Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just started a gmgow+ game off my platinum'd Hard save file, just finished limping through the Stranger fight at the house. Beginning of the game feels way better than a fresh start on the higher difficulties. Being able to drop 4 AoE runic attacks in a row then run in with a sick blade combo to finish everything off is pretty great.

I noticed i seem to have two shields now, what's up with that? They get different blacksmith upgrades or something?

Also, what are everyone's 12 favorite enchantments? I'm wearing a full set of Valkyrie armor with the infinity gauntlet and want to minmax my dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Takes No Damage posted:

Just started a gmgow+ game off my platinum'd Hard save file, just finished limping through the Stranger fight at the house. Beginning of the game feels way better than a fresh start on the higher difficulties. Being able to drop 4 AoE runic attacks in a row then run in with a sick blade combo to finish everything off is pretty great.

I noticed i seem to have two shields now, what's up with that? They get different blacksmith upgrades or something?

Also, what are everyone's 12 favorite enchantments? I'm wearing a full set of Valkyrie armor with the infinity gauntlet and want to minmax my dudes.

The shields are cosmetic I think. You probably got one as a reward or a Ng+ thing. I got the deluxe edition or the day one (can't recall) and it came with a few shields.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it looks like one of them is just from NG+, it has the same red background that's showing up when I find Slap Skag or whatever the new crafting resource is, probably anything red like that is gonna be NG+ related.

I'm anticipating a pretty big mechanic dump when I hit the first Brok store, are there actual new skills and items to buy or do the upgrades just make my numbers bigger?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No new skills, just upgraded versions of old recipes that all require slag. I just beat Alfheim and so far only 1-2 pieces have been upgrades over the endgame Valkyrie gear. Oh and you can also trade XP for more hacksilver. My first recommendation would be upgrading the BOY armor that gives him all the abilities of his normal armors at once.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was gonna do other stuff this weekend but goddamn it, this sounds like how it’s gonna be

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That OP boy armor owns

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I always upgraded boi before Kratos because it's so much easier to fully utilize his new skills since they're either automatic or just come with tapping Square every few seconds.

What's up with this 1.31 patch? There's a reddit thread for it but nobody seems to know what it does yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There’s an update (1.31) that I guess fixes some bugs?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fairly breezing through the early game. I converted a bunch of XP into cash so I could buy the new boi armor. In case anyone else is short on silver, the game gives you some fresh boi threads that has the perks of 2/3 of the other armor sets, it just doesn't let you equip it until you meet Brok.

This was the very last raven I found in my first playthrough CAN YOU GUESS WHY

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1032836615020990464

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Just got to Mimir on GMGOW+. The new armors are cool but so far none of them are far and away better than the endgame valkyrie set. So if you have that already, I would recommend spending your Skap Slag on BOY armor, the incredibly OP talisman that refreshes all runic cooldowns, and the other craftable talismans that you can then convert into enchantments.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Mimir have unique dialogue or stories about the early game sidequests? I'm wondering if it's worth it to beeline to him, then bring him back to the lake and start on exploration then.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

the incredibly OP talisman that refreshes all runic cooldowns

I was going to post about this but really why bother with anything else

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/1033039377977360384

Mimir is going to voice the audiobook of the game novelization.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Takes No Damage posted:

Does Mimir have unique dialogue or stories about the early game sidequests? I'm wondering if it's worth it to beeline to him, then bring him back to the lake and start on exploration then.

he has a lot to say always in my experience. i didn't do a lot of sidequests til after i got him and I was kind of disappointed b/c it meant the end of Kratos stories p much and I hadn't heard them all yet lmao

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I avoided plot progress like the plague until I had exhausted all possible sidequests, since I no longer really need to 'gather resources for our journey' I'll take the opposite approach and not touch them until I've gotten the band back together. Kind of wish I'd have thought about it earlier, I would have skipped opening those lore triptychs in the early game and come back with storyhead.

edit:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I was going to post about this but really why bother with anything else

drat you guys are not kidding, I just wiped the floor with the ice giant in the Heart of the Mountain like it weren't no thang. Being able to drop 8 runic attacks in a row is busted as hell, I love it. And if you upgrade the talisman you even get to keep the 3 jem slots like the infinity glove :circlefap:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 25, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

esperterra posted:

he has a lot to say always in my experience. i didn't do a lot of sidequests til after i got him and I was kind of disappointed b/c it meant the end of Kratos stories p much and I hadn't heard them all yet lmao

Yeah same for me. After I finish unflooding my basement I'm hoping to start a NG+ and spend more time doing side quests without Mimir as I barely did any so I only got a handful of Kratos stories :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

shortspecialbus posted:

After I finish unflooding my basement

Man I don’t remember this part of the game at all

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dogen posted:

Man I don’t remember this part of the game at all

That's the real reason you wake up Jormungandr, can't drain the basement without lowering the water table.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Hi! Is there a checklist of things I should do or items I should collect before I start a NG+ save? I beat the game (obviously) but didn't bother doing things like all the Valkyries or fully upgrading the weapons, and I think there are probably a lot of special items I missed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You don't have to upgrade everything but it does help, especially if you wanna start NG+ on a higher difficulty. Monster strength is partly dependent on Kratos' relative item level, and enemies on GMGOW+ already start at level 7, so if Kratos doesn't have pretty good gear you'll probably get dropped by the first Draugr you see until you can craft some of the new armors. Collectibles and stuff like the language ciphers all reset with an NG+ save so don't worry about those. If you're low on cash you can trade in XP for hacksilver as soon as you meet Brok.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/1033039377977360384

Mimir is going to voice the audiobook of the game novelization.

Makes sense, it’s just all of Mimirs dialogue stitched into audio book format.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

That's the real reason you wake up Jormungandr, can't drain the basement without lowering the water table.

Just flip the basement.

I started NG+; the cod of war armor has great stats and cool properties but boy I don’t like the way it looks at all. At least it’s not the GoW 2 version of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just got to the top of Pluspelheim and Gondul does not gently caress around. Worthless! Unworthy! Usually I have to pay extra to get my balls stomped in with such tenacity. GMGOW more like MGTOW!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I haven't got a chance to try NG+ yet, so I'm wondering that Skag stuff or whatever, does it bypass any other upgrades on the armor and just maxes it right away, or does it need to be fully upgraded first?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Man, Sigurd does not gently caress around.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hi hello god of war 3's entire final act was some of the most insufferable crap i've seen from a game or otherwise in recent memory and i anticipate playing this one all the more because it might wash the taste out of my mouth

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I haven't got a chance to try NG+ yet, so I'm wondering that Skag stuff or whatever, does it bypass any other upgrades on the armor and just maxes it right away, or does it need to be fully upgraded first?

There's a whole new (red) tier of gear you can craft using Skap Slag and most of it can be upgraded further. It's not immediately a direct upgrade over the endgame valkyrie gear if you got that during your first playthrough so you might not have a use for it right away besides upgrading Atreus' armor and crafting level 9 enchantments.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

hi hello god of war 3's entire final act was some of the most insufferable crap i've seen from a game or otherwise in recent memory and i anticipate playing this one all the more because it might wash the taste out of my mouth

The most surprising thing about this game, to me, is that the writing is actually, genuinely, really good so yeah get on this. I always enjoyed god of war games as a guilty pleasure but this one is a cut above. Nary a weird sex mini game to be seen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

The most surprising thing about this game, to me, is that the writing is actually, genuinely, really good so yeah get on this. I always enjoyed god of war games as a guilty pleasure but this one is a cut above. Nary a weird sex mini game to be seen

i would endure ten more sex minigames if it meant i wouldn't have to see another waifish greek-myth Original Character Do Not Steal yelling nonsense about the power of hope into my face

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

i would endure ten more sex minigames if it meant i wouldn't have to see another waifish greek-myth Original Character Do Not Steal yelling nonsense about the power of hope into my face

There’s also none of that so you’re good

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's subtle and clever but it doesn't overreach or feel too vague. It gives the VOs (and voice director) the room to interpret and imply, with enough definition to feel planned and purposeful. Also, it's really funny at times. It delivered exactly the amount of story I wanted in this game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mimir is the MVP. Without him to break up the emotional stuttering of Kratos the game would be much too dry.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Brok & Syndri fill that role as well. They fuckin' rule, down to their little barks during window shopping

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Mimir is the MVP. Without him to break up the emotional stuttering of Kratos the game would be much too dry.

I was very surprised to learn it’s the same VA that plays celebrimbor in shadow of wardor. Dude has some range

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fuzz posted:

I get the feeling the final game we might actually be playing AS Boy, because Kratos is already dead or something.

I still maintain that in gow 2 Kratos will need to get to Valhalla and will have to die in combat to get there

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually Atreus having to kill Kratos so he can go to Valhalla to kill Odin would be a loving epic moment, and I’m not someone who uses that word. They’d both have to fight their hardest for it to work, Valkyries can tell if you pull your punches

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

isk posted:

Brok & Syndri fill that role as well. They fuckin' rule, down to their little barks during window shopping

Little moments like Sindri's shop just being there after you kill the dragon in a loving epic fashion make this game for me. I can't wait for a run on NG+.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
If anyone feels like cheesing Skap Slag you can do so by finding and opening all but one of the hidden chambers, and upon discovering and opening the last chamber (18 Slag) you simply restart from last checkpoint, which let's you retain the Slag and reset the hidden chamber discovery. Repeat for as long as you like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Had to give up on Gondul+ for the time being, her unblockable game is insane and I am unworthy! Unworthy! Fortunately the first valkyrie after you get the chisel is a total pushover by comparison, "have you learned how to parry y/n"?

It appears that at least on GMGOW+ you have to hit the valkyries when they're airborne yourself to interrupt their AOE forcewave, can't rely on boy arrows to do it for you. Devious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
start god of war

first thing i do is cut down an ash tree

ok, guess this is how we mean to go on

e: holy poo poo i like kratos better already

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 26, 2018