Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Honestly, because it's not a genre that I have any familiarity with. Plus, I'm very much not the intended audience for Cozy Mysteries, though I do like hard-boiled noir so I'm enjoying seeing the overlaps between the two, like Bizarro universes of each other. I will ask this though: where do you fall on "the reader should be able to solve the mystery in the course of the story"? Because I disagree with J on this. If I can (or am expected to) solve the mystery ahead of the character then I'm focusing on that more than on the characters and, if I do, I feel like it creates a weird meta-textual issue of questioning the protagonists competence that they artificially do not puzzle it out.

I always have thought that the ideal balance for a mystery story is that the reader should feel like they would be able to solve it but not actually have that be the case. You are aiming for the “oh, of course” feeling but if people can realistically get there before the book does then they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I will ask this though: where do you fall on "the reader should be able to solve the mystery in the course of the story"?

I don't care either way, but it does annoy me when "you can't solve the mystery before the protagonist" is given as a criticism of a book where the author clearly didn't intend for you to be able to. It's not a failure on the part of the author if they just weren't writing that kind of book.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Personally I'm enjoying the show featuring books that are "bad" because of poor execution, plot, characters, etc and not "bad" because they're by horrible people saying horrible things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ManMythLegend posted:

Personally I'm enjoying the show featuring books that are "bad" because of poor execution, plot, characters, etc and not "bad" because they're by horrible people saying horrible things.

Yeah, it makes the podcast so much more relaxing to listen to.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
New episode, Who Moved My Cheese?, which is ostensibly a self-help book but sounds more like a particulary demented children's book.

There's been a pretty great string of episodes this year, and I am not sure if it's because their choice of material is stronger or something else.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh man, it's about time that they got to that piece of poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I never quite realized how creepy and twilight zone the parable in that book is

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
When I was getting into D&D in the late 90s, I was buying my first books from a Walden Books (now closed) in my local mall (still clinging to life.) Cheese was bloody everywhere. On a Redwall kick, I mistook it for some kind of book about real mice and started reading while my parents were away. Man was I ever mistaken. Of course, as the saying about Ayn Rand and Tolkein goes; it's probably open to question as to which book about mice a child should read.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh god that section where the author pats himself on the back about how good his parable is was PAINFUL

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I joined a leadership program when I went to college and we had a retreat where we got a whole presentation about Who Moved My Cheese and it was the woooooooorst so this episode was a real treat.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I find I enjoy episodes more when I have read the book they're discussing.

Who Moved My Cheese? was required reading at a small business I worked for. I was their graphic designer, chiefly pre-production of in-house print items. I did not need any sales knowledge or any of that bullshit.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

SirSlarty posted:

I find I enjoy episodes more when I have read the book they're discussing.

Who Moved My Cheese? was required reading at a small business I worked for. I was their graphic designer, chiefly pre-production of in-house print items. I did not need any sales knowledge or any of that bullshit.

That sounds awfully like something a Hem would say.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's amazing how many self-help books come down to "you need to hold yourself responsible for what others do to you".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pope Guilty posted:

It's amazing how many self-help books come down to "you need to hold yourself responsible for what others do to you".

It's a great way to pretend that it's other people's fault when you gently caress them over.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

ZorajitZorajit posted:

That sounds awfully like something a Hem would say.

:haw:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a great way to pretend that it's other people's fault when you gently caress them over.

Gee, I wonder why my boss wants me to read this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

This book's message is literally "You are a rat in a maze surviving thanks to the whims of forces larger than yourself and if you starve it's your fault for not adapting". It's late capitalism in book form.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
What the gently caress is even going on in this book, other than pedophilia and sexual violence

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What the gently caress is even going on in this book, other than pedophilia and sexual violence

The content warning at the top was enough for me to go "you know what? Pass."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Yeah, it sounded pretty terrible. Don't scroll over this if you're queasy:

While being raped, a man bit off a woman's clitoris.

Still, I was getting bored with "cozy mysteries," so I'm glad they're back with unambiguously terrible books.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The guest recommended Wizards First Rule, but perhaps strictly for ball-horror reasons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There's one of those little free libraries by my place and last time I had a look I discovered a copy of Necroscope. I imagine it's only a matter of time before it has a copy of Wild Animus. I don't know if it got much distribution in Canada but I'm sure that plenty of copies found there way up here one way or another.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Am I the only one who can't find a copy of Wild Animus? The only one in the entire world? :smith:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Am I the only one who can't find a copy of Wild Animus? The only one in the entire world? :smith:

I'll send you mine

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I've only seen a copy of Wild Animus once in the wild. It was in a huge bin of children's books at the regional Goodwill facility.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Do you guys just not have Half Price Books where you live?

(Incidentally, I once saw Level 26: Dark Origins there too.)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I've seen it at a thrift store, but I've also seen some of Shapero's elves giving away new copies on my college campus. This was just a few months ago, mind you.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Now I'm stuck trying to piece through whether or not I would want to shame myself by buying an IDEOTV book from an independent bookseller. Do I just blurt out "it's for a project" ala Mr. Friedman?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Now I'm stuck trying to piece through whether or not I would want to shame myself by buying an IDEOTV book from an independent bookseller. Do I just blurt out "it's for a project" ala Mr. Friedman?

Speaking of “it’s for a project,” this week’s episode has J get savagely dunked by someone for reading a Jack Reacher book in public.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Without making eye contact, awkwardly babble for at least 30 seconds about how you listen to this one podcast and don't actually like the book but you still wanted to buy and read it and

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Not in Spain :smith: but I do hit up used English books wherever I can! I've had better luck in rural France with that than I have here, oddly enough.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Speaking of “it’s for a project,” this week’s episode has J get savagely dunked by someone for reading a Jack Reacher book in public.

At least it was just a Reacher book, better to be mocked for that than for reading a Gor book in public.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Drunkboxer posted:

At least it was just a Reacher book, better to be mocked for that than for reading a Gor book in public.

better to be Dad than Daddy

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This one looks like a whopper

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2018/09/30/116-spy-killer/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I liked how there were multiple "DO NOT READ THIS" and "DO NOT BUY THIS" reminders

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Chad Jihad posted:

The guest recommended Wizards First Rule, but perhaps strictly for ball-horror reasons

Somewhere between Gor and Eye of Argon...

I read the whole Black Jewels trilogy as a teen and it's bullshit world still occupies more of my brain space than it has any right to. Realistically I know that if you haven't been exposed to the gruesome sexual violence before than there's nothing else you're going to be able to talk about. But part of me was still disappointed that the drat talking animals don't show up until book two so everyone could get the full blast of saccharine, sentimental family feature lodged right in the middle of all the murderrapes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wherein J and Collision pick a book they used to like because they want to kill their own sacred cows a little: "IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas", a book about writing about music and pop culture.

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2018/10/14/117-iv/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't remember if I read any of Chuck Klosterman's articles in Esquire but if I didn't, I really dodged a loving bullet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gooooddddddd that Britney Spears interview :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm surprised and saddened that nobody in this thread talked about the Vampire$ episode (I am part of the problem), because it rules.