Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder might be married:
https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/18/wi...m_medium=social

I know it's not what defines them but I thought she was STRONGLY anti gun and he likes them enough to compete in USPSA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Are there any movies set in multiple time periods that change their filming techniques to match what was appropriate for the time period?

I recently watched The Long Goodbye and the supplementary materials talked at length about how the film in that movie was purposely overexposed to give it a more old Hollywood look.

Also, is it even possible to re-create older filming techniques, or is the combination of vintage film stock, equipment, and developing techniques make this impossible or nearly impossible?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

Are there any movies set in multiple time periods that change their filming techniques to match what was appropriate for the time period?

I recently watched The Long Goodbye and the supplementary materials talked at length about how the film in that movie was purposely overexposed to give it a more old Hollywood look.

Also, is it even possible to re-create older filming techniques, or is the combination of vintage film stock, equipment, and developing techniques make this impossible or nearly impossible?

I always wondered how Coppola’s Outsiders made the scenes of Ponyboy and Johnny at the old church look so much like classic Hollywood films. Ends up it’s filmed in a studio with whatever worked for green screens back then.

The unique look of a lot of movies or dramatic TV shows is because they’re filmed on a set instead of an actual location and the cinematographer is controlling every aspect of lighting and shadow with a single camera.

It might have been in this thread, but I think there was a Monty Python episode where they made fun of the different filming techniques for indoor and outdoor shots.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SimonCat posted:

The best example I can think of is The Aviator (simulations of various color film processes based on the time period depicted). Maybe some stuff in Bram Stoker’s Dracula too; specifically shooting a scene with an ancient hand-cranked camera that would have existed back then.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SimonCat posted:

The Grand Budapest Hotel uses different aspect ratios for the different time periods in the movie

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/06/grand_budapest_hotel_aspect_ratios_new_wes_anderson_movie_has_three_different.html

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SimonCat posted:

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters.

The parts set when Mishima is a young man are in black and white and are quite reminiscent of classic Japanese cinema while the parts set in the 70s are in grainy color and shot like a political thriller from that era.

Then there are the parts of the films based on Mishima's works which are all highly stylized and theatrical with sets that are very obviously sets and aren't really meant to look like actual locations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

SimonCat posted:

More American Graffiti, but the different time periods are just different years. One year follows a character stationed in Vietnam so it looks like something a war reporter would've shot, another year is shot/edited to look like Woodstock.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SimonCat posted:

Its not a movie but it still almost counts, and is also one of my favorite bits of dumb trivia: Star Trek Deep Space 9 had an episode celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary that involved the cast of Deep Space 9 being sent back in time to an episode of the original series from the 60's. All of televised Star Trek until either late Enterprise or Discovery was shot on film and telecine'd to video, so to make the parts that take place in the original episode match up, they actually sourced the exact same type of film stock that was used to shoot the original series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which of course my cinema screwed up completely after the first change or two, so it was constantly wrong from then on.

The non-Ashton Kutcher movie about Steve Jobs changed for each chunk of his life too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its not a movie but it still almost counts, and is also one of my favorite bits of dumb trivia: Star Trek Deep Space 9 had an episode celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary that involved the cast of Deep Space 9 being sent back in time to an episode of the original series from the 60's. All of televised Star Trek until either late Enterprise or Discovery was shot on film and telecine'd to video, so to make the parts that take place in the original episode match up, they actually sourced the exact same type of film stock that was used to shoot the original series.

Trials and Tribble-ations. It’s kind of goofy but it’s a fun episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Not quite, as Eastman 50T 5251 hadn't been made in decades. What the cinematographer did was examine the episode closely, then got together with Eastman to see which of their current stocks would best match (so basically, he was looking for a slower stock with more saturated colors and more grain), and they found one that matched up pretty well.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Arrival had a lecture hall scene.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Enemies has at least one on-point lecture from one of Gyllenhaal's characters in it, I think.

I went back to find these cause i just watched Polytechnique and it's got one too. Villeneuve apparently loves that poo poo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Didn't Universal put out a thing claiming they lost money on every single Harry Potter movie? Because after you lose a bunch of money on a film the smart thing is to make 7 more of them.

Highly unlikely. (Warner Bros did Harry Potter).

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Timby posted:

Not quite, as Eastman 50T 5251 hadn't been made in decades. What the cinematographer did was examine the episode closely, then got together with Eastman to see which of their current stocks would best match (so basically, he was looking for a slower stock with more saturated colors and more grain), and they found one that matched up pretty well.

This is the type of thing I'm looking for. Like how the Rentals shot a music video on vintage equipment for a particular look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-H6ohY37k

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

e: wrong thread

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 22, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Computer Chess was shot on vintage tube video equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoHSnJsy6Q

edit: I was gonna look up if Operation Avalanche was using vintage 16mm film, but it turns out this is digital video that's transferred to 16mm and physically dirtied up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6IPQ2lTeQ
Here's an interview on it https://blog.filmsupply.com/articles/operation-avalanche/9

Two great movies, BTW.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 22, 2018

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

More American Graffiti, but the different time periods are just different years. One year follows a character stationed in Vietnam so it looks like something a war reporter would've shot, another year is shot/edited to look like Woodstock.

I must have forgotten that a sequel even exists. Is it worth watching? The ratings are pretty low.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
idk if it was filmed using period-specific equipment but night of the hunter was filmed in the mid 50's and looks like a movie from the early 40's

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The flashback sequences in The Game are stylized as Super 8 footage. Here's what some random internet forum, pulling from an issue of American Cinematographer, says about the process they used:

quote:

The flashback sequences of "The Game" were filmed on Kodak VNF 7249 reversal film, which is a 125ASA tungsten stock.

Director David Fincher wanted a sort of overexposed look that was a bit uncontrolled in terms of contrast. He had DP Harris Savides shoot these sequences in a 'run and gun' style using Bolex cameras and then they blew up the footage to 35mm. A few scenes where the framing was critical was executed with a 16mm Panaflex fitted with a custom ground glass. They then struck multiple prints which were then bleached and left in the sun and/or scratched in different combinations. To make the flashbacks look almost like archival footage, they assembled different cuts.

For further information see September 1997 issue of American Cinematographer

15 years later in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo he sort of implies the same thing with a color filter

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The music equivalent of this is They Might Be Giants recording a song on a wax cylinder at Edison’s lab

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teenage Fansub posted:

Computer Chess was shot on vintage tube video equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoHSnJsy6Q

Two great movies, BTW.

The thing that leaps to mind immediately about Computer Chess is how much it pissed people off.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing that leaps to mind immediately about Computer Chess is how much it pissed people off.

I remember liking it a lot, but it already had a reputation at that point. Is it mostly because it's a big left turn for Bujalski?

Still the only one of his I've seen, though I'm keeping an eye out for Support the Girls

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 22, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought it was boring

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I only remember one poster particularly hating it AND Detention.

I myself think Chess is better than any new release from 2016 to now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Loved Computer Chess, could not STAND Detention.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The music equivalent of this is They Might Be Giants recording a song on a wax cylinder at Edison’s lab

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumi%E8re_and_Company

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I love Wes Anderson films and I think he's one of the more unique filmmakers working to-day.

Isle of Dogs was a naked apologetically Marxist film.

I have been drinking for hours now

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Sand Monster posted:

I must have forgotten that a sequel even exists. Is it worth watching? The ratings are pretty low.

It's been nearly a decade since I last saw it, but I enjoyed it. Not patch on the original though but it's a very different kind of movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yaws posted:

I love Wes Anderson films and I think he's one of the more unique filmmakers working to-day.

Isle of Dogs was a naked apologetically Marxist film.

I have been drinking for hours now

Hmm this is problematic. I love marxism but I don't care about dogs.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Krankenstyle posted:

Hmm this is problematic. I love marxism but I don't care about dogs.

Maybe there's a comrade meow too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

got any sevens posted:

Maybe there's a comrade meow too

i'd like that, very much

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

While I was aware of Japanese opulence in the 1980's Yakuza 0 made me want to see if there's a film depicting it in any way because while the game is good, it really isn't great about depicting aspects such as actual fashion of the time and it has a few anachronisms. It could be a contemporary piece during the era critiquing the ridiculousness of it all or just a film that happens to depict the garish opulence of the time as its backdrop, or even a modern film critiquing the bubble prone economy of the time.

Hell, is there a good documentary film about the era?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know if that's exactly what you're thinking of, but Sans Soleil from 1983 looks at the Japanese youth culture of the time, weird fashion and all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this has a bunch of clips from late 80s, also Takeshi Kitano is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QutG94BC0Dc

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 25, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blocked in the US. Shame, sounded interesting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apparently its on the Violent Cop bluray:

1989 [Violent Cop / その男、凶暴につき] BLURAY EXTRAS

try this instead:
https://vimeo.com/209296753

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yakuza 0 is basically a rip of the Battles Without Honor and Humanity movie right down to the main villain looking exactly like the main villain of that. So watch that. It’s a good movie too.

But you’re right. You could say Yakuza 0 was set in 2000 and not be able to tell a difference. It does a bad job of depicting 1980s Tokyo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there many notable examples of famous directors acting as their own cinematographers? I don't mean situations where cinematographers start directing their own movies like (the first examples that occur to me) Barry Sonnenfeld or Jan de Bont, but a director doing some or all of the cinematography on their movies.

Soderbergh photographed Traffic under a pseudonym but that's the only one I can think of.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Robert Rodriguez is the big one-man-band example.

Tarantino and Kubrick both occasionally camera operated on their films.

e: found this list of ten director/DOPs: https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/directors-dp-own-movies-cinematography-directors-of-photography/
Rob Rod, Tarantino (just on Death Proof), Soderbergh, David Lynch (for Inland Empire), Reed Morano, Nicolas Roeg (first two features), Doug Liman ( for Swingers, Go! and then Fair Game much later), Peter Hyams, Gaspar Noe (just Irreversible), and Tony Kaye.

You can really see Hymas' authorial eye on Timecop and End of Days. (I know he's made some good movies. Shh.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Robert Rodriguez is the big one-man-band example.

Tarantino and Kubrick both occasionally camera operated on their films.

e: found this list of ten director/DOPs: https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/directors-dp-own-movies-cinematography-directors-of-photography/
Rob Rod, Tarantino (just on Death Proof), Soderbergh, David Lynch (for Inland Empire), Reed Morano, Nicolas Roeg (first two features), Doug Liman ( for Swingers, Go! and then Fair Game much later), Peter Hyams, Gaspar Noe (just Irreversible), and Tony Kaye.

You can really see Hymas' authorial eye on Timecop and End of Days. (I know he's made some good movies. Shh.)

John Waters shot and edited his films himself through Female Trouble.

Kubrick was his own DP and editor on both Fear and Desire and Killer's Kiss. He operated a handheld camera for some parts of A Clockwork Orange and was allegedly the main DP for Spartacus, even though Russell Metty was credited.

Josef von Sternberg personally did the lighting on his films and was credited as DP on The Devil is a Woman

John Cassavetes usually operated the handheld camera on his independent films.