Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

DrNutt posted:

Like you do you I guess but reading the spoilers for God of War has been hilarious because it's all like, Norse mythology from a game series that has been about doing mythology. Like, is anyone actually surprised and amazed by doing poo poo from Norse mythology? Also certain spoilers related to Kratos that are just kind of like "yeah this is Kratos alright" also seem funny.

I dunno I'm just on the completely don't give a gently caress about spoilers end of the spectrum so it just seems sort of amusing to me I guess.

There was an AV Club article on how well done the boat sequences were and the headline immediately made me crack up because of this thread.

I didn't know anything about Norse mythology so it was all new to me. But I'm also your exact opposite because I think all kinds of details are worth putting behind spoilers. Discovering the game for yourself is one of the best feelings. That's why I also think doing dumb drive-by spoilers like that one guy awhile ago is super petty and just all around lovely, especially in a general thread like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I just started playing the Witcher 3 but I keep accidentally thinking the controls work like GoW or Souls while I'm in the middle of combat.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

1.The original PS2 trailer that came out months before the game in 2002 AKA the trailer of all trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFQ7SaRcK4
My personal favorite. The sound mixing is perfect, the gameplay segments are iconic and extremely well edited. Everything about this is a 10/10.

2.The trailer for the PS3/360 ZOE HD pack that released in 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaElRiezTIc
A good attempt but mostly does a good job. Not as good gameplay segments. They try to recreate the 2002 version but don't quite get it right and lacks the punch. A very big fuckup at one particular 1-second shot that shows an endgame reveal model of Jehuty that the guys at Konami thoughtfully model-swapped back to its original version to not blow that surprise. Other than that, this does a great job recreating the original.

3.The trailer for the ZOE2 M∀RS pack that releases next week in September 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvhtnLg5bw
A good job taking the trailer to full 4k quality with its text crawls, fancy editing etc. I also like the crediting of the english VAs towards the end. They recreated that stuff perfectly but the gameplay sections are even WORSE this time. The part where he shoots the Spiders he blows up a loving civilian city, which you're not supposed to do lmao. I intensely dislike the new sound mixing on this and the audio levels are just all over the place. They make the same mistake as the 2012 pack and show the final form reveal. I'd say this is bad. That final Anubis shot at the end when he teleports into the foreground just has the most flaccid sound to it and doesn't carry the terror and intimidation it once had.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samuringa posted:

Many people don't know about Norse mythology and the devs knew about that as they made both Kratos a clueless outsider and Atreus a naive bookworm who are completely unprepared for what they're going to face. I overdid on the spoilers because there are many little details that I wish people see by themselves, but there are also many things I guessed ahead of time that I figure some people might not, and I don't want to ruin that experience for them; even if it doesn't mean much to me, it might to them.

Like, if most people don't know the mythology than what difference does it make if they know Niflheim is a place you go in the game? In what context does knowing that change anything about experiencing it?

lordfrikk posted:

I didn't know anything about Norse mythology so it was all new to me. But I'm also your exact opposite because I think all kinds of details are worth putting behind spoilers. Discovering the game for yourself is one of the best feelings. That's why I also think doing dumb drive-by spoilers like that one guy awhile ago is super petty and just all around lovely, especially in a general thread like this.

I'll respect others and not post untagged spoilers but I do sometimes wish I had the chance to experience that mindset. I don't think I've ever had experienced a story where I thought knowing as little as possible going into it actually made a difference in how I enjoyed it. Maybe the first time seeing the Sixth Sense?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

beep by grandpa posted:

Rt if u want kiryu's beam

I want Kiryu

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For whatever reason Greek mythology gets a lot of attention in American schools, with Egyptian mythology getting some light mention during history and Norse mythology getting literally zero attention ever. As a result Neil Gaiman fans are the only people on Earth who give a poo poo about Viking sex gods until basically this year*.

*Too Human :negative:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bust Rodd posted:

For whatever reason Greek mythology gets a lot of attention in American schools, with Egyptian mythology getting some light mention during history and Norse mythology getting literally zero attention ever. As a result Neil Gaiman fans are the only people on Earth who give a poo poo about Viking sex gods until basically this year*.

Ehhhhhhhhh. Through Tolkien and therefore all fantasy people have a feel for Norse at least if not knowing names.

Egyptian is wholly foreign.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bust Rodd posted:

my dude white people LOVE norse poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steve Yun posted:

The changes they made to Norse mythology were sublime too. Like Baldur being the exact opposite of how he's portrayed in the myth made me go "ahhhhwwww" at my screen when I found out it was him.

Kratos is importantly an outsider to the greater Norse pantheon, so appropriately gods who are portrayed as noble and kind-hearted by their own myths come off as totally insane and aloof from the perspective of someone just trying to chop wood.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

DrNutt posted:

Like, if most people don't know the mythology than what difference does it make if they know Niflheim is a place you go in the game? In what context does knowing that change anything about experiencing it?

I'll respect others and not post untagged spoilers but I do sometimes wish I had the chance to experience that mindset. I don't think I've ever had experienced a story where I thought knowing as little as possible going into it actually made a difference in how I enjoyed it. Maybe the first time seeing the Sixth Sense?

You realize this is a very weird thing to be anal about, right? It's almost like a Reverse Boating.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samuringa posted:

You realize this is a very weird thing to be anal about, right? It's almost like a Reverse Boating.

I don't really think I'm anal, I just don't really get it and I was hoping someone could explain to me what is so neat about having Norse mythology unspoiled if you already have no real knowledge of Norse mythology. I didn't mean it to be adversarial or anything, like I said I'm not gonna yuk anyone's yum around here.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrNutt posted:

I don't really think I'm anal, I just don't really get it and I was hoping someone could explain to me what is so neat about having Norse mythology unspoiled if you already have no real knowledge of Norse mythology. I didn't mean it to be adversarial or anything, like I said I'm not gonna yuk anyone's yum around here.

The reason I think spoilers are necessary is that the game plays off the player knowing or not knowing about the mythology itself.

Basically you should go into GoW with the exact amount of GoW + Norse mythology you currently have. It rewards you for what you know or don’t know and learning more about the game will only make it less satisfying to experience + read about afterwards. Just my opinion though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DrNutt posted:

experiencing the story first hand during the flow of narrative context versus having it spoiled because somebody personally finds it cumbersome to type brackets and spoiler? impossible to know why anyone may care.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

started up mad max since I'd been meaning to since it was added to ps+ and it's very pretty but idk that I'm ready for another busywork open world game directly after mafia 3. still, it seems pretty fun so far

that dog better be ok

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rabidsquid posted:

experiencing the story first hand during the flow of narrative context versus having it spoiled because somebody personally finds it cumbersome to type brackets and spoiler? impossible to know why anyone may care.

People aren't spoiling plots points we're talking things like place names.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bust Rodd posted:

We (as in America and Europe) like to consider our societies to be directly descended from ancient Greece and Rome, so yeah, those are given disproportionate coverage in history.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone confirm that Guacamelee 2 is basically the first game but more of it + improved? The first is one of my favorite metroidvania platformer whatevers.

Just finished it and this is exactly what it is. I found it somewhat easier than the first game but that's probably just me being more experienced.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The spoiler sports (tm all rights reserved) like to jerk normies chains and push the envelope in discussions about how much of a thread they want to require constant mousework to read and unless youre in here going like "aris dies!" About a newish game nobody give a poo poo.

My babysitter told me Mario 2 is a loving dream. You get over it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it does suck, to move the mouse. i hate it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/swaampp/status/1032359592951463936
Apologies to some readers who may only see a storefront & parking lot

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I just bought my first new console in 15 years. The last one I owned was an Xbox original in high school.
I feel like having the power of a PS4 in my life all the sudden is going to blow my mind. I'm so far gone from gaming culture that it's going to be surreal trying to catch up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

hey why can't I use a Bluetooth headset on the PS4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

Sony said no

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good lord, chapter 14 of Y0 was brutal. What a rollercoaster.

haveblue posted:

Just finished it and this is exactly what it is. I found it somewhat easier than the first game but that's probably just me being more experienced.

Awesome! I’m excited for it. I don’t mind if it’s easier. The first game was pretty rough on me and I wasn’t playing for the difficulty anyway.

beep by grandpa posted:

Doesn’t look like anything to me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Good lord, chapter 14 of Y0 was brutal. What a rollercoaster.
I'm sitting saved after the first cutscenes of Ch. 16 and I'm dying to finish but won't until I have what, 4? hours to just plow through which I probably won't get until like Monday.

Just at a glance I've gotten like maybe half the substories for both Kiryu and Majima and I feel like I just haven't seen any more opportunities despite running all over the cities for a few chapters. Are there a bunch that come up postgame, or are a lot of the ones I don't have in my list just placeholders for like friendships and minigames? I'll definitely come back to Premium Adventure to catch the ones I missed.

Will say I'm not dying to jump into Kiwami immediately -- will probably fill the rest of this year with like RDR2 and finishing off some stuff on the Switch (BotW I've played plenty but do need to beat, Octopath, Hollow Knight, MxR). Might sandwich the Kiwamis around the Shenmues? I'm new to weird Japanese bullshit but it's been my jam this generation so however janky they may be in 2018 I think I gotta give those a shot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think any specifically require the post game? maybe the optional boss but I think he just needs you to beat the rest of the substories

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The actual issue is that people have terrible spoiler etiquette.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll probably space out the Yakuzas too since I need new things in my face 24/7 but we’ll see. At this point it’s really hard to put down when I get into it. I just don’t want to get overwhelmed and fatigued which can happen to me with super long games.

The lady is playing The Witcher 3 right now and it’s making me miss it. That game is so good and is definitely a game I want to finish. Maybe that will be next?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Over There posted:

I don't know why I pressed buy but I did

maybe I should cancel it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

The latency would be too high on 99% of devices and people would complain to them. I assume they did with the Vita.

Edit: it would be even for current devices, not even counting ones from several years ago when they were developing the thing.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 25, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh god I just got like an hour+ into Dead Cells, hit some spikes and lo and behold the do like 1500 damage in the clock tower. I had all gold weapons too. gently caress!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

haveblue posted:

Yes, there's an extra scene that plays if you return to Kratos's house after finishing the campaign. Try to make that the last thing you do in the game before NG+ (or putting it down to wait for the sequel).

Anyway, I finished doing my stuff, saw this and, frankly, it's kinda eh, pretty obvious that that would happen. What intrigued me more was when I was using the fast travel back and Mimir mentioned that not only Freya was the Queen Of The Valkyries but that she went to him while Kratos and Atreus were at Jotunheim to demand how to get her wings back. That a far more interesting hook than Thor making a visit.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

Oh god I just got like an hour+ into Dead Cells, hit some spikes and lo and behold the do like 1500 damage in the clock tower. I had all gold weapons too. gently caress!

Yeahhh after I lost a lot of progress after some BS like that I just quit and haven't picked it back up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Steve Yun posted:

That explains his superhuman powers. Kiryu is actually an Ultra Warrior from Nebula M78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdYE4j1JJ34

oh yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yabaiQSmgCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9sQOcO0iEo

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

beep by grandpa posted:

Bloodborne joke in 2018? Weird

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sony, why the gently caress did you apparently only turn out a single print run of universal media remotes and are now making me hunt for one online that isn't hideously overpriced?

I want to use my PS4 for streamed media without using a dualshock :colbert:.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had my TV for two years before I figured out my TV remote worked on my Playstation by default via HDMI cec or whatever. I never had to use the DS4 in the first place.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah HDMI-CEC/ARC doesn’t always work seamlessly but there’s a good chance it works with your TV remote, depending on how new your TV is. Just make sure you enable all the proper settings on your TV and PS4

Though I don’t get why people use their PS4 as a steaming box, just get a rocky/firestick/Apple TV imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because I'd have to get one of those and I already have a PS4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Because it works fine as a streaming box and I don't want to buy another piece of tech I don't need for streaming. I guess I could just use my Xbox or Switch (lol jk I cant use my switch) instead.

The only thing that sucks is that I like to watch movies with earbuds since my Sony Headset gets hot and my TV speakers suck. And I need to keep the controller on for that. Even if you don't touch the DS4 it'll fast forward if you look at it weird.

I still think the guy that designed the DS4's streaming functionality should be publicly executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The PS4 kinda sucks at it though, and those other things are like $20 each