Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guts and bolts posted:

With respect, Warhammer rules/edition changes also, uh, cost money, do they not? You can reuse your minis but there's a new codex and you pay for it. Unless I'm mistaken.
Nowhere near as much. Not even close. If I wanted to take my old 3rd edition Blood Angels army that hasn't seen a table since then and use it tomorrow in 8th edition I'd have to drop the same amount of cash that an X-wing starter and 1.5 small ships would cost me. GW have changed company philosophy dramatically in the last few years too, making it way easier to get up and running with their games for far less cost. The grog whines have pretty much faded away of late it seems, but I'm getting most of this second hand from friends who relapsed so :shrug:

guts and bolts posted:

And because the game isn't just minis and rulebooks - there's a huge element of cardboard and idiosyncratic move templates and such - comparing X-Wing 1:1 with other miniatures games is itself very silly.
GW had that too. Then it went away. Then some of it came back. Then other bits went away. On and on forever.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I suppose it's a flaw with the general design of both X-Wing and wargames in general. In an ideal world you wouldn't be rolling anything and the numbers would be static, but that would require a very different game structure that would be significantly harder to balance or even simply conceptualize in the first place.
It's what the Wings of War system that X-wing is based on used. There were little tubs of cardboard tokens, A through E. Planes auto-fired and had a damage code like "2A 1C" which meant you took two tokens from the A tub and 1 from the C tub. I don't remember them particularly well, but any given token could have everything from blank sides to critical hit effects and you just dug around and grabbed however many you needed and then put them on your plane's planning card without replacing them into the tubs. X-Wing's way is honestly far better. Aeronautica Imperialis used dice too, but they did it in the standard GW roll to hit, roll to damage way, with hitting being hard and damaging being easy. It might be better dis-coupling hitting and damaging like that, but with such a limited number of plane/ships to use there's not much variety to it. Also it uses regular D6, which give you less probability space and also don't let FFG sell unique custom dice with fancy effects on them.

A lot of the old Avalon Hill hex'n'chit wargames were fully deterministic, with stack value comparison determining combat on fucktons of charts. It was... problematic. The rules didn't really have a logical way to deal with "all my panzers are in one stack and the chart doesn't go that high".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
On the flip side with GW games, each new edition rules update in such a way as to invalidate the strongest units in the game, and then each codex roll out adds new unseen previously units that highlight new rules and are blatantly overpowered on the tabletop. Maybe 8th changed that, but from 3e - 7e when I quit it was absolutely the case. If all you do is play at home, sure, pull out your old army and point it up in the new edition, you're fine. Want any new things or to play in an event? Shell out hundreds of dollars, since the model boxes keep increasing in price and decreasing in model count/point value per box.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's what the Wings of War system that X-wing is based on used. There were little tubs of cardboard tokens, A through E. Planes auto-fired and had a damage code like "2A 1C" which meant you took two tokens from the A tub and 1 from the C tub. I don't remember them particularly well, but any given token could have everything from blank sides to critical hit effects and you just dug around and grabbed however many you needed and then put them on your plane's planning card without replacing them into the tubs. X-Wing's way is honestly far better.

No, imo that sounds much better to me, a lot like the "dice deck" i've used for games like Settlers where a little bit of variance can result in a big swing of who's going to win. With the chit-pull system, if you get lovely results for a while you know the good results are just in there waiting to be pulled. It's probably less "realistic" but it creates yet another level of risk to consider when you're making maneuvers.

quote:

A lot of the old Avalon Hill hex'n'chit wargames were fully deterministic, with stack value comparison determining combat on fucktons of charts. It was... problematic. The rules didn't really have a logical way to deal with "all my panzers are in one stack and the chart doesn't go that high".

All of my AH games used dice, like, all of them. You add up your stack totals and consult a combat results table and you roll against an odds-based column. Usually 3:1 odds were what you needed to ensure a decent result for any attack. If there were hex-and-counter games from the classic AH days that didn't use dice, those seem like oddities more than anything. Not trying to be pedantic, I'd really like to know what games you're referring to as they seem like they might be interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Finster Dexter posted:

No, imo that sounds much better to me, a lot like the "dice deck" i've used for games like Settlers where a little bit of variance can result in a big swing of who's going to win. With the chit-pull system, if you get lovely results for a while you know the good results are just in there waiting to be pulled. It's probably less "realistic" but it creates yet another level of risk to consider when you're making maneuvers.

All of my AH games used dice, like, all of them. You add up your stack totals and consult a combat results table and you roll against an odds-based column. Usually 3:1 odds were what you needed to ensure a decent result for any attack. If there were hex-and-counter games from the classic AH days that didn't use dice, those seem like oddities more than anything. Not trying to be pedantic, I'd really like to know what games you're referring to as they seem like they might be interesting.
It's about fifteen years back that I played it, no idea which one it was. I'd have to go back to university and see if the gaming society hasn't thrown it out in one of the building moves. The Wings of War chit pull system failed where the PSC's Battlegroup system succeeds basically by having them be so small and fiddly that they're just a pain to keep track of and read at a distance and you ended up with too many of them on a plane.

The Gate posted:

On the flip side with GW games, each new edition rules update in such a way as to invalidate the strongest units in the game, and then each codex roll out adds new unseen previously units that highlight new rules and are blatantly overpowered on the tabletop. Maybe 8th changed that, but from 3e - 7e when I quit it was absolutely the case. If all you do is play at home, sure, pull out your old army and point it up in the new edition, you're fine. Want any new things or to play in an event? Shell out hundreds of dollars, since the model boxes keep increasing in price and decreasing in model count/point value per box.
From what I've heard it has, but that's still a distinction between paying for "new toys" and paying for "use my old stuff". To the grog, that matters a lot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it would've been nice to have different kinds of attack dice ala armada so a fighter can have more than two reasonable possible attack values but i think that ship has sailed.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Panzeh posted:

I think it would've been nice to have different kinds of attack dice ala armada so a fighter can have more than two reasonable possible attack values but i think that ship has sailed.

That's my biggest disappointment with X-Wing 2.0, Legion and even Armada do dice way better than X-Wing, it's almost like they've learned something...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I rather like how Imperial Assault handles shooting, but that's just Descent's dice mechanic with different symbols on the dice.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They prob could have done it like Armada if all they did was add blue or black dice without changing the current reds. But changing the dice we currently have in any way would have hundreds of people screaming "muh regional/worlds dice!!" Esp the ones who ebayed them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Maybe 3rd edition can do that, and they can skip dice in tournament kits for a few years?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
YMMV, but a couple of Barnes & Nobles have X-Wing stuff on clearance*. I’m up near Cleveland, Ohio at the moment and the local store had TIEs, YV-666s, and Ghosts in the clearance section.

*30% off

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gently caress it, go all in and use the Edge of the Empire dice. Get the real narrative experience!

I would legit play a fleshed out tournament like that.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My shop is holding a "rules as written" Goodbye to 1.0 tournament,. Meaning no FAQ

What is the most broken poo poo I can bring

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

My shop is holding a "rules as written" Goodbye to 1.0 tournament,. Meaning no FAQ

What is the most broken poo poo I can bring

Anyone who has a weapon that CAN shoot Biggs is gonna be forced to shoot Biggs, so Fair Ship Rebels is probably solid as a rock.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I see two other dumb options:
Dengaroo

Whisper with a palpatine in a reaper and your choice of third ship (Inquisitor fits nicely)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I see two other dumb options:
Dengaroo

Whisper with a palpatine in a reaper and your choice of third ship (Inquisitor fits nicely)

Dengaroo just gets murdered by Fenn/Ghost.

Whisper just gets murdered by bombs, especially advanced slam + cluster mines (or proxy) K-Wings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I put together a second edition Rebel alpha strike list. It rolls up to 20 red dice in a round, all at I6, with mods on all but one shot, and double mods on most. The trick is you need to aim for range 2 to make the most of it.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel%...a%20Strike&obs=

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

that sounds awful why would anyone want to play in that. "sick of 1.0 yet? heres the absolute worst cesspit of 1.0!"

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

banned from Starbucks posted:

that sounds awful why would anyone want to play in that. "sick of 1.0 yet? heres the absolute worst cesspit of 1.0!"

Because I know the exact poo poo they'll bring out because they think it's OP and unbeatable, I'll trot out my killer list, and push their poo poo in.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Yeah, I am trying to get it put back to a regular 1.0 tournament. Our regular TO isn't going to be there so they will want me to do it and no frickin way am a spending the whole day dealing with that mess.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I put together a second edition Rebel alpha strike list. It rolls up to 20 red dice in a round, all at I6, with mods on all but one shot, and double mods on most. The trick is you need to aim for range 2 to make the most of it.

im pretty sure Swarm Tactics is gonna be the mvp talent of the new edition.

at least until they cave and add more power creep cards

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

im pretty sure Swarm Tactics is gonna be the mvp talent of the new edition.

I've been searching for each faction's answer to the TIE Bomber swarm. Originally I thought Rebels were going to be a four-ship damage spreading list, like Fair Ship Rebels from 1.0, but I haven't found one that wins reliably.

So I thought: what if I just kill a couple of them before they shoot?

And this list was born.

I can't find the equivalent for Imperials (I can do it at Init 4 and 5 easily) because only Soontir and Vader are I6. Soontir doesn't have munitions slots and Vader can't take Swarm Tactics.

Scum can do it at I6 with either Dengar or Fenn as the base, but it doesn't have the same action economy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

And this list was born.

What list

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been searching for each faction's answer to the TIE Bomber swarm. Originally I thought Rebels were going to be a four-ship damage spreading list, like Fair Ship Rebels from 1.0, but I haven't found one that wins reliably.

So I thought: what if I just kill a couple of them before they shoot?

And this list was born.

I can't find the equivalent for Imperials (I can do it at Init 4 and 5 easily) because only Soontir and Vader are I6. Soontir doesn't have munitions slots and Vader can't take Swarm Tactics.

Scum can do it at I6 with either Dengar or Fenn as the base, but it doesn't have the same action economy.

Does the initiative from Wedge pass to all of the ships with swarm?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Raged posted:

Does the initiative from Wedge pass to all of the ships with swarm?

It daisy chains. Wedge passes his I6 to Airen, who passes it to Garven, who passes it to the Bandit.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Oh ok, so sounds like meta = solved, then? Looks like my choices are... TIE Bomber swarm or attani mindlink swarm tactics conga line? Anything I'm missing? (I'm sure the answer is yes)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh ok, so sounds like meta = solved, then? Looks like my choices are... TIE Bomber swarm or attani mindlink swarm tactics conga line? Anything I'm missing? (I'm sure the answer is yes)

I don't think the meta is solved. There could easily be something we haven't stumbled upon yet.

But, right now, it looks like there are two truths:

1) Lists that focus on jousting and efficient bodies are the most consistent lists.
2) Barrage Rocket TIE Bomber swarms are the most consistent and efficient among that archetype.

Arc dodgers are in a good place, conceptually. They're the natural predators of arc-based jousting lists, but they've (mostly) lost the two things that gave them consistency: double reposition and token stacking. Without those it only takes a single mistake to lose an ace. That's rough!

Turret ships are in probably the worst place, overall. They're expensive and can die in a single round to a swarm.

But efficiency swarms: they can make a mistake, lose a ship or two, and still come out ahead in the long term. Neither of the other two main archetypes can say that.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Heads up, I went to my local Barnes and Noble looking for discounted ships. I only found a YV-666 but when I went on their website they had TIE Advanced Prototypes, Y-Wings, and T-65s/T-70s at 50% off.

The salesperson told me it was cool to order them online for store pickup and then just grab them right off the shelf. In case anyone was looking to grab some extra ships before 2.0 drops.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Supernatural aces and Boba+Fenn Rau+something lists are going to impact the meta significantly. Thinking that efficiency-based swarm lists have solved the meta is lol

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I think it's very hard to say there is any kind of 2.0 meta at all yet to start solving. Until enough players have the game in their hands all we have is anecdotal information and theoretical number crunching.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Boba + Guri + Escape Craft with white coordinate :allears:

Edit: Composure looks very good on Guri, and Heroic looks like you'd staple it to the escape craft.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 26, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Official tournaments will only be using Wave 1 type ships until the others are released, won't they? So bombers and Z-95s won't be present in the meta

Edit: VVV oh that owns

alg fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 26, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

alg posted:

Official tournaments will only be using Wave 1 type ships until the others are released, won't they? So bombers and Z-95s won't be present in the meta

It's an alternate format for the wave kits. Not a required format.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I think it's very hard to say there is any kind of 2.0 meta at all yet to start solving. Until enough players have the game in their hands all we have is anecdotal information and theoretical number crunching.

Which is why lists based purely on crunching numbers or maximizing rolled dice are being touted as meta-defining right now, which, you know, maybe?

Like the Swarm Tactics list engages at I6, but doesn't activate there except for Wedge, and that is... really important???

I'm not saying that these lists are bad, or that coming up with what you think could be strong based on the information you have available (lots of numbers, lots of card text) is bad. Where it becomes bad is when there's little/no acknowledgement of the gaps in lists made this way, or when people go into the game assuming jousting swarms with ordnance/bombs are already The Meta and play accordingly.

There is no meta right now. There is no "list to beat." Do whatever you want, and tune at your discretion. There's definitely things that are better than others, but the amount of stuff that's viable seems exhaustive, so maybe pump the breaks on the cascading assumptions of what will be good.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Back in V1's first wave, a dude in my local scene was very concerned that Swarm tactics would break the game. Not super worried about it this time, either.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

hoiyes posted:

Edit: Composure looks very good on Guri, and Heroic looks like you'd staple it to the escape craft.

Heroic is Resistance-only AFAIK

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So word is that the Regionals kit that used to cost $160 now costs $500 :homebrew:

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

But they haven't announced the next regional kit yet? If that's the case, maybe they've tripled the amount of content, making sure everybody who participates walks away with something cool.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

uncle blog posted:

But they haven't announced the next regional kit yet? If that's the case, maybe they've tripled the amount of content, making sure everybody who participates walks away with something cool.

I would be happy if that's the case but I have severe doubts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Finster Dexter posted:

2e swarm tactics conga line doesn't work. It doesn't actually change your initiative, it just lets you activate at a different initiative.

uncle blog posted:

They have though. It's not called regionals anymore, it's called like... hyperspace qualifier I think.

hoiyes posted:

Can't put composure on Guri, requires Focus action.

--

loving Nationals.

That's all I'm gonna say. Ugh.