Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the case of Han shooting first, or second, or simultaneously, we can now say conclusively that Han never shot.

That scene wasn’t a major plot event, and is therefore NON CANON.

Ah, the Hansenberg principle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

jivjov posted:

Or that a wound location is not a major plot event (like a planet being renamed, or a character being alive when they previously were established as dead, etc)

Wait, why would you consider Tatooine being renamed to be a major plot event?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Having only parts of the "canon" stories be canon seems a bit self-defeating.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

we can now say conclusively that Han never shot.

explain kylo then!!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

explain kylo then!!

Obi-Wan is the father, according to the Storygruppen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

Or that a wound location is not a major plot event (like a planet being renamed, or a character being alive when they previously were established as dead, etc)

It might not be a 'major plot event' (whatever that means) but it's pretty clear Abrams intended for Kylo to be somewhat disfigured following his fight with Rey, practically setting him up for a weird mirror of Vader's path, whereas Johnson thought it was 'goofy' and seemed to think Kylo's scar therefore had to be cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dublish posted:

What the desert planet is called is not a major plot point. What matters is that it's the most worthless planet in the galaxy and it's at the rear end end of nowhere. Jakooine's name isn't even mentioned in half the movies in which it appears.

I meant the concept that the planet Tatooine was renamed to Jakku; not the name itself (see: Korriban/Morriban)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It might not be a 'major plot event' (whatever that means) but it's pretty clear Abrams intended for Kylo to be somewhat disfigured following his fight with Rey, practically setting him up for a weird mirror of Vader's path, whereas Johnson thought it was 'goofy' and seemed to think Kylo's scar therefore had to be cool.

He's still disfigured.The scar didn't go away

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Something something bacta

You're welcome

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jivjov posted:

He's still disfigured.The scar didn't go away

How do we know it's actually the same scar?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Its the same scar and in the same place, he just force regrew his face slightly to the left and now always turns his head a little bit to the right to look straight ahead.

Its quite obvious in some shots.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Lo, the uncreated Journal of the Whills is revealed in stages, to prove the understanding of those who understand, and to discover those who lose the way. But for them is prepared the fire, to abide therein. Think you that the Story Group does not have power to make a thing lawful or unlawful? For the Story Group does not err, and they love the righteous. Any revelation they cause to be superseded or forgotten, they replace with something better or similar. When it was revealed "Han shot first," this was done to please the people; but this is fallen away, and a new revelation has abrogated it. Woe unto him who thinks not that Greedo shot first!

There are those among you who say "Kylo had a scar on his nose," but the Story Group has allowed you to believe this to reveal your obstinance. You are like him, with a scar upon your eye.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It is Canon that the Whills, who created the Force and the Midichlorians, are also the same race that would create the Monoliths from 2001 in a different galaxy.

We know this because after becoming a God-Baby, Dave Bowman traveled to the Star Wars Galaxy and then back in time to Tattooine in the Old Republic to create Anakin. The proof?

That's the pod used by Bowman to touch the Monolith.

Canon.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jivjov posted:

Kylo Ren being slashed across the face is a way more major event than a location's name changing. Or, possibly, there being a specific named region on a larger, differently-named planet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Clearly Kylo Ren in TFA and Kylo Ren in TLJ are different people

You can tell because their scars aren't the same

One of them is Been Solo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

Clearly Kylo Ren in TFA and Kylo Ren in TLJ are different people

You can tell because their scars aren't the same

One of them is Been Solo

Please, we already have the Bigger Ren Theory, let's not confuse the issue.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

Kylo Ren being slashed across the face is a way more major event than a location's name changing. Or, possibly, there being a specific named region on a larger, differently-named planet.

Jivjov is clearly saying that certain individual shots in TFA are non-canon.

The events of the plot, recorded as written text, are the actual canon.

Therefore the films are imperfect illustrations of the true Star Wars. The true Star Wars only exists in an inaccessible database that is presumed to exist somewhere at Disney. No-one has ever seen it, except a handful of employees.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think we're in more of an allegory of the caves situation. Canon Star Wars is passing between us and the fire, but the movies we see are mere shadowy abstractions projected on cave walls. We could not fathom the true nature of canon Star Wars, but hopefully one day our children or our children's children will be ready to receive the truth.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jivjov is clearly saying that certain individual shots in TFA are non-canon.

The events of the plot, recorded as written text, are the actual canon.

Therefore the films are imperfect illustrations of the true Star Wars. The true Star Wars only exists in an inaccessible database that is presumed to exist somewhere at Disney. No-one has ever seen it, except a handful of employees.

Can't believe that all along you've been an archon of the demiurge (one G. Lucas), sent to entrap us in the samsaric prison of the Star Wars films which block us from achieving true gnosis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, him being slashed across the face is a major event. The fact that the scar is a couple inches to the left is not so major.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

Yes, him being slashed across the face is a major event. The fact that the scar is a couple inches to the left is not so major.

It is much more major than the name of a planet. We unambiguously see it happen onscreen, and the scar it leaves!

Is this shot canon?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why has his face been photoshopped to be like fifty percent bigger?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most successful actors have huge lollipop heads and Driver is no different.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why has his face been photoshopped to be like fifty percent bigger?

That's Bigger Ren

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Most successful actors have huge lollipop heads and Driver is no different.

Cf. Harrison Ford next to any normal human being

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

In the case of Han shooting first, or second, or simultaneously, we can now say conclusively that Han never shot.

Actually, that's something I'm curious about : if "canon" matters, then which version of the movie takes precedence? In the special editions onwards, Greedo shoots first; in theatrical, LaserDisc and THX versions, Han shoots first. They are both equally canon, but they cannot be equally canon, because two completely different things are happening.

Sorry if this breaks the Star Wars universe for anyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually, that's something I'm curious about : if "canon" matters, then which version of the movie takes precedence? In the special editions onwards, Greedo shoots first; in theatrical, LaserDisc and THX versions, Han shoots first. They are both equally canon, but they cannot be equally canon, because two completely different things are happening.

Sorry if this breaks the Star Wars universe for anyone.

I think jivjov would say that because George Lucas was the sole arbiter of canon pre-Disney, Greedo shooting first is canon because that's the way Lucas decided it should be for the Special Editions(i.e. Special Editions are canon because they're more recent)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would guess that the Story Group acknowledges only the latest version of any given work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

I think jivjov would say that because George Lucas was the sole arbiter of canon pre-Disney, Greedo shooting first is canon because that's the way Lucas decided it should be for the Special Editions(i.e. Special Editions are canon because they're more recent)

George Lucas's arbitration will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Disney has dissolved the old canon permanently.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

I would guess that the Story Group acknowledges only the latest version of any given work.

Yeah, this. The most recent cut is the current canonical one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So it's merely the interpretation of the Story Group of how things went down, and no one else is beholden to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

So it's merely the canon of the Story Group, and no one else's.

Everyone is entitled to the canon in their own head, I've not seen anything jivjov has said that contradicts that. It's when you want to go out into the world and discuss it with others that we're running into a problem.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Everyone is entitled to the canon in their own head, I've not seen anything jivjov has said that contradicts that. It's when you want to go out into the world and discuss it with others that we're running into a problem.

You only run into problems if the thing you're trying to discuss is some particular canon and not the film itself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

What problem have we run into?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fridge corn posted:

Dr Jakku and Mr Tatooine

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

What problem have we run into?

It's impossible to have a discussion that involves literal elements of the movie like the names of planets without someone trying to force their personal reading of the film into it. If you're not at least willing to accept some basic continuity then every discussion has all these little landmines everywhere and it constantly grinds to halt.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

It's impossible to have a discussion that involves literal elements of the movie like the names of planets without someone trying to force their personal reading of the film into it. If you're not at least willing to accept some basic continuity then every discussion has all these little landmines everywhere and it constantly grinds to halt.

So the enemy is different opinions.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't imagine a more boring conversation. Jivjov is like the perfect strawman for smartgoons to prove how not into autistic nerdcore Wookiepedia poo poo they are. Grats guys you realized movies aren't real.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I can't imagine a more boring conversation. Jivjov is like the perfect strawman for smartgoons to prove how not into autistic nerdcore Wookiepedia poo poo they are. Grats guys you realized movies aren't real.

I just wish he'd budge a bit and not take it so seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

So it's merely the interpretation of the Story Group of how things went down, and no one else is beholden to it.

The story group is who determines what the canon is: we're all beholden to it, on account of them being in charge of it

Edit: like ...you can invent your own special headcanon if you want, but thT doesn't change the actual canon

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 24, 2018