Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to do more interesting things with simple sines and layers of distortion. Simple saturation isn't enough; I want to explore the kinds of effect chains and parameter modulation that can create complex harmonics and gritty textures out of one single sine.

The problem is, most often I just end up overdoing the saturation part and getting squarewaves, or any sort of movement or time-based effect I add in an attempt to coax weird harmonics ends up a sludgy mess. I can't seem to nail down a process for turning a simple sub bass into an evolving project.

As you might have guessed, this post was heavily-inspired by my recently-rekindled fascination with the DOOM soundtrack. I also have a sneaking suspicion some of my favourite D&B right now is constructed in a similar way - not with mountains of detuned oscillators or FM, from the ground up by bussing out the sub bass to judicious effect chains.

Any ideas for starting points with this kind of thing? Particular time-based effects like phasers, and how to employ them to coax out harmonics/inharmonics from a sine? In what order to stack them against saturation effects?

It's been a while since I watched that GDC talk so I don't recall the details but I think Mick Gordon layered a lot of different signal chains together. He probably introduced a lot of the movement by crossfading or sidechaining between the different layers which, individually, might be fairly static for the most part. I'd also wager that he ended up doing a lot of stuff "in post" by chopping and layering selected bits of the original recordings by hand to form the final riffs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Any of the modulation effects would be best applied after any saturation. Remember that a sine wave by definition won't have any harmonics, those are created entirely by whatever distortion you're adding. Beyond that you may get more useful results by heavily low pass filtering more complex things like detuned saws and then adding distortion and fx to that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Like the guy above me said, try low-passing the sub-bass but add some resonance.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

e:fb, it would help if I actually made sure I read the last page of the thread.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pMDVBkiLso
$3,999

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Right, I know that running directly to a phaser or flanger isn't going to do much to a simple sine, harmonically. So here's the approach I'm starting with: I'm going to throw some of Live's basic saturation - 24dB of Analog Clip mode to start with some simple warmth - at each 'return' track for the sub, then highpass them all immediately after, before throwing more interesting saturation and playing around with time-based effects to create harmonics.

Question about highpassing: What's the most transparent way to do this in Live? HPF Auto Filter set to 120Hz? I see a lot of people using Multiband Dynamics as a simple crossover, is this because it's linear-phase, or 'cleaner' in some way, than using a filter?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, I know that running directly to a phaser or flanger isn't going to do much to a simple sine, harmonically. So here's the approach I'm starting with: I'm going to throw some of Live's basic saturation - 24dB of Analog Clip mode to start with some simple warmth - at each 'return' track for the sub, then highpass them all immediately after, before throwing more interesting saturation and playing around with time-based effects to create harmonics.

Question about highpassing: What's the most transparent way to do this in Live? HPF Auto Filter set to 120Hz? I see a lot of people using Multiband Dynamics as a simple crossover, is this because it's linear-phase, or 'cleaner' in some way, than using a filter?

im not sure that i would highpass before putting things into the chain, gunning for transparency when you're trying to turn a sine wave into a gunky bass sound with only effects. i would just whang the whole raw sine into your nutso chain(s) and aggressively EQ away anything that doesn't work after it all comes out the other end. also don't forget the feedback loops!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The other thing mick does is layer some modulated noise over the sine that is in sync with the sine frequency.

So let's say you have your sine and its at 40hz, about E1 on the keyboard, make it play with a fully open volume envelope (no attack, full decay and sustain, no release) for four bars so you get a nice long note to play with later.

You then layer noise (white, brown, pink all have slightly different characters) on another track, whether you use audio or just the noise out from analog or whatever doesn't matter. Make that go for four bars too.

Put an autopan on this noise track, set the phase to 0, you now have it as a mono tremolo. Set the rate to 40hz, now it pulses in time with the wavelength of the sub, you'll probably need to tweak your mixer level a bit so its not overwhelming the bass.

From here, you can render down both these tracks into a single sample, stick it in Simpler and you have the foundation for a Mick Gordon sine bass sound.

As long as your noise is modulated at the same frequency the initial sine is playing at this should help you get DOOMier, if your root sine is 60hz (C) then set the autopan to that. I'm sure you're already aware if you're into DnB but E1-G#1 are your bread and butter for sub roots, lower and it gets lost, higher and it stops having that 'sub' quality to it.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 18, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What in god's name is this crazy thing: https://reverb.com/item/13948602-max-kohl-helmholtz-keyboard-hybrid-synthesizer-c-1905
Shame it doesn't work so there's no demo.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Anime Reference posted:

What in god's name is this crazy thing: https://reverb.com/item/13948602-max-kohl-helmholtz-keyboard-hybrid-synthesizer-c-1905
Shame it doesn't work so there's no demo.

A very small electric celesta

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

NonzeroCircle posted:

The other thing mick does is layer some modulated noise over the sine that is in sync with the sine frequency.

This is interesting, thanks. I've tried it and ran it through some of the effect chains I created the other night for the sine. One of them in particular has some of the 'scream' qualities present in some of the dronier background noises in the DOOM soundtrack, I can't seem to get any decent 'crunch' and 'twist' out of it with the noise on top though.

Do you think this is possible to do in a synthesizer like Serum or is it one of those things that can only be done through combining the noise and sine through a sampler? I'm thinking maybe using a keytracked LFO to modulate Serum's Noise OSC volume, the issue is getting the keytracking right - Serum's LFOs go up to 100Hz which should well be fast enough provided I'm staying in sub ranges, no?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
You should be able to do it that way too.
I gave it a go earlier and even lower mod rate noise gives it a cool effect. I reinstalled doom earlier so uh, spent more time playing that than synths today!

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
For any Canadians, Moog Audio's started taking preorders for the OP-Z. No price or release date known thus far.

I told myself I was over the hype but I'm weak. I can always cancel (I probably won't!).

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Hey, does anyone here know if the sync out on the Korg volcas and sq-1 is able to send cv clock to eurorack sequencers/dividers etc? Is it compatible?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gorewar posted:

Hey, does anyone here know if the sync out on the Korg volcas and sq-1 is able to send cv clock to eurorack sequencers/dividers etc? Is it compatible?

technically thatd be gate or trigger rather than cv, but yeah a buncha people play euro with them

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gorewar posted:

It works fine. SQ-1 has more options for it like step resolution and steps per pulse. It is such a nice sequencer for euro I just ordered a second one for my setup yesterday.

Volcas sync in/out also work fine too but the resolution is fixed at two steps per pulse I think so you need to use gates instead of trigger to send it a sync signal. (e: just realized this actually allows to introduce swing in a volca sequence by changing the duty cycle of the gate sent to the volca)

They look like toys but they are really capable toys

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 22, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I know the Volca Sample you can set the resolution to I think 1/2 or 1/4 by starting it in setup mode. I can't for the life of me remember how to do that and my manuals are all packed away right now. I have some issues with voltage level to/from my Mother-32s, but I think that's more due to the sequencer on the M32s than anything else. If I'm doing anything that's getting actually recorded I'm usually running MIDI to sync anyway, so it's moot, but yeah you can probably do what you want as long as you check your Volca manual to know what you're outputting/inputting.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yep, you can change that and other possibly useful stuff via secret boot control panel, like having it go up to 600 bpm.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Yes the sample is really great. I downloaded a sample pack with basic waveforms in it that you can loop in a part turning it into a synth voice.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Better and better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUiMIeFnqIA

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This makes me very unhappy.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
groverstudio

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

load-bearing cases will get you every time

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have experience with the volca mixer? It looks nice and small. I currently have a behringer that's too big to live on my computer desk and annoying to plug in whenever I want to use and also has a really bad hum and I hate it. I just want something small with at least three inputs.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think you would be better served with this.

https://mackie.com/products/mix-series

Volca mix unlike the other volcas looks incredibly lacking for the price.

If you want something smaller there are also a few micro mixer but I would only recommend them as portable options

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think you would be better served with this.

https://mackie.com/products/mix-series

Volca mix unlike the other volcas looks incredibly lacking for the price.

If you want something smaller there are also a few micro mixer but I would only recommend them as portable options

I’d also throw in endorsements for competing Soundcraft and Yamaha mixers. They’re all generally good and have slightly different features/inputs and some will be on sale at different times so look around.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Oldstench posted:

load-bearing cases will get you every time

wood isn't that expensive jeez

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

This makes me very unhappy.

"Wait, what's wrong with this? The cables are not plugged in, is that it? Or is it - AAAAAAAAAH"

Load-bearing cardboard indeed. Did anyone tell this person that their robot fart noise factory is more likely to be triangle shirt waist factory?

edit: triangle shirt wave :v: :gonk:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cardboard cases are pretty strong tbh. Many people - divkid, mylar - have used them in the past. With a good amount of tape and good design, they can last a long while. Mylar used to play live with his and lug it across country. When cases cost hundreds, a cardboard rig means more money for modules!

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I can see a few poking out, but you just know every single one of those is using a flying bus cable

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I just used a bunch of ATX supplies what’s the difference

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Plavski posted:

Cardboard cases are pretty strong tbh. Many people - divkid, mylar - have used them in the past. With a good amount of tape and good design, they can last a long while. Mylar used to play live with his and lug it across country. When cases cost hundreds, a cardboard rig means more money for modules!

Cases may cost hundreds but a couple of 1x2 lengths of wood from home depot might cost $20 at most. They'll even cut the wood per your measurements for free!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Gorewar posted:

Cases may cost hundreds but a couple of 1x2 lengths of wood from home depot might cost $20 at most. They'll even cut the wood per your measurements for free!

Just FYI those cuts are not precise and if you try to make a box using wood cut by a dude at home depot it will definitely be lopsided

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My HS-60 (Juno-106 wearing a mustache and glasses) has been acting up lately and at first I was worried it might be the infamous filter chip issue, but I ran through some test procedures to isolate the problem and discovered that all six voices were getting distorted and crackly, and narrowed it down to the output jacks and level switch combined with the volume knob all being dirty (flipping the output level switch or turning the volume knob caused crackling and volume dropouts), so I finally got around to hitting the switches, sliders, knobs and jacks with a spritz of Deoxit and I'm happy to say it sounds rich and beautiful and is still full of that creamy 80's Roland analog goodness. :unsmith:

My next course of action is to eventually order six chip sockets for the filter chip mini-boards, unsolder them from the board, soak them all in acetone to remove the faulty epoxy coatings (which become conductive as they age and start shorting out the chips, causing the filters-going-bad issue), and then reseat them into the new sockets making for easy removal & re-cleaning or replacement in the future if one of them does still crap out after removing the epoxy (if you're thorough getting the epoxy off, it shouldn't happen, but sometimes you can miss a tiny flake stuck on one of the traces on the filter board).

Once I futureproof the filter chips, I may look at getting the Kiwi-106 upgrade kit that adds a sequencer/arp/chord generator and more modulation options, iincluding the ability to modulate PW by the envelope (the removal of the arp and ability to modulatie pulse width with the envelope are the two biggest features it loses out on vs. the Juno-6/60)

toadee posted:

Just FYI those cuts are not precise and if you try to make a box using wood cut by a dude at home depot it will definitely be lopsided

More importantly, the wood ain't the pricey part of any case, it's the power supply. If someone designed, built and sold a decent cheap PSU that didn't require a wallwart, and some cheap rails, those would allow you to DIY up a case waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. But even the DIY case poo poo Doepfer and others sell costs a loving mint, like $60 for a pair of 84 HP rails and over $100 for a cheap lovely PSU that's basically a wall-wart and a bus board with a socket to plug the wall-wart into. :psyduck:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 26, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Since we don't really have a sampling thread, figured I would post this shameless self-plug here. The website Tracklib.com had its first Beat Battle Competition where they offered up two songs for free download that users could flip and submit on instagram. We were only allowed a 30 second upload which isn't very much time but I definitely had fun with it. The winner gets a free license for the track and a bunch of download credits. I decided to flip the track Syrenhortensia by Chicago Hartley. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm9bd1tgrGF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=1itizlr2mzp3x

For those that don't know, Tracklib is an online sample licensing service. They work with labels and acquire the rights to license their catalog for an agreed-upon license fee and royalty structure per song. The licensing is broken up into three categories: A ($2500), B ($500), and C($50) and the royalties range from 2%-50% depending on the length of the sample and category. I know the A & B prices look crazy, but 99% of their library are category C licenses and they have thousands of songs. They partnered with Eric Sermon from EPMD and Prince Paul and I think its a pretty cool idea to try and keep sampling alive.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjvnW83KBI

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Have an I/O and live setup question for everyone.

Right now, I've got a Digitakt (stereo), Analog Four MK2 (stereo), and TB-03 (mono) that I've been plugging into my UAD Apollo Twin, which has two mic/line inputs. Since I have so many channels, I was thinking about getting a cheap analog mixer, running the synths/drums through that, and sending a summed mix to the Apollo. Seems like the cheapest way, and I think folks here have recommended that route as a cheap way to get going.

Option 1: ($) Analog 8 channel mixer, send to UAD (or send UAD to mixer and go to monitor from there)
Option 2: ($$) Get something like a Roland MX-1 as a slightly more integrated mixer
Option 3: ($$$) get more I/O in the form of an interface

My question - are there any disadvantages to this? Also, any recommendations on what should send to the monitors, the UAD or the mixer? Thanks!!!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

dj bobby bieber posted:

Right now, I've got a Digitakt (stereo), Analog Four MK2 (stereo), and TB-03 (mono) that I've been plugging into my UAD Apollo Twin, which has two mic/line inputs. Since I have so many channels, I was thinking about getting a cheap analog mixer, running the synths/drums through that, and sending a summed mix to the Apollo. Seems like the cheapest way, and I think folks here have recommended that route as a cheap way to get going.

Option 1: ($) Analog 8 channel mixer, send to UAD (or send UAD to mixer and go to monitor from there)
Option 2: ($$) Get something like a Roland MX-1 as a slightly more integrated mixer

My question - are there any disadvantages to this? Also, any recommendations on what should send to the monitors, the UAD or the mixer? Thanks!!!

Option 1 or 2 will definitely give you more control in a live setting, Option 3 is a little less exciting with Overbridge on the Digitakt

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I have an 8ch behringer rack mixer and i just set my compter monitor and sound card on top of it. Cheap, pretty space efficient and i only care about levels on the channels anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If last year was the year of the sequencer then this year is deffo the year of the groovebox :yum:

dj bobby bieber posted:

Option 3 can be one $ if you cop a used ADC for a nice price. Behringer ada8000 can usually be had for under $100, an old Fostex probably well under $100. Run it in to the twin over ADAT. This way you wouldn't necessarily have to adjust your workflow if you like ITB.