Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spalec posted:

Not to say that BBT doesn't sweeten/enhance/prompt the laughter but removing it and leaving the silences in there is a really terrible 'proof'. If you did that to the funniest stand up comedian in the world it'd make a lot of the jokes seem really flat and weird.

BBT is bad though, although I don't understand the hate for it. If it's bad, just don't watch it?

People can hate things that are bad, what the gently caress do you think SA was founded on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like this was probably posted several pages ago, but gently caress it, here it is again anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

Wow, I had never heard of this so I looked up the wikipedia page for it, and it has this writing credit:

quote:

Written by
Eleanor Burian-Mohr
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I gotta think that Eleanor did most of the legwork on this one. Not sure how much input old ACD got in this instance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ariong posted:

I gotta think that Eleanor did most of the legwork on this one. Not sure how much input old ACD got in this instance.

It's probably like all those Conan stories "co-written" with Robert E. Howard posthumously where they take some story fragments and "flesh them out" into an actual story.

In this case, maybe stories Frankensteined from Sherlock Holmes and unpublished War of the World sequels.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

best intro theme is MIB The Animated Series, best show about doctors/hospitals is Darkplace

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I always loved the 90's Johnny Quest intro. The show rocked too.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm rewatching bits of Buffy and man. When I was a teenager I thought season 6 was really cool because it was less episodic and more serious than the early stuff. Seeing it again in context with the rest of the show is reminding me of how many of my least favorite stories happened in season 6 though, and how dumb and mean-spirited a lot of it was.

- Dawn becomes a compulsive kleptomaniac
- Xander and Anya's marriage acrimoniously falls apart
- Spike becomes a lovely, abusive boyfriend
- Willow gets hooked on magic and leaves Dawn alone at her creepy magic dealer's place while she gets magically high and then crashes her car and almost kills both of them and has to go through loving magic rehab
- Giles fucks off for almost the whole thing
- Tara is killed accidentally by a proto-gamergator with a handgun
- Buffy lets terrible things happen to her because she's depressed and guilty that she was happier when she was dead

Like the very beginning and ending of the season are cool, but most of it is DIRE.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randallteal posted:

I'm rewatching bits of Buffy and man. When I was a teenager I thought season 6 was really cool because it was less episodic and more serious than the early stuff. Seeing it again in context with the rest of the show is reminding me of how many of my least favorite stories happened in season 6 though, and how dumb and mean-spirited a lot of it was.

- Willow gets hooked on magic and leaves Dawn alone at her creepy magic dealer's place while she gets magically high and then crashes her car and almost kills both of them and has to go through loving magic rehab
- Buffy lets terrible things happen to her because she's depressed and guilty that she was happier when she was dead

Like the very beginning and ending of the season are cool, but most of it is DIRE.

Being dire was the point, though. That being said, Marti Noxon seems to have a similar view.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

FreeMars posted:

I remember being disappointed that none of the earlier 3D games looked as cool or ran as smoothly as Questworld.

Today the intro just looks... quaint. It's not particularly good and really doesn't even make sense in a world where 3D animation is no longer a novelty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFUijdwWdk

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Oh man, I wish I hadn't watched that

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Grey's Anatomy is a terrible show that has aged terribly because it was never good or even remotely accurate in the first place. :colbert:

It is, however, a soap opera wearing a stethoscope to the point I'm surprised Susan Lucci hasn't turned up, and as a soap opera it's...not bad. It's surprisingly addictive despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that Meredith is basically a bad decision elemental and watching her gently caress up makes everyone feel better about their own sad lives

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

FreeMars posted:

Sorry, just watched it and it can't hold a candle to the original. The music is just.... blah. It's like hearing an elevator music version of a favorite uptempo song.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to go back to Johnny Quest after watching The Venture Bros.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the new DuckTales (which is great) sometimes feels like Venture Bros with ducks and not so much obvious murder.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Randallteal posted:

There’s a commentary track on the Freaks and Geeks dvds where Rebecca Kirshner talks about an episode she wrote about Lindsey shoplifting, but mentions that she eventually dumped it because everyone was pressuring her to make it like an addiction or a sexual thrill when she thought it was a funny minor aspect of teen life to explore and nothing else.

Then a few years later she’s writing for Buffy and all that dumb poo poo ends up in her story about shoplifting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreeMars posted:

I thought that cartoon was scary when I was very young. The one where they're being stalked by a Medusa in Questworld, for instance. Looking back on it, there was nothing scary about it, but at the time it was too creepy for me.

A couple of other shows with dubious-looking computer animation I remember from various points in my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskHytzMIrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27SS8Pnmrok

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Randallteal posted:

Buffy...season 6...dumb...Dawn

Let's take the most powerful magical object in the universe and turn it into your younger sister.

This being will never do anything interesting with the concept and only be a whining child for the rest of the series.

:downsbravo:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let's take the most powerful magical object in the universe and turn it into your younger sister.

This being will never do anything interesting with the concept and only be a whining child for the rest of the series.

That's season five.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tiggum posted:

That's season five.

I actually rewatched Season 5 a few years ago, and I don't know, I found Dawn way less grating. She's just being a melodramatic teenager in a really crazy world. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought that cartoon was scary when I was very young. The one where they're being stalked by a Medusa in Questworld, for instance. Looking back on it, there was nothing scary about it, but at the time it was too creepy for me.

A couple of other shows with dubious-looking computer animation I remember from various points in my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskHytzMIrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27SS8Pnmrok

Man, some of those could have really been improved by just understanding the limits of computer animation at the time (and hiring competent modelers and animators), like if the jus cut out all the humans out of CUBIX, the robots still look OK.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I actually rewatched Season 5 a few years ago, and I don't know, I found Dawn way less grating. She's just being a melodramatic teenager in a really crazy world. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old.

I'd heard about most of what happened in season six before I actually saw it (because I didn't really watch Buffy until nearly 10 years after it was done) and expected it to be rubbish, but I found myself enjoying it better than, say, season four. I think it's because the sense of "Where are we going with our lives?" it had appealed to me given where I was in my own life at the time.

I may well find it tiresome if I went back and watched it again. Not being able to zoom through it on dvd and having to wait a week between episodes must have been a bit of a chore.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SpacePig posted:

(Men in Black cartoon)

One episode that actually sticks out in my memory as liking a whole bunch was one where the organization itself started fading back into some paper file small office operation full of basically conspiracy theorists because someone had gone back in time and changed how First Contact had happened, and I think maybe killed K in the process. I remember that one being really good.
Were there several X-Files references? Because "small office operation full of conspiracy theorists" is right in that ballpark. Maybe with an "I want to believe" poster with an MIB alien ship.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Man, some of those could have really been improved by just understanding the limits of computer animation at the time (and hiring competent modelers and animators), like if the jus cut out all the humans out of CUBIX, the robots still look OK.

Probably no helping the other one, though.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Iron Crowned posted:

It was the 90's, and I was 16, so I was busy trying (and failing) to get laid, and I was pretty sure that waking up on Saturday mornings to watch Men in Black was not going to help

same, and I had older siblings I had to share the tv with who did NOT want to watch cartoons and would mock me ruthlessly so I'd have to hide it in shame like a real dork

Rollersnake posted:

Today the intro just looks... quaint. It's not particularly good and really doesn't even make sense in a world where 3D animation is no longer a novelty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFUijdwWdk

man whatever, I still get excited watching that. I always knew it was just clips from the episodes on a crappy 3D frame and it made no sense, but I like the pacing and the clips they chose. Combined with the music, what I see is incoming ADVENTURE! Breaking through windows, emerging from water tossing hair, helicopters!

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Aug 25, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StrangersInTheNight posted:

man whatever, I still get excited watching that. I always knew it was just clips from the episodes on a crappy 3D frame and it made no sense, but I like the pacing and the clips they chose. Combined with the music, what I see is incoming ADVENTURE! Breaking through windows, emerging from water tossing hair, helicopters!

Me too. Its pure nostalgia, but Real Adventures of Johnny Quest was one of those "never seen anything like it before" things for me when I was little.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's another video, possibly from this thread, where someone removed the laughtrack. You think the shows a chore to watch now? Try it without the fake laughter, it actually gets WORSE.

I've seen that clip, it's not unwatchable, but considering that most of the "jokes" in the clip were (I think) Sheldon and Raj, it came off more as everyone else was pausing to figure out the flow of logic. Considering Sheldon's actor was deliberately portraying him as autistic and half the time he has to explain the joke anyways...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably no helping the other one, though.

Monster by mistake is one of the worst shows I have ever seen, it's so loving bad

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Here's an awful show with a terrible theme song, horrible cgi and very appropriately titled "Butt Ugly Martians."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYlc4T8dxqA

Lasted for 1 whole season lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Donkey Kong show managed to have worse graphics than most of the games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Joe the Strummer posted:

Here's an awful show with a terrible theme song, horrible cgi and very appropriately titled "Butt Ugly Martians."

I see you and raise

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=60AIUDhrjvs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that was based off an andy griffiths book apparently. did poor andy just like have a day-long stroke and forget how to be funny and bang that out?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

burial posted:

If you’re talking ‘90s Nick at Nite, wow. I was the only 10-15ish aged kid I knew that watched that stuff willingly. I loved it. I guess I assumed there were already plenty of nostalgia channels out there, but I don’t really seek them out.
:hfive: Hell yeah! Early 90's, and my college campus actually provided free cable to the dorm rooms. I'd be up at 2am watching Dobie Gillis, Dick Van Dyke, F Troop and the like; stuff that, as someone born in the 70's, I didn't have any nostalgia for, but just really liked those old black & white sitcoms. Somewhat akin to you, I was probably the only 19 year old who knew that Bob Denver was Maynard G. Krebs before he was Gilligan.

Now I'm nostalgic for the channel that played nostalgia for an era I wasn't even nostalgic about. That's... weird.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Joe the Strummer posted:

I remember that came on right before Invader Zim so I always caught the tail end of that show.

Now there's another show that didn't really hold up. Partially because I found the shows humor to sometimes lean hard into LOLRANDOM territory, but mostly the decade plus of people copying it's LOLRANDOM humor but poorly in lieu of a personality. I think it was the first show that I stopped watching entirely because I didn't want to be associated with the people who liked it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Wheat Loaf posted:

Me too. Its pure nostalgia, but Real Adventures of Johnny Quest was one of those "never seen anything like it before" things for me when I was little.

For Indian characters in media consumed by kids in the mid-late '90s you basically had Apu, Hadji, and Dhalsim. Hadji was the best of them, especially when you hadn't heard his name used as a racial slur yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joe the Strummer posted:

This pops into my head depressingly often

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I dunno if its been mentioned, but holy poo poo has House of Cards aged badly. And I'm not even talking about Spacey being a sexmonster.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9B0-HFkpT4

The DK series apparently was one of the first shows to do full body CGI, but used it to make a new Kong like this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Leo Luster echo confirmed for smash.

Wow, it’s so creepy to see DK stabding perfectly upright like a man. Did he walk around like that in the show?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The only thing I know about house of cards is that Kevin spacey's character is a Democrat even though he should be a Republican.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nuclear War posted:

I dunno if its been mentioned, but holy poo poo has House of Cards aged badly. And I'm not even talking about Spacey being a sexmonster.

House of Cards, much like Downton Abbey and god forbid Sherlock, was always horrifically bad and it's just weird it took people so long to notice.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaunab posted:

The only thing I know about house of cards is that Kevin spacey's character is a Democrat even though he should be a Republican.

He’s a blue dog democrat so it’s not that far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arivia posted:

that was based off an andy griffiths book apparently. did poor andy just like have a day-long stroke and forget how to be funny and bang that out?

There's a trilogy of them.