Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thrasophius posted:

That's what I meant yes the chamfered edge, didn't know the technical name for it. For a moment I though all these pieces of work you guys have been posting all took about a year each. So it took maybe 2 days if you take out the procrastination. That's awesome, I'd love to be able to pump out some furniture like that one day on a weekend.

Which part holds you back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Annath posted:

Hi!

I know almost nothing about woodworking.

I acquired a piece of dried Ironwood (American Hornbeam) with a rubber foot for use as a walking/hiking stick. It is unfinished, so I wanted to do 2 things:

1. Apply a polish/varnish/coating to bring out the grain as well as make it more resilient to outdoor conditions. However, I'm not a big fan of the, I don't know exactly what its called, the coatings that are almost like plastic? I've seen it on walking sticks sold in stores, its the stuff that completely masks the feel of the wood. I am hoping for something that will retain at least some texture. One (ancient) forum I found suggested the following for a walking stick coating:

2. Apply a leather wrap/grip, as well as a loop of leather or rope for a handle. I have a drill press I can use to drill a hole through the head for the loop to go through.

Bonus points if there's something I can put on the bottom that isn't the rubber tip of a cane, because it looks kinda lame :saddowns:
1. For better or worse, hornbeam doesn’t have much grain for you bring out. The mix you describe is very similar to Danish Oil which is an oil/varnish blend and readily available at big box stores. To avoid the plasticy look it would be good option, or just a few coats of plain boiled linseed oil. Let it dry a day or two between coats, and rubbing between coats with 0000 steel wool or a maroon scotchbrite pad is good too.

For the bottom, the brass part of a 12ga shotgun shell makes a nice foot, or just leave it wood.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

1. For better or worse, hornbeam doesn’t have much grain for you bring out. The mix you describe is very similar to Danish Oil which is an oil/varnish blend and readily available at big box stores. To avoid the plasticy look it would be good option, or just a few coats of plain boiled linseed oil. Let it dry a day or two between coats, and rubbing between coats with 0000 steel wool or a maroon scotchbrite pad is good too.

For the bottom, the brass part of a 12ga shotgun shell makes a nice foot, or just leave it wood.

Thanks for the tips!

This is what it looks like, I guess it isn't the grainiest (:v:) but its alright:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I think he's in Japan. I'm assuming he's in an apartment/mansion of some sort in a 1LDK or 2LDK probably.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Phone posted:

I think he's in Japan. I'm assuming he's in an apartment/mansion of some sort in a 1LDK or 2LDK probably.

Oh so then actually getting wood is the first hard thing probably, and then space, everything

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Hi!

I know almost nothing about woodworking.

I acquired a piece of dried Ironwood (American Hornbeam) with a rubber foot for use as a walking/hiking stick. It is unfinished, so I wanted to do 2 things:

1. Apply a polish/varnish/coating to bring out the grain as well as make it more resilient to outdoor conditions. However, I'm not a big fan of the, I don't know exactly what its called, the coatings that are almost like plastic? I've seen it on walking sticks sold in stores, its the stuff that completely masks the feel of the wood. I am hoping for something that will retain at least some texture. One (ancient) forum I found suggested the following for a walking stick coating:

The plastic coating you see is generally from polyurethane or other urethane finishes. If you stick to pure oil finishes (tung oil, boiled linseed oil, mineral oil) you won't get that kind of texture. Make sure to look at what's actually in the finish you buy, because companies like to sneak in polyurethane in finishes that loudly proclaim themselves to be (whatever) oil.

Applying finishes is pretty much:
  • Clean the wood (wipe off dust/debris)
  • With a clean rag, wipe finish on, wiping with the grain
  • Wait maybe 15 minutes, then wipe off excess
  • Gently sand
  • Repeat
Skip the sanding after the last coat; it's to give the additional coats something to adhere to. I generally aim for 3 coats for anything that's going to be handled regularly; you can go higher if you like but there's diminishing returns on that stuff.

quote:

2. Apply a leather wrap/grip, as well as a loop of leather or rope for a handle. I have a drill press I can use to drill a hole through the head for the loop to go through.
I've never done this, but my guess is it'd be pretty much just drill a hole through, tie a leather strap through the hole, then wrap the leather around a bunch and tie it off at the end.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Annath posted:

Thanks for the tips!

This is what it looks like, I guess it isn't the grainiest (:v:) but its alright:

I think the darker streaks you are seeing there are actually the innermost layer of the bark. You can finish it like wood-it’s a bit softer and may wear off over time but it gives a nice texture to the stick.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I would put linseed oil on that, if anything at all. It's not gonna rot like a fencepost from hiking with it.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Like Phone said I'm in Japan at the moment and I'm only here for another year so buying equipment and setting up would be a waste of money and any furniture I make I'd have to leave behind. Also like you mentioned it's space too. My apartment is actually pretty size-able but I don't have a garage or anything to set up in. So for now I'm just sticking to the simple stuff and just carving simple stuff with knives. Once I'm back home I can hopefully buy some more equipment and really get into it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Annath posted:

I've been watching Man at Arms, a blacksmithing channel on YouTube, lately, and they use some kind of hot glue on their leather wrapped hilts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thrasophius posted:

Like Phone said I'm in Japan at the moment and I'm only here for another year so buying equipment and setting up would be a waste of money and any furniture I make I'd have to leave behind. Also like you mentioned it's space too. My apartment is actually pretty size-able but I don't have a garage or anything to set up in. So for now I'm just sticking to the simple stuff and just carving simple stuff with knives. Once I'm back home I can hopefully buy some more equipment and really get into it.

Potentially you could accumulate a small collection of hand tools for woodworking, that would pack OK and be shippable for not an outrageous amount? Japan is renowned for its hand-tool woodworking traditions, so there's bound to be places you can get e.g. small pull saws, planes, chisels, and the like.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Potentially you could accumulate a small collection of hand tools for woodworking, that would pack OK and be shippable for not an outrageous amount? Japan is renowned for its hand-tool woodworking traditions, so there's bound to be places you can get e.g. small pull saws, planes, chisels, and the like.

yea it might be the time to get into some crazy hand tool joinery

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Japanese joinery is mesmerizing

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm not as familiar with Japanese joinery but I've seen some wildddd Korean joinery that is incredibly inspiring

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is a faaaaaantastic book with lots about all those funny joints and their use in furniture.

https://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Fur...G1CHJ7TTD7TK2VE

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A few links to peruse, probably similar to Korean.

https://www.archdaily.com/796918/these-mesmerizing-gifs-illustrate-the-art-of-traditional-japanese-wood-joinery

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Japanese-Joinery-Kiyosi-Seike/dp/0834815168

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is a faaaaaantastic book with lots about all those funny joints and their use in furniture.

https://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Fur...G1CHJ7TTD7TK2VE

quoting so I can find them later, wow thank you. I love those gifs

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I can't fathom how you manage the precision needed to get a snug fit with such complex shapes.

Then again, I've yet to manage a halfway-decent-looking dovetail, so I clearly lack practice.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't fathom how you manage the precision needed to get a snug fit with such complex shapes.

Then again, I've yet to manage a halfway-decent-looking dovetail, so I clearly lack practice.

All I can think when looking at those is where can I get the Festool Joiner bits for those.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I picked up some Disston D-23s for a buck each.

And some carving tools. Whole set for $90. That is dust on the top gauge, not rust.

Just in time for my shop that is getting siding right now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Saw this a couple years ago... seems appropriate now given the recent discussion on joinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPUPyuz_ink

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The Locator posted:

Saw this a couple years ago... seems appropriate now given the recent discussion on joinery.

:aaaaa:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

I remember thinking the first time I saw this, how much is this them showing off, and how much is it actual practical techniques that were historically used? It's pretty nuts, to me, to imagine going to this much time and effort to join two beams end-to-end. There's got to be simpler solutions that just use more material, right? Like, sister two shorter beams on either side which are fastened to the original beams with wedge tenons. This isn't one of those cases where you need complex joinery to avoid having to use nails on a metal-poor island.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I think without nails you'd get a lot more strength out of the beam this way than if you tried to sister on a smaller piece. Like sistering boards on does almost nothing structurally right?

edit: google is giving me a lot of info about load bearing and deflection https://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/beam_bending1.htm

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 25, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I remember thinking the first time I saw this, how much is this them showing off, and how much is it actual practical techniques that were historically used? It's pretty nuts, to me, to imagine going to this much time and effort to join two beams end-to-end. There's got to be simpler solutions that just use more material, right? Like, sister two shorter beams on either side which are fastened to the original beams with wedge tenons. This isn't one of those cases where you need complex joinery to avoid having to use nails on a metal-poor island.

I think it’s a mix of observation bias with everyone wanting to show off the real cool stuff, and practical concerns of all the different joints being used in different places based on what the loads are. iirc they didn’t use nails because wood joints are much more durable under seismic stress than nails are.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

With the disclaimer that I know less than nothing about that style of joinery, it wouldn't surprise me if that thing is gonna be sitting on top of a vertical post with that wedge thing going down through both. That would still be strong as gently caress compared to just butting two beams together on the same post.

Or maybe that thing's gonna hang out unsupported in the middle of a span and I don't know poo poo. Just spitballing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There are some equally complicated big scarf joints for beams in Roubo-I guess in a world of cheap labor where 1/4” steel plate was unheard of and each nut and bolt had to be forged, tapped and filed by hand complicated joinery in timber made economic sense.

I had to make a Chinese-ish stand for a red lacquer Chinese box a few years ago and played around with some of the joinery involved. The three way mitered mortise and tenon joint where the legs and aprons connect is a bit of a doozy but looks great when done right and is a fun joint to make. I think I figured out how to do parts of it by machine but it was mostly hand work. The mitred through tenons got wedged, the mitered mortise and tenons on the legs get pegged from the back, and the dovetailed aprons help hold it all together as well. Dovetails don’t have to be pretty to be strong. Hide glue doesn’t hold up well in hot humid climates like east Asia (or here on the Gulf Coast) so alot of the old furniture there was built with joints that didn’t rely on glue for strength. Rough mock up in sapele and finished piece in African padouk.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

A lot of what we call Japanese joinery was developed by Buddhist monks, where you might not have had any metalworking capacity and were restricted to the wood nearby because you’re building a temple on the side of a mountain out in bumfuck province

Clever joinery became an art form in and of itself, as important as any temple decoration. Japanese joinery went buck wild largely due to Japanese power in the region and internal political structure (their temples weren’t being burned down all the time) but you can find extremely intricate joinery pretty much everywhere in Asia

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Javid posted:

With the disclaimer that I know less than nothing about that style of joinery, it wouldn't surprise me if that thing is gonna be sitting on top of a vertical post with that wedge thing going down through both. That would still be strong as gently caress compared to just butting two beams together on the same post.

Or maybe that thing's gonna hang out unsupported in the middle of a span and I don't know poo poo. Just spitballing.

As far as I know, it's strong and robust enough, also a big part of it is the tradition and craftsmanship behind it. I really don't know the history behind it, but I do know that exposing the joinery is an aesthetic that some people do like (including me), and having intricate interlocking mechanisms definitely falls under that category.

Also it's a great way to showboat and have forum warrior bullshit go down the WELL ACTUALLY, THE NIHON-JIN (person of Japan) HOUHOU (method) OF DOING MOKKOUGEI (woodworking) well and furthering the mystique of ~the orient~. The counter to this is something along the lines of Matthias' reason for not being into super fancy joinery for structural stuff, it was like "take a bunch of 2x4s and put a nail through them, no amount of fancy joinery is going to beat the physical properties of a piece of metal through 2 or 3 boards".

In conclusion, Japanese joinery is a land of contrasts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DevNull posted:

I picked up some Disston D-23s for a buck each.

And some carving tools. Whole set for $90. That is dust on the top gauge, not rust.

Just in time for my shop that is getting siding right now.

Were you the guy building your shop over near University Ave? Looking good!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The lathe I got 6 months ago hasn’t seen much use so I wanted to change that. Made a simple paper towel holder from a piece of recycled Blackwood and a piece of oak I found at work.

I really like how quick you can finish a piece on the lathe. Just some paste wax while it’s running slow and that’s it, no loving about with brushes or waiting for things to dry. And it’s so nice and smooth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nice flared base.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Platystemon posted:

Nice flared base.

Can you use silicone lube with wax or do you have to go water-based?

Seriously, I know a lathe is about #142 on the list of tools I need but seeing anything like this make me think “I’ve got to get one right now!”

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I want one of the ones you hook into a drill press and run vertically. I definitely don't have room for a full wood lathe :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Board’s done! I could have scrapped it and started over for all the effort it took to finish it, sand it back down to unfinished and then re-route the edges and finish it again.... but now it doesn’t smell, looks the way I want, and I saw the project through...

Not obvious in the photo, just the slightest bit of sheen/reflection.

Now I can shut the gently caress up about it in this thread and start bothering y’all with other project questions. ;)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
What are you guys typically using for feet on the bottom of cutting/serving boards? I bought some rubber ones of Amazon, but they are low quality and terrible. Any recommendations? Bonus points if in and around Toronto!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

midge posted:

What are you guys typically using for feet on the bottom of cutting/serving boards? I bought some rubber ones of Amazon, but they are low quality and terrible. Any recommendations? Bonus points if in and around Toronto!

I like these. Low profile, very pro looking....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-Heavy-Duty-Anti-Skid-Surface-Pads-4-Pack-49644/203661092

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Feenix posted:

Now I can shut the gently caress up about it in this thread and start bothering y’all with other project questions. ;)

Nice work! Glad it all turned out ok in the end. It looks excellent, purpleheart is amazing.

Added some finish to a key bowl I made a while back. The figuring in this camphor laurel is great. There are 4 other smaller blanks from the same tree which I need to find a use for.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

Nice work! Glad it all turned out ok in the end. It looks excellent, purpleheart is amazing.

Added some finish to a key bowl I made a while back. The figuring in this camphor laurel is great. There are 4 other smaller blanks from the same tree which I need to find a use for.

banging love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Granite Octopus posted:

That's fine work. The bonus for me is that the regular grain in that looks just like a fallen tree we've tried to I.D. unsuccessfully for a few months, and wondered if it was worth salvaging. Thanks!