Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
repent

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this broken hill posted:

then you'll know what it means to fear the lord

God isn't as real or present as climate change.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

mdemone posted:

Arctic permafrost thawing decades ahead of schedule, check. Arctic permanent sea-ice breaks for the first time, check.

May I expect another catastrophic result sometime soon?

Well the jet stream over Canada/artic was acting all funky this year, and there was the study that suggested that was one of the things that in the past caused some major Atlantic current/pressure system to effectively shut down within a decade resulting in horrible winters for England/europe

Basically it’s tough to say but everything’s getting pretty wobbly

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Potato Salad posted:

God isn't as real or present as climate change.
G-d is climate change

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Global climate projections have drastically underestimated carbon emissions from thawing permafrost in the Arctic, a new study suggests.

The study published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Communications indicated that permafrost emissions could be more than double what has been projected because of the methane from thermokarst lakes, which form in permafrost, Alaska’s Energy Desk reported Monday.

Scientists have previously projected that the Arctic could absorb as much or more carbon than emitted partly because of additional plant growth from warmer temperatures. Taking into account the thermokarst lakes, the projections of permafrost emissions in the later part of this century could increase by 118 percent, according to the study.

“If we take into account these lakes, we realize, ’Oh, we actually have a pretty significant source of permafrost carbon this century,’” said Katey Walter Anthony, the study’s lead author and associate professor at University of Alaska Fairbanks.

The permafrost emissions could match emissions from land use change, like forest clearing and burning — the second-largest human source of emissions. If more carbon from permafrost is emitted, it could lead to greater warming.

“The models that we’ve used to construct these carbon budgets of how much CO2 we can emit and stay below a certain temperature threshold that we say is the edge of where things go from bad to really bad — those carbon budgets are probably made with models that are incomplete and may, in many ways, be very optimistic,” said Charlie Koven, a scientist who works on climate models at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California.

https://apnews.com/c1b6e3ce70a448ab88df66965c420ee4

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
incidentally, this year's bushfire season in southeastern australia started in the middle of winter

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/25/veganism-intensively-farmed-meat-dairy-soya-maize

quote:

Much has been made of the methane emissions of livestock, but these are lower in biodiverse pasture systems that include wild plants such as angelica, common fumitory, shepherd’s purse and bird’s-foot trefoil because they contain fumaric acid – a compound that, when added to the diet of lambs at the Rowett Institute in Aberdeen, reduced emissions of methane by 70%.

In the vegan equation, by contrast, the carbon cost of ploughing is rarely considered. Since the industrial revolution, according to a 2017 report in the science journal Nature, up to 70% of the carbon in our cultivated soils has been lost to the atmosphere.

So there’s a huge responsibility here: unless you’re sourcing your vegan products specifically from organic, “no-dig” systems, you are actively participating in the destruction of soil biota, promoting a system that deprives other species, including small mammals, birds and reptiles, of the conditions for life, and significantly contributing to climate change.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

It is unlikely that there is a :rolleyes: large enough.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

It is unlikely that there is a :rolleyes: large enough.

What's the counterargument though?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Well the counter argument to these paragraphs is that guess what, the extension of cultivated surfaces - especially those that are overworked - is largely caused by the growing of feed for animals. Don’t go around blaming vegans for it. Yeah I know, the posh landowner with 14 square kilometers of Sussex pasture who makes her living producing 75 tons of meat a year can say her hands are clean and she is contributing to the development of biodiversity, but let’s not kid ourselves. That’s not how meat, dairy and poultry are produced in this day and age.

Ploughing produces so little carbon when compared to the rest of industrial activities that these paragraphs are easily dismissed as concern trolling by a woman whose life work is antithetical to a vegan lifestyle. For reference, on a similar surface, one could produce 75 thousand tons of beans. Per crop.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 25, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If this livestock farmer had some actual self awareness, their totally-sincere belief that cultivation is a problem in a vacuum, they'd have to make the admission that the first place to look for cutting cultivation area is for livestock feed.

That article is, well Flowers puts it well, concern trolling that only serves to muddy the truth, not inform.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well the counter argument to these paragraphs is that guess what, the extension of cultivated surfaces - especially those that are overworked - is largely caused by the growing of feed for animals. Don’t go around blaming vegans for it. Yeah I know, the posh landowner with 14 square kilometers of Sussex pasture who makes her living producing 75 tons of meat a year can say her hands are clean and she is contributing to the development of biodiversity, but let’s not kid ourselves. That’s not how meat, dairy and poultry are produced in this day and age.

Ploughing produces so little carbon when compared to the rest of industrial activities that these paragraphs are easily dismissed as concern trolling by a woman whose life work is antithetical to a vegan lifestyle. For reference, on a similar surface, one could produce 75 thousand tons of beans. Per crop.

I mean the argument was that while it's a good idea to mostly go vegan, small groups of cattle can help lock carbon into the soil especially if they forage instead of being fed, and that it's on the other hand easy to overlook the carbon cost of farming. I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't know if this is correct. In my neighborhood they're trying to restore a peat bog (on public land) and as part of that they let loose a herd of free roaming cattle who forage for food.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah cattle is cool for stuff like that, I’m not gonna argue otherwise, and easier to handle than wildlife.

Vegans would argue that you don’t need to slaughter them in the end.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Low level cattle herding is indeed important for maintaining, how should I put it, historical environments? That is, those that have been decimated by industrial agriculture in the last hundred years. But it's perverse that we're so hung up on livestock that we don't really have any ideas how to support those environments with wild mammals. My local nature reserve also has cattle herds all summer to maintain the meadows that support breeding birds

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

What's the counterargument though?

ctrl-f gigaton

0/0

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2018

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

VideoGameVet posted:

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Global climate projections have drastically underestimated carbon emissions from thawing permafrost in the Arctic, a new study suggests.

Next time someone wants to come in and post for dozens of pages about how X source of emissions won't be THAT bad, please keep in mind that the trend for these studies is the scientific community continuing to discover that things are likely going to be a lot worse than we previously thought.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
The Belgian TGV I was on had frayed seats. Turns out that a 250+kmh fully electric transport system's been around longer than I've been alive

Death is certain

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Eddy-Baby posted:

Death is certain

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Eddy-Baby posted:

The Belgian TGV I was on had frayed seats. Turns out that a 250+kmh fully electric transport system's been around longer than I've been alive

Death is certain

It’s also mostly nuclear powered.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paf2pJtaXYE
On the Chesapeake, A Precarious Future of Rising Seas and High Tides

This shows some of the demonstrable sea level rise that has happened over the course of this past century: forests dying, land underwater where people once lived, homes facing encroaching waters, etc.

The location shows how inescapable it is - it's in Maryland.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paf2pJtaXYE
On the Chesapeake, A Precarious Future of Rising Seas and High Tides

This shows some of the demonstrable sea level rise that has happened over the course of this past century: forests dying, land underwater where people once lived, homes facing encroaching waters, etc.

The location shows how inescapable it is - it's in Maryland.

This is a good video, it’s helpful to see the change that’s happened over the past sixty years instead of always trying to visualize what will happen over the next sixty years. Seeing how much farmland and real estate is going to be lost is scary.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its really sad watching people try to dig in, hoping things will go less-badly than predicted, knowing things will be substantially worse. those berms are pure folly.

edit: its amazing how specific we can be now... anyone who buys this property with a 30 year mortgage is hosed:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1848-Saint-Thomas-Church-Rd-Toddville-MD-21672/60865774_zpid/?fullpage=true

like this 45k is just pure dead capital: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Goose-Creek-Rd-Toddville-MD-21672/2088071266_zpid/?fullpage=true

its on someones books somewhere, but not for long.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 26, 2018

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
They just need to make 5 meter tall berms on the entire coastline.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

There’s a certain absurdity watching somebody jack up their house and stick a seven foot foundation under it. It’s like... you have the resources to do that, and the knowledge that the sea levels are rising, loving sell the house and move somewhere else. That guy is essentially trying to delay the coming catastrophe to the next generation rather than moving to a place where his son and his family have a better shot.

And what’s the loving point of having your house if the rest of the neighborhood is underwater? If not everybody can afford these absurd solutions, it’s going to destroy property values all the same. This is a storm that cannot be weathered.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would bet there is some kind of debt/lien that makes a sale impossible

and even if not, i'm sure the money they could get for a sale wouldn't be half what it would take to establish or buy a similar sized farm in a better location.

what you're looking at there is not a rational economic actor, its a trapped animal.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The same argument can be made in northern BC right now. A whole lot of property up there which has been sitting on the market at $500k for years is currently being turned into a blasted wasteland.

Well, except for these guys, they built pretty smart: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-s...gationFlag=true

Rime fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 26, 2018

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I mean I know people who would literally die for their children if given the choice, but are seemingly unwilling to accept any level of inconvenience in order to stave off the problems that their children/grandkids will almost certainly face. It boggles the mind.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Dying is easy.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I mean I know people who would literally die for their children if given the choice, but are seemingly unwilling to accept any level of inconvenience in order to stave off the problems that their children/grandkids will almost certainly face. It boggles the mind.

Not sure if serious. I have some suggestions to rationalize inaction.

Social Loafing: CC is everyone's responsibility. I'll let others handle it.
Availability Bias: The worst effects of CC are not here yet, so they don't feel real to me, even though I understand them in theory.
Saliency Bias: I have bigger problems to worry about right now. Don't bother me with this CC stuff.
Black Swan Fallacy: Catastrophic CC has never happened before in human history, so it can't be happening now.
Optimism: CC will be easy to solve with technology. Also, I could open and run a profitable sports bar.
Pessimism: CC can't be stopped because of X insurmountable challenge.
Nihilism: CC will resolve itself by killing many humans. I do my part merely by dying.
Accelerationism: Only when CC gets existentially bad will people change their habits. Lets make that happen.
Helplessness: I can't personally affect CC so it would be a waste of effort to try.
Other-ism: If only X race/country/group didn't do Y activity; there would be no CC. The real issue is making X stop Y.
Aversion: The thought of CC is so distressing that I avoid thinking about it.
FYGM: CC won't hurt me much in my lifetime, and at least my kids will be better off than some.
Spite: I'm gonna love watching X race/country suffer from drought/famine/war.
Opportunist: I'll sell tanks to Pakistan and bombs to India, delivered via the Northwest Passage
Entitlement: Every generation cleans up the messes of the previous; it's only fair I get my turn.
Persecution: CC is a conspiracy invented by X group to attack me, my group and my lifestyle. X is really mean!
Virtue Signalling: My footprint is smaller than yours. Stop killing the planet, everyone else.
Token Penance: I recycle cans and bike to work. I feel like a climate hero.
Tragedy of the Commons: I will take care of the Earth only when everyone else does it, too.
Armchair Martyr: CC could be easily solved if everyone agreed to my plan, but they won't.
Denial: CC isn't happening. That's a relief; it sounds like it would suck.

Experiment until you find some that you like. Just because CC is bad doesn't mean you can't twist it in a gratifying way.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Preen Dog posted:

Availability Bias: The worst effects of CC are not here yet, so they don't feel real to me, even though I understand them in theory.
Saliency Bias: I have bigger problems to worry about right now. Don't bother me with this CC stuff.
Black Swan Fallacy: Catastrophic CC has never happened before in human history, so it can't be happening now.
Optimism: CC will be easy to solve with technology. Also, I could open and run a profitable sports bar.
Nihilism: CC will resolve itself by killing many humans. I do my part merely by dying.
Accelerationism: Only when CC gets existentially bad will people change their habits. Lets make that happen.
Helplessness: I can't personally affect CC so it would be a waste of effort to try.
Other-ism: If only X race/country/group didn't do Y activity; there would be no CC. The real issue is making X stop Y.
FYGM: CC won't hurt me much in my lifetime, and at least my kids will be better off than some.
Opportunist: I'll sell tanks to Pakistan and bombs to India, delivered via the Northwest Passage
Entitlement: Every generation cleans up the messes of the previous; it's only fair I get my turn.
Persecution: CC is a conspiracy invented by X group to attack me, my group and my lifestyle. X is really mean!
Virtue Signalling: My footprint is smaller than yours. Stop killing the planet, everyone else.
Tragedy of the Commons: I will take care of the Earth only when everyone else does it, too.
Armchair Martyr: CC could be easily solved if everyone agreed to my plan, but they won't.

Experiment until you find some that you like. Just because CC is bad doesn't mean you can't twist it in a gratifying way.

This is a good post.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
yeah that's a nice list right there

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
In fact, put it in the OP as a list of poo poo this thread has already heard and doesn't need more of.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tag urself i'm da martyr

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Preen Dog posted:

Yeap I'll get anything from "people can't change nature" to "volcanoes will start cooling the planet once it gets hot enough" to "we will just adapt and/or develop new technologies."

And this is from late 30s-early 40s, mostly liberal people. I expect that the boomers are a lost cause who should be herded into camps immediately, but to hear so much denialism from people my age has been a shock for sure.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
What did you expect? Society has conditioned people to have an aversion towards thinking about bad potentialities. Try talking to most people about preparing for a minor disruption in food & water supply, as could happen with any natural disaster, and they'll look at you like you're crazy. Hell, try talking about how wages are declining, working conditions are getting worse, health care is getting worse, etc and you'll just be waved off as a "Debbie Downer".

Nobody in the west will be willing to think about or rationally discuss the ramifications of climate change until it is already destroying their lives personally, and even then they'll try and find a way to downplay how bad things are.

We live in a society of the desperately ignorant.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Did you come up with that list yourself or did you have an inspiration

It's good

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

StabbinHobo posted:

tag urself i'm da martyr

I'm nihilism if you tack on Eat Arby's.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Preen Dog posted:

Escapism: climate change doesn't matter because we can all escape to Mars or whatever

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Shibawanko posted:

Escapism: climate change doesn't matter because we can all escape to Mars or whatever

"We'll discover a technological/magical solution" is already covered under optimism. See also: the rapture.

All of these are already a form of escapism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

Ooh, that's a good one, though it might be 'magical thinking', an extreme form of optimism.

Escapism would be occupying oneself with drugs and animes, also good.

Nice piece of fish posted:

In fact, put it in the OP as a list of poo poo this thread has already heard and doesn't need more of.

Agreed. It's tiresome to reiterate. Rationalization is a clear obstacle, but most of the discourse here just talks around it, and posters revel in it. I claim it forms the big question of climate change mitigation.

quote:

How can the solutions to climate change (with cooperation across racial and ideological divides, political, industrial and lifestyle changes, and perceived austerity) be made more attractive to people than their rationalizations for the status quo?

Without an answer to this question, tech and projections mean nothing. My humble estimate is that only a severe warming with a massive population crash will be enough. How bad did the Thames get before it was cleaned up? It was just one river, just one government. How many raptors were left before DDT was banned? It was just one easily regulated chemical. We're talking about convincing your racist dad to eat less beef, cube his pickup, and move into a flat so that future Africans don't spontaneously combust. For the hopefuls, a place to start would be past examples where large-scale crises had been headed off by proactive cooperation. Yes, it's the 'nothing matters' argument, but I think it's pretty solid.

Pessimist-nihilist, and a little virtuous (I can have hot showers because multi-unit dwelling and no car :smug:)