Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve been able to “hunt and peck” faster and more accurately than anyone I’ve met using those dumb swipe keyboards, so lol. I don’t even look at the keyboard anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My typing is so atrocious and has gotten so much worse thanks to how well autocorrect works. Half of my google searches probably looks like I'm having a seizure when I typed it but thanks to ~machine learning~ or whatever Google knows what I meant :v:.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm sorry, I know this comes up a lot, but can o get a rundown on password managers? We use lastpass at work and I like it. My parents really struggle with passwords too and I like the idea of a family plan where I can help them if they forget stuff which happens often.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm sorry, I know this comes up a lot, but can o get a rundown on password managers? We use lastpass at work and I like it. My parents really struggle with passwords too and I like the idea of a family plan where I can help them if they forget stuff which happens often.

1Password Family Account

On iOS or macOS this is the one to use. It’s also got chrome and Firefox extensions now that work great.

Downside is it’s a managed service (read: subscription) and cloud based so you may or may not like that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Boris Galerkin posted:

1Password Family Account

On iOS or macOS this is the one to use. It’s also got chrome and Firefox extensions now that work great.

Downside is it’s a managed service (read: subscription) and cloud based so you may or may not like that.

I don't care about monthly or managed. It's the one I was looking at and apparently it's going to interstate tightly with iOS12. Apparently I can import from iCloud Keychain too on a Mac.

Anything to get my drat parents to stop asking me for passwords.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Does anyone have a habit tracking app they like? Preferably one that has some kind of custom rewards system. (I have been using Habitica and, while I like the idea of it, their app is awful)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I know I could just use a to do list to do this, but does an app exist you can put in a bunch of movies and TV shows and then mark as you've watched them?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I know I could just use a to do list to do this, but does an app exist you can put in a bunch of movies and TV shows and then mark as you've watched them?

It’s only for movies I think, but Letterboxd may do some of what you need at least.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Mike Danger posted:

Does anyone have a habit tracking app they like? Preferably one that has some kind of custom rewards system. (I have been using Habitica and, while I like the idea of it, their app is awful)

I don’t know of any with a custom rewards system, but Daily Habits is probably my favorite of the ones I’ve tried.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Vince MechMahon posted:

I use Letterboxd for movies and the Trakt service with Television Time.

Although if you want them all in one place Trakt will do movies too and there's a Movie Time app by the same people

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a good call screening app that doesn’t need access to my contacts to use? Getting a lot of random robo calls these days and want to block them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Is there a good call screening app that doesn’t need access to my contacts to use? Getting a lot of random robo calls these days and want to block them.

I use Hiya. While they strongly recommend contacts access for things like whitelisting, it's not required. If you do share contacts access, they are kept local.

quote:

Q: Is giving you access to my contact list necessary?

A: For the core functionality of the app (spam ID, spam blocking, and caller ID), you do not need to grant us access to your contacts. But it if you want the full functionality of the app, you might consider it. We use it for the smart dialer, to autocomplete suggestions, to whitelist spam, for sharing between contacts and for the “adding to block list” functionality. You don’t have to grant us contacts permission, but the app will have more bells and whistles if you do.

https://hiya.com/blog/2017/06/23/hiya-faq-common-questions-ios/
https://hiya.com/privacy

It works pretty well. They have a "near neighbor" feature that will block calls that match the first few digits of your own number which is the bulk of my spam these days.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

I'm using the fairly new Malwarebytes iOS app. It includes "web protection," which I assume is grandpa speak for malware filtering in Safari, and has an ad blocker built in. I picked it because I trust Malwarebytes more with my privacy than I do the random call blocking apps that exist. It misses some, but it also catches a bunch. $1/mo or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What are people using for push notifications now? Looks like the pushullet app hasn’t been updated in a year. Looking for chrome/windows to iOS pushes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I use Pushover, but I don't know how it works for what you want to do. I use it for Kodi notifications.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FCKGW posted:

It works pretty well. They have a "near neighbor" feature that will block calls that match the first few digits of your own number which is the bulk of my spam these days.

That only half works for me, but I'm an odd case where I moved, kept my old number, but have a local Google Voice number forwarding to my phone. So I can only block the calls based on one of the two numbers. It'd be nice if they had an option for multiple numbers on one phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I feel left out, what's the use case for a push notification manager? If there's some super cool uses I want in, but can't wrap my head around it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I feel left out, what's the use case for a push notification manager? If there's some super cool uses I want in, but can't wrap my head around it.

Passing a url or some random text from one device to the other. If you have a mac desktop handoff works, but lots of people have non mac desktops.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

My home NAS tells me if it finds any RAID problems, there are any software updates needing install, and if the power goes out and it's running on battery backup.

e: using Pushover, triggered by email.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 29, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pushbullet used to be AMAZING, Android + MacOS + Pushbullet felt like magic.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

Passing a url or some random text from one device to the other. If you have a mac desktop handoff works, but lots of people have non mac desktops.

Yeah its this. Passing chrome tab / url / text to my phone from my laptops. I run Windows so yeah Mac OS doesn't apply in my case. Might try Pushover again, I think I bought the app way back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kri kri posted:

Yeah its this. Passing chrome tab / url / text to my phone from my laptops. I run Windows so yeah Mac OS doesn't apply in my case. Might try Pushover again, I think I bought the app way back.

Windows 10 has a link feature, but it's secretly a mission to get you to use Edge:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4053443/windows-10-linking-your-phone-pc-help

But it does work quite nicely. :shrug:

Not sure how many microsoft apps make use of it, as I've never really dug into it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Firefox has that built in for all their apps. It's very useful!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Heres what I’d like to do, and am wondering if there’s a more elegant way of doing it than the one I’ve found.

Let’s say I’m driving around and want to add a note about something and have it saved along with the current location. Bonus if I can see the note locations on a map later.

I found I can sort of do this by opening Maps, long pressing my current location icon, choosing share, then “add to Notes” then typing in the text note. But that makes the note a pretty ugly mess after more than a couple entries.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Heres what I’d like to do, and am wondering if there’s a more elegant way of doing it than the one I’ve found.

Let’s say I’m driving around and want to add a note about something and have it saved along with the current location. Bonus if I can see the note locations on a map later.

I found I can sort of do this by opening Maps, long pressing my current location icon, choosing share, then “add to Notes” then typing in the text note. But that makes the note a pretty ugly mess after more than a couple entries.

Evernote records notes by location.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for that, but from what I can tell Evernote's not much more convenient. Apparently you need a separate note for each location, and no way (on iOS) to show all your notes on one map.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm actually looking for something similar, an app that just lets me save points on my phone and makes it easy to navigate back to them. I'm trying to mark productive fishing spots on lakes. I have the app "mark my fish" but the zooming behaviour is touchy and I'd also really like to get some kind of compass behaviour included to make it easier to navigate back to the spot. Also would be cool if it told me how far away I was since there are no real landmarks to judge by in the middle of a lake unless I zoom out really far. Does such a thing exist?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The app called Drafts can automatically mark locations where the note was created and the location where it was last edited. Free version is good enough (subscription is for if you want to add custom scripts or "actions" to your notes). But you'd need to make a new note for each location and I don't think there's a way to look at a map and see where you have notes.

Locationnote came up when I searched for "location based notes" so maybe that works for you?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
See that’s the thing, there are tons of ways to set location-based reminders, but apparently not a single list of notes. Apparently a real edge case. Oh well.

Also in edge case news, it was surprisingly difficult to find a way to display the current relative humidity on an Apple Watch except for paying the $6-9 for Carrot Weather and its subscription service.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What's the current go-to replacement for Fuelly? I've avoided switching since I have years of service logs in there, but there are only so many major bugs and terrible UIs a man can stand.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Road Trip has been working pretty well for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Depressing Box posted:

Road Trip has been working pretty well for me.

2nding this one, I like it quite a bit.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s a good expense tracker/budget app that doesn’t require a subscription?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mint?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Anybody having trouble with tubextreme? Would appreciate recommends for any other apps that let me watch youtube without ads.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Asking me for a valid zip code and phone number but doesn’t look like I can do it living abroad.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

hadji murad posted:

Asking me for a valid zip code and phone number but doesn’t look like I can do it living abroad.

Don’t be bothered. Even after some huge number of minor and a recent major version bump, it’s still the slowest, clunkiest app on my phone. The extreme slowness began around the same time they started adding in more advertising, and it has only gotten worse. By slow I mean, 9 seconds from clicking the app to getting a TouchID prompt, on a 6s+. It’s awful.

Edit: 3 minutes and counting to load updated information on a subset of my accounts, and I had to force close and reopen the app to have it even display the updated info.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 13, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

Don’t be bothered. Even after some huge number of minor and a recent major version bump, it’s still the slowest, clunkiest app on my phone. The extreme slowness began around the same time they started adding in more advertising, and it has only gotten worse. By slow I mean, 9 seconds from clicking the app to getting a TouchID prompt, on a 6s+. It’s awful.

Edit: 3 minutes and counting to load updated information on a subset of my accounts, and I had to force close and reopen the app to have it even display the updated info.

That’s a real shame. I stopped using Mint when the API to one of my banks broke for months. I was already using YNAB anyway so it wasn’t a huge shift. But now YNAB is subscription-based as well so I thought mint might do it. :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hadji murad posted:

What’s a good expense tracker/budget app that doesn’t require a subscription?

Any of these ones probably

https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favorite-app-managing-personal-finances-budgets/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I know this is the apps thread, but the Mint website works really well still.

For the price I pay for the service, I don’t mind the “ads” which are credit recommendations. I use the app to categorize the purchases into my weird budget, so I sync the accounts from the site every so couple days, then use my phone to categorize while I waste time on my phone on conference calls.