Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Andromeda Krogan look like frogs instead of big stony skinned dinosaur men. All Asari have been inbreeding for 600 years to have the same face. All the wrinkles, ridges and textures on all the species have been another over and they look like poo poo.

Frostbite is an awful game engine for anything other than FPS shooters, and EA wants to use it for all of their games ever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inquisition looked perfectly fine in Frostbite and still looks good today for a 2014 game. Andromeda was just slapped together by supremely untalented people who didn't know how to utilize the engine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think the fact the game was apparently scrapped and rebuilt several times with the final game being developed in 18 months probably has a lot to do with it too.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mokinokaro posted:

I think the fact the game was apparently scrapped and rebuilt several times with the final game being developed in 18 months probably has a lot to do with it too.

I would say "Just delay the loving game, you have a built-in audience!" but I think, based on the writing alone, that it wouldn't have done any good. Even if they made it so the engine hummed and there were little to no animation bugs, the writing in the game (and the fact that the 'decisions' and 'dialog options' you take amount to nothing) is so bad, and the quest design so lovely, that it was destined to never rise above the level of mediocrity.

In the end, the reapers won. The cycle continues.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moola posted:

yeah its almost like the whole plot is badly written

The "main plot" was the worst part of ME2 as well.

The introduction of ME3 was bad, then the "putting the band back together again" part ranges from solid to excellent and only gives you false hope for when the plot starts to unravel on Thessia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ashpanash posted:

I would say "Just delay the loving game, you have a built-in audience!" but I think, based on the writing alone, that it wouldn't have done any good. Even if they made it so the engine hummed and there were little to no animation bugs, the writing in the game (and the fact that the 'decisions' and 'dialog options' you take amount to nothing) is so bad, and the quest design so lovely, that it was destined to never rise above the level of mediocrity.

In the end, the reapers won. The cycle continues.

Wouldn't change a thing. They burned a lot of money to get three years in the hole with nothing to show for it, and sent in Mac Walters just to try and turn out literally anything that wasn't their unfinished trainwreck of a dynamic planet system. This is entirely the game Mac Walters wanted to make and the story he wanted to tell.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Andromeda Krogan look like frogs instead of big stony skinned dinosaur men. All Asari have been inbreeding for 600 years to have the same face. All the wrinkles, ridges and textures on all the species have been another over and they look like poo poo.

Frostbite is an awful game engine for anything other than FPS shooters, and EA wants to use it for all of their games ever now.

It's not an entirely-insane idea to want to standardize your engine among your studios, except the engine needs to actually have classes built for literally anything other than FPS shooters for that to work.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes I remember that all the Quarians are canonically dead thanks to catastrophic badgame failure, and I smile.

Weren't they going to release a book that said what happened? Or did they cancel that at some point?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Similarly, the need for speed games all run on frostbite now and, while those games are bad, their problems have nothing to do with the engine or the driving

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ekusukariba posted:

Weren't they going to release a book that said what happened? Or did they cancel that at some point?

Yeah, it was basically "well sorry fans, but the game was a flop so there's no dlc, but don't worry, we'll release a book that tells the story." " What? That's stupid, also wasn't your last book the worst thing ever?" "Fine, now you get nothing."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Note: the quarians died on the escape from their home planet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only Andromeda book they released was "Dear diary: My time as an ASARI COMMANDO TM"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Nah there was the one about all the Nexus bullshit that (intentionally?) made one of the games shittiest antagonist characters (Sloane) the only likeable and relatable character in the book.

To their credit the idea of getting real writers did somewhat work because it was far more well-written than any of the pre-Andromeda books, not that that's an extremely high bar to clear.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only Andromeda book they released was "Dear diary: My time as an ASARI COMMANDO TM"

God dammit now I'm seeing "Diary of a Wimpy Asari".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Nah there was the one about all the Nexus bullshit that (intentionally?) made one of the games shittiest antagonist characters (Sloane) the only likeable and relatable character in the book.

Genuinely don’t remember a Sloane

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

Genuinely don’t remember a Sloane

Maybe I got the name wrong or something but she's the lady warlord in the scene with the slowest clumsiest disarm.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Maybe I got the name wrong or something but she's the lady warlord in the scene with the slowest clumsiest disarm.

I’m sure you got the name right, I just don’t remember the characters of this unremarkable game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Do Asari actually use genetic material when reproducing? The explanation in the Codex... didn't make that clear, I think.

It would account for why they all have the same face...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Do Asari actually use genetic material when reproducing? The explanation in the Codex... didn't make that clear, I think.

My understanding is that they use their psychic connection to basically run an XOR against parts of their kids genetic code with SOMETHING from the father. I'm not sure if their actual genes are involved (probably not because they can and have bred with turians and quarians)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

no-one's ever seen a pregnant asari, who says they;re not made in protein vats?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ekusukariba posted:

They announced one last year that was supposed to release this past June but didn't. The plot summary was that somebody sabotaged the ark and the D list aliens get owned by a disease that can spread across species.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Asari have genitalia. BioWare made sure to lovingly craft their tits and vag for the banshee husks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Of course, reddit would be the source for that particular point of information. :barf:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, their tits are real obvious unless you just never look at a Banshee. They've got big ole techno nipples.

the vagina though, yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus anyone who wears a re-skin of Miranda's catsuit has a built in cameltoe

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

why in the hell does a robot have a cameltoe? Bioware, that's why.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It distracts organic enemies for advantage in combat

I’m bullshitting but I bet that’s a codex entry or something

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

It distracts organic enemies for advantage in combat

I’m bullshitting but I bet that’s a codex entry or something

I'm just imagining codex guy reading a deadpan entry about battle cameltoe (battletoe?) and just cackling.

BTW the Discovery tour thing in the latest AC game has codex entries read by the ME codex guy and it's loving great. There's a lady that reads some entries too but she's also good.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

why in the hell does a robot have a cameltoe? Bioware, that's why.

In-universe, the robot was originally a spy so it makes sense they’d be anatomically correct for the honeypot aspect, also apparently all spacesuits are vacuum-sealed

Out of context it’s gross and unnecessary and probably pandering to the pervert base or something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah yes, the character background that goes right against three games of established lore for Human biotics because Mac Walters evidently just had to have his weeablue Commando character.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Ok so I looked into it some more, and apparently the Quarian Ark book is still coming it just got delayed like a year and is out in November

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Avalerion posted:

The aliens in 3 don't refuse to help earth because "favorism" but because their own systems are under attack too, it's actually the humans demand for them to drop everything and go save earth that's unreasonable - and only becomes justified when the reapers move the citadel there for... reasons? in the last act.

Also Shepard convinces the other races to come to earth by going to their planets and defeating the reapers with a 3 man squad armed with rifles.

The games become more ridiculous as you go because the threats become increasingly unable to be defeated by shooting a gun at it and so the game needs to invent reasons why you can defeat them by shooting a gun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And yet somehow they didn’t make the way to blow up the reapers be to board their ships and shoot poo poo.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dr. Stab posted:

Also Shepard convinces the other races to come to earth by going to their planets and defeating the reapers with a 3 man squad armed with rifles.

The games become more ridiculous as you go because the threats become increasingly unable to be defeated by shooting a gun at it and so the game needs to invent reasons why you can defeat them by shooting a gun.

Yeah it should have at least included Shepard and crew entering a Reaper and planting a bomb or something. Bonus points to the writers if they included the dialogue from Armageddon about fire crackers and open hands in it too.

The most frustrating thing about the game was that in ME1 there's a bit of fluff in the codex about how powerful mass accelerators can be but by the 3rd game they seemingly forgot about it. The moons around each home planet should have included just stupid huge defensive structures built in secret because each species didn't fully trust the others, or something to that effect. Like the Turians wouldn't have giant guns in the shape of moons after what the Krogan did? Come on, BioWare.

The population levels were also kind of weird to me. The home planets being the most populous makes sense, but the Turians, Salarians, and Asari had like 1500 years to populate other planets to the same level and industrial capacity. Maybe the Rachni Wars and Krogan Rebellions did that much damage to them, but then I'd expect to see some sort of indication about how big the Council population used to be.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

i like the part in the final mission where you just shoot one with a nuke and it works i guess, whatever

i suppose that wasn't a full-sized reaper but still

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ainsley McTree posted:

i like the part in the final mission where you just shoot one with a nuke and it works i guess, whatever

i suppose that wasn't a full-sized reaper but still

you would think having widespread Thanix cannons out there would do some good too

come to think of it the funniest thing in ME3 is when they take the concept of "superheated stream of plasma shooting out of a gun" and make it into a missile

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Did the same writers who produced the dialogue also do the codex? Because it seems like "no."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

In games that don't suck news

CD Projekt Red released a 48 minute alpha walkthrough of a mission in Cyberpunk 2077

I really want this game so loving much it is unreal right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF9GgrY9c0

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

What food would augmented people eat

Just asking for a friend

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ram chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was thinking about the guns in ME and I feel they are a perfect capsule of the downward trend in ME writing and world building. ME originally introduced a lot of post-scarcity concepts (and their problems) in a lot of ways that was interesting but got hosed up and forgotten later. Guns weren't limited by energy or mass but by thermodynamics because it shaved off a lil bit of mass and supercharged it to cause a lot of damage, thus making guns far more reliable and independent than real life while having a neat sci-fi concept behind it that really accentuates just how advanced technology had become. It was a weird and cool concept! It's not about how many bullets or how big of bullets but really about how efficiently the gun can build up and dissipate heat from having a mini particle accelerator in there. Then they just introduced "thermal clips" which solved the overheat "problem". It wasn't a problem, it was cool sci-fi poo poo!