Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Not a Children posted:

There's a good game somewhere in there but the gently caress if I can come up with QOL stuff that would make it untedious enough to recommend

I could list probably dozens of QOL changes but honestly even a few things like "hold up to 3 characters in reserve to swap in/out, characters in reserve gain xp/affinity like active party members" to help address some of the dumb grind and being forced in to specific party layouts for a lot of story missions would be good. Toss in some smaller QOL like having the music pick up from where it left off when running around the overworld and getting in/out of combat or in/out of skells/flight mode, would be welcome.

"Fix the :shepface: facial expressions" or "let Lin actually cook Tatsu as a meal so we never have to see or hear him again" would be welcome too but wouldn't have as much impact on the game's quality (well, maybe Tatsu's death would because he's just awful in every way). Considering Elma's improved look in XC2 they definitely could fix the god awful XCX faces if they wanted to.

Though if I want to dream big: "add full co-op to the main game, not just the world tyrant bosses" would be at the top of the list even though co-op skell combat completely removes any traces of difficulty from the game. In the few World Tyrant fights I did in co-op, 2-3 people (hell maybe just 2) could keep world tyrants on near-permanent lockdown and they'd be able to do the same to probably every enemy in the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do wish I could've gotten Slime San in physical. That game is adorable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Looper posted:

I'm playing octopath

no lie I want to get octopath real bad (like tonight) but I already like five new games I haven't touched

Also apparently DQXI comes out in ten days or so what in the gently caress, how did that sneak up on me like that? So yeah, prob shouldn't impulse buy a full-price 60 hour RPG tonight

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KingSlime posted:

no lie I want to get octopath real bad (like tonight) but I already like five new games I haven't touched

Also apparently DQXI comes out in ten days or so what in the gently caress, how did that sneak up on me like that? So yeah, prob shouldn't impulse buy a full-price 60 hour RPG tonight

Unless you binge the hell out of Octopath every day for the next week and a half you won't be finished before DQXI comes out unless you're bee-lining the content and not just relaxing and exploring (and robbing) everything.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Plus there's Monster Hunter next week, which has absolutely zero respect for anyone's time

So yeah, octo will have to wait! It looks so good, though...oh well back to Ys (i'm like three areas in lol)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Locke posted:

Dust is a good game that gets way too much poo poo for it's aesthetic because people can't see an anthropomorphic character anymore without thinking about someone wanting to gently caress it. About the worst thing I've got to say about it is that it's probably about half again too long and runs out of new and good ideas well before it crosses the finish line.

That's really only a thing on SA. Though from what I gather mostly everyone does just want to gently caress the bat thing and rarely talks about much else.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have my stock R&B Joycons, and I got s pair of neon yellows from Walmart when they were like 50 bucks... but today I decided I really wanted a handheld D-pad so I ordered a set from Etsy. Super Nintendo colors!

I’m excited!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I am super ok with anthropomorphic characters and Dust still gave me distinct furry vibes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feenix posted:

I have my stock R&B Joycons, and I got s pair of neon yellows from Walmart when they were like 50 bucks... but today I decided I really wanted a handheld D-pad so I ordered a set from Etsy. Super Nintendo colors!

I’m excited!!

Let us now how it feels. I’ve kinda been interested in the mod but I play table top 2-player quite a bit.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Feenix posted:

Im excited!!

Soon, you will be me. It is inevitable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Nintendo has zero experience with low-latency, high bandwidth wireless technology. None.
Did they tear that all up and throw it in the trash after the WiiU or what? I would have loved to see it be something licensed to others or something.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Let us now how it feels. I’ve kinda been interested in the mod but I play table top 2-player quite a bit.

I mean... I have (will have) 6 Joycons when these arrive. I don’t use single Joycons much but if I do I have 4 I can use...

The Lobster posted:

Soon, you will be me. It is inevitable.

Are you the person with a million Joycons?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I have four joycons, a pair in gray and a red/blue set

Well, three joycons because one of the gray ones is busted but still

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kiranamos posted:

I don't recall having to drive to 5 Best Buys just to find a piece of DLC

:same:

I don't recall needing to pay five times MSRP to a reseller (meaning Nintendo already got theirs from the initial purchase) just to find a piece of DLC either

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do not recall a lot of things because I am a very forgetful person :(

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Feenix posted:

Are you the person with a million Joycons?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fallom posted:

Nintendo has zero experience with low-latency, high bandwidth wireless technology. None.

Y'all all dumbasses. Nintendo made the devices on both ends of the wireless connection with the wii u. They had complete control over all hardware involved. They can guarantee the experience. If I was them I would not release something that is gonna suck on the 98% of bluetooth devices that don't support the lagless codec. Y'all complaining about it not existing is preferable to the hit in perception of quality they would take if they allowed a substandard experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dust is a ridiculously easy metroidvania whose art style is stiffer and uglier than even the box art suggests with an awful leveling system that is so obviously flawed on its face you’ll be surprised, combat whose difficulty controlled by your ability to get a high magic combo, and a story that is beyond cliche it reads like tvtropes.

I got 100% completion and if you get it on the cheap (like 10-15) and love metroidvanias its not a bad value at all, especially for what was like a one person passion project.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was Yooka Layee really that bad? I’ll probably grab that LRG version of it since I can probably resell it for quite a bit even if I don’t like it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The reason both Sony and Nintendo don't use Bluetooth audio, but do use blutooth controllers, is because there is a certain Yokai that's this blue guy that is mostly a mouth full of teeth. His name is kasagorame. Anyway if you make a sound when he is around he will bite you. Whenever there is an extended silence, people are said to be getting quiet because kasogorame is around and they don't want to get bitten.

So "blue tooth audio" would be inherently unlucky. A blue tooth controller is fine because that's an activity you do quietly.

And now you know the rest of the story

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was Yooka Layee really that bad? I’ll probably grab that LRG version of it since I can probably resell it for quite a bit even if I don’t like it.

At launch it was really bad, hindered by a camera so bad the average N64 game could have looked down on it. Post patches it plays exactly like a visual upgrade of an 8/10 N64 platformer with each and every flaw, lack of QoL, archaic design choice, and awful boss design that implies carried over dutifully.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It looks nice enough, but, uh, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEO25GkfkFw

Hope you like 90's gameplay that wasn't updated at all to account for modern advancements in quality of life features, or level design.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love Banjo-Kazooie (and, to a lesser extent, Tooie and even DK64) and have replayed all of those games in recent years so I'm not just remembering them through rose-colored glasses, but I really did not like Yooka-Laylee. The whole thing is so weirdly unpolished: sound effects sound awkward or are missing, the enemies and items all feel so tiny especially in the big barren worlds, the controls are awkward and the new moves you learn are all pretty pointless and don't ever feel natural. I don't completely regret playing it but I would also be very hard-pressed to recommend it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Took a break from Octopath tonight to check out Minit. Three hours and one 110% save file later, I'm happy to say it lives up to the hype. And apparently NG+ has a bunch of changes!

Definitely worth the :10bux:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The reason both Sony and Nintendo don't use Bluetooth audio, but do use blutooth controllers, is because there is a certain Yokai that's this blue guy that is mostly a mouth full of teeth. His name is kasagorame. Anyway if you make a sound when he is around he will bite you. Whenever there is an extended silence, people are said to be getting quiet because kasogorame is around and they don't want to get bitten.

So "blue tooth audio" would be inherently unlucky. A blue tooth controller is fine because that's an activity you do quietly.

And now you know the rest of the story

that...doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about wireless technology standards, or yokai, to dispute it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve put in about 30 runs in Dead Cells and have made it to the bridge boss once (I am super bad at games) and it’s just not clicking for me. I hate having to do the beginning zombie area every time - it’s trivially easy and boring and makes each death feel like a super slog since I know I need to go back there. Is this game just not for me?

On a similar note, I’m an hour and a half into Okami and feel like I won’t be able to get into it. The camera feels super wonky, the combat is a bit one-note, and not being able to hit A to speed up the text is obnoxious. Should I stick with it? When does it really get good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve put in about 30 runs in Dead Cells and have made it to the bridge boss once (I am super bad at games) and it’s just not clicking for me. I hate having to do the beginning zombie area every time - it’s trivially easy and boring and makes each death feel like a super slog since I know I need to go back there. Is this game just not for me?

On a similar note, I’m an hour and a half into Okami and feel like I won’t be able to get into it. The camera feels super wonky, the combat is a bit one-note, and not being able to hit A to speed up the text is obnoxious. Should I stick with it? When does it really get good?

No, you wont like Dead Cells

For Okami, make sure you fixed the cameras inversion settings to something a human being would use. Doesnt pressing A just finish loading all text in the remaster? Regardless you can just go ahead and skip cutscenes, theyre all repititious and poorly paced to an unbelievable degree. Combat gets slightly more involved as you get more moves, weapons, and sub weapons but Ill be frank if doing zelda dungeons with some light platinum combat isnt doing it for you the game never will.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dantheman650 posted:

Dead Cells picks up quickly after you start investing in some of the starter upgrades. You should shoot for a second potion and the random starter sword, bow and shield upgrades as early as possible. You're not supposed to be in the first part of the dungeon for very long. Ideally you should shoot through it and get to the first time lock door as quickly as possible, because that nets you a ton of cells for upgrades. The idea behind the game is to see just how fast you can get through areas, and having a big pool of random starter weapons makes that process a lot quicker.

Okami is a slow burn. It's long as poo poo and there isn't a point where it really "gets good." Take some time, run around like a dog, talk to people and enjoy the world. If you're not down with that concept, it may not be for you. Okami is, at its heart, a Zelda game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ChocNitty posted:

I was surprised and pleased to find out that connecting my pro controller to my macbook

Holy poo poo I didn't actually think of this

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

dantheman650 posted:

Same here. I've always been a fan of dark souls but just starting from the beginning is obnoxious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okami's combat is about right for me, but I was never able to keep track of all the fancy combos and poo poo that Platinum games usually have. Key thing with later enemies is about figuring out the right brush techniques that make them vulnerable, though early on it's still mostly in beginner's mode. Remember you gotta learn further fighting moves from the dojo, and that you can equip secondary weapons that have different effects depending on both the weapon type and individual weapon.

But yeah, other than that, it's a fairly chill kind of game. Wandering around doing sidequests and feeding animals and stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Over There posted:

Same here. I've always been a fan of dark souls but just starting from the beginning is obnoxious

I mean, Dark Souls isn't a roguelike

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

I mean, Dark Souls isn't a roguelike

Yeah I was looking for any close example. I guess rougelikes aren't for me

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okami's combat is about right for me, but I was never able to keep track of all the fancy combos and poo poo that Platinum games usually have. Key thing with later enemies is about figuring out the right brush techniques that make them vulnerable, though early on it's still mostly in beginner's mode. Remember you gotta learn further fighting moves from the dojo, and that you can equip secondary weapons that have different effects depending on both the weapon type and individual weapon.

But yeah, other than that, it's a fairly chill kind of game. Wandering around doing sidequests and feeding animals and stuff.
If I remember right I didn't use any healing items on any enemy up to the final boss and then used basically all of them then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lumines is still awesome.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Lumines is still awesome.

I forgot that came out. Switch has too many games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm in the second area of Hollow Knight now. I didn't realize there were more colorful areas. Everything I saw about this game was in the boring colorless first area. I was enjoying the game but kind of bummed because it's a bit ugly, but I'm starting to like it now. The deaths and the slog to get back to my spirit is a bit annoying though. I had no idea where to go after the first boss because I thought an item I got was supposed to go with an area I found. But I couldn't get the game to do anything. Then I remembered an enemy I couldn't get past before. I feel like it could do with a little bit of signposting to push me in the right direction at the start.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot that came out. Switch has too many games.

And yet, not enough...

I had some bad slowdown though (Shuffle Mode). They really need to fix song transitions.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 25, 2018

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'm in the second area of Hollow Knight now. I didn't realize there were more colorful areas. Everything I saw about this game was in the boring colorless first area. I was enjoying the game but kind of bummed because it's a bit ugly, but I'm starting to like it now. The deaths and the slog to get back to my spirit is a bit annoying though. I had no idea where to go after the first boss because I thought an item I got was supposed to go with an area I found. But I couldn't get the game to do anything. Then I remembered an enemy I couldn't get past before. I feel like it could do with a little bit of signposting to push me in the right direction at the start.

Don’t worry - there are plenty more colorful areas, and soon you’ll be overwhelmed with possible paths. There isn’t anywhere you shouldn’t go - if you can get there, you are supposed to be there. Just pick any path and keep on going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Played the MH demo for 2 hours tonight with my friend. I forgot how fun these stupid frustrating games can be.

• Locked thread