Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Hoodwinker posted:

The extra foolish part about credit-worthiness is that utilization is both an extremely transient and often not the most critical factor in credit score.

My favorite with this beyond the fact that utilization is calculated as a snapshot (so its impact on the score is whatever is reported; once what is reported changes, the score changes. There is no historical utilization that is used for the score) is that /statement/ balances are reported to the bureaus. So as long as you use your card and don't pay the balance off in full before a statement is issued then a balance will be reported to the bureau. But you can still pay that statement balance off in full, and remain in grace, and thus pay no interest. So there is absolutely no reason not to pay it off in full for some contrived idea that you need to have a balance reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Having a zero balance reported on a statement for the month does slightly count against you though right? Essentially the cc company has no info to go on and thinks you didn’t use it compared to say a $50 statement that’s .001 of your credit limit. I could see how people get confused on the “carry a balance” part where they’ve heard a statement balance is better than an empty statement balance.

Of course you’re suppose to pay that part off instead of letting it roll over where you get thrashed by finance charges

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 24, 2018

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

George H.W. oval office posted:

Having a zero balance reported on a statement for the month does slightly count against you though right?
I'm not aware of a negative effect of a 0% utilization, but I am often wrong.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This poo poo is confusing. My credit card schedule is:

Month 1, Day 15 through Month 2, Day 14: This is Statement Period 1

Month 1, Day 30(or 31, or 28 whatever): Credit bureaus take a snapshot of what my current balance is (CURRENT!!!! Not what the statement balance was on Day 14! This amount will never ever be the same as a statement period balance)

Month 2, Day 15: I receive a bill for all charges during Statement Period 1

Month 3, Day 2: My payment for Statement Period 1 is due

I've never had to think about timing my charges or payments in order for my utilization to be above 0% and below 30% or whatever

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Having a zero balance reported on a statement for the month does slightly count against you though right? Essentially the cc company has no info to go on and thinks you didn’t use it compared to say a $50 statement that’s .001 of your credit limit. I could see how people get confused on the “carry a balance” part where they’ve heard a statement balance is better than an empty statement balance.

It doesn't matter to any significant degree. I've had zero balance on some cards for a while in the past, credit score was still fine. The only thing you should worry about is cards being closed due to complete inactivity (the available balance drop will matter).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Toraen posted:

It doesn't matter to any significant degree. I've had zero balance on some cards for a while in the past, credit score was still fine. The only thing you should worry about is cards being closed due to complete inactivity (the available balance drop will matter).

I just lost my longest running card that had been opened when I was 18 because I didn’t use it for a year. It hurts a bit yea.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I just lost my longest running card that had been opened when I was 18 because I didn’t use it for a year. It hurts a bit yea.

Yeah, I started using mine for laundry to insure this doesn't happen.

Do not want to lose an eighteen-year-old credit line from my report.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Of course you’re suppose to pay that part off instead of letting it roll over where you get thrashed by finance charges

Zero utilization shouldn't be a negative, but that might get into the proprietary side of things on what they calculate. Anything below 30% utilization is generally considered good with lower being better. The things they're looking at are total credit you have and total credit available. Both of those are generally "higher is better for the score". Having too much available in credit cards can be a bad thing because underwriters generally look at how much credit is extended when determining what to offer.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This poo poo is confusing. My credit card schedule is:

Month 1, Day 15 through Month 2, Day 14: This is Statement Period 1

Month 1, Day 30(or 31, or 28 whatever): Credit bureaus take a snapshot of what my current balance is (CURRENT!!!! Not what the statement balance was on Day 14! This amount will never ever be the same as a statement period balance)

Month 2, Day 15: I receive a bill for all charges during Statement Period 1

Month 3, Day 2: My payment for Statement Period 1 is due

I've never had to think about timing my charges or payments in order for my utilization to be above 0% and below 30% or whatever

The credit bureaus aren't the ones that gather the information; your creditors report it over. It certainly is possible that a creditor could report a balance other than the statement balance to the bureaus. I have never seen that with my accounts though; they always send an update monthly and it is after they release the latest statement; and it always matches what my statement balance was. There is a period between when the statement period closes and when the statement is created where you could make payments and potentially have the balance reported be less than the statement balance.

But even in the case where they're reporting something other than the statement balance; you can use the card and have balances reported without ever paying a cent of interest.

Edit: The tl;dr is that you shouldn't be timing anything except the due date from your creditor. And you should be paying the statement balance in full by the due date. In the US federal law actually requires that they treat your payment submission date as the posted date as long as it is completed before end of business day.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have two CCs that I don't regularly use, so I have a small recurring bill on each (Netflix and Hulu) that's also set to autopay. Never have to worry about them.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

I'm not aware of a negative effect of a 0% utilization, but I am often wrong.

The absolute optimal credit utilization for FICO scores is like 9%, it has a significant effect like 30 to 40 points compared with 0% or 11-20% There are various credit score simulator as you can play with to estimate the effect.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The absolute optimal credit utilization for FICO scores is like 9%, it has a significant effect like 30 to 40 points compared with 0% or 11-20% There are various credit score simulator as you can play with to estimate the effect.

Just in case someone thinks they need to carry a balance, the credit card company reports the statement balance so if you put any spend on a card and don't pay it off until after the statement cuts it will be reported.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Don’t the credit card companies also report how much you paid in each period? Should be easy to see that you’re using your cards even if you never carry a balance.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Wolfy posted:

Don’t the credit card companies also report how much you paid in each period? Should be easy to see that you’re using your cards even if you never carry a balance.

Not directly, no. Generally they'll report that you paid and if it was on-time, 30 days late, 90 days, etc and they'll report an updated balance (the statement balance generally for a credit card). For installment loans they'll also report the original balance lent. The required minimum payment is also reported.

If someone had snapshots of your credit report at various times they would be able to construct what you would have had to pay to get the balance to what it is; but even that won't tell the whole story with a credit card. If you pay on your credit card before the period ends then your statement balance will be $0 and the amount you charged and paid off will be completely unknown; hypothetically someone could spend up to their credit limit every day and pay it off and by the end of the period have spent and paid off 30x their credit limit but it still gets reported as $0 to the bureaus.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/95otw7/just_borrowed_232k_at_600mo_interest_to_buy_623/?st=jl9ct73m&sh=a3741bc3

...yeah.

(Sorry if it has been posted before.)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

That's pretty awesome.

After reading that, I went and looked at the subreddit for the first time. Every post in there is about nVidia, AMD, Blizzard, Tesla or weed stocks. I was going to ask what kind of dumbass does something like that, but now I know!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:laffo:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tesla just announced they are remaining public. That guy's hosed.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Um, could that actually be good with money by allowing him to sue Tesla or Musk over the tweet and claim damages based upon the borrowed money and expected returns from the $420 price Musk tweeted? I don't know enough about the laws surrounding this to know if that is something he could do or not.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Even if that was a violation of securities law and even if there is a formal cause of action for the individual investor (neither of which are definitely assured) this would mean a long, expensive legal process while he's on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans assuming he cuts his losses now. And assuming there will be a party to recover from once all is said and done. So, no, this is still very BWM even if he wins; he goes from turbofucked to badly hosed.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

quote:

VirtualRay• 16d
Looks like you could buy some FD put spreads or sell FD call spreads that'd pay out 10-1 around the 330 Mark a few weeks out, if you're worried

(Dunno if that'd be a smart move or not though, I'm a total noob here)

wakka54 • 15d
i dont know many of those words

BWM: i dont know many of those words

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
All depends on intent I suspect.

Knowing Musk he on record somewhere saying he’s about to fake a public to private offering to screw short sellers. And then he calls them all pedos.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm sorry I can't post all the images, but BWM/BWL - assuming your $60k wedding is something your friends and family OWE you

https://twitter.com/0lspicykeychain/status/1033361828292771840?s=09

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The saddest part of those stories is the bitter angry person that fabricates them

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sorry I can't post all the images, but BWM/BWL - assuming your $60k wedding is something your friends and family OWE you

I skimmed most of this at first and thought the 2k carriage was, like, a horse-drawn carriage that was going to be part of the wedding. But no, it's a baby carriage. :psyduck:

E: Bad With Money 2018: A local psychic told us to go with the more expensive option, and we thought why the hell not?

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 25, 2018

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TheQuietWilds posted:

Thank you for posting this, made my morning. Naming the baby “Declyn” was the warning sign.

Edit: drat, when the psychic was the least crazy part of the post.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This is more Bad With Luck or Bad With Due Diligence, but

Bought a meth-contaminated house, now facing foreclosure

quote:

My pregnant wife and I bought our first home in Snohomish County, WA in mid-July. The house had previously served as a rental unit, and clearly needed some TLC (new paint, floors, fixtures), but nothing dangerous came back in the inspection, and nothing indicated the house wasn't safe to live in. A few days later we hear from a neighbor that he thinks the last tenant smoked meth in the garage. We paid a licensed company to come out and test the house, and yes it turns out its contaminated to high enough levels to warrant gutting the house to it's joists, replacing all HVAC, appliances, drywall, basically everything. Even if we could afford to do this, we would still need to disclose the issue when selling.

For the time being, we've moved into my in-laws while we search for a rental unit. I should mention that moving into our own space that we can bring our baby home to is one of our top priorities. We certainly appreciate both sets of parents for being willing to take us in, but we haven't been able to be as close and enjoy/endure the pregnancy the way we were expecting to.

We've spoken to a couple of attorneys, and while we are going to engage the sellers I am not fully confident in the outcome of this strategy for us. We have nothing that shows the sellers knew and failed to disclose. We cannot afford to make mortgage payments, rental payments, and lawyer fees for the next few years. This leaves us with quickly-diminishing options. Our nuclear one would be to just walk away from the mortgage (we owe our first payment September 1), enter into foreclosure, and have our credit ruined for (7?) years minimum. Our parents are kind enough to co-sign a rental agreement with us if our credit is ruined, and they even entertained the idea of co-signing on a mortgage. My wife and I have stable income at about $200,000/year, and could pursue saving up enough cash to buy a home outright given enough saving time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9a1o8q/bought_a_methcontaminated_house_now_facing/?st=jl9q6lm4&sh=7f90b328

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That sucks so much.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
There's no such thing as "meth contamination."

They're being taken for a ride because they're credulous idiots.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Whether you believe in meth contamination or not, some states have passed laws regarding meth residues in houses

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/07/01/416452137/buy-a-meth-house-unawares-and-pay-the-health-consequences

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

This idea has been gaining traction largely because a government funded study in New Zealand declared it mostly bullshit (lots money spent on houses where people used meth), but it's still a going concern in the states, right or wrong.

Usually when meth is manufactured, not consumed, on a property though. A meth lab can absolutely be a problem. Someone smoking it in a garage probably doesn't warrant gutting the property, at least if that one study is to be believed.

At this point it sucks to be them in any case. At the very least, in their shoes, I'd get a second opinion.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would bet all the money in my couch the meth testing company is the house stripping company.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I skimmed most of this at first and thought the 2k carriage was, like, a horse-drawn carriage that was going to be part of the wedding. But no, it's a baby carriage. :psyduck:

Didn’t some goon in AI get an insanely expensive baby carriage?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cacafuego posted:

Didn’t some goon in AI get an insanely expensive baby carriage?

Eyebeem and it was a mere $1200

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

TheQuietWilds posted:

13 Reasons Why season 7 sure went to a weird place

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Tweet thread went private. Screenshots?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The wedding shaming facebook group is a reliable source of grade A content. Your wedding may have been expensive, but was it helicopter rappelling horse archery expensive?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It might be the first wedding in history to be actually interesting to watch.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
She and her bridesmaids can all try to hit the rappelling groom and whoever hits him first gets to marry him.

Hopefully he survives becoming a pincushion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Clearly you sit on the horses as the horses are lowered from a moving helicopter and try to hit the fleeing townspeople with arrows.