Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*sighs in frustration* all RIGHT I'll rewatch all the Matt Smith episodes, you've twisted my arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fine you've "forced" me too, dammit. What a predicament!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

*sighs in frustration* all RIGHT I'll rewatch all the Matt Smith episodes, you've twisted my arm

*Peter Capaldi voice* Oh, come on now, just wait for the new season, it has to start sometime soon, you can wait.
*Michelle Gomez voice* Why just the Matt Smith episodes? Britbox is so cheap, just watch them all, including the reproductions. :D

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

*Peter Capaldi voice* Oh, come on now, just wait for the new season, it has to start sometime soon, you can wait.
*Michelle Gomez voice* Why just the Matt Smith episodes? Britbox is so cheap, just watch them all, including the reproductions. :D

Is the implication here that 12 and Missy are acting as those stereotypical cartoon angel and devil on your shoulders?

Because I didn't know that was true for anyone else...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There are many great things about Matt Smith, but two that come to mind are:

-He proved that we could have a young guy as the Doctor and he wouldn't be Tennant Part II, plus when the cast Capaldi and now Jodie it really proves that nothing in casting matters, and there are no set trends, we just need Good Doctors

-He wasn't a huge fan like Tennant and Capaldi but became one, so he's now a lifer and we will absolutely see him in future multi-Doctor episodes and Big Finish so the Matt Smith era will go on for like another 40 years :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really wish we'd got a season of Tennant under Moffat. I feel like we'd have got a mellowing/soft reboot of his character like Capaldi did for season 10.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was sad we didn't get a season of Tennant under Moffat too, but I also wouldn't trade the season 5 we did get for anything. To my mind it's still the best season of the revival so far.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Season 5 had a number of really great episodes, though it fumbled often enough that I struggle to share the same consensus as this particular thread has.

Then again, I'm probably a hypocrite because I love season 1 and 2, even though they definitely had a ton of poo poo in them and The Parting of the Ways' plot doesn't really stand up to scrutiny (still the most beautiful regeneration of the whole revival though... so simple... so good).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still think the "best" regeneration is Smith into Capaldi. I mean I love the contrast of Tennant into Smith and how his entire demeanor changes, but I'm a big fan of how 11 goes into the regeneration completely at peace and relaxed, and as a result his actual regeneration is just a quick snap of his body and suddenly he's Peter Capaldi.

That said,"Aw, brilliant!" is up there too :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I like the concept in theory, but in practice it looked extremely cheap. I guess I just wish the effect looked better.

Hopefully Whittaker's regeneration doesn't come for a good while, but I'm very curious to see whether Chibnall continues with the drawn out regenerations that have become common in NuWho or pares it back a little bit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

I was sad we didn't get a season of Tennant under Moffat too, but I also wouldn't trade the season 5 we did get for anything. To my mind it's still the best season of the revival so far.

You're not wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smith is Doctor roughly 4 and a half minutes into his first full episode which still stands put to me as incredible. What I mean is, I absolutely believed he was the Doctor without him doing anything at all.

"Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions and don't go wandering off."

:treeface:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think Capaldi’s speech went on a bit too long, but he deserved it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I think Capaldi’s speech went on a bit too long, but he deserved it.

He's given longer speeches for which he deserved to die.

*side eyeballs The Zygon Inversion*

(For which his character deserves to die, in case there was some ambiguity here.)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Capaldi can read the grocery store and make grand gestures about it and I'd love that episode, as far as I'm concerned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Capaldi talks with his hands so well he practically elevates it to an art form.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The one thing about Matt Smith's tenure that I'm still sad we didn't get was a Master to play off of. Someone that's as mad and wild as he is, just like how Simm played such a good anti-Tennant and Missy was a really great counterbalance to Capaldi.

My ideal Matt Smith Master episode would just be forty minutes of the two improvising increasingly ridiculous ways to defeat each other. Like that bit in Curse of Fatal Death, only there was no preparing whatsoever and they're both just making poo poo up.

...maybe that was the ideal time for a Matt Berry Master, I think he could pull off that sort of role opposite Smith.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

My ideal Matt Smith Master episode would just be forty minutes of the two improvising increasingly ridiculous ways to defeat each other. Like that bit in Curse of Fatal Death, only there was no preparing whatsoever and they're both just making poo poo up.

Ideally, both the Doctor and the Master would be played by Matt Smith in this scenario.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PP8zSTEIw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: The Times is reporting a September 23rd airdate for S11! :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh thank god.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:peanut:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

But that's a Sunday?

And maybe not:

https://twitter.com/JR_Southall/status/1033742812284706816

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 26, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So maybe Oct 6th/7th? There’s words going around they want to take Who off Saturdays, and put it on Sunday nights instead because...?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

To do 10 eps before Dec 25, the latest it could air is Oct 16.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Give us the airdate now, BBC, or we'll press both of the Zygon buttons. Give us the official airdate.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started watching The Leftovers, and boy is it weird to hear Christopher Eccleston talk in an American accent. He does a decent job of it, but he looks so much like Nine when he smiles that it feels like the whole thing is a disguise to get into the internet guy's Dalek vault.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
An airdate of September 23rd puts the finale on November 25th.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Give. me. the. airdate!

Bicyclops posted:

I started watching The Leftovers, and boy is it weird to hear Christopher Eccleston talk in an American accent. He does a decent job of it, but he looks so much like Nine when he smiles that it feels like the whole thing is a disguise to get into the internet guy's Dalek vault.

People raved so much about that show that I finally gave it a shot, and I loving HATED it. God it was awful, I got through to the end of season 1 and I just couldn't take it anymore.

That said, Eccleston was great in it and his individual episode about trying to get the money to save his Church was excellent.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

finally

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

*zagraeus feedback buzz* are you kidding me I will end you

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So...in a few weeks they'll be a thread where we talk about new episodes?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

People raved so much about that show that I finally gave it a shot, and I loving HATED it. God it was awful, I got through to the end of season 1 and I just couldn't take it anymore.

That said, Eccleston was great in it and his individual episode about trying to get the money to save his Church was excellent.

It really feels like a filmed Tom Peralta novel so far and I'm not sure what I feel about it. I'm trying to reserve judgement for the second season when they break away from the novel and start doing their own thing. I'm really just biding my time until I have an airdate.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

If we’re lucky.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

We talked about Aliens of London the other day, that's pretty new

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We talked about Aliens of London the other day, that's pretty new

That episode is thirteen years old - old enough to start writing its own bad Doctor Who fan fiction.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/beep-the-meep

quote:

MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP!

MEEP! MEEP! MEEP MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP MEEP!

MEEP! MEEP MEEP MEEP!

MEEP! MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP! MEEP! MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP!

MEEP! MEEP! MEEP! MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! **

MEEP!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

That episode is thirteen years old - old enough to start writing its own bad Doctor Who fan fiction.

Yep...my stepdaughter is thirteen and she's writing My Hero Academia fanfiction.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If Jodie follows the three year rule, she'll just be getting off the show around the time that "The Empty Child" is old enough to get its driver's license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Yep...my stepdaughter is thirteen and she's writing My Hero Academia fanfiction.

That's entirely normal and fine.... unless she's writing Bakugo/Uraraka fanfiction..... :argh:

Oh God I'm talking about anime now, give me THE AIRDATE

• Locked thread