Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is that the loving glaive and lair of evil from KRULL?????

i assume it's from the Rifftrax showing of Krull tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Batman Returns scared parents most of all, which caused McDonald's to pressure WB to tone down Forever as a response.

It’s hilarious how much that movie freaked the squares. They even went so far as to replace the Danny DeVito Penguin in the tie-in toyline with a repaint of an older toy based on the more quaint Burgess Meredith version.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fart City posted:

It’s hilarious how much that movie freaked the squares. They even went so far as to replace the Danny DeVito Penguin in the tie-in toyline with a repaint of an older toy based on the more quaint Burgess Meredith version.
How white bread do you have to be to get upset by Batman Returns? The Catwoman stuff is honestly pretty tame, and the grossest thing is penguin eating a raw fish. Whoopty doo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casimir Radon posted:

How white bread do you have to be to get upset by Batman Returns?
That was the era where people were shying away from The Simpsons because it wasn't a perfect idealized 1950s white family, so zombie bondage girl and deformed sewerdweller midget were kind of out there.

I'm half sure that the mainstream still thought Madonna was like some insanely transgressive artist so...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

That was the era where people were shying away from The Simpsons because it wasn't a perfect idealized 1950s white family, so zombie bondage girl and deformed sewerdweller midget were kind of out there.

I'm half sure that the mainstream still thought Madonna was like some insanely transgressive artist so...
I suppose. Dad didn't want me watching The Simpsons because Bart mouths off to Homer, and in his view at the time talking back to your dad is up there a bit below homicide.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm not so sure we've changed all that much. In 18 Marvel movies or whatever there's basically nothing like the opening of Batman Returns, in which an infant is thrown off a bridge into a sewer main.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My parents have still never seen the Simpsons because they bought into the narrative of it being somewhat risqué and I guess never bothered to check up on that. Which is baffling to me, the child they not only let but encouraged to watch The Exorcist while I was still in grade school.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The dam eventually broke because both of my parents love King of the Hill which aired every day right after The Simpsons in syndication. I was really annoyed that my parents were so strict about what I was allowed to watch, and then they let my younger brother watch Black Hawk Down when he was 7.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Thanks to my dad's conviction that Robocop is one of the greatest movies of all time I was watching it with him regularly from toddlerhood. Thanks to our cable subscription by the time I was eight I had seen the Alien Trilogy, Demolition Man, the Terminators, Akira, and this poo poo among other things. Thanks to my friend's VHS collection and video stores by 10 I'd seen Starship Troopers, Predator, Pulp Fiction, and a bunch of other stuff.

Around 1998-99 at my mom's insistence we ended our cable subscription so I couldn't watch any more hosed up R-rated movies but by that point A) I could walk into the video store and check out all kinds of hosed up anime and asian movies since they were unrated; B) the damage was done.

Also a fun story: at age 6-7 one of my favorite movies was the American Guyver with Mark Hamill. I was delighted to discover there was a cartoon of it at my local video store. Popping it in brought me to this scene after which I apparently was inconsolable, shrieking that Guyver was dead (if I'd only stuck it out; he gets better).

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I remember when some of my friends weren't allowed to watch The Simpsons. But man when the South Park Movie came out and I was one of the one only kids that got to see it. That's when I became the cool rebel and blew their minds.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Harime Nui posted:

I'm not so sure we've changed all that much. In 18 Marvel movies or whatever there's basically nothing like the opening of Batman Returns, in which an infant is thrown off a bridge into a sewer main.

meanwhile in a DC movie aimed primarily at kids there's a scene in the middle where they destroy a planet, set up a murder, and throw plastic in the ocean to kill a man

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DC Murderverse posted:

meanwhile in a DC movie aimed primarily at kids there's a scene in the middle where they destroy a planet, set up a murder, and throw plastic in the ocean to kill a man

???!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Teen Titans Go.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

I think it does still stand out as "dark", that is, aesthetically grotesque and overtly sexual, so I can see where there freaked out squares are coming from. Of course as a kid I found that totally intriguing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1032993993678671874?s=19

Detective Pikachu trailer probably incoming at this Pokemon event, they got the director and cast up there, it's been filming a while (maybe even finished principal photography)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think Detective Pikachu should be voiced by Danny DeVito.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

That was the best scene

The new Papillion remake isnt getting great reviews, we shoved the first show at 7pm last night in a half-size auditorium.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

At least for the game the guy seems like he's doing a DeVito impression. I need to sit and play through it sometime soon.

Didn't they just start filming? It seems too soon for a trailer.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

got any sevens posted:

The new Papillion remake isnt getting great reviews, we shoved the first show at 7pm last night in a half-size auditorium.

It's weirdly-paced and way too long, but it looks really good and actually makes good use of Charlie Hunnam.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

Does pikachu pull a gun on anyone?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

Same. It’s weird how much of an instant hit that video was, but it really was wildly on point.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

LesterGroans posted:

It's weirdly-paced and way too long, but it looks really good and actually makes good use of Charlie Hunnam.

He plays the door jamb?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ynohtna posted:

He plays the door jamb?

He's basically doing a riff on Jax from Sons of Anarchy with a bit of his street-wise Arthur from Legend of the Sword. It didn't exactly blow my hair back, but it was perfectly fine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

At least for the game the guy seems like he's doing a DeVito impression. I need to sit and play through it sometime soon.

Didn't they just start filming? It seems too soon for a trailer.

I saw (guerilla) production shots of sets and people carrying green screen Pokemon around last year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taintrunner posted:

Same. It’s weird how much of an instant hit that video was, but it really was wildly on point.

What video?

quote:

Does pikachu pull a gun on anyone?

What kind of detective doesn't have a magnum

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reminding me of Elaine May in turn reminds me of Primary Colors and makes me wonder if Adrian Lester could've broken into Hollywood if that movie had been a success.

He was great in it, but man that movie was such a miss. It had a lot of great ingredients too, even travolta was good in it!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

RBA Starblade posted:

What kind of detective doesn't have a magnum

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well Movie Pass is officially dead to me now: https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassClub/comments/99zklu/official_communcation_important_update_to_your/

tl;dr: If you had an annual membership, they are changing your terms and you can now only see 3 movies a month, unless you cancel and they'll give you a prorated refund. Change seems to be effective immediately, the app says I'm now a monthly member and my remaining movies for the month are negative 3. :mad:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm glad I axed my Movie Pass membership ASAP.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A lot of moviepass peeps are coming to the theater by noon now to get tix for a night show, before mp runs out of money for the day. Smart

Right click save as

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have been having anxiety about canceling them since it was a pain in the rear end last time but I opened up moviepass and saw them saying my account had expired and I was happy and deleted the app.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Happytime Murders has dropped to 22% on RT, and the audience score isn't good either. Still tempted to see it on $5 Tuesday.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am trying to figure out who the audience for that is.

Yeah I like the muppets but I wish they were raunchy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I had to listen to an ad for that on the car radio. It was the worst.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The same non existent audience for the raunchy muppets reboot on ABC

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mother let me watch basically anything and just told me to keep in mind that it's only a film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Muppets were always an adult focused property.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Meet the Feebles is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Just enjoy Avenue Q.