Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you dont as the new one will be adapting the first novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, not really! And as a matter of fact, it's the other way around. Kind of. Bear with me here because, while I have most of the books, I haven't read them in a while.

While Boogiepop Phantom (the 2000 series) is based partly on the first novel (the one which is hopefully getting fully adapted next year, which was originally called Boogiepop and Others / Boogiepop doesn't laugh), it takes on a lot more elements / stories from the prequel which is the 6th book in the series and was released a full year and a half later which is called Boogiepop at Dawn. Kinda like Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero or Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari. So, after watching the one coming out next year, you can go back to the old one and be all "Whoa!"

e: Davincieeeee! :argh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 24, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks Harukana Receive as Shii-chan fall for the power of great abs!

Also the end reveal for Kanata and Narumi keeping their child hood promise is super good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still haven't found the time or balls to marathon all of the Monogataris in 6 years.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

I still haven't found the time or balls to marathon all of the Monogataris in 6 years.

It's a good show. Although Marathoning it might be a bit much.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've seen three new anime movies in the past week and a half, and thought I should write a bit about them.

Mirai no Mirai: Another entry in Mamoru Hosodas series of "family" themed movies, this one focusing on the troubles of becoming an older sibling and no longer having your parents all to yourself. Despite the title, the main character isn't Mirai (the new born daughter) but Gun (the older brother, I think around 3-4 years old), and there's also a fair share of the past in it, not just future (mirai). I'm not sure I like it that well, overall the storytelling felt somewhat rushed, pretty much just hopping from plot point to plot point. The sound was also almost hurting my ears, but I'm not sure if that was a problem with the sound production or just the theater. I might give it another view (with subtitles) later, but I don't have high expectations.

Penguin Highway: Didn't expect this one, saw it on the posters and in-theater trailers while looking for tickets for Mirai no Mirai. It looked fun, so went and saw it and I'm glad I did. on the surface this is just a very silly flick about penguins suddenly appearing out of nowhere in a Japanese town, and the children trying to figure out what's going on. There's also apparently a large sphere of water floating in mid air. I'll probably want to see this one again, because I'm quite sure there's also a story about awakening to puberty in there, considering the main boy (4th grader) is caught several times staring at the dentist's assistant's breasts. Anyway you should see this one.

Non Non Biyori ~vacation~: Yep went and saw this one on the opening day. It's the story about the entire cast going on a summer vacation to Okinawa and having fun. There's no deep meaning, it's just cute, fun, pretty, and heartwarming. And definitely not boring. The girls also make a new friend on the southern islands. This is a must-watch if you like NNB, and if you haven't seen NNB yet start with the TV series.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

nielsm posted:

Non Non Biyori ~vacation~: Yep went and saw this one on the opening day. It's the story about the entire cast going on a summer vacation to Okinawa and having fun. There's no deep meaning, it's just cute, fun, pretty, and heartwarming. And definitely not boring. The girls also make a new friend on the southern islands. This is a must-watch if you like NNB, and if you haven't seen NNB yet start with the TV series.

Great to hear! Can't wait until I'm able to see it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

If you want to get into the Monogatari series, here's what you need to know:
  • There are four "Seasons" to the story. The first three seasons have been almost completely told.
  • All in all, and even breaking down the three movies into twenty-something-minute episodes by virtue of their running time, we're talking about over a hundred episodes currently out. 110 even?
  • The best order is still probably the order they came out.
  • Akiyuki Shinbo (the general director of the series as a whole) is planning to adapt ALL the novels. Last I read/heard that's still sort of the plan despite Nisio seemingly having no plan of stopping (currently, 17 out of the 24 novels available have been adapted, with a planned 28).
The anime seasons are more or less properly organized. For example: The first "season" has Bakemonogatari (12 episodes, 3 ovas) and Nisemonogatari (11 episodes), which are both a cour each, along with the 4-episode OVA for Nekomonogatari Black which came out all in one night (I think the night after Kokoro Connect's own Michi Random 4-Episode OVA aired). So you can try and tackle one cour/season at a time, so that you don't get burned-out.

Neat! Saw you posting the one about Non Non Biyori. Liked the show a bunch. Here's hoping I get to see the movie in BD. :)

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
kizumonogatari is okay to watch anytime after bake but for best impact it's best watched around Owarimonogatari

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I watched Kizu as it became available, so it was after the first part of Owari, but I think in retrospect I would have gotten more out of a lot of parts of the series if I had been able to watch Kizu earlier. I'd suggest watching it after Bake or at least before Second Season. I still loved watching Monogatari in the anime's release order, but Kizu was the second book to be released and so the later installments kind of expect you to have read it already.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's a good show. Although Marathoning it might be a bit much.
I know it's godlike because I marathoned Bake and Nise when I first discovered it (those were the only ones out) and then wept when I ran out of episodes. But never since.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 25, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harukana Receive

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Akari is a very modern teen

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The rest of the cast is good, but Haruka's boundless dumbass enthusiasm is probably what keeps me watching Harukana

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Harukana Receive

Same

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Speaking of Monogatari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDb4Eqau9vU

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA :vince:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

Harukana Receive

Everyone in this series is extremely gay, and it's extremely good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Everyone in this series is extremely gay, and it's extremely good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

chumbler posted:

Harukana Receive

Marissa is good

The actual opposite of badminton mum

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Marissa's car....

That was a very sweet episode

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
How did I miss this news!?

Hey Your Cat Ears are Showing is getting an anime: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/08/24-1/chinese-web-manga-hey-your-cat-ears-are-showing-gets-tv-anime
https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1032827114242756608

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxmYJAVGkM

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you're watching Island (or are thinking about watching it), please play the game instead (now out in English), because the anime really isn't a good adaption of the source material.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I would rather get stranded in an island than do that

e: and I would feel the need to report back

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Oh nooo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Call me square, but I dig when Ryu's whole "The answer lies in the heat of battle" is used by other characters.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I support cat bfs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Call me square, but I dig when Ryu's whole "The answer lies in the heat of battle" is used by other characters.

Not in this show.

Never in this show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Not in this show.

Never in this show.

Nozomi at least found her answer on the court. The one positive match in the show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Not in this show.

Never in this show.

Is there at least the sustainable of life on the battlefield?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I'm finally catching up with the shows I was watching this season after taking a break to smash through Trails in the Sky.

Two things:

When did Harukana Receive turn into an idol anime, and how the gently caress is it giving Symphogear a run for its money in how close it can get to being a yuri anime WITHOUT EXPLICITLY BEING ONE.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iospace posted:

Two things:

When did Harukana Receive turn into an idol anime, and how the gently caress is it giving Symphogear a run for its money in how close it can get to being a yuri anime WITHOUT EXPLICITLY BEING ONE.

The answers to your questions are Episode 7 and THE POWER OF BEACH VOLLEYBALL, respectively.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

When you think about it, a Beach Volleyball partnership is BASICALLY like a marriage

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, it's interesting comparing and contrasting Harukana and Hanebado.

Harukana: the departed partner is glad to see her buddy coming back into the sport, and genuinely wants to see her succeed. They haven't gotten into contact yet, but it should be a pleasant reunion.

Hanebado: A mother so bad, she could give Gendo loving Ikari a run for his money as "worst anime parent ever."

e: Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Kanata's old partner wants Kanata to find some inner peace after what happened in the last match with them together.

e2: was right, also SHE IS WAY TO NERVOUS AND SHY

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 27, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah her old partner isn't mad or anything, she's just still the same shy, timid girl Kanata first befriended without someone else nudging her.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Is there at least the sustainable of life on the battlefield?
That's the declaration Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans tried to make.

Alas, don't get your hopes up. :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I support cat bfs.

another group finally picked it up to continue translating also

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iospace posted:

a yuri anime WITHOUT EXPLICITLY BEING ONE.
Haruka calls Narumi Kanata's 'ex-girlfriend,' explicitly. The Japanese used there is literally exclusively romantic, there is no way to interpret that as anything other than 'ex-girlfriend.' Kanata doees not deny this and the story continues with that as their established relationship, because all of the beats and drama involving Narumi are framed like ex-girlfriends who haven't gotten over it.

How is that not explicit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No ones said 'im gay' yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

No ones said 'im gay' yet
akari basically did