Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I can understand how people are hardstuck bronze while at the same time be baffled because of how easy it is to play at a silver level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
It is incredible how high the learning curve is for this game. I've done a fair amount of playing against bots just to learn the mechanics of the champs I am playing. I felt pretty good about things mechanically and so I figured I'd try some PVP.

When I dip into a Standard game, I get crushed so badly it isn't funny (or even fun). I try to take some learning from each match and its slow going. The gap between good and bad is so huge I wonder if I am capable of overcoming it mainly because the crucible in which I'm learning is so brutal. For instance, I had a game last night as ADC where I was clearly feeding badly -- 1/15/4. I didn't know how to stop the bleeding! I was trying everything -- laying back and farming under tower? I got divebombed by jungle and 2 bot laners who smelled blood. Try retreating to mid to try to escape and hopefully get some back up? nope. At one point I felt like I would better benefit the team by sitting in the base and hiding. It was mighty discouraging. That said, I wasn't getting any help -- my supposed "support" didn't really help at all and even was mixing things up in such a way that it felt like they were making it worse.

Ok that's enough whining. My question was -- is there any matchmaking going on in Standard games? In the match I was crushed, I was matched with level 171, level 120, etc. Me and the support Morgana were levels 14 and 6 respectively. Is that just what I need to expect and I'll take my lumps? I feel bad for the teams that get saddled with me until I learn the ropes.

edit: Yes, its my first MOBA.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

its curtains for Kevin posted:

If after 10 years they’re gone no further than playing 5 chords out of time and bitch about how nobody wants to be in a band with them yes

That's being annoyed at them. Not being baffled they exist.

henkman posted:

I can understand how people are hardstuck bronze while at the same time be baffled because of how easy it is to play at a silver level

Easy for you. Other people aren't you and it might not be the same for them.

duck trucker fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 24, 2018

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

most people stuck in b5 started down there so the fact that it's near impossible to fall out of silver 5 is irrelevant

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

he1ixx posted:

Ok that's enough whining. My question was -- is there any matchmaking going on in Standard games?

Yes, but it's fairly flawed compared to Ranked. The big issue is that your Normals MMR is separate from your Ranked MMR, meaning that someone who's been almost exclusively playing Ranked for the past 3-4 years can decide to play some Normals for shits and giggles with their friends and be at the same Normals MMR as you. There's also no queue limit, so facing up against 3-4 people on voice comms isn't unusual. Even for someone who's been playing this game for a long time like me, Normals is suboptimal for trying to actually practice in a realistic environment due to the enormous variance you can have in "real" skill level between the teams.

The best thing I can recommend until you hit 30 is to simply focus on practicing mechanics and the absolute basics of laning: looking at your minimap, CSing well, looking for good opportunities to trade, etc. You want to build your confidence in the basics, because that's where almost every new player falls down the most, and practicing them will give you a considerable edge over those other players. Losing does suck, but learning how to take a loss without feeling terrible about it - even if you do badly - is a vital skill in playing a game like League where a huge number of variables are completely out of your control. Once you hit 30, pick a few champions (2-3 at the most) you have unlocked and enjoy playing and just spam those. You'll eventually get placed with people who are at your approximate skill level, and you'll be able to practice much more efficiently there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

he1ixx posted:

Ok that's enough whining. My question was -- is there any matchmaking going on in Standard games? In the match I was crushed, I was matched with level 171, level 120, etc. Me and the support Morgana were levels 14 and 6 respectively. Is that just what I need to expect and I'll take my lumps? I feel bad for the teams that get saddled with me until I learn the ropes.

There's a hidden skill level like in most games, but if you're only just starting to go into PvP games it might take a few games for it to figure that stuff out. Don't worry too much about people's account levels, that's more a measure of how long they've been playing than any kind of skill level. If you're trying out a new champ as well, go into the practice tool (under the training game type where the tutorial stuff is) just to get an idea of how their abilities work.

Also anyone who rages at someone who's below L30 is dumb, and even more so anyone who's raging in normals.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 24, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The most important thing to remember when playing League of Legends is that everyone in your games, regardless of their current performance, has had games as bad or worse than the one you're playing at that moment. Everyone playing this game for more than a year has dozens and dozens of games where they hardcore fed their rear end off and lost the game for their team, or made some boneheaded engage that gave over Baron, or Flashed the wrong way in full view of everyone, or accidentally took an extra turret shot and died looking like a buffoon. Don't be afraid of failure.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Vermain posted:

The most important thing to remember when playing League of Legends is that everyone in your games, regardless of their current performance, has had games as bad or worse than the one you're playing at that moment. Everyone playing this game for more than a year has dozens and dozens of games where they hardcore fed their rear end off and lost the game for their team, or made some boneheaded engage that gave over Baron, or Flashed the wrong way in full view of everyone, or accidentally took an extra turret shot and died looking like a buffoon. Don't be afraid of failure.

I am going to print this out and put it next to my mouse pad.

Thanks everybody for the great feedback. I have noticed a huge hole in my game after the latest losses -- I don't look at my minimap enough. Also I need to ward better.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

he1ixx posted:

I am going to print this out and put it next to my mouse pad.

Thanks everybody for the great feedback. I have noticed a huge hole in my game after the latest losses -- I don't look at my minimap enough. Also I need to ward better.

Good stuff. Looking at the minimap seems like a 'well duh' kind of skill but so many people pay no attention to it whatsoever. When you're in lane near the start of a game and considering a risky play, think about the enemy jungler: where are they right now? Did you see them in top lane 10 seconds ago? You're probably OK to go ham. I've died a lot because I think I can kill the enemy ADC so I'll use my flash+ignite, only to have an 'ah gently caress' moment when the jungler shows up and scoops a double kill.

Everybody will tell you warding is super important too so its good you recognized that as an area to develop. Do not be the prima donna ADC who thinks vision is exclusively the supports job. Buy control wards. The 75g spent will either earn you more money either through an early gank warning, or revealing a jungler who's too far forward without support and easy money.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

most people stuck in b5 started down there so the fact that it's near impossible to fall out of silver 5 is irrelevant

Yeah I'd say it's harder to dig your way out of Bronze than fall back into it, the 1v9 can be real in Bronze.

Once you're over the hump and your teammates have a vague idea what they're doing and what the objectives are it gets much easier.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

el dingo posted:

Good stuff. Looking at the minimap seems like a 'well duh' kind of skill but so many people pay no attention to it whatsoever. When you're in lane near the start of a game and considering a risky play, think about the enemy jungler: where are they right now? Did you see them in top lane 10 seconds ago? You're probably OK to go ham. I've died a lot because I think I can kill the enemy ADC so I'll use my flash+ignite, only to have an 'ah gently caress' moment when the jungler shows up and scoops a double kill.

Everybody will tell you warding is super important too so its good you recognized that as an area to develop. Do not be the prima donna ADC who thinks vision is exclusively the supports job. Buy control wards. The 75g spent will either earn you more money either through an early gank warning, or revealing a jungler who's too far forward without support and easy money.

I was playing the game with someone in the room with me and they kept saying stuff like "yeah I saw that jungler coming in from below. I figured you saw it on the map" and realized that there are just things that more experienced players do naturally due to practice. Map awareness is definitely something I plan on working on.

Another thing is just the knowledge gap in general. The opposing team had a Pantheon. I didn't realize that the huge orange circle was his R and it meant I was about to get my poo poo pushed in and well...that ended badly a few times. Also they had a hulking tank of a character that kept fighting for a few seconds after he died. I had no idea that was a thing so I'd send a killing blow his way and then croak. Plus Tryndamere(?) had this shield that he'd pop at next to no health. I thought he was one-hit-to-go, hit my Q and turned around assuming he was dead and whammo -- another dead Jinx. There is so much stuff like that to learn. It will all come with experience I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

he1ixx posted:

I was playing the game with someone in the room with me and they kept saying stuff like "yeah I saw that jungler coming in from below. I figured you saw it on the map" and realized that there are just things that more experienced players do naturally due to practice. Map awareness is definitely something I plan on working on.

Another thing is just the knowledge gap in general. The opposing team had a Pantheon. I didn't realize that the huge orange circle was his R and it meant I was about to get my poo poo pushed in and well...that ended badly a few times. Also they had a hulking tank of a character that kept fighting for a few seconds after he died. I had no idea that was a thing so I'd send a killing blow his way and then croak. Plus Tryndamere(?) had this shield that he'd pop at next to no health. I thought he was one-hit-to-go, hit my Q and turned around assuming he was dead and whammo -- another dead Jinx. There is so much stuff like that to learn. It will all come with experience I guess.

Yeah you will eventually learn what everyone does, unless you're going to read through every champ's skillset there are going to be times when you just get bodied from not knowing what someone's capable of.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

he1ixx posted:

yeah, tryndamere has dazzle's shallow grave as his R and can activate it when stunned/rooted/silenced/whatever (and a fat self-heal for when it expires, natch).

edit: i had in my head for some reason that you were a dota player? if not, i apologize for my other reference that made no sense!

tryndamere's R stops him from dying for 5 seconds, period, no matter what. (technically, it stops him from falling below ~50 HP, but, yknow. same thing

Spokes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 24, 2018

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

if you lose all 10 placement games you get placed in silver 5 or bronze 1.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

he1ixx posted:

I was playing the game with someone in the room with me

depending on what their normal MMR is this might be what's getting you in a situation where you're being stomped. if you're playing with someone more skilled than you matchmaking will tend to drag you up to their rating more often than it pulls them down to yours when deciding who to pit you against, especially when you're just starting out and the pool of equally unskilled players is smaller.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

League of Legends Season 8: "pool of equally unskilled players"

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

d0grent posted:

I went 6-4 and got b4. Took me 63 games at 62% win rate to climb to s5.

Edit: nm started at b3. Finished b4 last season. Point still stands.

acumen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 24, 2018

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

d0grent posted:

Not if you're a brand spanking new account.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

he1ixx posted:

this MIGHT sound crazy but try swapping the minimap to the other side. people have dominant eyes and when my minimap is in the default position it barely registers but having it on the left side puts it in my peripheral vision and way easier to see

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

TVsVeryOwn posted:

League of Legends Season 8: "pool of equally unskilled players"

This is the zen koan that keeps me playing the game. By performance, happenstance, and time I am facing people exactly as bad as I am. Unlike pickup games of basketball at the gym, there is a large enough pool of players that a full game of 10 chuds equally as bad as each other will be assembled within 3 minutes every time you want to play.

All you can do is play better than the last time you played this videogame.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Even the tiniest modicum of trying and critical thinking will keep you out of low bronze. To remain stuck in such a low ranking shows you don't care about getting better or are not really trying to improve yourself.

Basically, never be the type of player that tells people that are at a much higher rank they are wrong when they give advice. They got to where they are by playing the game correctly. The worst cases of bronze stuck people are when their egos are so small they automatically lose because they believe they are so bad they will always be bronze so they create a self fulfilling prophecy. Likewise bigheaded dicks will refuse to ever look inward and make excuses for why they can't win.

Think critically. Understand and absorb information from your failures.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How Rude posted:

Even the tiniest modicum of trying and critical thinking will keep you out of low bronze. To remain stuck in such a low ranking shows you don't care about getting better or are not really trying to improve yourself.

Basically, never be the type of player that tells people that are at a much higher rank they are wrong when they give advice. They got to where they are by playing the game correctly. The worst cases of bronze stuck people are when their egos are so small they automatically lose because they believe they are so bad they will always be bronze so they create a self fulfilling prophecy. Likewise bigheaded dicks will refuse to ever look inward and make excuses for why they can't win.

Think critically. Understand and absorb information from your failures.

Also Keeby: "Why am I getting camped in top lane UGHHH"

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Just play Aram till you're 30 and then keep playing Aram. Also i just hit 2000 mmr in Aram!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Man I know his winrate doesn't reflect it, but I think Pyke is complete bullshit. I don't know what Riot's fascination is with making champs with tons of mobility + stealth but he's absolute cancer to play against.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Riot's champ team hasn't really cared how enjoyable their new champs are to play against for years now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

someone was talking about this recently and i cant remember if it was in this thread or ex clg coach tony or fuckin imaqtpie but they mentioned that riot used to try to design champs that were fun to play and fun to play against but they eventually realized that fun to play champs were never fun to play against and gave up trying to appease both those things.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mystery Prize posted:

Man I know his winrate doesn't reflect it, but I think Pyke is complete bullshit. I don't know what Riot's fascination is with making champs with tons of mobility + stealth but he's absolute cancer to play against.

his winrate with people who have played some games on him is pretty decent. I don't think he's particularly op but I like the champ a lot.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Not if you're a brand spanking new account.

Yes, on a brand new never-played-ranked account

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

rabidsquid posted:

someone was talking about this recently and i cant remember if it was in this thread or ex clg coach tony or fuckin imaqtpie but they mentioned that riot used to try to design champs that were fun to play and fun to play against but they eventually realized that fun to play champs were never fun to play against and gave up trying to appease both those things.

weird thing to realize, there are tons of champs that are fun to play against

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't think making every champion actively fun to play against is a reasonable design goal but they can & should (but don't) make champs that aren't stupid unfun bullshit to play against

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

JerryLee posted:

I don't think making every champion actively fun to play against is a reasonable design goal but they can & should (but don't) make champs that aren't stupid unfun bullshit to play against

The more annoying they are, the more satisfying it is to dunk on them

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I'd say it's harder to dig your way out of Bronze than fall back into it, the 1v9 can be real in Bronze.

Once you're over the hump and your teammates have a vague idea what they're doing and what the objectives are it gets much easier.

i helped my friend out of bronze 5 matchmaking and it was the loving best experience in league of legends. like, the people there were so repugnant that i did not feel bad about the stompy nature of games and it was so comically easy you have no idea, i was basically able to 1v2 bot lane as nami because the enemies did nothing about me attacking them or would try to all in and tank the minions and towers to punish my aggression and then solo 1v5 carry games as nami

Mystery Prize posted:

pyke mains are going to eat you alive but there is merit to this post. i do not hate pyke but it is really annoying playing against him because the guy can get away from stuff really easily and also you now have to watch out for the support potentially executing people in team fights which is some poo poo that you never want to do

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 25, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There are some champions who are fun to play against Pyke, for example with Lucian it's kind of a dance/game of chicken where you try to save your dash up for when he goes in and then dash out of his stun and then used the close proximity to punish him quickly.

And then there are some ADCs i play like say Ashe where if i don't respect Pyke and I don't have Flash i'm literally just dead no matter what I do which is really hard to deal with sometimes. In general having a small (but not too small) roster of champions for the role you're interested in who can all play differently into different matchups is the eventual ideal, imho

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one of the thing that sucks is that there are only two adcs with decent gap closers so its hard to have a deep roster of champs i enjoy at my favorite role

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I'm starting to suspect tower damage is an overlooked factor for getting good champ grades.

I just got what felt like the least deserved S ever. S- for going 9/5/24 on Kog In ARAM.
77cs (in 17 mins) doesnt feel like it should be nearly enough to push that into S territory, and it's not like Kog has a bad aram-winrate either.
Our Varus went 16/5/18, 51cs, 35%+ more champ damage than me, and No S for him.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

iSurrender posted:

I just got what felt like the least deserved S ever. S- for going 9/5/24 on Kog In ARAM.
77cs (in 17 mins) doesnt feel like it should be nearly enough to push that into S territory, and it's not like Kog has a bad aram-winrate either.
Our Varus went 16/5/18, 51cs, 35%+ more champ damage than me, and No S for him.

I think that is more likely a case of champ specific grading. Varus had strong poke early which is really powerful in aram, and then scales well into team fights. The average Varus does really well (see also, Lux, Velkoz, etc etc) whereas the average kog seems to mostly feed - - even if they start to do well late, they've likely had quite a few deaths /tough minutes on the way. Therefore, it's easier to get an S as kog. I think that's a more likely explanation than the algorithm accounting for some other unexpected factor.

Also learned I'm in the top 1.5% of aram players from that whatismymmr site; if only I spent any of that time playing ranked, whoops. I guess just playing (e:) games is important (shocking news).

foutre fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 26, 2018

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

foutre posted:

Also learned I'm in the top 1.5% of aram players from that whatismymmr site; if only I spent any of that time playing ranked, whoops. I guess just passing games is important (shocking news).

As a low gold player I'm unsurprisingly in the top ~20% in aram as well, on my 2 euw accounts, but somehow 500+ mmr points higher and top 4% on eune.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

he1ixx posted:

It is incredible how high the learning curve is for this game. I've done a fair amount of playing against bots just to learn the mechanics of the champs I am playing. I felt pretty good about things mechanically and so I figured I'd try some PVP.

When I dip into a Standard game, I get crushed so badly it isn't funny (or even fun). I try to take some learning from each match and its slow going. The gap between good and bad is so huge I wonder if I am capable of overcoming it mainly because the crucible in which I'm learning is so brutal. For instance, I had a game last night as ADC where I was clearly feeding badly -- 1/15/4. I didn't know how to stop the bleeding! I was trying everything -- laying back and farming under tower? I got divebombed by jungle and 2 bot laners who smelled blood. Try retreating to mid to try to escape and hopefully get some back up? nope. At one point I felt like I would better benefit the team by sitting in the base and hiding. It was mighty discouraging. That said, I wasn't getting any help -- my supposed "support" didn't really help at all and even was mixing things up in such a way that it felt like they were making it worse.

There's some light matchmaking, yes, the game starts off brutally even with the matchmaking trying to pull smurfs as far away from you as possible, and you should not play against bots as it'll only lead to bad habits. It'll be brutal but that's to be expected.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

foutre posted:

Also learned I'm in the top 1.5% of aram players from that whatismymmr site; if only I spent any of that time playing ranked, whoops. I guess just passing games is important (shocking news).

2490 MMR / top 0.87% lmao

I've played too much ARAM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I do not know how much sanity is left in this near empty shell after another weekend of ranked.
I got initially placed in S5, got as high as S2 and am back to S5 after a good 10 losses in a row.

I just dont know what to do anymore, it seems whatever position i take, its just not enough to give 200% as somewhere is someone who appearently plays with a steering wheel.