Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TK-42-1 posted:

Specifically Piter de Vries from the Lynch movie. All the mentats in that film have weird overly bushy eyebrows.

That's totally not why I chose his username many moons ago.

Nope. My eyebrows are of a dignified length and bushiness. I actually think that is because Dino De Laurentiis had big bushy eyebrows late in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I love the way that Brown Widow is so drat disgusting in way that's actually fairly logical. I don't think I can ever look at Spider-man again without getting images of BW trying to clean out his spinneret.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When did Dean decide he hated superscience again? I'd completely forgot that part and thought he was still following in Rusty's academic footsteps.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Mordja posted:

When did Dean decide he hated superscience again? I'd completely forgot that part and thought he was still following in Rusty's academic footsteps.

Since the second half of season 4. He became disillusioned with super science during his internship and then became emo Dean who hates super science and his dad at the start of 5 when he found out he and Hank were clones.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I love the way that Brown Widow is so drat disgusting in way that's actually fairly logical. I don't think I can ever look at Spider-man again without getting images of BW trying to clean out his spinneret.

that disgusted me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Brock asking him if he was loving it was peak Brock

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I imagine Brown Widow really wished the Musical happened after that exact moment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I haven't read all of the spoiler text yet but the Doc jumping out the windows scene was straight from Hudsucker Inc.

I haven't seen Hudsucker Proxy so maybe I'm way off but I read that scene as a riff on Kill Bill. Yesno?

Also lmao that Wilhelm scream right at the beginning. Nobody can resist can they. Or is it just one of the assets in his dream soundtrack?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It was spot on hudsucker proxy but I also thought of the guy who ran at the skyscraper window to show how strong it was and ran right through.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It pisses me off to an INSANE degree that it’s the Brown Widow and not the Brown Recluse because:

A) it’s a real spider
B) he’s not a Widow, he’s not even a Wife!
C) he is actually depicted as somewhat reclusive

but if I had to guess it’s a run on the subtheme of people having no idea about their themes or namesakes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It was spot on hudsucker proxy but I also thought of the guy who ran at the skyscraper window to show how strong it was and ran right through.

A classic

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-01.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bust Rodd posted:

It pisses me off to an INSANE degree that it’s the Brown Widow and not the Brown Recluse because:

A) it’s a real spider

but if I had to guess it’s a run on the subtheme of people having no idea about their themes or namesakes

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Brown_Recluse_(New_Earth)

Also, are we not doing spoiler tags anymore?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For all his ickyness and goofiness, Brown Widow seems to be, much like his obvious pastiche, a scarily competent superhero.

VB-ifiying Spider-man doesn't really need to do much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's weird how Brock is still in the show but now has absolutely nothing to do. He started out as a main character and he's almost an extra at this point. In season 1 who would ever have guessed that 21 would wind up having a bigger role than Brock?

I sort of think it was a mistake to bring him back as a regular.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bust Rodd posted:

A) it’s a real spider

Brown Widows are real, and they're actually becoming a pretty big problem...on the West Coast. He's even got the hourglass right as it's more orange on the Brown Widow than red, but yeah, only the females have that marking.

It's a pity that Mommy Longlegs bought the farm - he'd likely have good chemistry with her, and she could tell him what an idiot he is.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 26, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

SeanBeansShako posted:

There is really no such thing as too much Dr. Z.

Have some of the best hair care product in the world. It’s from my private stash.

Signed,
A completely bald man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Billzasilver posted:

Have some of the best hair care product in the world. It’s from my private stash.

Signed,
A completely bald man

IIRC doesn't he still have the fu manchu stache?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You think it just grows that pointy?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dune references and Brown Widow is Canadian? Hell yeah, I love this episode.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I don't know how well it jives with the rest of what we've learned in this season so far, but the idea popped into my head of Jonas doing the Batman Beyond thing and replacing Blue Morpho's genetic material with his own. "Let me give your bum sperm a little kick, pal," and then he just replaces them with his own somehow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Assuming the cloning tech is built on Jonas' designs (with the aid of the guy in the shack by the mass grave), Jonas was pretty talented at genetics in particular.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all nuts. That episode had some great gags.

Brock just hitting Doc's morphine three times rather than staying with him
Doc removing the glass from his leg and then just hovering there passed out
Helper the receptionist

Plus the Monarch's dream was cool as hell

You're right, whenever dean wasnt on screen the episode was 10/10

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

420 Gank Mid posted:

You're right, whenever dean wasnt on screen the episode was 10/10

I dunno, Dean certainly seems to be coming into his own. That he shows absolutely no fear of the Monarch, but just sheer annoyance, and in the room with three people who are utterly sick of supervillains he's the most effective in getting the Monarch to go away just with a bribe.

As much as Hank is cunning and entrepreneurial, Dean continues to show a remarkable degree of common sense just physically moving away from the clusterfuck that is his family legacy.

Also, a nod that the Ventech HQ should by all rights be condemned from the semi-supernatural shenanigans. (interestingly, no news on whether Action Man survived his stroke. Would be a fitting but sad cop-out given getting him to the hospital was a remarkable display of cooperation between old and new and magic and super-science.)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm kind of glad that Dean now has a well-adjusted mentor figure. Maybe the kid will turn out alright.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Brock and Hatred totally murdered that couple.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RandallODim posted:

Brock and Hatred totally murdered that couple.

I was 100% ready for a Super Troopers style "Swinging German Couple" joke getting into a 4-way with Brock and Hatred but then...:stonk:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just two more ghosts to an already very haunted tower.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was watching part of the Venture Bros marathon on the AS website, and is it possible Entmann was one of the boys in the boys brigade that Phantom Limb and Impossible were part of too? I thought he looked kinda similar to one of those boys from that photo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was watching part of the Venture Bros marathon on the AS website, and is it possible Entmann was one of the boys in the boys brigade that Phantom Limb and Impossible were part of too? I thought he looked kinda similar to one of those boys from that photo.

Entmann was part of the group back then too though, there's the flashback with him in his giant form (which looks like Andre the Giant) and a mind-controlled Triple Threat.

I think there's an implication that being shrunken extended his lifespan.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

Signed,
A completely bald man

A class act that man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Brown widows are absolutely a thing. Had one in my front yard a few days ago that got killed by a wasp after we pissed it off poking at it with a rake handle.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This episode was fantastic. It really seems as if they're finally going full Marvel Comics with their universe and storytelling. In the book Publick says that in the beginning he was afraid to go all-in on that feel because he had just come from both The Tick shows which were full-on superhero worlds, but also mentioned that with modern audience's newfound familiarity with shared universes means they can go that direction. I'm in, frankly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Perry Normal posted:

I don't know how well it jives with the rest of what we've learned in this season so far, but the idea popped into my head of Jonas doing the Batman Beyond thing and replacing Blue Morpho's genetic material with his own. "Let me give your bum sperm a little kick, pal," and then he just replaces them with his own somehow.

What do you mean by "somehow?" It's not like it takes a superscientist to pull the ol' switcheroo with a vial of white goo that isn't visually distinct from any other similar vial of white goo. Here's one likely scenario:

"Well, Morpho, lookie here, it's your sample! It should be easy to boost the... say, is that Scaramantula behind you??" Then the Morpho looks, and as he does, Jonas switches that vial with his own "sample."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Assuming the cloning tech is built on Jonas' designs (with the aid of the guy in the shack by the mass grave), Jonas was pretty talented at genetics in particular.

That's probably true, but Jonas didn't have to be a master geneticist to swap out Morpho's DNA from his sperm and then add in his own, because that's just not necessary to get the desired effect. Here's one likely scenario:

"Well, Morpho, lookie here, it's your sample! It should be easy to boost the... say, is that Scaramantula behind you??" Then the Morpho looks, and as he does, Jonas switches that vial with his own "sample."

And all of this is purely academic anyway, seeing as how in the flashback, Jonas only asks for the Morpho to have his wife swing by the compound. That would seem to indicate (or at least heavily imply) that the Morpho himself didn't come over; only his wife did for a "treatment" of "potent science."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I hope Dean and Sirena stay friends and figure out how to get out of the super science/supervillain life

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jonas switching sperm or genetic wouldn't make sense in the least bit. He even tells the Morpho that it's rarely the man's fault. That's why he needs to evaluate his wife to boost her fertility.

Jonas hosed the dude's wife. It's painfully obvious, and anything else is way over thinking it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mordja posted:

It’s been this decline after he started making shrinky dinks. After he hung out with Doc riding around the conveyor walkways and dealing with operation prom and all that he was sour on it. Then cleansuit/halloween happened and he got the full bore of super science. Now he’s just full on want to be normal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I always thought Perchance to Dean is when he really started to shy away from it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jonas switching sperm or genetic wouldn't make sense in the least bit. He even tells the Morpho that it's rarely the man's fault. That's why he needs to evaluate his wife to boost her fertility.

Jonas hosed the dude's wife. It's painfully obvious, and anything else is way over thinking it.

That's kind-of my point: it doesn't take superscience to knock up a chick. I was riffing with the whole sperm thing simply because someone else brought it up and seemed to suggest that it would require some level of expertise to do what Jonas did... and it doesn't, and that's assuming that they went through the trouble of doing samples and artificial insemination.

But, Jonas saying that it's rarely the man's fault doesn't mean that Jonas thinks that's true. Remember, lines of dialog spoken by fictional characters aren't always canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If we didn't see confirmation on screen then the jury should probably still be out, the writers love to throw us curveballs as established. But nothing's really off the table with Jonas, dude was a scienced-up psychopath with a very poor idea of what constitutes friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just two more ghosts to an already very haunted tower.

Don't get between Brock and game night.