Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ratoslov posted:

The 'Vance' (Vancian) wizards have a sheet of paper that represents the amount of spells they can have in their brain, and cards that represent spells that have to physically fit on the page. This is sort of neat, but the spells are all either one or two times the size of the smallest card and they're all the same shapes. Furthermore, you can get a power that lets you make the big cards the same size as the little cards, which they suggest on the forums representing by physically folding the cards in half. (My GM said to just overlap them because that's stupid.) Why is this not a spell-point system? You're getting none of the cool stuff from the physical card format and all of the drawbacks.

Pointing out that there's a possibility for an interesting game mechanic, and then saying "Hey, we're going do this interesting game mechanic!" and then implementing it in the most uninspiring and misguided way possible is Monte Cook as hell. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That's actually really disappointing because that is such a cool idea...especially if you create design limitations where spells almost always take up the same area, but high level spells have weird, janky shapes that make it hard to crowbar multiple ones into the same brainspace without losing out on filler spells (and cantrips can always be single square spells that could fit anywhere on the grid).

Something like the system for ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Dark Death Evilman.

EDIT: so you could have a level...lets say 3 spell be just a block:
code:
x x x
x x x
x x x

while a level 9 is something like an X
x          x
   x    x
      x
   x    x
x          x
same area, but one is much easier to tessellate.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 25, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ratoslov posted:

So a buddy of mine bought Invisible Sun and has decided to run it, and despite my reservations with it I'm giving it a fair shot. Because the 'visae packages' (character sheets) hadn't come in yet, we played a short, disjointed adventure using pre-made characters that was clearly not made for characters as good at wizarding as our wizards. The adventure made it seem like every difficulty we ran up against was going to take a lot of time to fix, but we basically spent the adventure taking turns cleaning up problems with a single power or whatnot.

This is 100% the most Monte Cook thing in the history of Monte Cook.

DalaranJ posted:

Pointing out that there's a possibility for an interesting game mechanic, and then saying "Hey, we're going do this interesting game mechanic!" and then implementing it in the most uninspiring and misguided way possible is Monte Cook as hell. :discourse:

Or this, it's hard to choose.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The three things that the name Monte Cook makes me think of, thanks to TG:

1: "Beaners"
2: Coming up with exciting new mechanics and then blowing the implementation
3: Smithers from The Simpsons singing "I work for Monte Cook, da dah da dah Monte Cook..."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

The 'Vance' (Vancian) wizards have a sheet of paper that represents the amount of spells they can have in their brain, and cards that represent spells that have to physically fit on the page. This is sort of neat, but the spells are all either one or two times the size of the smallest card and they're all the same shapes. Furthermore, you can get a power that lets you make the big cards the same size as the little cards, which they suggest on the forums representing by physically folding the cards in half. (My GM said to just overlap them because that's stupid.) Why is this not a spell-point system? You're getting none of the cool stuff from the physical card format and all of the drawbacks.

I suspect trying to play Tetris with non-rectangular spell cards on a non-rectangular grid would get arduous pretty fast, though. It should probably just be spell points, or be spell cards in the Vance's "hand".

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

LatwPIAT posted:

I suspect trying to play Tetris with non-rectangular spell cards on a non-rectangular grid would get arduous pretty fast, though. It should probably just be spell points, or be spell cards in the Vance's "hand".

And really powerful spells needing to be cast like Exodia.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I do like the suggestion of taking your game components which you've paid hundreds of dollars for and just folding them in half to make them fit properly on the character sheet, though.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Back on rebellion chat, Spellbound Kingdom seemed pretty easily skinnable that way with the shadow stuff.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

The three things that the name Monte Cook makes me think of, thanks to TG:

1: "Beaners"
2: Coming up with exciting new mechanics and then blowing the implementation
3: Smithers from The Simpsons singing "I work for Monte Cook, da dah da dah Monte Cook..."

0: the moon

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The penny just dropped for me on Spire. It defines characters by what they can withstand (stress tracks), not what they can do (ability scores). That's brilliantly contrarian and I wish it hadn't taken me so long to get it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mllaneza posted:

The penny just dropped for me on Spire. It defines characters by what they can withstand (stress tracks), not what they can do (ability scores). That's brilliantly contrarian and I wish it hadn't taken me so long to get it.

Well poo poo now I have to read it again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gundam VS is also good.

I know you're copying the One Year War here, but having the PCs play agents of the oppressive colonial power is slightly lovely. :v:

I'm actually going to respond to this again. Just to ask if Zeon ever did some hardcore Nazi poo poo? Like, did they ever do camps or any of that poo poo? Because I was watching MS-IGLOO and there's a moment where I realized I think they forgot Zeon was supposed to be Nazis. Also, they have this character that super Nazi but they don't portray him as a bad guy and actually portray him in a positive light and its really uncomfortable.

I don't know if Operation British counts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

I'm actually going to respond to this again. Just to ask if Zeon ever did some hardcore Nazi poo poo? Like, did they ever do camps or any of that poo poo? Because I was watching MS-IGLOO and there's a moment where I realized I think they forgot Zeon was supposed to be Nazis. Also, they have this character that super Nazi but they don't portray him as a bad guy and actually portray him in a positive light and its really uncomfortable.

They used chemical weapons to massacre civilians and Gihren Zabi was like "hmm that ancient warlord actually looks cool" when his dad compared him to Hitler

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

They used chemical weapons to massacre civilians and Gihren Zabi was like "hmm that ancient warlord actually looks cool" when his dad compared him to Hitler

Oh yeah, I forgot they gassed that entire colony during operation British. Also, the scene where Deigwen who literally calls his son Hitler.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

depictions of zeon swing wildly depending on the series but yeah tomino's original deception of them in the original series wasn't exactly subtle with comparing them to the axis

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

depictions of zeon swing wildly depending on the series but yeah tomino's original deception of them in the original series wasn't exactly subtle with comparing them to the axis

They even named one of their asteroid bases for 'em!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MS-IGLOO is straight up Zeon apologia

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ratoslov posted:

So a buddy of mine bought Invisible Sun and has decided to run it, and despite my reservations with it I'm giving it a fair shot. Because the 'visae packages' (character sheets) hadn't come in yet, we played a short, disjointed adventure using pre-made characters that was clearly not made for characters as good at wizarding as our wizards. The adventure made it seem like every difficulty we ran up against was going to take a lot of time to fix, but we basically spent the adventure taking turns cleaning up problems with a single power or whatnot. We largely had fun, despite most of the table being taken up by a giant empty board and a plastic hand.

Was the giant empty board the Path of Suns? That really seems like it's more table space than it's worth.

I'd be curious about any thoughts on how the various splats played. I'm really curious which of the options are the traps (it's an MCG joint, there are traps); my gut read was that the Goetic and Maker seem potentially trap-y, since their order powers function a lot on GM fiat/questing, and the Apostate's mix-and-match approach seems prone to trap options, but it sounds like the Vance also plays a little lame? If Invisible Sun ends up achieving some kind of MCG apotheosis of "all options are traps," well, maybe that's what it deserves.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xarbala posted:

It gets dangerously close to Nazi apologia due to the character uniform designs. It's also pretty universally accepted as being bad.

The Origin, manga and movies, lean pretty heavily on Zeon being terrible, corrupt fascists and drive home even more that Char is a sociopath. The Earth Federation is also relatively bad but Zeon is by far the worst.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xarbala posted:

I don't really agree about MS-IGLOO, it's about an individual weapons testing unit just scrambling to find something they can toss at the Federation. It's not treated sympathetically, even if individual pilots are sympathetic, and given most of them die piloting defective pieces of poo poo it doesn't really paint Zeon in a very positive light.

Plus season two of MS-IGLOO looked at things from the Federation side of things, and how they were stuck fighting mobile suits with conventional infantry weapons and tanks for more than half the war.

MSG Thunderbolt was probably worse for Zeon apologia, given that the Zeon character is just a crippled veteran trying to do his job while his Federation counterpart is an absolutely murderous sociopath. And also the Federation just puts together a bunch of child soldiers apparently conscripted en masse, and they all die horribly by mid-series.

Also funnily enough MS-Zeta decided to give the Federation the Nazi Hat, with the straight up SS inspired Titans, who were even less sympathetic than literally Neo-Zeon. With AEUG stuck in the middle.

Also also: "The Plot to Assassinate Gihren" manga owns and is literally Operation Valkyrie with giant robots.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 26, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

fool_of_sound posted:

The book gives pretty extensive advice about what you should and should not do while building your character. I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't agree with this at all. It does have some things it expects you to do to build a character that works well, but it also spends a lot of time telling you that you should do those things.

Aight, so I'm going to focus on mech building, since I think the character side is more tragically boring than anything. The system offers a lot of options, many of which look good on first glance. You have the option to focus on different categories of weapons, lean more towards support and battlefield control, or take a more specialized role. Cool. What's not cool is that most of it boils down to stacking advantages in your chosen field (if weapon-focused), or dropping a ton of points into making support builds work at all. Most of my play has been on the PL4 side of the spectrum, so I've crunched up a variety of builds with quite a bit of budget to work with and had a wildly different amount of success with them.

The simple fact of the matter is that support, really, doesn't feel great. You dedicate a ton of build points and energy each turn for the ability to use your 5pt support options more than once. There are some clutch support techniques, to be sure, but most of the time you're better off just dealing damage and pushing enemies towards their next maim... since that also cripples them. And with the weapons available? That's pretty easy. Things like the Resonance Cannon, that auto-destroys the enemy's current layer of threshold after dealing damage, or the Boosted Lance, that deal flat bonus damage, are really good. Or, perhaps, you invest in a technique build. Those are really strong. I'd venture that a flying mech using Ground Zero with the technicians is one of the strongest builds at the top end of things. The Beast is also a really strong build in and of itself... and it's essentially done at 20 build points. Of course, maybe you think that playing a sniper or something is a good idea. Pity about how you need EWAC, Commander Type, and Assisted Targeting to not gently caress yourself on the action economy.

All that to say that even in terms of weapons, there are a few that really stand out and more than a few that are somewhere between serviceable and not worth the points. So, in my own experiences playing the game, I've run into some traps that the game did not, in fact, warn me about. Traps that seem like perfectly reasonable mech archetypes. Traps that, really, aren't breaking any of the advice on when it's more effective to buy up stats or upgrades.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tricky posted:

Aight, so I'm going to focus on mech building, since I think the character side is more tragically boring than anything. The system offers a lot of options, many of which look good on first glance. You have the option to focus on different categories of weapons, lean more towards support and battlefield control, or take a more specialized role. Cool. What's not cool is that most of it boils down to stacking advantages in your chosen field (if weapon-focused), or dropping a ton of points into making support builds work at all. Most of my play has been on the PL4 side of the spectrum, so I've crunched up a variety of builds with quite a bit of budget to work with and had a wildly different amount of success with them.

The simple fact of the matter is that support, really, doesn't feel great. You dedicate a ton of build points and energy each turn for the ability to use your 5pt support options more than once. There are some clutch support techniques, to be sure, but most of the time you're better off just dealing damage and pushing enemies towards their next maim... since that also cripples them. And with the weapons available? That's pretty easy. Things like the Resonance Cannon, that auto-destroys the enemy's current layer of threshold after dealing damage, or the Boosted Lance, that deal flat bonus damage, are really good. Or, perhaps, you invest in a technique build. Those are really strong. I'd venture that a flying mech using Ground Zero with the technicians is one of the strongest builds at the top end of things. The Beast is also a really strong build in and of itself... and it's essentially done at 20 build points. Of course, maybe you think that playing a sniper or something is a good idea. Pity about how you need EWAC, Commander Type, and Assisted Targeting to not gently caress yourself on the action economy.

All that to say that even in terms of weapons, there are a few that really stand out and more than a few that are somewhere between serviceable and not worth the points. So, in my own experiences playing the game, I've run into some traps that the game did not, in fact, warn me about. Traps that seem like perfectly reasonable mech archetypes. Traps that, really, aren't breaking any of the advice on when it's more effective to buy up stats or upgrades.

Full Support is the literal only thing you've actually said that could be construed as a trap option, and I suspect that because you weren't using the expansion. With BCZ you open up the ability to spawn warp gates, turn tension into energy, get a free actionless random support power every turn. Pick up Shielding Aura, Dispersion Aura, maybe even Guardian of Steel to protect the whole party! Maybe go tanky and take Extreme Body and Pulling Field so you can drop damage fields that don't key off Might at all while protecting the party! I strongly suspect that you are overvaluing being able to recharge Support upgrades. Battles aren't supposed to last all that long.

Not to mention it's trivial just to make a hybrid support/combat mech.

Your sniper for example revolves entirely around a single sniper weapon: the Sniper Rifle. There are half a dozen valid sniper weapons with theri own advantages (Rail Bazooka for AoE, Assault Rifle for targeted maiming, several Energy Weapons that can generate their own Advantage on the fly) that work extremely effectively when you don't need to massively stack up Advantage, but the Sniper Rifle still has a purpose even when you do. The game tells you the strengths and disadvantages of the Sniper Rifle up front; it should be obvious that you want another weapon for when it's impractical.

As for the rest I'm not even sure where you're coming from calling The Beast a 'build'. It's an aspect of a build. That's why it's only 20 points. You can take Versatile Model and Skirmisher and make a fast, dodgy mech that survives at low HP. You can take Expansion Pack, Absolute Barrier, and a bunch of Energy to tank all sorts of poo poo. Hell just combine it with Limit Engine for the synergy!

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 26, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bedlamdan posted:

I don't really agree about MS-IGLOO, it's about an individual weapons testing unit just scrambling to find something they can toss at the Federation. It's not treated sympathetically, even if individual pilots are sympathetic, and given most of them die piloting defective pieces of poo poo it doesn't really paint Zeon in a very positive light.

Plus season two of MS-IGLOO looked at things from the Federation side of things, and how they were stuck fighting mobile suits with conventional infantry weapons and tanks for more than half the war.

MSG Thunderbolt was probably worse for Zeon apologia, given that the Zeon character is just a crippled veteran trying to do his job while his Federation counterpart is an absolutely murderous sociopath. And also the Federation just puts together a bunch of child soldiers apparently conscripted en masse, and they all die horribly by mid-series.

Also funnily enough MS-Zeta decided to give the Federation the Nazi Hat, with the straight up SS inspired Titans, who were even less sympathetic than literally Neo-Zeon. With AEUG stuck in the middle.

Also also: "The Plot to Assassinate Gihren" manga owns and is literally Operation Valkyrie with giant robots.

Thunderbolt's sometimes iffy morality can be forgiven for how well made it is in every other regard, including the anime version's amazing OST;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8DS_G5PRB2Vd8LtP-hzT-B2WNgLe6-JZ

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3BqbLrwbX3qDSmnDsC4KmGiHG1IPRf9n

basically Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky is in my opinion one of the best introductions to the franchise currently available

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ConanThe3rd posted:

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

This show is fantastic, by the way. What starts off as pretty standard Gundam fare in the first couple episodes quickly becomes something more thoughtful and nuanced, and has interesting things to say about non-traditional relationships and family structures. If you have even the slightest tolerance for mecha, check it out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC Zeon is often shown as a mix of fascist/reactionary things culture-wise but actually often resembles the Nazis most in their hardware and military tactics; different arms companies competing to make the next generation wunderwaften at the expense of making reliable mass-produced equipment, overengineered and expensive one-off prototypes that only ace pilots can really manage, and sometimes having their soldiers completely hosed up on drugs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

To be fair, I do view the Aesir family as a group that believes themselves to be gods in a cult-like government.

Like, King Odin's birth name was not King Odin, he renamed it because he believed he was a god and is convinced the planet that he is. Hence why they have so many Norse names. Like the creator of the jotun, Loki Jotunheim who Odin made an honorary member of the Aesir family for his invention.

Covok posted:

Zeon is an autocratic cult of personality led by a genocidal mass-murderer who wants to conquer the Solar system and is obsessed with Nazi aesthetics.

The thing is, you're not playing UC Gundam, you're playing your own setting in which you've chosen to make the oppressed Martians into the same thing. Just because your totally-original-do-not-steal mecha setting borrows from UC Gundam doesn't mean you need to reproduce it 1:1 by having the oppressed colonists turn into Nazis and their colonial masters be the good guys. You can have the Martians rising up in an anarcho-syndicalist revolution against Earth's corporate control (as in IBO), or the Earth being the fascist government (as in Zeta), or the Aesir family ruling entirely through coercion, murder and fear and Earth and the Martian resistance working hand in hand to depose them, or whatever else you choose.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Full Support is the literal only thing you've actually said that could be construed as a trap option, and I suspect that because you weren't using the expansion. With BCZ you open up the ability to spawn warp gates, turn tension into energy, get a free actionless random support power every turn. Pick up Shielding Aura, Dispersion Aura, maybe even Guardian of Steel to protect the whole party! Maybe go tanky and take Extreme Body and Pulling Field so you can drop damage fields that don't key off Might at all while protecting the party! I strongly suspect that you are overvaluing being able to recharge Support upgrades. Battles aren't supposed to last all that long.

Not to mention it's trivial just to make a hybrid support/combat mech.

Your sniper for example revolves entirely around a single sniper weapon: the Sniper Rifle. There are half a dozen valid sniper weapons with theri own advantages (Rail Bazooka for AoE, Assault Rifle for targeted maiming, several Energy Weapons that can generate their own Advantage on the fly) that work extremely effectively when you don't need to massively stack up Advantage, but the Sniper Rifle still has a purpose even when you do. The game tells you the strengths and disadvantages of the Sniper Rifle up front; it should be obvious that you want another weapon for when it's impractical.

As for the rest I'm not even sure where you're coming from calling The Beast a 'build'. It's an aspect of a build. That's why it's only 20 points. You can take Versatile Model and Skirmisher and make a fast, dodgy mech that survives at low HP. You can take Expansion Pack, Absolute Barrier, and a bunch of Energy to tank all sorts of poo poo. Hell just combine it with Limit Engine for the synergy!

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and argue experiences with you if you're just going to nope out of them and focus on wording minutia. I am relating that, in play, some of these options are wildly more effective than others. Our typical combat tends to go up to Tension 5 or 6, so being able to use those support options multiple times is pretty important, unless you want to spend all those points going wide instead and risking that you won't have a helpful support action. As for the variety of weapons: again, this is my point. If you think "oh, hey, I want to use a sniper rifle" you end up getting hosed over by unspoken prerequisites. There are a lot of good weapons and, likewise, a lot of really underpowered options. They all cost 5 points. Do you see how that can lead to variance in build efficacy at the same point levels?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Antivehicular posted:

Was the giant empty board the Path of Suns? That really seems like it's more table space than it's worth.

Yeah, it eats up a huge amount of space in the name of flavor, but it could totally be replaced with spots for two cards and a d8. Another 'why didn't we make it an app?' moment.

quote:

I'd be curious about any thoughts on how the various splats played. I'm really curious which of the options are the traps (it's an MCG joint, there are traps); my gut read was that the Goetic and Maker seem potentially trap-y, since their order powers function a lot on GM fiat/questing, and the Apostate's mix-and-match approach seems prone to trap options, but it sounds like the Vance also plays a little lame? If Invisible Sun ends up achieving some kind of MCG apotheosis of "all options are traps," well, maybe that's what it deserves.

My very shallow impressions of the splats from this:

1. I have no idea what's going on with Apostates, because the Apostate player was kinda feeling withdrawn that day and wasn't interested in playing much.
2. Our Goetic didn't summon anything because the mission had serious time pressure, but she got a fair bit of use out of dismissing a demon.
3. Our Maker didn't do anything at all using his Maker stuff and spent a lot of time studying the complex 'how to Make poo poo' flow chart included. It reminds me unpleasantly of Exalted 3e's crafting junk system in some ways.
4. The Vance caster used a few spells, because while it is kind of lame, you can't turn up your nose at free magic that just works.
5. Weaving is balanced by being expensive, but you can always cast exactly the right spell at the right time. As a Nobilis fan, this was the most comfortable spellcasting method for me. My big complaint about it is that the premade character sheet didn't have a quick-reference to the levels of various spell effects unlike everyone else's, but that could have been quite a long sheet.

But once again, I don't have a solid grasp on this stuff.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
IIRC Zeon was pretty much always the Axis in space. Though I remember some readings about the original 0079 incarnation being intended to be more of an Imperial Japan thing than strictly a Germany thing.

08th MST and 0080 were where the Nazis in Space thing became more or less 1 for 1 and maaaaybe got a little fetishistic.

Unicorn also had a lot of Zeon apologia but that was more about the Earth Federation being in the wrong since its founding.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

IIRC Zeon was pretty much always the Axis in space. Though I remember some readings about the original 0079 incarnation being intended to be more of an Imperial Japan thing than strictly a Germany thing.

08th MST and 0080 were where the Nazis in Space thing became more or less 1 for 1 and maaaaybe got a little fetishistic.

Unicorn also had a lot of Zeon apologia but that was more about the Earth Federation being in the wrong since its founding.

Zeon being Imperial Japan would have some serious loving implications on Z Gundam though (Bask Ohm = MacArthur).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

This is 100% the most Monte Cook thing in the history of Monte Cook.

Or this, it's hard to choose.

The most Monte Cook thing for me is that everything that can have a unique nonsense name does. Because Monte Cook has apparently only been able to read the 30 year catalog of White Wolf/Onyx Path books in the past five years, and the ability to apply new proper nouns to everything until every sentence is an incomprehensible mess to someone not well-versed in the game's lexicon is mindblowingly fresh to him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Honestly, it might have been better if Zeon wasn't meant to be either Nazis or Imperial Japan. Once you tie something to a real historical group, you attach all the baggage that comes with that group. You can't ever really have Xeon be good because they're based on Nazis, for example, even though you could easily switch the narrative in any other circumstance because Zeon was an oppressed colony. You could do an interesting story there. But because they're meant to be Nazis or imperial Japan, you can't because then you're endorsing those horrible real life groups.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Tricky posted:

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and argue experiences with you if you're just going to nope out of them and focus on wording minutia. I am relating that, in play, some of these options are wildly more effective than others. Our typical combat tends to go up to Tension 5 or 6, so being able to use those support options multiple times is pretty important, unless you want to spend all those points going wide instead and risking that you won't have a helpful support action. As for the variety of weapons: again, this is my point. If you think "oh, hey, I want to use a sniper rifle" you end up getting hosed over by unspoken prerequisites. There are a lot of good weapons and, likewise, a lot of really underpowered options. They all cost 5 points. Do you see how that can lead to variance in build efficacy at the same point levels?

Hi, playtester of BCG and balance helper here, name the options and I'll point out how they are really strong please

odds are good you missed something that makes them powerful because support is so good it actually got nerfs in the optional errata because it was OP.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Remember that cyberpunk discussion where people were saying hacking a car was unrealistic?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862643&userid=20544

Features no actual car hacking but jesus, put any of these posts in the present tense and you have the start of a Johnson's infopacket

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Honestly, it might have been better if Zeon wasn't meant to be either Nazis or Imperial Japan. Once you tie something to a real historical group, you attach all the baggage that comes with that group. You can't ever really have Xeon be good because they're based on Nazis, for example, even though you could easily switch the narrative in any other circumstance because Zeon was an oppressed colony. You could do an interesting story there. But because they're meant to be Nazis or imperial Japan, you can't because then you're endorsing those horrible real life groups.

zeon was created by a japanese man who lived through ww2, the baggage is the point

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Transient People posted:

Hi, playtester of BCG and balance helper here, name the options and I'll point out how they are really strong please

odds are good you missed something that makes them powerful because support is so good it actually got nerfs in the optional errata because it was OP.

In what world is the Sniper Rifle ever worth the points?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Tricky posted:

In what world is the Sniper Rifle ever worth the points?

Anytime you want a weapon that will consistently do excellent damage and keep you safe while being all-purpose and versatile. Compare with the Powered Rifle and Assault Rifle (its closest competitors), the Sniper Rifle can access the same level of firepower at any level of play as the Powered Rifle except the absolute highest where you have both Sniper Model and Experimental Reactor, while also retaining the general usability and energy efficiency of the Assault Rifle. What makes it good is it only ever asks for 5 energy to become self-sufficient - that leaves you with enough energy to spend on a defensive barrier to keep you safe if your range advantage doesn't cut it and you also don't become helpless if somebody rushes you down. It has very natural, good synergy the Assisted Targeting support upgrade (which literally all ranged builds need to look at in the first place due to how Aiming gives you +4 damage), so it's a very common choice for people who want to do great damage per round without sacrificing durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sure, and that sounds great. In a vacuum. On the lower end, it requires a solid 25 (30, if you include the weapon itself) points to function in addition to a solid chunk of investment into energy. So you say that Powered Rifle and Experimental Reactor and Sniper Model is a high-end build? If you're looking at this one trick in isolation, it's 35 pts (40, with weapon). You can also definitely have good results with just one or the other, given the range on boost, which puts it as more both as being more scalable and with higher upside. Even without that, Powered Rifle is inherently more energy efficient than the Sniper setup since, at most, it'll only ever require 3 in and of itself. Like you said, you can even invest in the aim setup to make it better as you have more room in your build. Experimental Reactor also opens up the flexibility to bring in the other beam weapons which, largely, are really good.

So, again, why would I pick the Sniper Rifle if I can get a similar level of efficacy per point, that scales better, and not need to devote 5 energy/turn to enable the weapon's basic function? The Assault Rifle at least offers built-in Expert Support and has guaranteed maim choices, so that's certainly an interesting option in certain builds. The Sniper Rifle offers +2 damage if you jump through a bunch of prerequisites and are okay bottoming out on energy every round.