Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Krycek posted:

I have avatars to give away. The first 5 people to quote this, I will buy them an avatar. The catch? I get to pick the avatar. I have a collection of avatars from a very special time in this thread's history and one could be yours. So if you've been itching to get rid of that Trump Lover AV, but are too cheap to help lowtax, here is your chance.

Coming in late but hoping for another sinking ship! Go for broke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

We are grateful for your service, commando o9

They don't call me "Desktop Commander" for nothing! :wtchris:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Neltharak posted:

I was browsing nicer places on reddit, look who i found. Mr. Positivity himself, interacting with sane people.

Dealing with people outside the cult is difficult, some adaptation is required. :ohdear:

Keep citizens away from my DND, i shudder to think how they would be at a table.

Citizen : What do you mean, i got poisoned ?

DM : Well, that giant scorpion had a pretty nasty venom and you failed your save, so you're poisoned. Take 2 CON damage.

Citizen: That's not the right interpretation. Clearly this scorpion stinger could not possibly bypass my full plate armor.

DM: Well he did, he rolled a 20. Which reminds me, i forgot to tack on crit damage, that's an extra 11.

Citizen: That is wrong, and you are wrong, here, look at this reddit post a friend made, he's saying scorpions totally don't have venom, so i don't take damage.

DM : ...

The sad thing is i can see this happening in a game.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
New RTX cards aren't gonna fix poo poo in SC btw. Latest benchmarks that were run on them by tech groups show a modest 20% improvement over current gen cards. Where they will really shine are on engines that are specifically built to take advantage of the new tech they offer (no games currently, first one will be the upcoming Battlefield I believe). This will allow the advertised 60-100% boost, raytracing, etc.

So for Star Citizen to take advantage of the new RTX cards, they will need to rebuild the engine from the ground up. Good luck with that. Won't stop Shitizens from dropping $1.5K on the cards though hoping the 7 year old CryEngine 3 will somehow start supporting newest tech.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 26, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Rad Russian posted:

New RTX cards aren't gonna fix poo poo in SC btw. Latest benchmarks that were run on them by tech groups show a modest 20% improvement over current gen cards. Where they will really shine are on engines that are specifically built to take advantage of the new tech they offer (no games currently, first one will be the upcoming Battlefield I believe). This will allow the advertised 60-100% boost, raytracing, etc.

So for Star Citizen to take advantage of the new RTX cards, they will need to rebuild the engine from the ground up. Good luck with that. Won't stop Shitizens from dropping $1.5K on the cards though hoping the 7 year old CryEngine 3 will somehow start supporting newest tech.

Gaijin released a video of their engine running at 90-120fps in 4k but they were only using ray tracing for global illumination, not shadows or reflections. I'm cautiously optimistic for what well optimized engines can do with this tech but nothing is ever going to save SC from being a huge mess.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Contingency posted:

Thanks--the Zappos case cited is somewhat relevant--http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1152&context=historical
Basically, Zappos had a breach and they used their site's ToS to force victims into arbitration. The courts disagreed for a couple reasons:
Terms changed without user acknowledgment--not applicable to RSI since they make you acknowledge your acceptance.
Unilateral right to change the ToS. Basically, Zappos said in their ToS that they could change the terms at any time. As a consequence, binding arbitration was only binding upon users since Zappos could write themselves out of it and the judge decided the arbitration clause could be thrown out as it was an illusory promise. I skimmed through the current ToS and didn't see a similar "we can change the agreement whenever" statement.

Thanks. Sounds like the matter of "illusory promise" only gets considered for farfetching things like that "change the ToS whenever we like", not to a vague allusion to an uncertain release date.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Enjoy the AVs.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Krycek posted:

Enjoy the AVs.

Now this AV is the stuff
This is how we have fun with jpegs in this forum

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Please pledge more
Only 1999$ to enjoy the full benefits of LTI cash only

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

GameRant: How to Play Star Citizen for Free Right Now

quote:

Star Citizen’s development cycle has been plagued with controversy, most recently dealing with fans issuing refund requests. One disgruntled backer of the crowdfunded game took developer Cloud Imperium Games Corporation to court over a refund request that the company denied.

Many fans have asked for refunds from the company due to the slow progress of updates and fans’ lack of faith that the game will ever come out. However, Cloud Imperium won the court case against the player and can now deny refunds outright. Hopefully, prospective fans will use the Free Fly event to see if Star Citizen is worth spending money on or not.
Star Citizen is currently in development, but lacks an official release date.

First and only comment:

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t

Krycek posted:

Enjoy the AVs.
Thanks! I do like it.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Joeblob better be getting paid.

Imagine shilling for a game that hard and not getting something for it. Just the time it would take to sign up for a free account on all those different sites would be more than enough for me to just say "gently caress it, you either like SC or you don't, w/e IDGAF." But I'm a lazy, goon fud, refundtard with no dedication to the cause.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 26, 2018

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, sometimes people buy an SSD strictly for quick loads during gaming. Why can SC not be installed on one?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Christ, what an insufferable tool.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, sometimes people buy an SSD strictly for quick loads during gaming. Why can SC not be installed on one?

He said you are required to install it on one, not that you cannot do it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It says DO install to an SSD or you will be stuck waiting half a hour or however long SC will take on a 7200 rpm hard drive.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Imagine having a super fast and expensive SSD with a probably limited capacity ( 256-512 GB unless you're rich and can afford 1 TB+ ).

And now imagine filling 42 GB of your precious SSD's space with a non-game that is glitchy, barely playable and has a low framerate with doors, ramps and ladders out to kill you as your character is suffering from wankiness.

So yeah, nope. Not installing that crap on your SSD is the right choise.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
I'll say it otherwise: if you can bear with the bad game and horrible framerate, you can definitely bear with long loading times.

If you cannot bear the loading times to the point you need to install the game on an SSD, don't worry, you'll uninstall the game soon anyways cause it's crap.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I installed it only whatever regular old hard drive I had because I couldn't be bothered to clear 30g of my SSD, and it only took 6 minutes to get into the game after clicking start. Which is better than I expected, but still terrible because I can't figure out what it's spending 6 minutes doing.

The game did nothing to sell itself, so I'm not sure why they're having a free fly weekend. I found a men's room with a high voltage warning that was intriguing that I couldn't figure out how to get into, then I tried to find the ship launching but didn't know where it was, but I did find an airlock. Turns out you now magically put an a space suit when opening an airlock which was disappointing. I didn't see any ships to steal so I flew around the rings for a while, then realized I was way far from the door and quit rather than flying back.

It had some pretty moments, like when I found a window looking out over the rings, but everything inside the ship was utterly generic and grey. They should replace all the walls with the indestructible glass they use for cockpits so there's something to look at.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AngusPodgorny posted:

The game did nothing to sell itself, so I'm not sure why they're having a free fly weekend.
I think this falls under the cargo cult clause, where other games have free weekends, so they do as well.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I've always suspected the have more to do with fluffing their "backer" numbers. Especially if you can't fly all the free ships of the weekend, with your existing account?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I've always suspected the have more to do with fluffing their "backer" numbers. Especially if you can't fly all the free ships of the weekend, with your existing account?

Bingo! :eng101:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I have created a new account, simply to download and see what all the fuss is about.

I haven't actually ever downloaded, installed, or even attempted to 'play' any portion of this mess before, and I was an original Kickstarter backer

Will document the steps and the hilarious moments up until I uninstall

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Blue On Blue posted:

I have created a new account, simply to download and see what all the fuss is about.

I haven't actually ever downloaded, installed, or even attempted to 'play' any portion of this mess before, and I was an original Kickstarter backer

Will document the steps and the hilarious moments up until I uninstall

It's the best game ever, you'll see

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

First step, account created and logged into the official website

This should be a harbinger of things to come...

Nothing like being begged to pledge right off the hop

Also enjoying how the top half of the main screen is suddenly bombarded with 'click to give us your left kidney' tabs, which I will not be clicking

I now downloaded 11gb for the main game files in a pretty good time, came back expecting the game to start booting up, nope now it's downloading a further 32gb :psyboom:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Quavers posted:

...and if it's not the best game ever, it will definitely be the best game ever after the next patch. Always after the next patch, mind you. Keep pledging!

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Blue On Blue posted:

"We went out of our way to do YOU the favour of logging YOU in, the least YOU could do to pay us back would be to slap down $200 for a jpeg."

MisterBishop
Sep 2, 2011

Nooby engineer

Blue On Blue posted:

Also enjoying how the top half of the main screen is suddenly bombarded with 'click to give us your left kidney' tabs, which I will not be clicking

I now downloaded 11gb for the main game files in a pretty good time, came back expecting the game to start booting up, nope now it's downloading a further 32gb :psyboom:

I got that far and then said "gently caress it" and (manually) uninstalled. I wanted to see the shitshow first-hand, but it's not worth it. Get a refund (of your lost time).

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Spiderdrake posted:

I think this falls under the cargo cult clause, where other games have free weekends, so they do as well.

Yeah, this.

Other games (not to be mentioned) have version numbers like 3.0, so SC has 3.0
Other games have Alphas, so SC has an alpha, definition be damned.
Other games have graphical assets, so SC has graphical assets.
Other games have their own conventions, so SC has its own conventions.
Other games have gameplay, so...

OK, no analogy is perfect.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 27, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Blue On Blue posted:

Well if they ask you after you've tried the game they'll be too late.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’ll never stop being dumbstruck at the whale talking point that the “game” already has more content than most AAA titles. Like, do they actually believe that?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well here goes

I loaded in after almost 2 hours of downloading, had to click through like 3 EULA's and 'if you do anything but loving play we will sue you' notes

Load went quickly, maybe 30-45 seconds into the main menu,

Click the star marine thingy, joined a match in about 30 seconds.

Impressions from star marine;

1) It's so clunky and janky feeling, every little movement is like someone has poured molasses allover you and then freeze dried it.

2) Shot one guy with a shotgun and he died, yay, shot another guy 5 times with the same shot gun, he didn't die, yay?

3) Went outside with a sniper rifle, it was pretty meh... killed 2 fools and then was like ok what's next

4) Struggling with stutters and fps drops constantly, never really felt 'smooth' almost like the entire thing is running at 30 fps capped at 15, and then a stutter hits and you drop to 1 fps

5) background music that crobbers probably paid an orchestra a million bucks to make is loud as gently caress

After the round ended I JUST HAD TO try to the live universe

Impressions:

1) Loading was again about 30 seconds

2) Woke up in my bed, had to hit H to wake up, promptly spent the next 20 seconds staring at my own crotch as my guy make the slowest wake up animation ever

3) For the gently caress of it I climbed onto my bed, and my head promptly punched through the hull of the space port, where I then died instantly

4) Respawned on the bed and did another 15 second immersion wake up

5) walked around, everything is so bland and generic, and actually for all the time and effort they spent making it look bleeding edge it's pretty meh to walk around in

6) found the ship computer thingy, requested a mining ship

7) stumbled into a gun store? the lady at the desk gave me a canned 'hello' speech, then stood there staring through my soul with he dead lifeless eyes

8) found my ship, wandered around it looking for a way to get in, finally found the ladder and using the powers of my MIND THOUGHTS opened it up

9) got in ship, started it, flew around, for some reason the sounds of the ship from inside are super loud, like the gear retracting has a very 1940's WIRRRRR SQUEEEEK WIZZZZ POPOPOPOPOPOP SLAM CLUNK to it, this is the future lol

10) fast travelled or whatever it's called to delmar? daymar? delamar whatever, looked at the planet and there was zero sign of life anywhere or any indication of what to do next, so i quit

11) again the music is loud as gently caress and supposed to instill this sense of being in a super cool future movie like blade runner, but instead you're just like man shut the gently caress up I can't hear anything

that's my story, now to uninstall the most underwhelming free play demo of this century

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/ZuAtb9T.gifv

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ll never stop being dumbstruck at the whale talking point that the “game” already has more content than most AAA titles. Like, do they actually believe that?
We don't really know. It's possible they're just repeating talking points from the shills and turf, but it does also seem like a lot of the whales
A) don't actually play star citizen (there are a lot of quotes of them saying they don't want to play til patch x.y, which has feature z, which will save the game)
B) don't actually play AAA games
C) have rich imaginations and a desire to share them with the world from their dark corners
D) want to post on reddit to fulfill their urge to C without A or B

Star Citizen is just very, very strange

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

That murder beast child will rule over those three with an iron fist.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Here's a job for you MoMA

Paralegal
Cloud Imperium Games - Manchester

Foundry 42 are looking for a reliable and proactive Paralegal to join their rapidly expanding company. The Paralegal will use established processes and procedures to provide support to the legal department. The role requires someone with the ability to coordinate various tasks in a timely manner.

Main Duties and Responsibilities

Draft statements of work based on purchase orders as well as other standard agreements;
Consolidate amended contracts;
Administer and file license agreements, especially with respect to payment of fees and renewal;
Administer insurance contracts, handle renewal process;
List and administer register IP (trademarks, copyrights, domains etc.), especially with respect to payment of fees and renewal;
Administer and list insurance contracts especially with respect to payment of fees and renewal;
Support business in drafting presentations, collecting business data, business research;
Support legal department communications: calendaring and appointments, sort and process incoming mail (electronic and physical);
Communication with authorities (courts, Companies House);
Notarization;
Perform any other delegated duties considered appropriate in line with the role.

Experience and skills

Diploma in Paralegal Studies;
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Confident in communicating at all levels within the organisation;
Strong understanding and respect for confidentiality;
Exceptional attention to detail and high levels of accuracy;
Time management skills with an ability to work to deadlines;
Exceptional organisational ability, able to work in a fast-paced environment;
Proactive attitude, takes initiative to contribute effectively to the legal department;
Research and analytical skills;
Administration and IT skills;
Ability to work independently and also part of a team.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/Cloud-Imperium-Games-jobs-in-Manchester?vjk=6c2e6113c4fd9c7c

All the other (real) vacancies can be found here:
https://aswift.com/job-search/?parent=&industry=&job_title=cloud+imperium&cs_=Search

The vacancies on the CIG website are bogus and they've been stripping them down over the last few weeks.

A Lead Facial Animator can apply for a job in Derby and probably get offered it in Wilmslow.

Consolidation is in effect.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SomethingJones posted:

Here's a job for you MoMA

Paralegal
Cloud Imperium Games - Manchester

the heartbreaking and sickening truths of moma's absence revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Quavers posted:

This is an “Am I too stupid to play Star Citizen?” redux

Random streamer tries Star Marine.

He tries the Persistent Universe.

He tries again.

And again.

Now, he has a Citizen tour guide with him. Listen to the interactions as the noob explains his inability to open doors because he’s trapped in his spawn room.

“Don’t worry about that. That’s (door opening in year 6) a work in progress. A lot of things are a work in progress. But a lot of things are just AMBITIOUS and incredibly beautiful unlike any other game I’ve ever experienced..”

His friendly guide goes on while the streamer clicks ineffectually on the door. Trapped. His guide attempts to free him. It fails. Fifteen minutes later, he exits to menu.

Three hours and twenty minutes later, he tries a fourth time.

The server worse than ever, he exits to menu.

And again.

This time four hours into his stream, he manages to escape the spawn room. His host has summoned a ship and beckons just off the landing pad with promises of co-piloting adventures...

Only to have his ship despawn before the streamer can jump out to him.

Um, CIG, I hate to point out the obvious again two and a half years after McArthur’s ill-fated Free Flight experience, but you still have a slight playability problem. It’s not THEM, it’s YOU. And all the friendly tour guide whales in the world are not enough to compensate for these kinds of shortcomings.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 27, 2018