Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Procrastine posted:

Just found out boss rush Hornet has different dreamnail dialog than normal. She seems to notice the spectators in the back. Who wants to dreamnail every boss to see if others are changed? :v:

The bindings in boss rush seem to be: Charms, no charms (unsurprisingly); Shell, default health (4); Soul, one third default soul (enough for one spell); Nail, reduced damage but not default nail damage (vengeflies still die in one hit). Anyone know exactly how the nail binding works?

Grimm does too. He's happy to put on another show. He bows to the god seeker at the start too

I've actually been dream nailing a lot of them with the associated charm (it restores like a third or more of your maximum soul, including the pips!) but I'm not familiar enough with everyone's normal dialog to tell the difference for most of them.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

can’t believe those bastards at Capcom locked the real ending to Okami where Amaterasu joins Ka’zar in the Savage Land behind completing MvC3

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Pantheon Uumuu. How?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fedule posted:

Pantheon Uumuu. How?

She roars and summons small guys. Kill them and make the exploded nucleus hit Uumuu.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Arrhythmia posted:

She roars and summons small guys. Kill them and make the exploded nucleus hit Uumuu.

Crap, this is exactly what I was hoping the answer wouldn't be.

I roll with Weaversong/Grubsong for soulfarming fun and my spider friends seem to just spawncamp the jellies, which seems to destroy the core too (I guess it hits the acid), so I guess this fight is an absolute counter to my build.

This seems like it will be incredibly tedious in any case. I always dealt with the jellyfish by either spiking them into acid or avoiding them entirely.

I've decided Pantheon Uumuu is a bad encouter.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Gosh Soul Sanctum is a lot easier with a framerate >10

Crystal Peak is such a lovely area, it's definitely one of my favourites despite having a pretty rough time with the the Guardian

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 25, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fedule posted:

Crap, this is exactly what I was hoping the answer wouldn't be.

I roll with Weaversong/Grubsong for soulfarming fun and my spider friends seem to just spawncamp the jellies, which seems to destroy the core too (I guess it hits the acid), so I guess this fight is an absolute counter to my build.

This seems like it will be incredibly tedious in any case. I always dealt with the jellyfish by either spiking them into acid or avoiding them entirely.

I've decided Pantheon Uumuu is a bad encouter.

Just wait until Uumuu is on top of the jelly, hit it, and tank the explosion.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Woof, first Pantheon down. Only took me two tries but it got real close there at the end. Now should I do the second one, or start attempting the first with bindings?

E: Are there wonderful secrets to find in the main map now? I already found the new side area with the key that unlocks the new DLC area.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 25, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dunno if bindings get you anything, other than gamer pride. course there is that weird door with the pips around it that i still don't know what to do with

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lets hang out posted:

dunno if bindings get you anything, other than gamer pride. course there is that weird door with the pips around it that i still don't know what to do with

bindings fill up those pips. looks like you get something at 8, 12, and 16 pips.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't messed with Bindings because I care about my sanity. Unless there's something real good in there I'm fine not knowing.

I mean there's a point where I've gotta tap out

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'll say this for the DLC: I am a huge fan of the hall of bosses. That alone is what I would call worth the money if this DLC cost any money. I am particularly a huge fan of the fact that they retained all the original music from the fights. When I figured this out I immediately went to fight Grimm (both versions) again just so I could hear his fuckin' Cirque du Sephiroth theme music again. God it's so good. It's lucky it was so good, because it sure as gently caress was what gave me the will to keep on trying to beat his Nightmare form.

On which note, the Pantheons suck as game design setpieces at the most conceptual level and drat if it's not the music that keeps me coming back.

(On a similar note, the music was really the final nail in the coffin of the Path of Pain. The rest of the White Palace is not exactly chill platforming but it's got this extremely chill and melancholic music playing the whole time and it just, like, offsets the stress of the repetitive task you're trying to do (see also: Celeste B-Sides). The Path of Pain, on the other hand, reuses the music from the last phase of the Hollow Knight fight. Now that's not bad music. It was especially not bad in its original context, at the mechanical and emotional climax and wind-down of a significant battle where it also plays for maybe thirty entire seconds. That was a perfect time to break out some music like this. In the Path of Pain, it just keeps on looping - it's not a very long or really particularly interesting track on its own, even if they did add a new layer each hell room - and it seems to both demand your attention and suck at holding it. It is not at all conducive to the mindset the game wants you to have in this place. Then again, neither are the game mechanics. Good platforming music really is an art, I guess.)

In general I am really loving feeling the music in this game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah while I loved the Path of Pain and I love that theme, but I did not love the overlap.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best remix is on the title screen. The zote theme you unlock that just has him mumbling and coughing a lot is the best.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The best remix is on the title screen. The zote theme you unlock that just has him mumbling and coughing a lot is the best.

Wait, you can change the music on the title screen? I got to the hidden area and all, but I haven't heard anything like this.

Also I finally beat rear end in a top hat jellyfish, that fight sucks out loud and is completely unfun but it is feasible. Unless you enter the fight already drained of your soul and half your health.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Wait, you can change the music on the title screen? I got to the hidden area and all, but I haven't heard anything like this.

Also I finally beat rear end in a top hat jellyfish, that fight sucks out loud and is completely unfun but it is feasible. Unless you enter the fight already drained of your soul and half your health.

You might need to hit a certain milestone but it's a title screen theme. The Zote statue is in the background and he's singing like a moron instead of the usual music

Here's a video of it

Edit: Yeah it's for getting to 57 according to that video.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i like having dream wielder for uumuu. doesn't actually make it easier to hit him but it does make it easy to dream nail him while he's slowly drifting around for lots of soul. makes waiting for the jellies to line up less stressful imo

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Boss rush, like trial of fools, is 75% not for me. But for people who love it I'm glad they added it.
Something about getting 15 mins into a battle only to fail and have to restart doesn't tickle my fancy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tell you what the collector didn't need primal aspids!!!! :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s an obvious loving teaser for the next dlc you whiny brats christ

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

markoth loving sucks

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It’s driving me nuts that the one thing that makes Pure Vessel anything less than an amazing fight is that the stupid arena is too loving dark to see his tentacle attack before it’s too late. Literally the only thing keeping me from perfecting this guy is that the Godseeker decides to turn the lights off for this one fight.

E: There’s no way to avoid it other than jumping, right? It makes the timing so strict but nothing else I could do worked.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 25, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I beat Broken Vessel on my first try (of this, my 2nd playthrough), wasn't expecting that! Spells are powerful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

accessibility in games is great but it’s taking things to a ridiculous extreme when people insist that content that isn’t catered specifically to their skill level just cannot exist in video games and to put things that are too hard for some people in your game is a crime against gaming.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there an ideal super smooth progression in the game? As in, I'd rather spend time leveling up and getting all of the different perks than trying to rush through boss fights and getting my rear end handed to me over and over again for hours. I'd rather get as much HP and power-ups first before bashing my skull against the wall.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm glad the only content they locked behind this free dlc is a cutscene that I will be looking up on youtube eventually

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okay, got him. Turns out the key was remembering how awesome Shape of Unn is, it turns multiple risky heal opportunities into sure things.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What is under the Watcher Knights in the list of bosses? Is it also something I'll unlock in the Godmaster trials?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy crap the Mantis Lords v2 fight is amazing. Everyone should at least get far enough into the final pantheon to unlock that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Argue posted:

What is under the Watcher Knights in the list of bosses? Is it also something I'll unlock in the Godmaster trials?

It's No Eyes, a champion ghost

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there an ideal super smooth progression in the game? As in, I'd rather spend time leveling up and getting all of the different perks than trying to rush through boss fights and getting my rear end handed to me over and over again for hours. I'd rather get as much HP and power-ups first before bashing my skull against the wall.

Nope! The game is relatively linear until you get the Mantis Claw about two hours in. After that it unfolds and you can go pretty much any direction you want.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who had plenty trouble beating the regular Grimm (and the true final boss) I somehow get the feeling that this DLC is not for me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

TeaJay posted:

As someone who had plenty trouble beating the regular Grimm (and the true final boss) I somehow get the feeling that this DLC is not for me.

The super-secret Zote room is pretty much objectively the best part of the whole thing anyway. :colbert:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is my life going to be dramatically better if I get a controller for my PC Hollow Knight? I'm using a keyboard right now and it's alright, just curious if somehow I'm missing out. I've never owned a controller for my PC in 30 years of PC gaming, unless you count lovely joysticks for flight sims back in the 90s. Where do I even start?

I managed to beat every boss in the game just fine on a keyboard, but I used a gamepad for my second playthrough and I definitely prefer it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TeaJay posted:

it's worth unlocking the area because of the room that lets you refight any boss you have seen

but yeah, overall this DLC is for people who want the game to hurt them

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure the ending is that you're such a disgusting monster, with such an insatiable lust for killing, that you're never going to stop. You've killed the Radiance, you've killed Hollow Nest, you've killed the flowers, the roots, the lights, everything, now you're coming for Hornet, and soon, everyone else

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I’d like a new main campaign mode with the four bindings active.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Turtlicious posted:

I'm pretty sure the ending is that you're such a disgusting monster, with such an insatiable lust for killing, that you're never going to stop. You've killed the Radiance, you've killed Hollow Nest, you've killed the flowers, the roots, the lights, everything, now you're coming for Hornet, and soon, everyone else

I didn't realize we were playing No Mercy Undertale this whole time

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I’d like a new main campaign mode with the four bindings active.

You're thinking small. Radiant steel campaign. All bosses are ascended and you die in one hit to everything. Death is permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Arrhythmia posted:

You're thinking small. Radiant steel campaign. All bosses are ascended and you die in one hit to everything. Death is permanent.

Two words: No. Benches.