Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is this a necrophilia joke?

No, jeez. Give me some credit. It's a circumcision joke.

That's a hell of a pagesnype though...ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

No, jeez. Give me some credit. It's a circumcision joke.

That's a hell of a pagesnype though...ugh.

I have no idea how one would make a connection to circumcision from these posts

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Having a cabin in the Nordic woods is p cool therapy.

Knew I did that poo poo for a reason.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

I think somebody just bought themselves a custom redtext.

please dont attribute fake quotes to me, i do not wish to create joinder with u

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I have no idea how one would make a connection to circumcision from these posts

Thread title.

My apologies, it was a heavy misfire. I should've gone with the narrative model I'd originally scripted, but I was uncomfortable going too graphic after the recent discussion.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I've managed to avoid having to deal with CP cases directly and thank gently caress for that. I've had a couple of DV cases where the kids tried to protect the victim and that's plenty as is.

Worst was when I had a 13 year old and their CPS worker come to the clinic I used to work at for a DVRO filing against dad. Kid just launched into full detail of everything during the interview and woof.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sympathies to any of you who have had to work CP/abuse cases. When I was in law school I had a chance to volunteer either at a school for handicapped kids or to volunteer at a home for victims of child abuse. I was told by the director of the home that some of the kids are so traumatized that they will act out sexually with adults they like and trust because that's what they've been taught by their abusers. I decided to volunteer with the handicapped kids instead.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I worked four years doing divorces that involved domestic abuse, child abuse, and sexual assault. I burned out so badly that all I could do at the office was stare numbly at case law for hours on end.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Criminal law is the only law that makes me feel like I'm making a difference and the thing I'm working on matters.

This

And my job involves fighting Racist Cops which is always fun.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Yep.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

GET MONEY posted:

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

Upon research I've narrowed the most magic bullet-y practices down to:

• Antitrust
  • Appellate practice
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entertainment & sports
  • Insurance coverage
  • Insurance defense
  • Intellectual property
  • Labor & employment
  • Personal injury
  • Tax
  • Telecommunication

Any thoughts on which areas are dying/thriving, or offer the best shot at biglaw employment?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

• Antitrust
  • Appellate practice
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entertainment & sports
  • Insurance coverage
  • Insurance defense
  • Intellectual property
  • Labor & employment
  • Personal injury
  • Tax
  • Telecommunication

Any thoughts on which areas are dying/thriving, or offer the best shot at biglaw employment?

This is just a completely perplexing list. A lot of these are grinding, unexciting practice areas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Get Money, your list is missing Admiralty and Book Depository law, two notable magic bullet practice areas.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Anything that involves or could involve medical evidence is the furthest possible thing from any kind of 'magic bullet' approach, so there goes half the list. You remain the dumbest poster in this thread, and I'm here.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Admiralty was considered but I figure it's too niche and also sometimes I get seasick. I could probably strike tax, personal injury, labor & employment, and insurance coverage too.

Per my understanding, the rest all offer varied work that regularly balances factual analysis and problem solving with intellectual exercise.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

Admiralty was considered but I figure it's too niche and also sometimes I get seasick. I could probably strike tax, personal injury, labor & employment, and insurance coverage too.

There’s good money in all of those areas. It just doesn’t involve representing the “good” side.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

No qualms there, "goodness" is relative -- those areas in particular just seemed more formulaic and less strategic after diving a bit deeper.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

Get Money, your list is missing Admiralty and Book Depository law, two notable magic bullet practice areas.

gently caress I missed lawyer thread lmao

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

No qualms there, "goodness" is relative -- those areas in particular just seemed more formulaic and less strategic after diving a bit deeper.

I can't wait to see you trapped in doc review hell.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

Actually, law, and biglaw is no different, is a fulfilling and interesting career regardless of the area of law. Every field will have you do important work on interesting and valuable projects that can and will contribute to your professional development and make you grow as a person. All this talk about not going to law school is just memeing and sometimes trolling, disregard that and go for it. You will rarely be bored, I promise

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

1) Law school or not
2) Litigation or transactional
3) Do summer rotations at a firm (biglaw = get money)
4) The firm will helpfully pigeonhole you in something, enjoy your life w/ the law (the next 3 years, at which point you scrub out)
5) Post updates every couple weeks, describing your numerous affairs etc.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

Actually, law, and biglaw is no different, is a fulfilling and interesting career regardless of the area of law. Every field will have you do important work on interesting and valuable projects that can and will contribute to your professional development and make you grow as a person. All this talk about not going to law school is just memeing and sometimes trolling, disregard that and go for it. You will rarely be bored, I promise

This is one of the most evil things I've seen a russian do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

algebra testes posted:

gently caress I missed lawyer thread lmao

I hope that starts to make up for my failure of an autopsy joke.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 25, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

I hope that starts to make up for my failure of an autopsy joke.

Your joke was dead on arrival.

i really liked it

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Great stuff everyone, all around!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Openings coming up in securities law. Job secured!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lote posted:

Openings coming up in securities law. Job secured!

Scale of 1-10 magic bullets, how many magic bullets?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Look Sir Droids posted:

Scale of 1-10 magic bullets, how many magic bullets?

I want to say 419 but let’s round it up to an even 420 magic bullets

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

GET MONEY posted:

• Antitrust
  • Appellate practice
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entertainment & sports
  • Insurance coverage
  • Insurance defense
  • Intellectual property
  • Labor & employment
  • Personal injury
  • Tax
  • Telecommunication

I clearly missed a bunch of posts here but what the gently caress is this? I’m getting whooshed super hard right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mikeraskol posted:

I clearly missed a bunch of posts here but what the gently caress is this? I’m getting whooshed super hard right?

GET MONEY is here to, well, get money. GET MONEY has decided that he absolutely must be a biglaw associate and is trying to find his niche so he can give grandiose arguments in front of a jury like they do on TV to facilitate the getting of said money.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Criminal law is full of magic bullets, especially in magistrate court.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i've determined the following narrow areas are my best opportunities, any thoughts on them?

- mob lawyer (MobLaw)
- torts
- advising people re: joinder
- litigation
- corporation(s) (???)

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 25, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

Admiralty was considered but I figure it's too niche and also sometimes I get seasick.

It was a drat good troll until he jumped the shark* here

*heh

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, 6 hours on a Saturday morning are the productivity equivalent of 15 business hours during the week.

Go to law school

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm surprised the term magic bullet lawyer wasn't in widespread use.

I'll accept that it's true in criminal law.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GET MONEY posted:

• Antitrust
  • Appellate practice
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entertainment & sports
  • Insurance coverage
  • Insurance defense
  • Intellectual property
  • Labor & employment
  • Personal injury
  • Tax
  • Telecommunication

Everyone else has already dunked on you, so I'm not going to put much effort into this: lol

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

GET MONEY is here to, well, get money. GET MONEY has decided that he absolutely must be a biglaw associate and is trying to find his niche so he can give grandiose arguments in front of a jury like they do on TV to facilitate the getting of said money.

I do care about career earning potential (as a byproduct of doing interesting work solving problems and developing case strategy), but having to do jury trials regularly would be a big negative. This is all just early planning so I can tailor my extracurriculars and prioritize firms.

Anyway, thanks to the two serious respondents.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lol extracurriculars. Get Money gonna join the T14 Beekeepers Society.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

GET MONEY posted:

I do care about career earning potential (as a byproduct of doing interesting work solving problems and developing case strategy), but having to do jury trials regularly would be a big negative. This is all just early planning so I can tailor my extracurriculars and prioritize firms.

Anyway, thanks to the two serious respondents.

Yeah this is a troll. Extracurriculars rofl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GET MONEY posted:

Per my understanding, the rest all offer varied work that regularly balances factual analysis and problem solving with intellectual exercise.

I did ten years as a biglaw Intellectual Property associate. Your understanding is flat wrong.