Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So.. Netbox 5 (Mikrotik RB911G-5HPacD-NB NetBox-5). PoE AF 48v or Passive 24v?!!!
I've got one of these and been powering it with the included Mikrotik Gigabit PoE injector. I got a new PoE switch and wanted to power all my stuff with it. Problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out if this Netbox 5 is 48v AF or 24v passive.

The Mikrotik manual says it is 8-30v Passive: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB911G-5HPacD-NB
Yet the actual PoE injector has a light, says its input voltage is same as output: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGPOE

Somehow I thought that you couldn't do Gigabit with passive PoE.. probably mistaken.

[edit] I looked at the power supply in question and it appears to be 24v output. I guess this is a passive PoE adapter?!

[edit2] Say I accidentally hook a passive 24v device to a PoE 48v AF switch. Wont the switch figure out it isn't AF and not power it?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Depending on the PoE power device and the router/AP, it could do nothing, or it could fry the passive device. Who knows. Theoretically no, but why chance it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most Mikrotik stuff isn't 802.3af/at PoE, it's all passive. This might let you power it from a PoE switch https://store.ubnt.com/collections/accessories/products/instant-802-3af-indoor-gigabit-poe-converter

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for that info. I did some testing with some older Ubiquiti devices, one being 24v passive, the other 48AF. I tried hooking the 24v passive into a Auto/AF Port and it did not power it, and did not kill it. Then I realized my new switch which is the Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 16 PoE has both 24v passive AND 48v AF. So I set one port to 24v passive and then hooked a normal 48v PoE AP to it, it did not kill it nor power it.

So it appears I can't really gently caress my stuff up. It's kinda nice because I have a mixture of passive 24v and 48v AF devices on my network. My goal was to get rid of the 10 power injectors which do security cameras, APs, and also routers.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Hope your distributor is stocked

https://eng.lsm.lv/article/economy/economy/big-fire-at-mikrotik-warehouse.a289329/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was just doing some config stuff in Winbox and noticed my DHCPv6 Client is broken or something. It does pull a v6 address correctly, assigns that to a pool but the entire Winbox line for that client is in RED (error or ?) If i disable and reenable it it will not throw any errors in the log file. I've no idea if it is a problem I should fix.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The latest WIP firmware finally enables HW crypto acceleration on the RB3100 :toot:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to do a firmware update and clear/redo on my older RB951G-2HnD. To my surprise all the IPv6 and firewall stuff is now in the default config. It's got some pretty interesting rules I hadn't seen before. Pretty cool!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just want RouterOS in cases designed by pretty much anybody else. The hEX range are pretty cool, as are the CCRs, but the smaller rackmount Routerboards look and feel like one-off electronics hobby projects.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The RB3011 feels like it is filled with helium and has horrible build quality. Good thing it's racked and no one can tell.. ;_;

[edit] I nearly returned the thing because the power jack kept falling out the back until I realized you have to ram it full force into the hole.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 25, 2018

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thanks Ants posted:

I just want RouterOS in cases designed by pretty much anybody else. The hEX range are pretty cool, as are the CCRs, but the smaller rackmount Routerboards look and feel like one-off electronics hobby projects.

They take the existing board and make a case for it, so the layout is dumb. Console port in the back of my RB2011 etc.

Remember when the original RB2011 power plug was inside the case? If you had to fish the cord through a small space, like idk 1U, you had to open the case to unplug it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've just replaced my Mikrotik with a PFsense box (I have 100/100 fiber) and before I was unable to max out my upload most of the time, maybe got 60-70mbps and chalked it up to my ISP. Now with PFsense I get 110/110 even any time of the day which leads me to believe somehow the Mikrotik was limiting my bandwidth. Thing is the Mikrotik has a 700mhz single core processor and was showing at most %60 CPU usage with me running speed tests. What gives?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 29, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I've just replaced my Mikrotik with a PFsense box (I have 100/100 fiber) and before I was unable to max out my upload most of the time, maybe got 60-70mbps and chalked it up to my ISP. Now with PFsense I get 110/110 even any time of the day which leads me to believe somehow the Mikrotik was limiting my bandwidth. Thing is the Mikrotik has a 700mhz single core processor and was showing at most %60 CPU usage with me running speed tests. What gives?

What model? How many rules did you have? Did you enable fast path? etc.

Hardware from a few years ago with a complicated rule setup probably easily overwhelm the device even at modest bandwidth. I had to upgrade to a newer RB configuration when I got my 150 in because it would cap out with anything fancy going on, which, of course, is why I bought the drat thing in the first place.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's the RB951G-2HND. I only really had normal firewall rules, default IPv6 with 3 forwards and 2 forwards for IPv4. That is it! I don't really know if fastpath was on or off but I can check.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Last I checked the fastpath stuff didn't work with IPv6.

You could reset the thing to factory defaults on a current version of RouterOS to rule out your configuration.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thebigcow posted:

Last I checked the fastpath stuff didn't work with IPv6.

You could reset the thing to factory defaults on a current version of RouterOS to rule out your configuration.

Thats actually what I did to arrive at that 50-60% usage number.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Weird. It's the same CPU as the RB2011 and those are good for ~300mb/s before fastpath.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Finally looks like wireless spec isn't way down the list on MikroTik's home office equipment

https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I keep hearing RouterOS doesn't take advantage of multicore CPUs well or at all, it's still single threaded ITYOOL 2018, is this true or something made up by an ER-X fanboy?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

I keep hearing RouterOS doesn't take advantage of multicore CPUs well or at all, it's still single threaded ITYOOL 2018, is this true or something made up by an ER-X fanboy?

My CCR-1072s reboot themselves with more than like 2-3 BGP peers doing full routes because the BGP process is single threaded and gets overwhelmed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I check in on their forums now and again, lots of features are being delayed until RouterOS 7, and RouterOS 7 is complete vapourware.

Apparently they can’t actually use a lot of the 802.11ac features of the radios either, as the OS doesn’t support it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've seen people talking about how certain features will be introduced in RouterOS 7 in forums going back to like 2014 or earlier. Definitely vaporware.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So what’s their future then ?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Partycat posted:

So what’s their future then ?

A big warehouse fire and a fat insurance payout.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Third world ISPs and WISPs that are also their market right now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A big warehouse fire and a fat insurance payout.

:golfclap:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My ISP does carrier grade NAT and has their network configured like poop. I can run Winbox on a computer connected directly to the ISP and it finds their CCR1016 Cloud Core router. *sigh*

And the firmware is older, from last year. Oh boy.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

My ISP does carrier grade NAT and has their network configured like poop. I can run Winbox on a computer connected directly to the ISP and it finds their CCR1016 Cloud Core router. *sigh*

Name and shame imo

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pendent posted:

Name and shame imo

It's a local fiber ISP. Nothing anyone else will have to deal with but it's this place: https://kitcarson.com/internet

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the providers we've started using supplies Mikrotik routers as the CPE which I assume means they also use them elsewhere.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

redeyes posted:

Jesus christ. I use a consumer-grade, non-Wifi Mikrotik device connected to a cable modem for internet access. I'm not a networking guru, but I keep it up to date as best I can and have done basic things like disabling remote administration etc. etc. I also don't use WinBox, but instead use the web interface for administration connected via a desktop & ethernet cable.

Does anyone in this thread feel this use case is not recommended due to the various security issues I see that are constantly cropping up in the past year? I have a few NAT routers & switches connected to it and the device has improved my internet speeds and latency in various applications immensely. Is there a go-to guide on hardening the default configs of various Mikrotik devices?

My own personal security/privacy is no more important than any other random person, but my main concern is unwittingly participating in malicious DDoS attacks and enabling various other evil poo poo due to my ignorance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just don't allow management from the WAN and pretty much all the recent Mikrotik problems go away. Either wait until you get home before logging onto the thing, or use a VPN.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

im depressed lol posted:

Jesus christ. I use a consumer-grade, non-Wifi Mikrotik device connected to a cable modem for internet access. I'm not a networking guru, but I keep it up to date as best I can and have done basic things like disabling remote administration etc. etc. I also don't use WinBox, but instead use the web interface for administration connected via a desktop & ethernet cable.

Does anyone in this thread feel this use case is not recommended due to the various security issues I see that are constantly cropping up in the past year? I have a few NAT routers & switches connected to it and the device has improved my internet speeds and latency in various applications immensely. Is there a go-to guide on hardening the default configs of various Mikrotik devices?

My own personal security/privacy is no more important than any other random person, but my main concern is unwittingly participating in malicious DDoS attacks and enabling various other evil poo poo due to my ignorance.

As far as I know, if you keep the firmware updated you should be good. If you skipped updates from like mid 2017 to mid 2018 there were patches that definitely prevented those DDoS exploits. I just switched from Mikrotik as my main router to PFsense because I wanted to try something different.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
I've been on top of keeping the OS and the firmware up to date, but maybe a PfSense box would be a cool little project to try and tackle. Thanks for the advice/re-assurance.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

redeyes posted:

I had this same issue with either Level3 or Windstream, I can't remember which. This was like 4 years ago. For shame.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

im depressed lol posted:

No, I haven’t heard of any major issues outside of vpnfilter , but that’s also because of the exposure and proliferation. The Linkskey and Dink-Link devices probably have severe issues but you don’t hear about them, and can’t do much.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had this same issue with either Level3 or Windstream, I can't remember which. This was like 4 years ago. For shame.

Windstream was like joker ISP so yeah if there’s someone who would have done that I’d say them. Level3 seemed professional at least.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Partycat posted:

Windstream was like joker ISP so yeah if there’s someone who would have done that I’d say them. Level3 seemed professional at least.

Fun fact: we had them both as "redundant" ISPs in case one failed we would have the other.
Windstream was using level3 for their last mile anyway so every time poo poo hit the fan with L3, we were hosed anyway.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe
So it looks like they've decided to update the bugfix branch from 6.40.9 to 6.42.9.

Anyone here brave enough to have already updated? Any issues with bridge/switch config migrations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Did you guys see this: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-14847

Feels like a constant stream of obnoxious exploits these days. This one fortunately doesn't appear to apply if you're using the winbox service to restrict access at least.