Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Last Chance posted:

So I was thinking... if the simpsons were cancelled in like... 2000 or earlier, would we see people clamoring for a revival now? Is no parallel universe safe from the simpsons continuing to air?

Definitely. I could also imagine a parallel universe Simpsons being better than what we have now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If the Simpsons had been cancelled years ago in 2000, we'd have had 1 live action movie that would be horrible and done in that wacky Tim Burton or Grinch/Cat in the Hat magical fantasy way by 2003.

Also, 2 animated movies, with one of them being direct to video holiday themed one before an attempt to revive them as a 3D animated movie circa 2010 that might lead into a 3D animated TV series that would offset the costs by paying the cast much less money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

If the Simpsons had been cancelled years ago in 2000, we'd have had 1 live action movie that would be horrible and done in that wacky Tim Burton or Grinch/Cat in the Hat magical fantasy way by 2003.

Also, 2 animated movies, with one of them being direct to video holiday themed one before an attempt to revive them as a 3D animated movie circa 2010 that might lead into a 3D animated TV series that would offset the costs by paying the cast much less money.

I feel like your timeline is off, I'd bet on no live action, but definitely a revival around now in the 3D TV series vein. Again though, ~2000 cancellation, would have cemented the Simpsons as the best TV show of not only the 90's, but in the running for all time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Data Graham posted:

Just caught this tonight and for fucks sake I laughed until I hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICU1pQ8fkM

It was once so good

Ive seen this a million times but the timing of the house suddenly getting up and running away still caught me and made me laugh.

"Oh Kent, I would be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes".

"....Well touche"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
King of the Hill was always better anyway

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's a little weird that there are two episodes in the early teens that deal with Homer commiting a crime and then end with a trial turning out to be fake. And both involve Homer being tricked by someone in a rubber mask.

(The Great Money Caper / The Frying Game)

Both episodes have really weird endings where it’s obvious the writers are just kind of stuck in a corner so they do a stupid montage in the former, and in the latter episode I think Homer does his angry fist shake and it’s over.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Every time I've watched one of the new episodes, it always kind of just ends at some arbitrary point. I guess it goes with the lovely music number they insist on having in every loving episode.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If the Simpsons was canceled in 2000, I can see that replacing McFarlan's eternal struggle to reboot the Flintstones. "Holy caca, Marge!" Bart also has a retro Poochy skateboard deck. And so on.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Simpsons cancelled in 2000 might have meant Fox would give up primetime animation entirely after Futurama/Family Guy/Etc don't become massive hits.

Adult Swim might have been big enough to cause Fox to revive Family Guy and start up American Dad, maybe give Futurama a similar revival sooner than the eventual Comedy Central/DTV Movies.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'd imagine Simpsons getting gobbled up by adult swim, too

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Also 9/11 would've been even worse probably

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Riptor posted:

Also 9/11 would've been even worse probably

Al Gore would've won handily and 9/11 wouldn't have happened, somehow

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd imagine Simpsons getting gobbled up by adult swim, too
They had enough for a strong syndication package in places that would have paid much more than AS.

It really is hard to say what would have happened to animation at Fox without Simpsons. Would they be really gunshy, or would they be willing to give some series time to establish in the hopes of getting another Simpsons hit to anchor a block.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Drink-Mix Man posted:

PYF moments from The Simpsons season 14!

I had to quote this 2 month old post specifically to state: this is the point that caused me to stop watching the show for 5 years. I still don't watch new episodes unless the TV is on the channel when they come on, but this part made me so angry.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

This is the universe that gave us Bob's Burgers and Rick and Morty so I'm okay with out it worked out in the end in some ways

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot about the awful completely garbage and out of nowhere line "that's it kids ; suckle daddy's sugar ball" what the gently caress were they thinking .

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

I forgot about the awful completely garbage and out of nowhere line "that's it kids ; suckle daddy's sugar ball" what the gently caress were they thinking .

now chew through my ball sack

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

PancakeTransmission posted:

I had to quote this 2 month old post specifically to state: this is the point that caused me to stop watching the show for 5 years. I still don't watch new episodes unless the TV is on the channel when they come on, but this part made me so angry.

lmao

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NM

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 26, 2018

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SeANMcBAY posted:

He died 20 years ago today.:smith:

Today is not may 28

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s what I get for not verifying something I saw on Twitter. I do think the show really did go downhill after him. His last episodes were some of the last good ones.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The cat burglar episode was actually probably one of the weakest of the pre-season 10 run

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The cat burglar episode was actually probably one of the weakest of the pre-season 10 run

:chloe:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

This would be contentious even if you narrowed the scope to just season 5.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The third act with the catburglar/search is weak, but homer's drunken posse is gold

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

The third act with the catburglar/search is weak, but homer's drunken posse is gold

:aaa: It's Hammer!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's weak only if you are a philistine who doesn't appreciate movie parodies from before Seth McFarlane salted the earth

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that is one of the weakest of the classic era, but it's still at worst a B-/C+

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

Yeah, exactly. The central plot is kind of lame, but Homer's militia is hilarious. So many good moments/quotes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

PYF moments from The Simpsons season 14!

14 was so much worse than even 13 and I'm surprised they didn't just kill it then and there.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I've just started reading John Schwartzwelder's The Time Machine Did It. The gags per page ratio is off the charts. Was interesting to see what episodes he wrote (Homer The Vigilante was one amongst 59). Lots of classics but when the Simpsons got bad he did some of the worst clunkers like that alligator one and the UK trip. Anyone else read through his Frank Burly series?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

14 was so much worse than even 13 and I'm surprised they didn't just kill it then and there.
As I check the episode list... wow, god that season was dire. The ones before it at least had one or two episodes worth watching, but there's no decent one there. I think it's the last season I stopped bothering to catch on TV and now I see why. :psyduck:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Whats the matter with you kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZfVe7sJDQ

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

spaceblancmange posted:

I've just started reading John Schwartzwelder's The Time Machine Did It. The gags per page ratio is off the charts. Was interesting to see what episodes he wrote (Homer The Vigilante was one amongst 59). Lots of classics but when the Simpsons got bad he did some of the worst clunkers like that alligator one and the UK trip. Anyone else read through his Frank Burly series?

I read that same book, and it's great. No idea how he slipped so badly though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Fear of Flying, The Front and Homer Vs Patty and Selma are all much weaker than Homer the Vigilante. The clipshows are almost entirely garbage though. The 138th Episode Spectacular is the only good clipshow.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

The clipshows are almost entirely garbage though.

Petition to ban clipshows.

They're just lazy writing (or lack thereof).

Stooge fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 27, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Weak plot, weak antagonist, weak gags. First act and third act are pretty bad. It's just weak.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Stooge posted:

Petition to ban clipshows.

They're just lazy writing (or lack thereof).

No one does clip shows anymore afaik. They were mandated by networks to save money but still produce a full season and they figured people would want to see them back when you couldn't just rewatch everything online.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No one does clip shows anymore afaik. They were mandated by networks to save money but still produce a full season and they figured people would want to see them back when you couldn't just rewatch everything online.

Contemporary reruns weren't even that common back in the early 90's as they are now. Sure your local UHF station would run reruns all day, but they were 20+ years old at the time. Even that hour between the National News and Prime Time was usually some type of local programming.

I very vividly remember that reruns of Cheers was a UHF Saturday afternoon thing while it was still producing episodes, but UHF was mostly just reruns of TV from the black and white or early color era. When it came to TV back then, if you liked a TV show, you wanted to watch all of them on first run because if a show only got one or two seasons, you would never see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Clipshows are such a bizarre idea in the 21st century. Like I hear about the rationales behind them when they were a thing, but why not just make a season an episode shorter instead? Besides it's not like they're actually that good for rewatching the good bits from other episodes, if they air once or infrequently it's pretty drat meaningless and if reruns are common then you might as well just have the actual episodes playing in full rather than all cut up with a lovely framing device.

I've heard on podcasts like Talking Simpsons that the network originally wanted way more clip show episodes of the Simpsons to pinch pennies, something like 3 or 4 per season, and the production team had to fight against it hard. The ones that we have are a low point for the golden age episodes but keep in mind it could have been much worse.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 27, 2018