs with its opening attacks theres not much you'll be able to do about it.

Everything else, yeah, as long as you have another character to pick your downed guys up and patch them up getting your rear end kicked is mostly a bonus.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

All right then, thanks for the help! I'd also like to ask one more question that I forgot about the first time: how do stealth modifiers work? I've got a helmet that says "Stealth Effect: 0.10x" and my ninja pants give me "Stealth Effect: 1.10x". How do these work together? And if I weren't wearing my ninja pants, would I really have 10% of my usual stealth from one helmet?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've been casually following this game for years, ever since the dodgy demo with horrific performance came out and even bought and returned it a sale or two ago (I shouldn't try to play games while ill, I just associate the game with feeling horrible). It's cool to see it's still going and there are people playing.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I'm not sure what the order of the calculations is but "X effect: 0.10" means that that skill is reduce by 90%. Most Helmets and heavy armor make sneaking impossible (Unless you're using a disguise). Some items do give those 10%/20% buffs but you're not fixing that 0.1 modifier with them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the helmet will vastly outweigh the bonus of the rags. Just take off the helmet if you want to sneak.

Stealing items that are laying around in shops have a 100% steal chance so do that until you have a decent stealing level. If you get caught stealing you can't ever buy from that shop again (without reimporting) so try not to get caught.

Stealing from containers is decided by how high your sneak skill is and how close a guard or the shopkeeper is to you. A lot of the tower shops have a chest on the top floor that is sometimes unguarded, that's some free gear every time you go into one.

When selling stolen items, selling to the same faction/town won't work, you'll have to go between towns. I stole from the tech hunter guy in Squin once and then a guy in the waystation next to it (also a tech hunter) would have been able to recognise the stuff, but the guy in the bar (not a tech hunter) would happily buy the stuff.

Also if a shop keeper is knocked out/no guards are nearby for whatever reason all your chances to steal go up by 100% for the duration.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've discovered the greatest exploit, I call it the bandit of holding. Bodies always weigh the same regardless of what they're carrying, so you can fill a large backpack or two or three and put them in the bandit of holding and still run at a good speed. You can also use your friends the same way, I had a pair of heavily loaded smugglers get jumped by ninjas so the fastest one just picked up the other, gave him all his stuff and ran away. They're now known as the Mighty Morphin Wingwang Rangers.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Lmao nice

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah carry weight of bodies is kinda hosed up. You can carry a pack animal holding 1000 kg of poo poo with a naked 15 strength guy and run at max speed and it owns.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's a wiki for Kenshi, which is good mostly for the maps on it. Everything else is very minimally written about and somehow people manage to write only the most non-relevant info on there.

Alchenar posted:

I've been casually following this game for years, ever since the dodgy demo with horrific performance came out and even bought and returned it a sale or two ago (I shouldn't try to play games while ill, I just associate the game with feeling horrible). It's cool to see it's still going and there are people playing.

I can totally believe that this game was absolute hot garbage... not even that long ago. I've been playing it for about a month and already a couple pretty substantial patches with solid improvements have dropped. It reminds me of Stalker in terms of how harsh the learning curve is and the level of jank.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Speaking of jank, I've been having a strange bug over my past couple of play sessions and as funny as it is I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has it so it'll get fixed at some point.

Basically, whenever town guards or whatever attempt to imprison folks, one of two things will happen. Either they'll grab the person and put them in the cage as normal or they'll grab the person, go into the police station/slave shop/wherever they're being locked up, stand around a little bit, then go outside, still carrying the criminal and drop them on the floor outside the building. The persons' body will then proceed to bounce up into the air and land somewhere nearby as the guard comes back out of the building and picks up their body from where it was originally placed which causes everything to go back to normal again.

It was funny the first couple of times watching iron spiders flying around and skeletons zooming through the sky as the holy nation guards attempted to throw them out but its getting really annoying because they're not actually imprisoning anybody, just going through this endless flying ragdoll loop

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

Speaking of jank, I've been having a strange bug over my past couple of play sessions and as funny as it is I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has it so it'll get fixed at some point.

Basically, whenever town guards or whatever attempt to imprison folks, one of two things will happen. Either they'll grab the person and put them in the cage as normal or they'll grab the person, go into the police station/slave shop/wherever they're being locked up, stand around a little bit, then go outside, still carrying the criminal and drop them on the floor outside the building. The persons' body will then proceed to bounce up into the air and land somewhere nearby as the guard comes back out of the building and picks up their body from where it was originally placed which causes everything to go back to normal again.

It was funny the first couple of times watching iron spiders flying around and skeletons zooming through the sky as the holy nation guards attempted to throw them out but its getting really annoying because they're not actually imprisoning anybody, just going through this endless flying ragdoll loop

You can help em out and deliver them to cages when that happens if they have a bounty.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Similar to the bug above, but most of the time I can’t throw people out of my town after beating them up. One of my squad members will grab them, then can’t drop them. Or if they drop them, the KO’d person/thing will throw itself repeatedly into the air and phase into the ground.

Also how can I kill people that are KO’d? It’s annoying getting raided, then have to deal with progressively smaller battles time and time again after they recover.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

buglord posted:

Similar to the bug above, but most of the time I can’t throw people out of my town after beating them up. One of my squad members will grab them, then can’t drop them. Or if they drop them, the KO’d person/thing will throw itself repeatedly into the air and phase into the ground.

Also how can I kill people that are KO’d? It’s annoying getting raided, then have to deal with progressively smaller battles time and time again after they recover.

Stops being as much of an annoyance once you have higher skills and good weapons but at lower levels just take their weapons and kinda ignore them until they are beaten to death which is good practice.

There's also a mod that gives humans a heart item so you can kill them like an animal if you want to get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dang, that's one lovely helmet then! Guess I'll just look elsewhere for head protection, thanks.

buglord posted:

Yeah, it's a bitch trying to do this. Only solution I've found so far is to carefully mouse over all the fallen, and if it turns red stick a katana into them. Even then it's not 100% effective- sometimes I've looted the battlefield, and while picking through a 'corpse's pockets, the dude would wake up and I'd have to stick him all over again.

Also, holy poo poo are the Holy Nation a sack of assholes. No you fucker I'm not gonna sell my Shek buddies off as chattel, what the gently caress are you on about.