Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Judakel posted:

You are far more likely to get laid, which is the entire point of college. Don't be lame.

I didn't intend it as general advice, just advice to the specific poster for whom a theme party based on a popular show was beyond the loving pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Len posted:

Counterpoint: Rapist Nazis will dig up pictures taken at said party years later and use them to get you fired

Rapist Nazis are the Frat Bros

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Cernovich is riding high after his "ubervictory" over Gunn and franchising himself.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MEMBER

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Mike Cernovich: tell me what you know about.... the Avengers Initiative

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Interesting how literally every link on the website goes to a Paypal purchase screen

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So apparently Disney/Marvel straight up stopped Pre-Production of Guardians 3. Like told everyone getting prepped to go home and find other work.

Ha ha ha ha ha Disney hosed themselves so hard on this one and they literally cannot find a way to save face and so now they are just tabling the movie until the news cycle is such that maybe in 2-3 more social online outrages they won’t remember Gunn at all.

A stunning backflip over the shark tank.
Mike Cernovitch literally robbed joy from millions of nerds

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 25, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

robbed joy from millions of nerds

The best thing to come out of this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The best thing to come out of this.

Appeasing nazis to own the nerds

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Appeasing nazis to own the nerds

"Appeasing Nazis" would imply that the cause of Fascism was aided. In reality, the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are about criminals working to preserve the status quo, which is pretty much the definition of Fascism. Ironically enough, what Cernovich achieved was delaying the production of a Fascist movie.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

"Appeasing Nazis" would imply that the cause of Fascism was aided. In reality, the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are about criminals working to preserve the status quo, which is pretty much the definition of Fascism. Ironically enough, what Cernovich achieved was delaying the production of a Fascist movie.

lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bust Rodd posted:

So apparently Disney/Marvel straight up stopped Pre-Production of Guardians 3. Like told everyone getting prepped to go home and find other work.

Ha ha ha ha ha Disney hosed themselves so hard on this one and they literally cannot find a way to save face and so now they are just tabling the movie until the news cycle is such that maybe in 2-3 more social online outrages they won’t remember Gunn at all.

A stunning backflip over the shark tank.
Mike Cernovitch literally robbed joy from millions of nerds

Lmao.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At the very least, the alt righters handled this as poorly as possible. The targetting of the Rick and Morty guys made and others made it impossible for them to just pretend it was metoo, and the alt righters who were formally "counter culture" and "anti censorship" now look less cool than ever.

Public meetings of alt righters have been dwindling. Now that they are directly bothering nerds maybe nerds will completely stop tolerating them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

At the very least, the alt righters handled this as poorly as possible. The targetting of the Rick and Morty guys made and others made it impossible for them to just pretend it was metoo, and the alt righters who were formally "counter culture" and "anti censorship" now look less cool than ever.

Public meetings of alt righters have been dwindling. Now that they are directly bothering nerds maybe nerds will completely stop tolerating them.

Nerds are the wellspring from which the alt-right draws its membership for a reason

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I will flush my toilet 21 times in respect, goon sir

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I feel like under the circumstances, it would probably be kind of hard to get somebody to come in and fill the role left by Gunn. I couldn't imagine working with all the actors, knowing they'd most likely resent whoever took over.

Better to just scrap it. Yeah, Guardians is a money maker, but they can easily create another.

But in the end, gently caress Disney.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
hope taika says no. let the movie rot

I mean it super sucks for all the non-rich folks who were/would be working on it but

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I feel like under the circumstances, it would probably be kind of hard to get somebody to come in and fill the role left by Gunn. I couldn't imagine working with all the actors, knowing they'd most likely resent whoever took over.

Better to just scrap it. Yeah, Guardians is a money maker, but they can easily create another.

But in the end, gently caress Disney.

I'm sure all of the actors would be perfectly professional (especially Chris Pratt because he's still kinda wishy-washy and afraid to rock the boat in any major sense), but they definitely wouldn't be giving it their all. Bautista especially wouldn't be pleasant.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I wonder if they are just going to leave all the GoTG characters dead in Infinity War 2.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Reminds me of something I heard on the director commentary for Black Caesar. "What I would do is I would ask an actor to lie down on the ground and I'd just get a quick shot of them lying facedown. Then any time an actor gave me trouble I'd say, 'I already got footage of you dead. Now I can kill you off anytime I want!'"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
with cgi you don't even need that photo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I hope someone adopts,and sufficiently waters the tree.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000
Mike Cernovich raped Disney and got away with it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
VERY scary to imagine the moral integrity of the disney corporation being compromised

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Nobody tell BravestOfTheLamps we've had antihero films since literally the 19th century. Starting to wonder if he can't finish without finding something pedantic and meaningless to moan about.

Also, wtg Disney for supremely loving yourself out of a nice fat paycheck because a Nazi rapist whispered something you already knew in your ear.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000
Didn’t someone predict that Disney was probably going to shelf GotG3 until that one old guy, Alan Horn, who caused this whole stink gets the boot in December?

And then just rehire James Gunn?

I hope this is what is happening. Because I want another Gunn directed GotG.

Also this is one hell of a stupid hill to die on for Alan Horn. This fiasco pretty much eclipses any good decisions he EVER accidentally made in his lifetime career in Hollywood. No matter what happens there’s going to be a footnote in his obit and on his tombstone that he is the sole person responsible for losing/nearly losing a billion dollars plus plus plus for the company he was second in command of and putting the future direction of billions and billions more and the future of the continued success of the MCU in danger because he sided with a handful of Nazi rapist terrorists over pretty much EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET.

(Slow clap)

You know if Iger gave a poo poo about his legacy as well he would have stepped up and fixed this poo poo way earlier before it turned into this staggeringly expensive shitshow because By doing nothing he actively endorsed Nazi rapists over global opinion and profit. By doing jack poo poo he’s just as responsible as Horn and Cernovich.

Disney stockholders should be breaking out the torches and pitchforks. I think the only reason they aren’t is because of the FOX merger.

melbatoastXXX fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 27, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

melbatoastXXX posted:

Didn’t someone predict that Disney was probably going to shelf GotG3 until that one old guy, Alan Horn, who caused this whole stink gets the boot in December?

And then just rehire James Gunn?

I hope this is what is happening. Because I want another Gunn directed GotG.

I think if that was the plan someone would have gotten word to Gunn and he wouldnt have taken that bullshit "we're not rehiring you" meeting. Plus theres the issue of why would he even come back at this point? How much poo poo do you have to eat before you just say gently caress it and move on?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When your creative drive to finish something dries up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

melbatoastXXX posted:

Also this is one hell of a stupid hill to die on for Alan Horn. This fiasco pretty much eclipses any good decisions he EVER accidentally made in his lifetime career in Hollywood. No matter what happens there’s going to be a footnote in his obit and on his tombstone that he is the sole person responsible for losing/nearly losing a billion dollars plus plus plus for the company he was second in command of and putting the future direction of billions and billions more and the future of the continued success of the MCU in danger because he sided with a handful of Nazi rapist terrorists over pretty much EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET.

(Slow clap)

So acceptable public discourse is ultimately a question of profit.

ricdesi posted:

Nobody tell BravestOfTheLamps we've had antihero films since literally the 19th century.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. The GotG movies are terrible, artistically and morally, which makes it natural that the fans want Gunn's terrible tweets to be forgiven by Disney so that he can direct more terrible movies for them.

"Antihero films" is a rather nonsense category, like "protagonist books". GotG is about pandering to manchild fantasy and sentimentality, which is why Gunn has such a loyal fanbase to demand his reinstatement.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 27, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, sentimentality? What a monster, we should put his head on a pike. Thank the white Aryan god that we had a dapper young nazi to warn us of this degenerate artist so he could be blacklisted.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, sentimentality? What a monster, we should put his head on a pike.

Manchild sentimentality, specifically.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Manchild sentimentality, specifically.

Murder him and his entire bloodline. Nuke his hometown. Erase him from the history books.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Murder him and his entire bloodline. Nuke his hometown. Erase him from the history books.

Bit excessive, in my opinion. I'm not sure why criticism of movies is equated with censorship and oppression?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I don't know anything about Alan Horn but this whole ordeal makes him out to be some sort of Mr Bean like figure of bufoonery in which to avoid stepping in dogshit he instead gets his foot stuck in a bucket, steps on a rake, pulls down a clothesline and sets a building on fire.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

The GotG movies are terrible, artistically and morally

Subjective opinion stated as fact.

which makes it natural that the fans want Gunn's terrible tweets to be forgiven by Disney so that he can direct more terrible movies for them.

Audiences like watching poo poo blow up and people being funny doing it. So what.

GotG is about pandering to manchild fantasy and sentimentality

You've just described about 50% of all fiction, you navel-gazing über-dork.

which is why Gunn has such a loyal fanbase to demand his reinstatement.

People want his reinstatement because they like his interpretation of the characters, and because he was fired under dubious circumstances.

I'm not sure why criticism of movies is equated with censorship and oppression?

Except you're not criticizing movies. You haven't actually criticized anything here.

You're bitching about movies you don't like being popular, as usual, and desperately trying to frame it as some moral issue because you know just as well as the rest of us that bitching about movies you don't like being popular is a weak-rear end, indefensible stance to take.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Don't reply to BOTL.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, that was all I planned on replying to/with. He got sad during his month-long probation and PM'ed me, figured I should get it out of my system.

I will say, it's been good to see the pretty much universal support of his cast and crew thus far, and from several different parts of the industry overall. I'm not expecting Disney to balk because, well, Disney. But if there's even a 1% chance of this turning back around, I'm willing to hold out just a little bit of hope for it.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 27, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ricdesi posted:

Subjective opinion stated as fact.

Audiences like watching poo poo blow up and people being funny doing it. So what.

You've just described about 50% of all fiction, you navel-gazing über-dork.

People want his reinstatement because they like his interpretation of the characters, and because he was fired under dubious circumstances.

Except you're not criticizing movies. You haven't actually criticized anything here.

You're bitching about movies you don't like being popular, as usual, and desperately trying to frame it as some moral issue because you know just as well as the rest of us that bitching about movies you don't like being popular is a weak-rear end, indefensible stance to take.

Why the hell would you format a post like this? You're making no coherent point because of how you've chopped up your post. Like, you have nonsense here in the vein of "50% of all fiction is pandering to manchildren (?) and therefore the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise is not morally bankrupt (??)" .

The closest thing to an argument here is that you're defending broadly "liking things" and fandom. Disney fired Gunn under "dubious circumstances" despite him being popular. You're arguing that Disney's crime is betraying fan loyalty, and they should rectify this by rehiring Gunn to honour those fans.

So it's like with melbatoastXXX: the question of acceptable public discourse is subordinate to profit or, in your case, fandom.

Also, when are you going to post those random screenshots of Man of Steel?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 27, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm not sure why criticism of movies is equated with censorship and oppression?

You know why.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So acceptable public discourse is ultimately a question of profit.

Yes. Its not like that is a controversial opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't reply to BOTL.
I guess I don’t browse enough CineD threads these days, is he like “Diet SuperMechaGodzilla - all of the pretension, none of the insight”?

• Locked thread