Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On the floor, in bits, when he tries to move it off the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of funny looking at that set and how the sheer mass of it seems to be substantially bigger than the Falcon yet it's half the price. And it's even a licensed set from an immensely popular franchise. I think everyone is used to the Star Wars premium by now, but the markup has hit the point of sheer absurdity in some cases. The new Falcon has to be the worst deal in Lego History. The prices on Star Wars sets are a joke.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they're turning the screws on the toys that sell because Solo hasn't performed as well as they wanted in merch?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

The new Falcon has to be the worst deal in Lego History.

Cloud City looks to be worse. The only saving grace is all the minifigs. But the PPP is baaaaaad.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm not a fan of Harry Potter but my wife loves it, I was thinking of getting it for her but there won't be anywhere to put it... it sure ain't fitting in any normal-sized cabinet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Where are you gonna put it

On the record shelf where you can kinda see the Simpsons sets in the background.

Captain Invictus posted:

On the floor, in bits, when he tries to move it off the table

The only parts of it that really fall off when moving are the little plate strips at the bottom covering the long brick with technic hole bases. It splits into two pieces so it’s pretty manageable.

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of funny looking at that set and how the sheer mass of it seems to be substantially bigger than the Falcon yet it's half the price. And it's even a licensed set from an immensely popular franchise. I think everyone is used to the Star Wars premium by now, but the markup has hit the point of sheer absurdity in some cases. The new Falcon has to be the worst deal in Lego History. The prices on Star Wars sets are a joke.

I dunno the Falcon is loving huge still. It’s like 10” longer than the castle is wide. One of the reasons I don’t want it really (besides cost) is the sheer size of it- the castle was just within the limits of what we could display.

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter but my wife loves it, I was thinking of getting it for her but there won't be anywhere to put it... it sure ain't fitting in any normal-sized cabinet.

Yeah it definitely needs a dedicated shelf or table surface.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dogen posted:

Finished the Hogwarts Castle ama

Did you gently caress up any of the stickers?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dogen posted:

Finished the Hogwarts Castle ama

Salad green? Really?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just noticed the Halloween decorations up already.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I just bought $240 worth of parts through bricks & pieces and bricklink. Can't wait to spend an entire day sorting

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Carbohydrates posted:

Did you gently caress up any of the stickers?

One of the doors to the building that isn’t the great hall. I kind of damaged it trying to adjust it but it’s like in the upper hinge side corner so I think it’s fine. I had to consider for a while how to put the stickers in the quarter cylinder pieces because I was trying to start them from the top but I figured out it’s better to start from the side and go around the curve.

Overall in my past experience if you contact customer service and say you hosed up a sticker they’ll ask you for a number (from the box or instructions, I forget) that is unique to your set to make sure you haven’t asked for replacements before and once you give it to them they’ll send you a sticker set.

Habibi posted:

Salad green? Really?

It’s pastel really, just the night time lighting makes it look different.

The_Doctor posted:

Please, the cat banner and jackalope moon and stars are year round!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Habibi posted:

Salad green? Really?

The_Doctor posted:

drat goons are quick to judge the details in the background of a picture.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hey. When you say "ama" you have to mean it. Fourth rule of the internet after not talking about the internet, not reading the comments section on articles on the internet, and this space left blank for future use.

I mean, look at this:

Dogen posted:

It’s pastel really, just the night time lighting makes it look different.

Literally Stalin's favorite color.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I’m used to receiving it, and take it in good humour.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Almost makes me miss the awful yearbook.

Testro
May 2, 2009
How long did it take you to build?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably approx all the Harry Potter movies. 19-20 hours. I did one big session in which I did the first half and watched the first four movies, then two smaller sittings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have no concept of how much 3D printing huge parts actually costs. Is it cheaper than just having a small factory make them?

e: Oh it's not going to be that big :(

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm the neatly organised bookcase

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm moving this week and I appreciate how the Bugatti fits neatly into the box it came in, if you take the lower front bumper off.

Everything else is just going in boxes with lots of packing paper and crossed fingers. I already have to rebuild the Slave I but hopefully everything else survives.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m a big fan of sets that can fit easily back into their boxes with minimal breakdown.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I always wonder how my building speed compares to others, because 20 hours sounds like a long time.

Granted, the largest set I have is the Saturn V but that only took me 5 hours.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well the castle has 3 times as many pieces and some of them are pretty fiddly. Also I definitely took more time during the end sessions fixing things I had messed up because I was losing focus.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
20 hours does seem a bit long. But everyone goes at their own pace. Also, some sets are easier/harder to find the correct pieces which is what uses up most of the time, I think.

I think I normally build around 3-500 pieces an hour. That's quite a range, but as mentioned, some sets are easier to find the right pieces than others.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I deliberately slow myself down with larger sets to sort of savor the experience a bit. I could totally see spending 20 hours on something particularly special.

edit: I dragged Assembly Square out over, like, 5 or 6 days just to enjoy it longer

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Carbohydrates posted:

I deliberately slow myself down with larger sets to sort of savor the experience a bit. I could totally see spending 20 hours on something particularly special.

edit: I dragged Assembly Square out over, like, 5 or 6 days just to enjoy it longer

Did the same with the Saturn. Went at bag-a-day pace, until the last day when I did the last three all at once

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Serperoth posted:

Did the same with the Saturn. Went at bag-a-day pace, until the last day when I did the last three all at once

I did the same thing. I did one bag a day until finally I had to finish it and rushed through the rest.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The original UCS Falcon took me like 60 hours (its all a blur) but i 1-piled it

In hindsight i should have used more piles as it ended up being an unenjoyable build because of that. One of the early steps requires a piece that has a single instance, finding that specific piece in a pile of 5000 was not fun.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 26, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can’t imagine how you first thought that would be fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can see the excitement of just dumping everything in a pile and digging in. But I can also see the immediate regret. Did you also mix everything once you dumped the bags?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
1pile4lyfe crew checking in

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a glass case I can place all of my Lego sets in. I don't have many and wouldn't mind putting 1-2 sets into each shelf. I mostly have the creator cars (Camper van, Mini Cooper, Beetle and London Bus), but my main concern would be my giant rear end Batmobile. Any suggestions?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Ikea display case ‘detolf’ is usually the gold standard. You should easily fit 2 vehicles per shelf, and maybe the Batmobile on top with some chocks so it doesn’t roll?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Ineptitude posted:

The original UCS Falcon took me like 60 hours (its all a blur) but i 1-piled it

Why would you do this?

It took me a few hours more than the first season of American Gods to build the Falcon (I built it while my wife watched the show).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm a big dumb nerd who can't choose which Star Wars lego set to buy myself for my birthday.

U-Wing fighter or the Resistance Bomber?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Building from a big pile can be fun but not with a giant gray Star Wars set. Honestly I don't even know how people find the space to do that though. Like, when I was building Ninjago City one set of numbered bags took up most of my kitchen table and I think their were 19 sets of them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm a big dumb nerd who can't choose which Star Wars lego set to buy myself for my birthday.

I really liked the U-Wing, and I maybe buy one Star Wars set in a blue moon*. Plus it would probably display easier than the Bomber.

* I have been informed that's no moon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

X-Wing or Y Wing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Actually, do you mean the U-Wing? Because that's been retired. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You should get the Y-Wing. I'm not big into star wars ships, but that's the one I'd get if forced to get one.