Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

e hasn't been writing for the Daily Show for the past like 3 years, I don't remember if he left when Jon Stewart did or before that but it's been a while.
He's the head writer of the new MST3K now. He also moved to LA and had a child in the past few years, he's pretty busy and I could have sworn he said that was what was keeping him from projects like writing comics but I can't find it online. It might have been at some live show I saw him at in Brooklyn prior to him moving west?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

This week, punisher by Matthew Rosenberg

https://twitter.com/TheTopBananaDW/status/1032734294777716738

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

lmao

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Edge & Christian posted:

He's the head writer of the new MST3K now. He also moved to LA and had a child in the past few years, he's pretty busy and I could have sworn he said that was what was keeping him from projects like writing comics but I can't find it online. It might have been at some live show I saw him at in Brooklyn prior to him moving west?

He straight up told me that he's willing, just Marvel hasn't had any open spots for him. That and he and Joel really wants to do Inframan for MST3K.

I really enjoyed West Coast Avengers. It actually makes me want to dig up some of the old series, as honestly, I never read it because why would I want to read about a bunch of second tier Avengers?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The old series is very, very different. It was my intro to comics as a little kid, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it now.

The best way to describe original WCA is that there's an issue where Hank Pym decides to commit suicide because Tigra dumped him and he feels like a failure as a hero. It's a super serious, maudlin story arc. Hank writes his suicide note, he calls Jan in NYC to speak to her one last time before he goes, and then he winds up with a gun pressed to his temple and his finger on the trigger. One of the narration boxes is literally, "he can smell the bullet".

This is interspersed with the rest of the West Coast Avengers having an adventure in the desert where they fight a talking cactus called Pulp and a living rock lady called Butte. Like, the Hank Pym prepares to shoot himself in the head story breaks every few pages for Hawkeye and Tigra dodging cactus needles and shooting arrows at a villain whose codename is, again, Butte.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, West Coast Avengers is where the Scarlet Witch's kids vanishing from their crib and getting turned into demonic baby arms happened. Thanks, John Byrne!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Who could forget such WCA classics like “raped by a ghost cowboy” and “woman loses everything and becomes a vessel for primordial black goo trying to get an in on mutants”?

There’s a reason why no one gave a toss about The Avengers pre-2000, the books were nearly always bad. Hell, Alpha Flight often looked good in comparison.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Sentinel Red posted:

Hell, Alpha Flight often looked good in comparison.

Hey now, let's not bring Alpha Flight into this!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

That and he and Joel really wants to do Inframan for MST3K.

Oh my god yes please.

Sentinel Red posted:

Who could forget such WCA classics like “raped by a ghost cowboy” and “woman loses everything and becomes a vessel for primordial black goo trying to get an in on mutants”?

And also Tigra turning feral because I don't think he wanted to be bothered with her.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Sentinel Red posted:

There’s a reason why no one gave a toss about The Avengers pre-2000, the books were nearly always bad. Hell, Alpha Flight often looked good in comparison.

Which is a shame, because Kurt Busiek actually did some good work on the series right before that date. I did not read the book at the time, too distracted by the X-Men and so on, but his Avengers material was easily above average as a whole.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For whatever reason when I was a kid my local store never carried Alpha Flight and it also never made the "here's a million comics" packs either so my only context for what was happening there was Marvel Handbooks.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1033010046953775107

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Never read much Conan, but I will definitely read this because I love Aaron's work.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That sounds like a perfect fit

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sentinel Red posted:

This isn't really true. There's plenty of good Avengers comics, and people bought the books and cared about them. Kirby, Busiek/Perez, Roger Stern, Kree-Skrull War...

I understand where "no one cared or liked the Avengers before Bendis" comes from but that doesn't make it accurate. The Avengers were popular but they were... normal popular? It's hard to overstate how the massive, massive success of the X-Men warped perception of everything else around them for a long time to the point that the reversal when New Avengers came out and the Avengers became Marvel's golden boy is still kind of weird. It's hard to remember it now but there was a time when Marvel put a banner saying "The Non-Mutant Superhero!" on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man.

Plus people like to talk about the horrible stinkers from the 70s-90s because like, wow are they bad. Avengers 200 is one of the worst comics ever printed, the Crossing is an absolute disaster, and WCA is just a weird vehicle for Byrne's creepy pettiness and (I say this as someone who likes a lot of his work) Englehart's Englehartness.

Although I'm guessing you're more talking about the 90s. Even that's a bit skewed in retrospect. I agree that the period from Stern's departure (although Walt Simonson had a short run then) to Buisek/Perez was a pretty dark time for the Avengers but even then like, Operation Galactic Storm was a pretty big hit. But yeah, like I said the Crossing was a disaster and that definitely hosed up the Avengers to the point where Onslaught and Heroes Reborn happened.

Oh, and the incorrect idea that Busiek/Perez ended and Ultimates started up due to bad sales doesn't help either.

Aaron and Ribic on Conan just makes sense.

Hope their new collections of old Conans are good.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 24, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Sentinel Red posted:

The Avengers had a bunch of memorable and interesting runs in the 20th century. Roger Stern should go without saying, and Christopher Priest and Walt Simonson both had fun but sadly truncated tenures later in the 80s. The only "bad" 80s run I can think of ( mean, just Avengers Avengers, WCA was always pretty bad in my opinion) was John Byrne's, who also wrote the only good Alpha Flight run (well, depending on how much you like Steven Seagle I guess-- I'd also say that the Hudson/Calimee run is, while incoherent nonsense, not like anything else being published at the time and worth a quarter if you see it around). There was also some pretty mediocre Jim Shooter stuff but that was pre-Alpha Flight. On either side of the 80s you have plenty of Thomas/Englehart which, while never my cup of tea, was at least consistently at a pretty high level of craftsmanship, and then years of Bob Harras which honestly has aged better than a lot of other Marvel titles of that period. And then of course Busiek comes in in 1998, doing a more sophisticated take on Thomas/Englehart style manic worldbuilding and which as far as I know is almost universally considered a welcome corrective and a lot of fun. a high watermark of the late 90s.

I'd say the windows in which Alpha Flight could have realistically been considered a better comic than The Avengers is actually pretty narrow, really only up for debate when Stern was on The Avengers and Byrne was on Alpha Flight. And in that case, both were exceptionally well done superhero comics either way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

pubic works project posted:

Never read much Conan, but I will definitely read this because I love Aaron's work.

Aaron definitely sounds happy about it

https://twitter.com/jasonaaron/status/1033023560426708992?s=19

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Archyduke posted:

There was also some pretty mediocre Jim Shooter stuff but that was pre-Alpha Flight.

Shooter's Avengers tenure is weird because he has two. The first is good but the second is godawful garbage.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hey now, let's not bring Alpha Flight into this!

That’s my secret, Cap...

..I fuckin’ love that run of Alpha Flight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My friends podcast just did Vision Quest, which uh, I thought might have been an outlyer of WCA stuff, but nope looks like its pretty standard. Wanda giving Wonderman and non consensual handy :stare:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Aaron on Conan means this Thor run is about to either suddenly wrap up or tank in quality.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

twistedmentat posted:

My friends podcast just did Vision Quest, which uh, I thought might have been an outlyer of WCA stuff, but nope looks like its pretty standard. Wanda giving Wonderman and non consensual handy :stare:

Oh thats why people don't like John Byrne....

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

^burtle posted:

Aaron on Conan means this Thor run is about to either suddenly wrap up or tank in quality.

Why do you say that? He has done more than one book for a long time

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
For whatever reason, WCA became a title where writers with already problematic views on gender seemingly felt free to go full-tilt maniac. See also the infamous Mockingbird rape plotline and a lot of bad Tigra ideas. It's a modern miracle that Avengers #200 took place on the coast that it did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh thats why people don't like John Byrne....

I don't think you can narrow it down to one thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amusingly at the end of the new WCA there is also an unasked for kiss, but I assume Thompson is going somewhere in the second issue. Also it was a lot of fun and the art's great. I'm not quite sold on her Gwenpool, but it's not as bad as, say, Waid's.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I guess Marvel's teasing another Defenders revival: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/24/marvel-teaser-implies-defenders-revival/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Oh, and the incorrect idea that Busiek/Perez ended and Ultimates started up due to bad sales doesn't help either.

Yeah, they got Geoff Johns to write Avengers, and even though he wasn't quite the massive "his name on the cover shifts books" draw he became a few years later, he was still a pretty big get for Marvel; that Avengers run remains the only Marvel work he's done in his career.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

^burtle posted:

Aaron has said his Thor run is in its final stages.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, they got Geoff Johns to write Avengers, and even though he wasn't quite the massive "his name on the cover shifts books" draw he became a few years later, he was still a pretty big get for Marvel; that Avengers run remains the only Marvel work he's done in his career.

More than likely it's because they finally read it and said "You can't work here ever again"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

More than likely it's because they finally read it and said "You can't work here ever again"

Hahaha, I can't believe I forgot that Hank Pym spelunking in Las Vegas was one of Johns's issues.

I read that era of Avengers comics via reprints in Pannini's "Collector's Edition" magazines and they completely skipped over that one.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

That's one hell of creative team for that book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Archyduke posted:

For whatever reason, WCA became a title where writers with already problematic views on gender seemingly felt free to go full-tilt maniac. See also the infamous Mockingbird rape plotline and a lot of bad Tigra ideas. It's a modern miracle that Avengers #200 took place on the coast that it did.

Yeah, I got a cheap subscription back in the day, so I've got a pretty close to unbroken run of Englehart's tenure on the book in a longbox somewhere, and in retrospect, that book is just plain loving weird, even just on a craft level. People keep shouting out the end of their unrelated interior monologues, the team lineup is like watered-down Midnight Sons, everybody is low-key grappling with feelings of their own inferiority, and it's mostly a time-travel plot on top of everything else.

Also, Englehart was trying very hard to get Bonita Juarez over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I honestly can't decide if I dislike Englehart's writing or not, it's all over the place in quality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1033107995037786112
Boo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I feel like "all of Moon Knight's throwing weapons were designed in ancient Egypt by a time-traveling Hawkeye" is something we don't talk about enough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

I feel like "all of Moon Knight's throwing weapons were designed in ancient Egypt by a time-traveling Hawkeye" is something we don't talk about enough.

That was brought up too. Like uuuuh whats going on there?

I have some issues with the geography in Life of Captain Marvel. The Somewhere in Canada looks a hell of a lot like the west, so Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Blue lady steals a boat to go to Maine, which is closest to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the boats seen there are very clearly east coast fishing boats. Driving across most of Canada in a lovely pickup would take months, and its clear that this issue happens fairly soon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

That was brought up too. Like uuuuh whats going on there?

I have some issues with the geography in Life of Captain Marvel. The Somewhere in Canada looks a hell of a lot like the west, so Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Blue lady steals a boat to go to Maine, which is closest to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the boats seen there are very clearly east coast fishing boats. Driving across most of Canada in a lovely pickup would take months, and its clear that this issue happens fairly soon.

If it's not America then just expect a mish-mash of notable scenery and favourite stereotypes. Mounties earn their stripes by making the one-week horseback trip from the CN Tower to the Rockies where they climb to the top to be anointed by the Prime Minister using beer from the Stanley Cup.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

If it's not America then just expect a mish-mash of notable scenery and favourite stereotypes. Mounties earn their stripes by making the one-week horseback trip from the CN Tower to the Rockies where they climb to the top to be anointed by the Prime Minister using beer from the Stanley Cup.

That last part is true though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Canada is a weird Orwellian hellscape in Marvel continuity anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Canada is a weird Orwellian hellscape in Marvel continuity anyways

Uh, in real life too.