Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApeHawk posted:

Oh no!

Who could've seen this obvious twist?!

:geno:
I was shocked, shocked I say, when I found out Detective Boy wasn't legit.

I was actually thinking that Akechi being the culprit was way too obvious, then the convenient memory blackouts centered around him started and that was that.

E: update last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Guys

I'm starting to think Akechi might be the traitor

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Man this is a really convincing triple-cross

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Arist posted:

Also how could he have put it on that fast, for real

Ace Detective!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goro's pissed he wasn't invited to the opening music video.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

hwat a tweest

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The update before had very specific wording that made it pretty clear Akechi wasn't on the up-and-up.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I knew we couldn't trust Light Yagami.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

We never saw it coming

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Not-So-Pleasant Boy

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I can't believe Mark Hamill is dead

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

That's not funny. That's not...

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Huh, I get why the camera wouldn't be usable as evidence of Maaku's innocence because the police control it. But you'd think they'd care about golden boy murderizing their fellow cop. Or maybe they were saying that the camera doesn't record at all?

Or I guess Akechi meant to totally blow his cover, but that doesn't fit with the story he gave Sae.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Qrr posted:

Huh, I get why the camera wouldn't be usable as evidence of Maaku's innocence because the police control it. But you'd think they'd care about golden boy murderizing their fellow cop. Or maybe they were saying that the camera doesn't record at all?

Or I guess Akechi meant to totally blow his cover, but that doesn't fit with the story he gave Sae.

Probably trying to set it up as a murder suicide as to why the main suspect in a high profile case quickly came down with the deads.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Probably trying to set it up as a murder suicide as to why the main suspect in a high profile case quickly came down with the deads.

Yeah, "shot while trying to escape" probably wouldn't fly here.

Also, lol Pancake Boi.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So like, ignoring Maaku getting shot, how would we even confront Akechi? Morganna made it pretty clear that Persona users can't have palaces, so we'd kinda just have to hope he doesn't completely avoid the Metaverse if we wanna give the snitch stitches.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Boy is Morgana gonna feel weird when it turns out his elaborate betrayal, naming of names, and cushy plea deal that includes witness protection was ultimately worthless.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Is this a non US version of the game or are you editing the dialogue thoroughly, cause I'm starting to have doubts about my assumptions.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Funky Valentine posted:

That's not funny. That's not...

:perfect:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Arist posted:

Huh. That does seem to be what's supposed to be happening, but it's not clear at all and there's only one actual model for the gun (with the silencer).

Also how could he have put it on that fast, for real

It's pretty clear(to me at least) in the first gif that's what he's doing. Maybe the silencer is one of those temporary ones that aren't meant for repeated use.

Also, the fact that he put it on that fast means he had practice which further proves that Akechi is not a pleasant boy. :ohdear:

The game did a pretty poo poo job covering this plot twist, unlike P4's which kinda came out of nowhere.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, P4's is a more genuine twist (some of the person's dialogue and actions are more suspicious on a second play through), P3 really comes out of nowhere, while Akechi is basically wearing a neon traitor sign.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're just starting Goro Akechi's Wild Ride, sit tight.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Obvious twist is obvious. Aww man...

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Clearly the phone showed a text message asking Akechi to go in the room and shoot him in the loving head

Sadly he never checked the second line which said 'use a Persona 3 gun and let's get invokin' homeslice'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
drat you, akechi

drat your devastatingly handsome self

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I've mostly been staying out of this thread for a while due to Akechi. I REALLY do not like him and, while I still need to wait a bit to go into all the reasons, him being revealed as the traitor finally at least lets me talk about him without possibly mentioning that. That smile does fairly imply just what an unpleasant person he actually is already though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I hated Akechi before it was cool

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gore-o Akechi amirite

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

For all of you complaining about how obivous it was that Akechi is the traitor just wait...

The ride isn't over just yet.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Set sail for cutscene island

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also worth noting that Akechi is literally the only person you can't sell out to Sae. You can point fingers at all your other teammates and confidants, but Akechi is the one option the game won't let you hand to Sae on a silver platter, because everyone and their dog would have done so in a heartbeat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's also worth noting that Akechi is the only one that could have been the traitor because he was the only one who wasn't running out of Okumura's Palace and thus had a chance to shoot the Shadow. :v:

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's also worth noting that Akechi is literally the only person you can't sell out to Sae. You can point fingers at all your other teammates and confidants, but Akechi is the one option the game won't let you hand to Sae on a silver platter, because everyone and their dog would have done so in a heartbeat.

As I mentioned above, the language for those exchanges is a subtle implication of Akechi as the traitor.

"Is Akechi among your team?" (All options are no.)

"Who is the traitor?" "The one that isn't our teammate."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maaku clearly trusts Pleasant Boy with all his hearts and knows those other rat fucks would sell him out if given the chance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The twist being kind of obvious is intentional, because this is not a murder mystery story like Persona 4, appropriately this is written more like a traditional phantom thief heist story. The mystery isn’t whodunnit it’s how the protagonists get away with their heist. To that end does anyone have any theories of how Maaku will get out of this particular bind, if he can escape at all?

Relatedly this is why we get the next target stuff generally before the flashback narrative even begins to consider them as a target, because the story is about how the Phantom Thieves steal hearts from their targets, not a mystery search for those targets.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh no, the cop ratted us out, who could have guessed.

Game's clearly not over yet, though, so let's see how Mark Hamill becomes a force ghost or whatever.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm gonna miss his lightsaber and silly laser gun on our side.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't believe Maaku is loving dead.

But yeah, I don't blame you for being fooled with the silencer sequence, Arist. Akechi attaches it so fast it almost looked like he was cocking the gun in a weird manner to me. So don't feel too bad about it.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

megane posted:

I hated Akechi before it was cool

:same:

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

For all of you complaining about how obivous it was that Akechi is the traitor just wait...

The ride isn't over just yet.

The twist that Akechi was the traitor isn't that great.

But what comes next... :getin:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's also worth noting that Akechi is the only one that could have been the traitor because he was the only one who wasn't running out of Okumura's Palace and thus had a chance to shoot the Shadow. :v:

As I mentioned above, the language for those exchanges is a subtle implication of Akechi as the traitor.

"Is Akechi among your team?" (All options are no.)

"Who is the traitor?" "The one that isn't our teammate."

There's a bit more foreshadowing; Akechi's the only left-handed party member, and he's the only party member who goes by their last name in the in-game menus/skill targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hardcore of Atlus to murder your protagonist but hey, whatever it takes to make Makoto not be a cop.