Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

neogeo0823 posted:

Pretty definitely not, I'd say. Isaac was hoping for a tiny spark, and post-shot, storm god jacked up the power as high as he could. Isaac had no way of controlling that.

I was thinking about the incident which got Dmitri hurt. Storm God pretty clearly stepped in there, but I'm thinking part of that is Isaac no longer being willing to call upon his full power.

In my fanfiction Isaac used to more or less follow Storm God's "your wrath is righteous" way of thinking until Dmitri's accident. But yeah, no real proof besides me wanting Doorman to be genuine about helping Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hopefully overhearing this will prompt Isabella to admit to Isaac why he's treated differently

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That’s clearly for three years later at the end of the next chapter after Eightfold returns to fix everything

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-294

Huh, actual character development, nice.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
isabel looks exhausted from having all this character development happen in one day

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

A Leader who isn't a Boss? What is she, some sort of Friend Leader?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
85% of the people in this thread had a visceral brainfeel upon reading that post

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

HEARTWARMING

i love it

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
next page: 'wait who made you leader?'

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RandallODim posted:

next page: 'wait who made you leader?'

Yeah I can’t imagine Ed will give up the position easily.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I’m so proud of Isabel. She’s doing exactly what I was beginning to suspect wouldn’t happen.

She should be Spender’s boss.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i get the feeling she will be or have been by the time the story wraps up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Adorable!

But I have a feeling they're going to end up giving stormy critical information. Also not their fault because Spender's not up-front about concerns and reasons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tuxedo Ted posted:

A Leader who isn't a Boss? What is she, some sort of Friend Leader?
A palhoncho, you might say.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I really like that:

A) The main character isn't the team leader

and

B) The actual leader is good at doing leader stuff and isn't just warming the bench for Max's inevitable rise to power.

It's a refreshing break from how a lot of these kinds of stories usually go.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

PMush Perfect posted:

A palhoncho, you might say.

pal honcho

poncho

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xinder posted:

I’m so proud of Isabel. She’s doing exactly what I was beginning to suspect wouldn’t happen.

She should be Spender’s boss.

So you're saying that she should be a leader... And a boss? Some sort of Leader Boss?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Maybe more of a chief or employer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
very sad that issac has left the activity consortium

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Isabel's comment about Isaac and her being more alike than not has me recalling a page from earlier in this chapter.

"No one else gets angry like I do. [...] But I get mad and it buzzes in my head for hours and days and weeks."

Isabel has been pretty peeved all day long about her book, her grandpa, Ed, and Mr. Spender. Helping Isaac is not only a character growth moment for her, it's also a way of lashing back at Spender -- and recall that this conversation is coming only one class period after Isabel stormed away from post-Hijack Spender. Isabel's been chewing on an injustice all day long, just like Isaac.

Also, today Isaac finally gets an answer to an implied question. The Consortium is also very probably not acting in the interest of the Princess/Doorman/Forge faction. What do you want to bet Isaac lets something slip to Doorman about the Consortium and it ends up being an useful piece of information for these spirits, maybe even useful enough to thwart the Activity Club or the Consortium?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also, today Isaac finally gets an answer to an implied question. The Consortium is also very probably not acting in the interest of the Princess/Doorman/Forge faction. What do you want to bet Isaac lets something slip to Doorman about the Consortium and it ends up being an useful piece of information for these spirits, maybe even useful enough to thwart the Activity Club or the Consortium?

The idea that Isaac would be the one to break the secret rather than his passenger is one I hadn't thought of before. Not sure how much he knows that would be useful yet - possibly that they're organising within dreams - but since Boss Leader insists he know nothing about it there's probably good reason for it.

Incidentally looking up that page reminds me - I don't think Max has told anyone he's already been inducted into the Consortium, has he? The fact Isabel specifies Spender works for it implies to me that isn't normal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

One last thought: Isaac's apology today shows he's taken Max's words to heart: "this isn't a trade, it's a real apology."

edit: Also, the actual content of Isaac's apology from Tuesday is a response to Isabel's accusations.

Tenebrais posted:

The idea that Isaac would be the one to break the secret rather than his passenger is one I hadn't thought of before. Not sure how much he knows that would be useful yet - possibly that they're organising within dreams - but since Boss Leader insists he know nothing about it there's probably good reason for it.

With everyone focused on the potential damage Isaac's spirit could do if it knew stuff, it would be quite the blow (and also a dramatic twist) to find out after all that it was Isaac who everyone should have been careful around because of who he was hanging out with. It would also be a shock to Isaac to realize that he screwed things up (again).

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 24, 2018

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Great page. Also, Richard Spenders continuous failure lead to this.
Good for you Isabel.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh, no, there is a 0% chance Issac learning about the Consortium doesn't blow up in the Activity Club's face. Even if Storm Dog already knows about them (and he probably does) there's no way Issac doesn't blab to somebody who won't escalate poo poo the moment they learn the Consortium's working with the Strongest Spectral.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh, no, there is a 0% chance Issac learning about the Consortium doesn't blow up in the Activity Club's face. Even if Storm Dog already knows about them (and he probably does) there's no way Issac doesn't blab to somebody who won't escalate poo poo the moment they learn the Consortium's working with the Strongest Spectral.

Doorman will be making a dramatic call to his angel with that silly phone within 24 hours about this, i'm sure

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

This leads to the conclusive 24 hours of the story, which will take place over the next decade.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

rannum posted:

Doorman will be making a dramatic call to his angel with that silly phone within 24 hours about this, i'm sure

That angel has me more worried than the God fragment inside Spender's mind and Max's dark passenger, come on, no one speaks in rainbows without something being up.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 25, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

isasphere posted:

That angel has me more worried than the God fragment inside Spender's mind and Max's dark passenger, come on, no one speaks in rainbows without something being up.

Patchworm speaks in rainbows, albeit with a black background to them.

(This is because Patchworm is the angel in disguise.)

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
This page made me feel so happy, Isabel's such a good kid :3:

readingatwork posted:

I really like that:

A) The main character isn't the team leader

and

B) The actual leader is good at doing leader stuff and isn't just warming the bench for Max's inevitable rise to power.

It's a refreshing break from how a lot of these kinds of stories usually go.
So much YA fiction has "leadership" thrown in as an afterthought in a way that feels like their authors have never competently lead a team. I love that Paranatural isn't interested in having Max serve as a wish-fulfillment vehicle, it gives the secondary characters way more breathing room.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Uh of course Isabel is the leader she's got the red aura

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What happens when you're possessed by a spirit that takes over control of your body? You don't remember anything that happened.

Where else have we seen this before?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont know enough about power rangers to know if max is on type for black

SKULL.GIF posted:

What happens when you're possessed by a spirit that takes over control of your body? You don't remember anything that happened.

Where else have we seen this before?

huh. so hes possessed by a spirit who deliberately attempted to direct him to the bat (didnt he end up there later on blind luck?)

e: im not into sportsballs but i like football appreciation club's style

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 25, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tools draw compatible spectrals to them. So max was probably a combo of confused, not paying attention, lost in thought, and being drawn to the bat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im p sure he was heading for the activity club door for whatever reason and suddenly found himself in front of a different one

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if metal wormy is actually metal mommy

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean we already knew Max was possessed after the incident with the Doorman, this just indicates it happened before he got the bat.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It's explicitly said scrapdragon's a grudge. I guess the question is, then, can ghosts become grudges too or is that exclusively the realm of spirits?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Huh? Spirits can possess people and the grudge state carries over when a spirit is killed (Ghost Train)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Could someone remind me of how the grudge/spirit system works, or link to a page that explains it? It's been a long time and I don't really remember even how the spirit-energy-as-knit-wool -explanation worked. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

T-man posted:

what if metal wormy is actually metal mommy

Didn't his weld scrap together as art? Hmmm