Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last album I liked was Lillywhite Sessions and it's a bootleg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Speaking of 80s remakes, I know there was a lot of great TV so far this year but I think my favorite, or at least the show I enjoyed the most so far is Cobra Kai. I'll often go back and watch a scene here or there. The whole tournament episode is loving awesome

It's only on youtube red right? I do really want to watch it legally, but don't wanna pay for that service.

Cloak and Dagger's first ep made me tear up in its first episode. Welp, it's moving up the list of my fav TV of the year.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Anyone else watching Snowfall? This show is great.

"Slap your daddy!" :love: Jerome.

Been talking up this show for months. Completely underrated.

A drug show that doesn't try to portray the drug dealer as a hero, it's refreshing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I said 20 years or so up to the 2000s. 1972 is 28 years prior and thus exempt from my comment.

My mistake.

There's not really any mainstream rock music I find especially exciting the past 20 years ago. Foo Fighters are usually fine but they're getting close to being a 30 year old band.

I'm reminded of Alice Cooper saying nearly 10 years ago that he thought Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are better rock stars than most actual rock artists because they have more personality, while most rock stars a) dressed like lumberjacks; and b) came off like the idea of being a rock star embarrasses them.

Somebody like Kanye is more of a rock star than, say, Chris Martin. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mu Zeta posted:

The last album I liked was Lillywhite Sessions and it's a bootleg.

I have a soft spot for Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King (RIP LeRoi) and Busted Stuff, everything else since BTCS has been mediocre to bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered when Billboard reported Mumford & Sons having a number-one album with the headline "ROCK RULES THE CHARTS".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

It's only on youtube red right? I do really want to watch it legally, but don't wanna pay for that service.

Get the free trial! It’s 3 months over here in the UK, don’t know about in the US

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't even think of a single good rock album from 2000 to 2011. Like what, St Anger? Bush? System of a Down?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

My mistake.

There's not really any mainstream rock music I find especially exciting the past 20 years ago. Foo Fighters are usually fine but they're getting close to being a 30 year old band.

I'm reminded of Alice Cooper saying nearly 10 years ago that he thought Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are better rock stars than most actual rock artists because they have more personality, while most rock stars a) dressed like lumberjacks; and b) came off like the idea of being a rock star embarrasses them.

Somebody like Kanye is more of a rock star than, say, Chris Martin. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

When rock moved away from hair metal part of it was losing the theatricality. Even when the music is theatrical (Coheed and Cambria) the performance itself is relatively restrained. They’re still great to see live for how epic the music is with a full crowd (and they generally play very, very, well, even if they have to play some of their songs a half-step down these days) but the most “rockstar” that Claudio gets is screaming a line of a song into his pickups or bringing out a double neck guitar for no real reason.

My first concert as a teen was Nickelback (I won free tickets from a radio station without realizing what the prize was) and while even back then I knew their music sucked I have to admit they did put on a darn good show, with tons of pyrotechnics, moving around the stage, audience interaction, lasers, etc.

Lurdiak posted:

I can't even think of a single good rock album from 2000 to 2011. Like what, St Anger? Bush? System of a Down?

Coheed. Check out either In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (though it’s a little proggy) or Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV (more traditional rock, has the best Police song not recorded by the Police).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 25, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Bruh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, there aren’t really any “traditional” rock albums released during that era that are good, everything is a genre of some sort or another. I’d submit Jimmy Eat World’s Bleed American (the album is way more solid than The Middle suggests), the two Coheed albums I mentioned are great and hit on a ton of rock subgenres, Arctic Monkey’s Whatever People Say I Am..., The Strokes’ Is This It, White Stripes’s 00’s era releases, The Mars Volta’s first two albums, Queens of the Stone Age’s first couple of albums, that’s what I’ve got off the top of my head for recommendations for “rock” albums.

And that’s not even getting into 00’s Emo.

[Edit: I would be hard pressed to identify a good rock album released in the past few years though]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 25, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Strokes loving suck

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
American Idiot.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

American Idiot.

I thought about namedropping it but it’s very much a product of its time, and a lot of the best songs are obviously inspired by older, better songs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

asecondduck posted:

[Edit: I would be hard pressed to identify a good rock album released in the past few years though]

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals self-titled was a really strong rock album, but that came out eight years ago. Silversun Pickups have never put out a bad album, and I love Umphrey's McGee.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm still not entirely convinced that Corey Hart is a real artist who existed before last year

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I forgot about Silversun Pickups. Manchester Orchestra too.

Oh and Say Anything, but I intentionally didn’t mention emo because I know the genre is divisive.

The Decemberist’s “The Hazards Of Love” is a great prog rock opera, now that I think of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Plz tell me how amazing hair and glam rock were.

The problem whenever people say "[decade] was bad for rock music" is that the only information that gives me is that the person is only talking about what was mainstream during that decade, either knowingly or unknowingly.

Like, even if you think the indie-boom of the 00s was the best rock music has been in decades - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, The Strokes, White Stripes, etc etc etc - what you're not realizing, perhaps, is that those bands were specifically imitating the great "underground" bands of the 80s and 90s.

It's like when people say the 70s was "nothing but disco".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Mike Ryan is live tweeting the golf tournament between Mike, Gotz, the Cote's and Izzy and his partner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Acid Mothers Temple alone released like 20 albums in that timeframe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There’s new good music in every year. Lots of it. You weirdos quit acting like there’s not when the problem is that it’s you that didn’t find it because you’re either lazy and expected it to be transmitted directly into your ears by the magical music gods or you decided you were too cool to try and discover new artists because you’re too old now and there’s no way anyone of a younger generation could be making good music.

Or maybe without the help of MTV and local radio you’re just clueless as to how to find good new music since there’s only about a billion ways to do it. In the last few years I couldn’t even tell you how many great artists I’ve found via Spotify or YouTube or other means. Artists that I still would have loved when I was a teen and artists I would have have never given a shot because I had such narrow tastes in music at the time.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

Cael fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 25, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

X-O posted:

There’s new good music in every year. Lots of it. You weirdos quit acting like there’s not when the problem is that it’s you that didn’t find it because you’re either lazy and expected it to be transmitted directly into your ears by the magical music gods or you decided you were too cool to try and discover new artists because you’re too old now and there’s no way anyone of a younger generation could be making good music.

Or maybe without the help of MTV and local radio you’re just clueless as to how to find good new music since there’s only about a billion ways to do it. In the last few years I couldn’t even tell you how many great artists I’ve found via Spotify or YouTube or other means. Artists that I still would have loved when I was a teen and artists I would have have never given a shot because I had such narrow tastes in music at the time.

You’re not wrong. I have no idea how to find new music and I’m a fan of pop punk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still use Pitchfork. Like 1 in 100 times they recommend something actually good. I recently found Khruangbin and I can't believe they are new and not from the 1960s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

asecondduck posted:

My first concert as a teen was Nickelback (I won free tickets from a radio station without realizing what the prize was) and while even back then I knew their music sucked I have to admit they did put on a darn good show, with tons of pyrotechnics, moving around the stage, audience interaction, lasers, etc.

Man, I think "Rockstar" by Nickelback is my least favourite hit song of the past 20 years. There are worse ones but I can't think of one I like less.

Most of my favourite new music of the past decade or so is stuff I discovered via the Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show on BBC Radio 6. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Music/television crossover fact: today is five years to the day that Miley Cyrus twerked against Robin Thicke at the MTV awards.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Foo Fighters are usually fine
So you just don't like rock music

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

I still use Pitchfork. Like 1 in 100 times they recommend something actually good. I recently found Khruangbin and I can't believe they are new and not from the 1960s.

See this yet another example of finding a band you might not have heard of otherwise. Just a random mention in a post. I listened to about one minute before I knew I'd found another band I liked and had never heard of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

They evoke the wild, shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner, the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher and the competent drumwork of Don Brewer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Foo Fighters this century are about as boring and generic as rock music gets tbh. Not necessarily bad, just the safest thing ever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

Exactly!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

asecondduck posted:

I mean, there aren’t really any “traditional” rock albums released during that era that are good, everything is a genre of some sort or another.

Yeah see that's what I mean. You can't just say everything with a guitar in it is rock, that's way too wide an umbrella. Sure there was some good music, but hardly any that I'd call like, good ol' fashioned Rock and Roll.

swickles posted:

American Idiot.

That album is so terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah see that's what I mean. You can't just say everything with a guitar in it is rock, that's way too wide an umbrella. Sure there was some good music, but hardly any that I'd call like, good ol' fashioned Rock and Roll.

Sure, Bob Seger was saying that in 1978. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The same dummies that say this are the same that lump everything under the sun into Pop Music. I mean if you're anal enough to believe that sub genres of rock don't count as rock then nothing is rock.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
JD McPherson had a really good roots rock album out just last year but you wouldn't know because it didn't get played on the radio. And I enjoyed that Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats album that came out earlier this year; he has a band that knows how to swing. Vintage Trouble are another good band from within the last decade. And of course you can't beat a bit of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. They're a soul band but they know how to swing. That's very important.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 25, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm watching Taxi Brooklyn and so far I can't tell if it's fun or just annoying. Americans really seem to have trouble adapting Besson's work. At least Jimmy Fallon isn't in this version I guess.

X-O posted:

The same dummies that say this are the same that lump everything under the sun into Pop Music. I mean if you're anal enough to believe that sub genres of rock don't count as rock then nothing is rock.

>:/ I just like categories ok.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All that being said, my favourite singer is actually Mel Tormé.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rocksicles posted:

. They managed to make a show about two teenagers not in the least bit about relationship bullshit.

I was skeptical of this because of the previews, but then that last scene of Ep 1 happened. Which you see coming a mile away, but I still think is great and has my attention.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nathanial Radcliffe and the Nightsweats are pretty much the best new music I've been exposed to since 2012.