Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It seems more like standard "This guy Deku's up against? Yeah. He's good." setup to me. Since Deku beat him already, you have to put some back into it if you're going to try to sell him as a threat again.

Probably why he’s fighting twice too. He can lose and still look good if he went over once beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the class that wins with him on their team will keep him

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My best guess is that Shinso's attitude of 'You're all obstacles for me' is going to lead to him messing up because he's not working with his team or getting overconfident. I could see him losing this round due to that and then winning the last round after learning his lesson. Or he wins this and gets a big head causing him to do the whole 'why don't I just control my entire team' thing someone mentioned.

Because anyone dissing friendship in a shonen just has to go down. :colbert:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 25, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once it's all done I want the classes to argue with each other because they all want him in their own class and Shinso goes full

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nephthys posted:

My best guess is that Shinso's attitude of 'You're all obstacles for me' is going to lead to him messing up because he's not working with his team or getting overconfident. I could see him losing this round due to that and then winning the last round after learning his lesson. Or he wins this and gets a big head causing him to do the whole 'why don't I just control my entire team' thing someone mentioned.

Because anyone dissing friendship in a shonen just has to go down. :colbert:

I feel like he'll pass round 1, lose round 2 due to Deku, but have a good showing.

EDIT: more than likely in Round 2 he won't be the one captured.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 25, 2018

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm thinking class b takes 3 wins to class a's 2, and both times shinsou is on the winning team

and monoma's power grows

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

At the moment for me round 1 is a toss-up depending on how the story goes with Shinso.

I think that 1-b is going to win round 2. Mushroom girl can probably Stun Spore them, Black is probably a direct counter to at least Aoyama and Hagakure, Kendo may just overwhelm Momo in pure melee and I'm betting Comic guy's hilariously broken. I can't see 1-a's team as being that cohesive. They also all have something to do with light (Momo's flashbangs), which Black may just counter.

They may win round 3 as well just because Todoroki getting humbled seems to be the theme these days. We don't really know enough about the capabilities of the non-Tetsutetsu 1-b guys to really call it. If anything I'd say their unknown abilities may be why they win tbh. Melty-guy may counter Todoroki's ice. I want Pony to kill at least 1 person.

I want Bakago to lose but he probably won't. Sato is useless but the combo of Sero's tapes and Jirou's sonic blasts could be very effective for takedowns and give them range which 1-b's team lacks. Conversely Weldboys quirk doesn't seem good for 1-on-1's but may be good for taking people totally out of the fight along with Glue Ghost. Lizard Boy and Girl are wildcards.

Round 5 is another toss-up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Super-duper strongly recommend watching today's episode in the anime, it's a special lead-in to the movie and it's great even if you're not planning on watching the movie itself.

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 25, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Nephthys posted:

At the moment for me round 1 is a toss-up depending on how the story goes with Shinso.

I think that 1-b is going to win round 2. Mushroom girl can probably Stun Spore them, Black is probably a direct counter to at least Aoyama and Hagakure, Kendo may just overwhelm Momo in pure melee and I'm betting Comic guy's hilariously broken. I can't see 1-a's team as being that cohesive. They also all have something to do with light (Momo's flashbangs), which Black may just counter.

They may win round 3 as well just because Todoroki getting humbled seems to be the theme these days. We don't really know enough about the capabilities of the non-Tetsutetsu 1-b guys to really call it. If anything I'd say their unknown abilities may be why they win tbh. Melty-guy may counter Todoroki's ice. I want Pony to kill at least 1 person.

I want Bakago to lose but he probably won't. Sato is useless but the combo of Sero's tapes and Jirou's sonic blasts could be very effective for takedowns and give them range which 1-b's team lacks. Conversely Weldboys quirk doesn't seem good for 1-on-1's but may be good for taking people totally out of the fight along with Glue Ghost. Lizard Boy and Girl are wildcards.

Round 5 is another toss-up.

I really hope Momo doesn't lose just by being overwhelmed in melee again after all the growth that resulted from that happening last time. She needs an actual win, and she needs to display the ability to think on her feet in a fight.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm betting that round 5 will somehow end in a draw or otherwise be called off due to some kind of crazyness, leaving the final score at 2-2.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Rhonne posted:

I'm betting that round 5 will somehow end in a draw or otherwise be called off due to some kind of crazyness, leaving the final score at 2-2.

Maybe it’ll get called off after Monoma copies OfA and his limbs explode. Humbling him as he cries in frint of both classes like a baby who had their binky stolen. Maybe even have it go dark and literally having him lose an arm permanently because his vessel is just too weak.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Rouncer posted:

Maybe it’ll get called off after Monoma copies OfA and his limbs explode. Humbling him as he cries in frint of both classes like a baby who had their binky stolen. Maybe even have it go dark and literally having him lose an arm permanently because his vessel is just too weak.

Monoma is the Endeavor of this arc.

I'm not the biggest Monoma fan but why you want his arms to explode, man?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rouncer posted:

But if Monoma loses his arms, how will he pose? The world does not deserve to be robbed of such a treasure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think it’s really likely that Deku just tries to keep the gently caress away from Monoma because of the catastrophic risk to himself and others

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After rereading the newest chapter I went on to watching Venture Bros and I think the wires finally crossed for me to think "I wonder if a Villain Guild could exist in the MHA world, bureaucracy and all."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

bacon flaps posted:

Monoma is the Endeavor of this arc.

I'm not the biggest Monoma fan but why you want his arms to explode, man?

I think we're due for Monoma to take his weird grudge against 1-A too far and either accidentally or purposely seriously injure another student. At which point he'll either turn a corner and chill out a bit, or he finally snaps and goes full psycho.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Please stop wishing ill of my goofy dumbass son

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
monoma is comic relief and will remain that way until he has to actually step up and do something other than give his classmates the heebie-jeebies

not for nothing is he squared up against a team whose most prominent face is mineta

bottom rung vs bottom rung

Mraagvpeine posted:

After rereading the newest chapter I went on to watching Venture Bros and I think the wires finally crossed for me to think "I wonder if a Villain Guild could exist in the MHA world, bureaucracy and all."

a lot of MHA's villains are essentially anarchists, but that's mostly because they've either chafed under the overwhelming threat of All Might or the overwhelming control of masterminds like All for One

the League of Villains seems too elitist to form a guild (see: Dabi crisping up lower-level villains for shits and giggles) but there might be someone else willing to step up, like Overhaul but less terrible

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 25, 2018

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Monoma is going to copy Deku's quirk and there will be exactly 1 panel of tension and Deku will be super worried and then Monoma will throw a huge punch to absolutely no effect, since he's only stockpiled 5 minutes of his own strength instead of 7 generations of it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Monoma copies Ashido's acid, only to realize that his costume isn't acid proof.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How is Monoma going to use OfA if he doesn't know the technique (squeeze your butt cheeks together and yell SMASH from your heart)?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Coffee Mugshot posted:

How is Monoma going to use OfA if he doesn't know the technique (squeeze your butt cheeks together and yell SMASH from your heart)?

Monoma has been squeezing his buttcheeks in every panel he's visible

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If Monoma copies it I want him to be able to use it flawlessly from the moment it happens, revealing that he would in fact have been the best recipient all along.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think it’s really likely that Deku just tries to keep the gently caress away from Monoma because of the catastrophic risk to himself and others

Most people don't know about Deku's new ranged attacks, right? It would be cool is the B team went in thinking they'd be fighting Deku head on, only for him to act as the team sniper.

Depending on how good his aim is, he could probably shoot off Shinso's voice modulator.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Terper posted:

If Monoma copies it I want him to be able to use it flawlessly from the moment it happens, revealing that he would in fact have been the best recipient all along.

Well, aside from the minor fact that he's kind of a dick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

Most people don't know about Deku's new ranged attacks, right? It would be cool is the B team went in thinking they'd be fighting Deku head on, only for him to act as the team sniper.

Depending on how good his aim is, he could probably shoot off Shinso's voice modulator.

They know he has a ranged attack but they have no idea he can spam it without tearing himself apart.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i want monoma's arms to explode

not because i wish ill on monoma but because i have faith that it would not impair his posing in the slightest

also because recovery girl needs new boys to kiss

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Patware posted:

i want monoma's arms to explode

not because i wish ill on monoma but because i have faith that it would not impair his posing in the slightest

also because recovery girl needs new boys to kiss

I also want to see Deku awkwardly trying to comfort Monoma while he's writhing in pain.

"Hey, hey don't worry, this used to happen to me all the time. Don't worry buddy, you eventually just to numb to the whole thing."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As hilarious as exploding Monoma would be, I think everyone thinking Deku's power being "great strength but also fucks you up so much you are basically incapacitated" would make him balk at stealing that one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

On the other hand, Monoma is totally the type of guy who would think he could use Deku's quirk better than he could.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

When Giran was talking with Shigaraki right before the Summer Camp Assault, Giran mentioned his membership with some kind of Union and that they had high hopes for Shigaraki.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I do love how Monoma started as a legit threatening rival figure but then did nothing but flail around like a buffoon until he became a gag character that not even his classmates take seriously nowadays.

Monoma is the Bakugou of Class B, is what I'm saying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monoma rules and when he copies One for All he will not break his arms and prove himself to be way better than that loser in Class A.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

On the other hand, Monoma is totally the type of guy who would think he could use Deku's quirk better than he could.

It's gonna turn out here's gifted just like All Might was, and is instantly able to use OfA to its full potential.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GimmickMan posted:

I do love how Monoma started as a legit threatening rival figure but then did nothing but flail around like a buffoon until he became a gag character that not even his classmates take seriously nowadays.

Monoma is the Bakugou of Class B, is what I'm saying.

Bakugou has a genuine friend who likes him in spite of his many faults, I'm not sure Monoma has even that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I appreciate the ongoing principal-related jokes

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

kendou is probably legit monoma's friend or she wouldn't constantly save him from himself

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think that 1-B generally likes Monoma, otherwise they wouldn't follow his plan in the Sports Festival. They probably just think his grudge is a bit weird

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I think that 1-B generally likes Monoma, otherwise they wouldn't follow his plan in the Sports Festival. They probably just think his grudge is a bit weird

monoma's pretty clever and his quirk is crazy useful if applied right, but he's also a bitter histrionic lunatic who doesn't even have bakugo's track record of limited self-improvement

his classmates probably recognize him as an asset but i get the feeling there are at least two open spaces around him at all times at the lunch table

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Monoma is only a weird jerk to 1-A, he's probably a perfectly decent person to be around most of the time.

i think that he 100% cannot approach any topic in a context other than annihilating Class 1-A after his loss in the sports festival broke his brain

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monoma is only a weird jerk to 1-A, he's probably a perfectly decent person to be around most of the time.