Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i enjoy the names. malazan names that is. easy to pronounce, and fitting.

Vastly Blank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished The Crippled God re-read about 10 minutes ago.
The Adjunct Tavore as a Jesus figure/Shield Anvil for the Malazan world imagery was goddamn dense throughout the last 10% of the book.
Had a combined 43 pages of bookmarks + highlights for Dust of Dreams/Crippled God.

Iskaral Pust, Kruppe, the Mule, Bauchelain, Helian's deep thoughts, and Antsy's memory being 100% stick-figures were my favorite things in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. In closing, G'han nered pah vreem!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, well, if you want to keep liking Antsy, do not read ICE.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Oh I read 2 ICE books and they were terrible, like something RA Salvatore would produce after 3 consecutive strokes.

Never said I liked Antsy beyond his stick-figure memory thing.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Jesus, massive story for Togg and Fanderay.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Just started Dust of Dreams, loved Erikson's note at the beginning, basically "please excuse this book's lack of resolution or traditional structure, you've made it this far so I'm sure you're game for a 2500 page novel." :allears:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think Midnight Tides might be my favorite Malazan book.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dwarf74 posted:

One section that's always stuck with me for some reason is the running battle Trull has with that tribe of Soletaken on the tundra. Just a very well written fight scene.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

One section that's always stuck with me for some reason is the running battle Trull has with that tribe of Soletaken on the tundra. Just a very well written fight scene.
It really is. Shorter than I remembered, but still impactful - kind of like the underground scenes in Bonehunters.

Added to that kind of thing, I also think that Tehol and Bugg are his best-written comic duo. Oh, and how Rhulad turns out to be a really complex character. But it's especially how Erikson makes you care for a bunch of the Letherii and a bunch of the Edur, and then smashes them together in ways that will get them killed - it's some serious emotional stakes, after hundreds of pages of build-up.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Bauchelain and Emancipor Reese are a close #2 malazan series comic-duo, or #1 comic duo if you prefer horror-movie genre + the three stooge genres over P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves + Bertie Wooster wackiness.

The Bonehunters entire thing is getting wrecked in battle, transformational death march, getting wrecked in battle, transformational death march. I blame the leadership and possibly that Fiddler is just a doom magnet.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Midnight Tides is definitely the book that grows on you the most. I was all about Deadhouse Gates for so long, but that entire final sequence in MT with Brys... still one of the best written sections of the series.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i remember tearing up when the khundryl warchief (Gall?) declared the wickans to be the most powerful tribe towards the end of Deadhouse Gates so it's pretty much the rawest

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Another really good duo that is seldom mentioned is Pores and Kindly. The relationship between them is one of the best ones in the books.

But Tehol and Bugg are still better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So having finished Return of the Crimson Guard and Stonewielder I think Esslemont's character interactions excepting Erikson's marines are better. Esslemont's feel like conversations whereas Erikson's feel like monologues.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

It really is. Shorter than I remembered, but still impactful - kind of like the underground scenes in Bonehunters.

Added to that kind of thing, I also think that Tehol and Bugg are his best-written comic duo. Oh, and how Rhulad turns out to be a really complex character. But it's especially how Erikson makes you care for a bunch of the Letherii and a bunch of the Edur, and then smashes them together in ways that will get them killed - it's some serious emotional stakes, after hundreds of pages of build-up.

Hanan Mosag's deadpan sense of humour doesn't get enough love - especially when he's winding up the Letheri about all their wine being looted.

I was flicking through my kindle notes in RG to try and fine the right line, and instead I found the bit where Trull gets shanked and Hedge has a mental breakdown and now I need a hug :smith:

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

A couple years ago I read all the books up to Toll of the Hounds , but fell out after the first quarter of the book - is it one that can be skipped, or will the reread on tor provide enough context for me to move onto the next book?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The re-reads are pretty concise from what I remember. Major events happen in TtH so you should at least look at the re-reads.

dwarf74 posted:

Hell yes.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Bauchelain and Emancipor Reese are a close #2 malazan series comic-duo, or #1 comic duo if you prefer horror-movie genre + the three stooge genres over P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves + Bertie Wooster wackiness.

The Bonehunters entire thing is getting wrecked in battle, transformational death march, getting wrecked in battle, transformational death march. I blame the leadership and possibly that Fiddler is just a doom magnet.

Is their standalone book any good? Or books. However many there are.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

BigHead posted:

Is their standalone book any good? Or books. However many there are.

6 B&KB stories.
B&KB series has 1 compliation book already out(first three stories), with the 2nd compilation book due out in a month or so (the last three stories).
I would rate the B&KB stories above Erikson's terrible Star Trek fan-fiction novels.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 10, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is there any given reason for the many broken warrens around Raraku? I know that Dessimbelackis shattered the Shapechanger warren, and Icarium weaked Emurlahn by smashing the Odhanhouse but it seems kinda odd that both happened pretty much on top of each other.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is there any given reason for the many broken warrens around Raraku? I know that Dessimbelackis shattered the Shapechanger warren, and Icarium weaked Emurlahn by smashing the Odhanhouse but it seems kinda odd that both happened pretty much on top of each other.

There's that Whirlwind spirit which is secretly the supremely pissed off undead wife of Onrack that is leaching energy from most of the broken warrens in the Raruku desert. Plus the Crippled God's poisoning of Burn the sleeping goddess is messing up all non-elder god based warren access...remember that DeadHouse Gates and Memories of Ice take place concurrently, which makes things worse in Raraku desert. Thirdly nobody did what Kivalva Onass did in the prologue of Memories of Ice for the broken warrens of the Raruku desert.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 11, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Man with Hat posted:

Another really good duo that is seldom mentioned is Pores and Kindly. The relationship between them is one of the best ones in the books.

But Tehol and Bugg are still better.

I loved the bit in Dust of Dreams where the one captain wistfully wishes he had a malicious lieutenant like Kindly does to constantly match wits with.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rereading Midnight Tides and I forgot how completely mental it is. You have all the Edur and Letherri myths that kind of match up with established history if you squint really hard, a few bits they get backwards, and then we casually learn that the Kchain threw Mother Dark into a black hole and may have created entropy and the inevitability of the heat death of the universe. Even the Sengar bros have to shrug off the sheer scale of it.

Edit:The bits where it turns into a sex-comedy are also mental, but in a different way.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 15, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I love how it flits between two stories with entirely different tones and makes them equally compelling.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

snoremac posted:

I love how it flits between two stories with entirely different tones and makes them equally compelling.

Oh yeah, it's really nicely done. Especially how the seemingly free and liberal Letherii are in reality so much more restrictive than the Edur, who'll happily ignore their very rigid social customs as soon as it's necessary.

The Edur scenes are some of Erikson's best dialogue. He likes characters who layer loads of hints and insinuations into what they say, and in the Edur are great for that. Big fan of how Papa Sengar manages to offer sympathy to Rhulad whilst seemingly just giving him a scolding. And Hanan Mosag being a really chill dude, and even apologising to Trull for making fun of him in front of all his friends.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just about to finish book 9 and just have a quick question, do they ever explain why why the forkrul assail are so much weaker in the back half than they were in the front half of the books? I mean the first two we meet, one ha been crushed under a rock for millennia and is still kicking and the other hands Royals and Trull their asses. The next one we meet is killed in a single stroke by The Watch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just about to finish book 9 and just have a quick question, do they ever explain why why the forkrul assail are so much weaker in the back half than they were in the front half of the books? I mean the first two we meet, one ha been crushed under a rock for millennia and is still kicking and the other hands Royals and Trull their asses. The next one we meet is killed in a single stroke by The Watch.

There's Pures vs. Watered, which makes a difference.

Also some dudes are just that badass.

Also also, Erikson loves having modern technology, magic, and tactics clown on ancient stuff that's still kicking around, so there's that.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I think that's more The Watch being a frightening dude than the FA being weak.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Aren't the forkrul kind of the exception to the older beings ( Denhrabi, Dessimbelackis, super-magic-metal-sword Imass) getting chumped on by a world that's moved beyond them? The ones from under the rocks are just as terrifyingly powerful as they ever were, it's their descendants that are all lovely and weak.

Along with the surprising twist that they're only minimally more insane than they used to be

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 20, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The forkrul are pretty much one-man armies. By the time book 9 rolls around, lots of the good guy main characters are also one-man armies.
The world breakingly powerful entities of the Malazan world that aren't gods are sidetracked doing their own thing (Karsa, Draconus), incapacitated (Dassem Ultor, Icarium), or show up really late to the party (Hood).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Apparently SE almost had film adaptions of the first 3 books locked down in 2017 but funding for the project was pulled because the film companies director was Harvey Weinstein.

Also more news that the Karsa series takes place 4 to 5 years after the finale of TCG.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

How many movies was each book going to be? I can't imagine GoTM would be doable in one without severe cuts.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I finished Blood and Bone and I am glad that the death March meant nothing.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

How many movies was each book going to be? I can't imagine GoTM would be doable in one without severe cuts.

Sounds like one book per film with a Tavore story thread to tie them together. Not a whole lot of info though.

https://twitter.com/malazan_quotes/status/1031619247556976640?s=19

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

The original script for GotM was just the Darujhistan stuff. Shame its buried on a decaying floppy disk, would be fascinating to read. I know Crokus wasnt in any of the gaming sessions, can't remember if he was created for the book or the movie.

But even cutting out all the ancillary bits, your still left with a film that's half crime caper, half war movie, and ends with two giant dragon battles. And that's a weird loving movie.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Two questions regarding RotCG/TtH:

1. In TtH, Dassem has a vendetta against Hood, which relates to his daughter. Did I miss where this was explained at some point, or are the precise details meant to be a mystery at this stage?
2. In the epilogue of RotCG, Dassem has a conversation with Hood following the climactic battle. His animosity towards Hood does not seem to be present here - what am I missing?

Finally, a query about book order. I've decided, having just finished TtH, to read Stonewielder (which I started today) and Orb, Sceptre, Throne before the final two Erikson books, which I've heard are best read without splitting up. Is there any compelling reason not to do this?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
dang I really tried with the kharkanas trilogy, the first one was cool and good, definitely not midnight tides or memories of ice tier but good for laying the foundation

Forge of Darkness is BAD y'all holy poo poo I'm thirty percent through and about to straight give up.

the navelgazing goes above and beyond toll the hounds and you just straight up do not give a poo poo enough about any of the forty characters he really did give the ol college try at distinguishing in book one.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Two questions regarding RotCG/TtH:

1. In TtH, Dassem has a vendetta against Hood, which relates to his daughter. Did I miss where this was explained at some point, or are the precise details meant to be a mystery at this stage?
2. In the epilogue of RotCG, Dassem has a conversation with Hood following the climactic battle. His animosity towards Hood does not seem to be present here - what am I missing?

Finally, a query about book order. I've decided, having just finished TtH, to read Stonewielder (which I started today) and Orb, Sceptre, Throne before the final two Erikson books, which I've heard are best read without splitting up. Is there any compelling reason not to do this?

All of what we know comes from two snippets in TtH and DG: Hood used Dassem's daughter as part of the latest chaining (something that could have been averted had Envy/Spite been there) - maybe as some kind of Mhybe? It's hard to guess why that many ascendants would need a mortal. She was mortally injured, so Dassem stashed her in the Trelermor Azath, and told Hood to go gently caress himself

As to point 2 - the animosity is still there, at least on Dassem's side. It seems Hood is more chill about the situation, or at least is willing to respect Dassem when he's on Lord of Tragedy business. Dassem's not really the guy to be full on hostile, he's more weary than angry

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I can’t imagine Malazan as a mainstream movie. It’s the most impenetrable of the popular epic fantasy series and so weighed down with lore. I’m sure the vfx would look cool but it would take a master director to make it comprehensible.

Like the stuff with warrens and azath houses and ancient trapped races and dragon descendants of abstract concepts...yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'd cringe at a TV representation of Anomander. Even putting aside potential blackface issues, it's eyeroll-inducing.

"lemme get this straight, he's a super old super powerful elf with a sweet magic sword - oh and he also turns into a dragon? Hmm..."

Done poorly he's your DM's PC. The one he keeps putting in the game, and won't let you kill.