Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sydin posted:

Agreed that the Avallach and Tir Na Lia stuff is bad, particularly being introduced to and turning Ge'els to your side in the span of 5 minutes of gameplay. All of Act III is pretty clearly rushed for release but that stuck out the most. I also wish there had been a bit more variety in the section where you're traveling between worlds. Not the highest priority by any means but the cliche "desert world/water world/poison world" stuff felt weak, particularly after Geralt can ask Ciri about other worlds and she rattles off some pretty cool stuff she's seen.

As for Reasons of State only the Bond villain scene bothered me. Roche is a patriot but also a pragmatist, and I buy that he'd pick the most sure way for Temeria to live on, even if it means letting the rest of the Northern realms get turbofucked by Nilfgaard. Thaler is a spy and a diplomat so him working some skullduggery to revive his nation is right up his alley. I also got the sense Dijkstra planned to double cross them from the start because he knew their interests would ultimately conflict, but he needed their resources and expertise to sure up the plan, particularly prior to Geralt stumbling into the plot and doing what he does. The double cross itself was incredibly dumb though and could have been really easily remedied by having Dijkstra pull Geralt aside just before the assassination, explain what's going on, and frame the choice less as "do you want to abandon your comrades to death on the spot" and more "are you willing to sacrifice the entire rest of the North to save just Temeria".

I really wish CDPR would have done an enhanced edition style reformat to Witcher 3 the way they did for 1 and 2, particularly with how well they expanded on Act 3 in Assassins of Kings. Roche's path in 2 has one of my favourite Geralt-isms in the franchise: "Everything's better with a dash of bird guano!"

Granted the base game is certainly good enough and the DLC is incredible so an enhanced edition isn't as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Really hate to break this to you now, but you actually can do this...

:negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Troll cave on Faroe, is that an inactive Portal archway inside it, or just a bit of set dressing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm reading Lady of the Lake. It's a shame how much Witcher 3 wastes chances to mess around with Fringilla Vigo, she a d Geralt are fun in this book. In the game she's just a reskinned model of Ves with the same voice actress.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Sydin posted:

Agreed that the Avallach and Tir Na Lia stuff is bad, particularly being introduced to and turning Ge'els to your side in the span of 5 minutes of gameplay. All of Act III is pretty clearly rushed for release but that stuck out the most. I

I've always had the opposite impression actually. It always seemed to me like Act III wasn't actually intended to be in the game at all. Like the whole story leads up to the battle at Kaer Morhen. Pretty much the whole cast completes their character arc there, The main quest makes you go to every place beforehand, and it has the mandatory "All the past characters team up to fight the big baddie" part. I feel like they were told the game wasn't long enough or something so they excised some bits and made them act III.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shinjobi posted:

If you said Iron Fist I'd be panicking.

If it's the other marvel stuff I'm really not worried. If I'm worried about anything, it's the budget for action sequences. There doesn't need to be a ton of them, mind you, but lovely action takes me out of a show quicker than anything else.

Iron fist was amazingly dull.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you saying that a comic book garbage product was bad? Shocking. Unfortunately the Witcher show is going to be as bad as that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got to admit, I had a hearty nerd chuckle when I found the letter from Perrault and Sons offering discount princess services in the Toad Prince sewer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

steinrokkan posted:

Are you saying that a comic book garbage product was bad? Shocking. Unfortunately the Witcher show is going to be as bad as that.

Fantasy is a trash genre and we got something decent out of it, who knows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://thegww.com/exclusive-witcher-audition-tapes-for-the-roles-of-geralt-and-yennefer/

Some of the audition tapes for the TV series. Also, apparently Geralt is going to be based more on his sarcastic video game incarnation than on his mopey goony book version.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wish that there was an open world game that could hold a candle to this game. Dragon Age: Inquisition came close-ish, but there's nothing that scratches the itch as well and I've played through W3 like 5 times already.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Inquisition "came close"? WTF, that game was a god drat garbage fire, and one of the most regrettable game purchases I ever made. Also not open world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NeurosisHead posted:

I wish that there was an open world game that could hold a candle to this game. Dragon Age: Inquisition came close-ish, but there's nothing that scratches the itch as well and I've played through W3 like 5 times already.

If you're on PS4 give Horizon Zero Dawn a whirl. It's Guerrilla Games first open world game and it's excellent. Some of the talent behind New Vegas and Witcher 3 helped with development.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Gothic 2 :eng101:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I thought Assassins Creed Origins scratched the itch pretty well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

steinrokkan posted:

Inquisition "came close"? WTF, that game was a god drat garbage fire, and one of the most regrettable game purchases I ever made. Also not open world.

I don't share your opinion, but I don't begrudge you it either. I liked it. I didn't like plenty of parts of it, but it was good enough for a hundred hours of my life for my tastes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you're on PS4 give Horizon Zero Dawn a whirl. It's Guerrilla Games first open world game and it's excellent. Some of the talent behind New Vegas and Witcher 3 helped with development.

Almost bought a PS4 just for that game, actually.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://thegww.com/exclusive-witcher-audition-tapes-for-the-roles-of-geralt-and-yennefer/

Some of the audition tapes for the TV series. Also, apparently Geralt is going to be based more on his sarcastic video game incarnation than on his mopey goony book version.

I really like the Yennefer read here, but something about the Geralt read feels off. Maybe a little too flat?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m playing through Horizon Zero Dawn right now and it’s definitely a good game. It, along with the Uncharted games, were the reason we bought a PS4 and it was a good decision, so if you’re thinking of getting one I’d say go for it.
The main character of HZD, Aloy, is fantastic. She has attitude like Ciri and takes poo poo from no one. The world has a rich backstory and the reveals along the way of the main storyline have really engaged me. Plus you fight robodinosaurs with spear and bows and arrows. What’s not to love?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I really like the Yennefer read here, but something about the Geralt read feels off. Maybe a little too flat?

He sounds like he's pushing the low register a little too hard. But he's not confirmed yet so other auditions might be better.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hey, a buddy of mine just got the ciri dies ending and would like to see the other one. He drank with her and skipped the emperor meeting. Does he have to go all the way back to the sorceresses decision? I am having trouble figuring out if it needs to be +1 or 0 in terms of the positive vs negative results of the decisions because im not sure if skipping the meeting with emhyr counts as a strike.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you skip a chance to be a good dad it doesn't count against you but it also means you need to be careful during the other times you're a good dad because they weigh more.

First time I went through the game I skipped taking her to see Emhyr, drank with her and went to the Lodge meeting with her. I also trashed the lab and went to Skjall's grave so I was 50/50 but I still got the Witcher ending.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you skip a chance to be a good dad it doesn't count against you but it also means you need to be careful during the other times you're a good dad because they weigh more.

First time I went through the game I skipped taking her to see Emhyr, drank with her and went to the Lodge meeting with her. I also trashed the lab and went to Skjall's grave so I was 50/50 but I still got the Witcher ending.

Yeah he wants to replay it but i don't want to tell him to redo it unless I'm certain he will get the good ending. So you for sure got ciri witcher with just skjall, trashing the lab, and skipping Emyhr?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wait, is drinking with her after Vesemir dies the good dad decision? I thought getting in a snowball fight was the correct choice there?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait, is drinking with her after Vesemir dies the good dad decision? I thought getting in a snowball fight was the correct choice there?

Drinking is bad. the issue is if skipping the emperor is a -1 or 0. You need to be +1 at the end if you have all 5 choices, but I was not sure if skipping the meeting means the games rounds up in the calculation and a 0 differential gets witcher ciri.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snowball fight is good, drinking your sorrows is bad.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah he wants to replay it but i don't want to tell him to redo it unless I'm certain he will get the good ending. So you for sure got ciri witcher with just skjall, trashing the lab, and skipping Emyhr?

I'm positive. Like I said, skipping Emhyr doesn't count against you, it just drops your number of good dad chances from 5 to 4 and you need to do at least 2 good dad moments to make up for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Drinking is bad. the issue is if skipping the emperor is a -1 or 0. You need to be +1 at the end if you have all 5 choices, but I was not sure if skipping the meeting means the games rounds up in the calculation and a 0 differential gets witcher ciri.
Oh okay, glad I'm not crazy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Thanks, sorry for asking for clarification but id feel like an rear end if i made him re-do it and she dies again

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You were right the first time.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Skipping Emhyr is neutral, bad is accepting Emhyr's cash prize for delivering Ciri.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Moose-Alini posted:

I thought Assassins Creed Origins scratched the itch pretty well.

Origins was a really good game, but you can tell they took a few hints from W3. Autopilot horses, and investigation zones sort of like using Witcher senses to figure stuff out. I can't blame them, really.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I recently started another playthrough of this game. It's my 3rd one, but it's been a while. Has anybody ever compiled a list of crafting items that are okay to sell / that you shouldn't ever sell?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I recently started another playthrough of this game. It's my 3rd one, but it's been a while. Has anybody ever compiled a list of crafting items that are okay to sell / that you shouldn't ever sell?

Just keep everything in the crafting filter, you'll never know when you need some rope or poo poo and the pennies you get from selling it all isn't really worth it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Alchenar posted:

Just keep everything in the crafting filter, you'll never know when you need some rope or poo poo and the pennies you get from selling it all isn't really worth it.

I'm more talking about monster butts and hats, which can be worth quite a lot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Helith posted:

I’m playing through Horizon Zero Dawn right now and it’s definitely a good game. It, along with the Uncharted games, were the reason we bought a PS4 and it was a good decision, so if you’re thinking of getting one I’d say go for it.
The main character of HZD, Aloy, is fantastic. She has attitude like Ciri and takes poo poo from no one. The world has a rich backstory and the reveals along the way of the main storyline have really engaged me. Plus you fight robodinosaurs with spear and bows and arrows. What’s not to love?

I’ll Nth the HZD recommendations, I’ve been binging it for the past few weeks too. It doesn’t quite hit the “every sidequest is amazing” notes that W3 does, but that’s about the only bad thing I have to say about it. The main quest line is great, and revealing the world building stuff is fantastically done. This is the only game I’ve ever played where I’ve ever been excited to find audio logs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HZD is really really good and I'm pumped for the sequel because you can tell there is a poo poo ton of potential in that team.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ll Nth the HZD recommendations, I’ve been binging it for the past few weeks too. It doesn’t quite hit the “every sidequest is amazing” notes that W3 does, but that’s about the only bad thing I have to say about it. The main quest line is great, and revealing the world building stuff is fantastically done. This is the only game I’ve ever played where I’ve ever been excited to find audio logs.

Agreeing with this. While not every side-quest is a winner,there are a few pretty good ones. And this game is one of the few that actually has good collectables. I remember the storyline around the Vantage Points nearly reducing me to tears.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sell black pearls and emerald dust to make mad money.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sell black pearls and emerald dust to make mad money.
Just dont admit to any bivalve trading.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Just dont admit to any bivalve trading.

Of course not, the Witcher's code forbids it!

For real though, wraiths, sirens and rare swords are your best source of income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just an FYI to the thread - CDPR just dropped the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay video if you're interested in their new game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF9GgrY9c0