Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

VikingofRock posted:

I just had a pretty interesting position come up in one of my (7k) games recently. I'm white, and needed to live in the corner here:

http://eidogo.com/#whOC9Hda

I'm not totally sure that it's possible to live unconditionally here, but I did end up living in the end via W P17, B O18, W O17, B P15, W N18. I'm curious what the thread would do here in my position, or how you would respond to my above moves as black.

http://eidogo.com/#Cdkv6d8X:0,0

I played with it have fun I can't live with your first moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

http://eidogo.com/#Cdkv6d8X:0,0

I played with it have fun I can't live with your first moves

Thank you for the review! I finally got a chance to go over your moves. It's still a little hard for me to read out, but here's my thinking:

B P16, W O17: White lives, via killing the stones at P18 and Q19 in a living shape or via making a second eye in the corner or to the left. From what I can tell, it seems like you agree with this assessment?
B O17, W P16, B Q15: My thinking here was to respond at O16, then either killing the group at the top or killing black's cutting stones in a net depending on where black responds. White lives.
B O18, W O17, B P15, W N18: White lives via either capturing the O18 group in a bent four shape, or via capturing it in a bulky five and then making a second eye in the corner.
B O18, W O17, B N18, W T18: This is the trickiest variation. I think white can capture black via either B Q15, W Q14 or B Q14, W P14, white nets black regardless of black response. White lives

I wrote out my thoughts here, which is probably easier to look at than my above post. I think it works, but I am probably missing something.

Lyon posted:

I keep getting a ko to live for you but it's kind of a hard to say since I don't necessarily play either color optimally. Might be a fun one to review live on KGS.

I'd be happy to if you are interested! I'm VikingofRock on Discord, and VikingRock on KGS. Fair warning, I usually play on OGS so if we play on KGS it'll take me a bit to get used to the interface.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The B O18, W O17, B N18, W T18, BP15 line was the one I couldn't live with white with because W has a shortage of liberties in the upper two stones, so there's no shortage for B if white tries to net him in.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

The B O18, W O17, B N18, W T18, BP15 line was the one I couldn't live with white with because W has a shortage of liberties in the upper two stones, so there's no shortage for B if white tries to net him in.

Oh, I had missed that! Hmm I'll play around with it a bit more but yeah it looks like things are pretty bleak for white there. Luckily my actual in-game opponent missed that sequence and ended up resigning soon after we played out this corner.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I messaged both of your Discord names. I play as Squiggles on KGS but it's been a hot minute since I've signed in.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Is there still a chat on kgs or discord? I'm getting back into it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Moxie posted:

Is there still a chat on kgs or discord? I'm getting back into it.

Discord chat still has people idling (and occasionally talking about non-Go stuff), so if you start talking about Go there, people will probably reply.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

dirby posted:

Discord chat still has people idling (and occasionally talking about non-Go stuff), so if you start talking about Go there, people will probably reply.

How do I get in

Edit: that link expired vvvv

Moxie fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 15, 2018

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xom posted:

Hey all, we're now parasitizing KGS room Study Hall for the purposes of goon battles, reviews, and seeing who's on KGS, since we didn't have enough activity to keep the ITGO room.

Non-ingame chat is still in https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYwzkmxCG

Whoops, the link above is invalid. See below.

dirby fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 15, 2018

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
https://discord.gg/aWTrnv4

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I usually play very long correspondence games, and only one or two at a time, so I don't actually play that many go games. To remedy this, and to get better thinking on my feet, I told myself this weekend that I was going to start playing one blitz game on OGS per day. I know I am not good at quick thinking in go yet, so I decided from the onset that it's okay if I lose a lot at first.

I've dropped from 7k to 9k in two days, but I'm having a lot of fun and playing a lot more go, so I'm trying not to worry too much about my rank. That said, I hope I don't drop too much more, since I like being able to tell myself that I'm an SDK player!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

VikingofRock posted:

I usually play very long correspondence games, and only one or two at a time, so I don't actually play that many go games. To remedy this, and to get better thinking on my feet, I told myself this weekend that I was going to start playing one blitz game on OGS per day. I know I am not good at quick thinking in go yet, so I decided from the onset that it's okay if I lose a lot at first.

I've dropped from 7k to 9k in two days, but I'm having a lot of fun and playing a lot more go, so I'm trying not to worry too much about my rank. That said, I hope I don't drop too much more, since I like being able to tell myself that I'm an SDK player!

I'm in the same boat. I've played about 70 games ever, almost all multiweek correspondence games where I can plan a lot into each move. Because I put so much effort into my games I'd win a lot, and ogs thinks I'm an SDK. When I try live, I get pummeled because I don't have instincts developed.

I SHOULD play a lot live to remedy this, but I'm just so paralyzed thinking about it I never do.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Pander posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've played about 70 games ever, almost all multiweek correspondence games where I can plan a lot into each move. Because I put so much effort into my games I'd win a lot, and ogs thinks I'm an SDK. When I try live, I get pummeled because I don't have instincts developed.

I SHOULD play a lot live to remedy this, but I'm just so paralyzed thinking about it I never do.

Honestly, just play the live games. Even if your rank tanks you know you are SDK in correspondence games, and you know you have the fundamentals to get there in live games.

After I made that post last night to vent a bit, I went back and reviewed my blitz games, focusing on what I thought I did right as well as what I did wrong. I found I actually had a lot to like: for example I thought my opening in my most recent game was pretty good, with me coming out significantly ahead in territory and with my opponent not having the influence to compensate. It was only later when I got greedy and flubbed a response to a reduction that things really went bad. So I'm keeping in mind the positive and learning from the negative, and I think this will be very good for my go play overall even if my rank temporarily won't reflect that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Yes but you're going to have eventually everyone with just a phone in their pocket access to strength that's higher than any human could hope to reasonably achieve. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

LeelaZero now availible for android!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Hi! I've been reading about and playing a little Go on and off for a few years now, and after reading through most of this thread, I want to start seriously getting into my losing 100 games. Would downloading KGS (I've been using OGS so far) and playing with goons be how to do that?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hi! I reviewed your game: http://eidogo.com/#CRzqZQU3

I recommend downloading and viewing using CGoban (the KGS client) because the UI is better than Eidogo.

Furthermore, here is a guide for newbies: https://tinyurl.com/xomsguide

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yyyeeesssssssssssss! My girlfriend likes Go! Finally a human to play with my actual stones and goban. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is this new knowledge about your existing girlfriend, or a new girlfriend, or did you teach her and she likes it?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

GO GLOSSARY: aji - where dead stones come to life to haunt the opponent

:v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Is this new knowledge about your existing girlfriend, or a new girlfriend, or did you teach her and she likes it?

I taught her and she likes it :v

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
bah dook. way chee

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
does anyone know how to set up fox. I seem to only be able to download the mobile app from the website

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can anyone explain to me this tusmego solution? I'm trying out basic problems to get better, and honestly most of the "basic" or "beginner" ones are too hard for me to solve, but most of the time I can at least understand why the solutions are correct. Sometimes though I don't get how the solution is a good situation for black, though.

This is the setup, black to move. The solution is:
⚫A18
⚪B17
⚫B16
⚪A19

Resulting in this:

And I just don't get how this is a good situation for black. I'm fairly sure neither of black's groups can escape or even create eyes. Is this the solution because it avoids giving white an eye at A19? Is there something else I'm missing?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
if black wins the ko he lives. Sometimes ko is the best you can hope for

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So in my perennial attempt to get into this game, I’m gonna hit up itgo and grab an invite, but is the discord group still open?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yeah, although it's more a chill hangout place where khell occasionally posts pics of someone misreading a ladder than a dedicated Go discussion.

https://discord.gg/CWHAnY

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If you can't read ladders, don't play go.
If you don't read ladders, you can't play go.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hey any GOons who also play chess, what would be the 'fundamentals of go' of chess? if there is such a thing. i dont want a bunch of problems, there are endless apps for that. looking for big ideas, maxims, 'proverbs' etc. anything come to mind? sorry to post about chess in here but didn't know how exactly to ask what im asking to someone who doesn't also play go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

derp posted:

hey any GOons who also play chess, what would be the 'fundamentals of go' of chess? if there is such a thing. i dont want a bunch of problems, there are endless apps for that. looking for big ideas, maxims, 'proverbs' etc. anything come to mind? sorry to post about chess in here but didn't know how exactly to ask what im asking to someone who doesn't also play go.

Things like "the center four squares are vital", "develop your bishops and knights", "don't park a knight on the edge", "castle, you fool"?

Nothing wrong with the chess thread tbh. Really you're asking for just high level strategy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I wouldn't say "newbie cliff notes" is the same thing as fundamentals, but here are some of those:

Xom posted:

Here's my 1000-Elo guide to chess:
  1. Roughly speaking, a knight or bishop is worth 3 pawns, a rook 5, and a queen 9.

Being ahead on material is the primary form of advantage in chess, so if you can force a favorable trade, then do it. Likewise, you should do everything you can to avoid unfavorable trades.

If you get ahead on material, you can try to trade non-pawn pieces to magnify the proportion of your advantage. I read somewhere that trading pawns when you're ahead actually slightly reduces your chances of winning, but as a beginner I wouldn't spend too much effort thinking about that.

2. Your goal for the opening (other than exploiting your opponent's material blunders and not making blunders yourself) is to influence the four squares in the center of the board. That means occupying them with pawns and threatening them with pawns and pieces as much as possible.

As a minor caveat, try not to play Pawn to King 3 or Queen 3 if it would block your bishop that hasn't moved out yet (after the bishop moves out, then feel free to move the pawn there), but it's not a disaster if you do, since bishops can also develop to Knight 2, which is considered a useful post for a bishop, though it requires moving the knight's pawn off that square first.

A secondary goal is castling to protect your king, which also puts a rook in position to support pawns in or near the center.

Something that won't be possible every game—if you can safely post a knight on K5 or Q5, supported by a pawn on Q4 or K4 respectively, then do it. Getting caught by a knight fork is one of the most common beginner blunders, so look for those.

3. If all your pieces are decently positioned and there are still a lot of pieces on the board and you don't know what to do next, then, as a beginner, just do whatever while waiting for a tactical opportunity.

4. If you want to get more serious, learn some endgames (start with King and Rook versus King), and do a lot of tactics puzzles.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Tyvm for that

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Oh hey there, Go thread. Apparently I made a lazy attempt to get into Go about 8 years ago, according to my post history. Well, I'm trying again! In the past almost-a-decade, has anyone released a good play-go-against-humans iPad app? I've got SmartGo Kifu and it seems like it'll be good for practice problems and game review, but after a little googling it doesn't seem like there's been much movement on the, for example, iOS KGS client front. Hopefully I'm wrong?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
GoQuest maybe? I haven't tried it but my friends were talking about it.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
PandaNet has a decent iOS client. Very easy to find opponents for kyu level 19x19 games. The time controls are nice and long, which I like.

GoQuest is great for 9x9 but there is a lot of bullshit you have to put up with (ragequitters/sandbaggers/etc). PandaNet’s community is quite nice by comparison.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Just gave PandaNet (Go) a try and it seems reasonably decent. Thanks for the recommendation! Looking forward to getting repeatedly crushed for the next several months :)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xom posted:

GoQuest maybe? I haven't tried it but my friends were talking about it.

I play Goquest all the time and it runs perfectly fine on my little Android pad. Personally I pretty strongly recommend it, particularly for a newer player who's looking to play a bunch of low-pressure games very quickly to learn the basic mistakes and errors.

For those who aren't familiar with it Go quest is a very lightweight app that is designed around playing speed go. Its primary focus is on the 9x9 board, although it does occasionally offer 13x13 and 19x19 (dependant upon server traffic,) mostly though it's known for its 9x9 community. ( it's a popular spot for pros to kill time on and the top of the leaderboard is dominated by professional players.) It is basically without question right now the best place to find strong 9x9 players.

Goquest uses Chinese scoring, a komi of seven points, and allows draws. (None of that will matter much to a new player though.) In 9x9 it allows each player a single chunk of 3 minutes time, meaning a full game should take no more than about 5 to 6 minutes to play out. ( often games last about half that.) Goquest uses kind of a convoluted ranking system that gives you way too high of a you rating at lower ranks ( mostly as a reward for playing enough games), but gradually phases that out until about 5 or 6 kyu wherein it gives a pretty accurate rating. (If you are ~5kyu on Goquest speed 9x9 you will probably be a 5kyu everywhere else in regular or correspondence 9x9, and 3-4 stone stronger that in speed 9x9.)

It's a great platform for getting lots of "will this live?" practice as well as tons and tons and tons of experience fighting in corners. For newer players it will absolutely grounds you in the idea of constantly counting both your and your opponent's liberties- as otherwise you will be smashed. Despite the absolutely insane skill ceiling to be found in players here there is plenty of action for brand new or beginning go players at basically anytime of the day. a very convenient lightweight app and I cannot recommend it enough.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Huh, sounds like a game changer for learning Go. Compare this post from 2011:

Under 15 posted:

Anyone who did any good at Go probably played a lot of ranked 19x19 games early on. […] There's nothing special in particular about playing ranked 19x19 games. If you really want to get strong at go, you'll do a lot of problems and 9x9 before even thinking about the big board, but problems are boring and it's hard to find 9x9 games at all, let alone quality ones.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wow, i might give that a shot. the lack of exactly that kind of thing (a game that takes less than 20 minutes to play)[or 30 minutes...]{or 40 minutes} is pretty much why i havent played go in almost a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

wow, i might give that a shot. the lack of exactly that kind of thing (a game that takes less than 20 minutes to play)[or 30 minutes...]{or 40 minutes} is pretty much why i havent played go in almost a year.

i am curious though with how it deals with players who just try to run out the clock to win. does it do a forced counting at some point, or?