Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It should be influenced by things like, say, if the US won a World Cup, or even made the finals, they should get a boost to their youth recruitment permanently to represent increased interest in the sport at a grassroots level. Clubs should then be more willing to invest in their academies to harness the improved talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lol the US will never invest in youth soccer

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Weedle posted:

Lol the US will never invest in youth soccer

It's funny, even here in the Deep South, all the (white) kids play soccer until about middle school (6th - 8th grade). Then they get pushed into "real" sports.

I grew up in a city with ~ 20,000 people, and every Saturday, we'd have 6 fields full of organized play, with morning and noon matches. It's all organized into leagues, and all that stuff. When you look a little closer, though, you can count the teenagers on one hand.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There should be a reputation system for countries as well as clubs that was very sticky and only changed over a long period of time, that would essentially measure the popularity of the sport in that country, because other factors like national income don't actually matter (Brazil produces tons of great players but the US doesn't) and population doesn't matter (Croatia and Uruguay produce great players but India and China don't). That way at the start of the game it would mostly reflect who's good and bad at the moment, but over a long period of time there would be allowances for things like the game catching on in a country like China or India or the US due to a few good performances in World Cups or something like that, and that could change this reputation factor and lead to better regens over time. To make it more fun, reputation should only fall very, very slowly but be open to dramatic rises so that over time you could have more competitive countries even as the currently competitive ones stay competitive.

Also this would get rid of dumb gaming the system where like one year the Mexican researchers just said "yeah Mexico should be #1 in the world for talent produced" and then five to ten years into the game Mexico were the best team on the planet because all their regens were Pele reborn.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The league rankings are already fairly static (winning the CL with a club from an awful league still won't get them into the top 50) but even that level of dynamism in youth development by country would at least allow for things like a Tibet to get a golden generation eventually who qualify and bomb out of a regional competition or massive dip in quality in a big nation like the Dutch irl. As it stands you'll never see either of those things happen, no matter how many times you do a Thaksin Sinawatra and buy up all the 'promising' Thai youth players for inflated fees to train at good facilities

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

vyelkin posted:

There should be a reputation system for countries as well as clubs that was very sticky and only changed over a long period of time, that would essentially measure the popularity of the sport in that country, because other factors like national income don't actually matter (Brazil produces tons of great players but the US doesn't) and population doesn't matter (Croatia and Uruguay produce great players but India and China don't).

a) IMO national income and population are relevant to player development (at least, on the large scale), but I agree that "importance/popularity of the sport" is absolutely necessary and a primary factor - it is the motivation to invest human and financial resources into developing soccer players rather than any other sport or some other worthy pursuit. But the countries that generally do the best and produce more of the best players all care massively about the sport AND are also big and/or rich - your Brazils, Frances, Spains, and Germanies. (Your Croatias and Uruguays and the like also produce good players and teams, but not on the same scale, and it shows),
b) there already is a rating in the DB for popularity and importance of the sport in the country, however it is not quite clear what it does, and
c) it is currently static (far as I can tell) and only has four or five options. I agree that it should be finer-grained like the various reputation ratings are, and more variable.

It would really drive long-term games if you could genuinely help build the sport in your country of choice, and dynamic league reputation only gets part of the way there (and even then it's not great at it, like Bogan says).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 8, 2018

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The top 5 most populous countries in the world are China, India, USA, Indonesia and Pakistan, of which only one can claim to be almost good at football, and the others are absolute trash. But countries like Uruguay (134th), Croatia (129th) and even Iceland (179th) are good at football. Population is of no consideration to talent at all, and looking at the purchasing power parity (and also GDP) of those countries, Uruguay and Croatia aren't that far ahead of China, while some of the richest countries (Saudi Arabia, Luxemboug, Singapore) are still trash. I have no idea what the actual reason counties get good at football is, but it def isn't through throwing money and people at it

Dallan Invictus posted:

It would really drive long-term games if you could genuinely help build the sport in your country of choice, and dynamic league reputation only gets part of the way there (and even then it's not great at it, like Bogan says).

It'd be ace if SI implemented an ability to do that, because for me at least all the fun of the game is building up your team (and league, and country) into a superpower, but I reckon 90% of the playerbase never get 10 years in, let alone 50 so there's probably no actual value in them doing it unfortunately

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I have no idea what the actual reason counties get good at football is, but it def isn't through throwing money and people at it

My point is that people in Country X need to care about getting good at football for them to get good at football, and then money and people can help the process of actually Getting Good At Football. You can create good players without the last two (see all the tiny impoverished African countries making great individual talents who sometimes even end up playing for them), and you can end up on the World Cup Dark Horse tier without them like Croatia and Uruguay and Iceland do, but the countries that are the best, that are generally expected to contend for World Cups and usually win them, have those qualities. Of course, this may be a correlation/causation thing, I just object to the idea that they don't matter at all.

Hell, the US barely gives a poo poo about the sport but cares just enough to be able to brute-force their way into being "debatably almost good" through sheer size and wealth. If American football and Actual Football somehow switched places in the cultural consciousness of the US then legitimately shocking things could happen, but since this will never happen in real life it would be nice if I could see it happen in FM, but:

quote:

It'd be ace if SI implemented an ability to do that, because for me at least all the fun of the game is building up your team (and league, and country) into a superpower, but I reckon 90% of the playerbase never get 10 years in, let alone 50 so there's probably no actual value in them doing it unfortunately

Yeah, this is the big reason they'll never do it (then again I thought the same about dynamic league rep), and honestly I'm kind of part of the problem since I never get ten years in either (but in my case it's mostly because I'm constantly restarting to try and fix bugs in my custom databases that wouldn't be issues if SI would just Document The Goddamned Advanced Editor oops sorry had a moment).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Most of the things people are talking about are already in the game. Youth production is dynamic and undeveloped football nations can develop but it's not a fast process and one fluke world cup win isn't going to change the face of football forever.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

kingturnip posted:

That's one of the reasons I like managing in Belgium - you can sign anyone from any country in the world. I mean, you can't sign anyone good, because most teams have atrocious reputation, but you can in theory.
France also has one of the loosest interpretations of EU imaginable for the purpose of squad registration rules - an interpretation that includes all of Africa (except Libya, Egypt and Sudan), the Caribbean and even Uzbekistan. It's great.

Whenever I play a lower-league French team I always load up on players from West and North Africa for that exact reason. It's easier to get good players when they're available, but of course their heads will always be immediately turned straightaway as soon as any team comes sniffing around.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wish the board would quit freaking out all like THE FANS ARE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE JOE RANDO SIGNING when I sign a random teenager on a minimum salary free transfer because the only keeper on my U19 squad just broke his leg.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

Whenever I play a lower-league French team I always load up on players from West and North Africa for that exact reason. It's easier to get good players when they're available, but of course their heads will always be immediately turned straightaway as soon as any team comes sniffing around.

That's slightly easier to deal with, now that you can put an expiry date on Release Clauses.
If they're a hot talent with dogshit reputation, just set their Min Fee Release Clause to expire 6 months after they sign and you should be able to ride that out unless you get really unlucky.

/\ /\ /\
Also, signing a 33 year old on an 18-month contract at £1.5k p/w.
"His job is to tutor the youngsters so that they don't cry and go home the first time they give the ball away. Who loving cares how poo poo he is?"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I always dick about with youth ratings, doing dumb stuff like putting Iceland and Malta or whatever at 200, but this idea is hilarious and I'm gonna do it.

The Croc posted:

You can change them in the editor

Best thing to do is set every nation to 200 and then you just sit back and watch the crazy.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I didn't know about the fixed nation youth rankings, that's a bit of a bummer since I always thought I could affect a nation's fortunes if I ended up having a club with top facilities flooding the league with European competition money, but if nobody's getting regens with PA above 120 it's tough poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I laugh at the idea of The US getting good at football because culture but otoh if you watch Women's football America is the only country that takes this poo poo seriously and they loving crush everybody with their organisation and professionalism so I mean poo poo, its possible if all the best athletes stop playing American Football.

I also lol at Countries that don't invest in youth development that are football nations. Iceland can do it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

algebra testes posted:

I laugh at the idea of The US getting good at football because culture but otoh if you watch Women's football America is the only country that takes this poo poo seriously and they loving crush everybody with their organisation and professionalism so I mean poo poo, its possible if all the best athletes stop playing American Football.

I also lol at Countries that don't invest in youth development that are football nations. Iceland can do it.

So you're saying if every other country stopped caring about men's football the US has a chance?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sassassin posted:

So you're saying if every other country stopped caring about men's football the US has a chance?

Well, or if the US stops caring about football, basketball, baseball, and potentially hockey. Then our top flight athletes would potentially play soccer. There's no real prestige or money in it domestically, so it's not exactly going to inspire the youth of the US to play it beyond the kids who just fall in love with it and never give it up. It's like lacrosse.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Anyone got any tips for how to go about building a youth team? I've got promoted into league 2 and gone professional and should have enough in the first team to avoid relegation, so now I want to start planning for the future but I have no idea where to even start looking for promising players for my u18 squad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

Well, or if the US stops caring about football, basketball, baseball, and potentially hockey. Then our top flight athletes would potentially play soccer. There's no real prestige or money in it domestically, so it's not exactly going to inspire the youth of the US to play it beyond the kids who just fall in love with it and never give it up. It's like lacrosse.

There's no prestige or money in playing domestic football in most countries that are better than the US.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mr Snips posted:

Anyone got any tips for how to go about building a youth team? I've got promoted into league 2 and gone professional and should have enough in the first team to avoid relegation, so now I want to start planning for the future but I have no idea where to even start looking for promising players for my u18 squad

The most consistent way to get a youth team is to invest in your club's infrastructure, but if you haven't been doing that already, you're looking at 10 years + before you end up with anything worth calling a youth setup.
Best thing to do is just scout like crazy. Set up Assignments yourself, limit them to reporting on players 18 or under and target wherever you can.
And make sure your scouts actually have good Judging Player Potential.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Goddamnit, Anderlecht. That lone striker is like a plastic cherry on a poo poo cake.

I'm half-tempted to do one better. I have PSG in my CL group. Been thinking about a 4-3DM-CM-2WM formation. Wonder how the ME handles no one in the attacking half?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sassassin posted:

There's no prestige or money in playing domestic football in most countries that are better than the US.

Sure, but there isn't in their other sports either. They're not competing against a local equivalent of the NFL or NBA and the stars that play in those leagues. In the States, kids see the superstars of the major sports all the time, even outside the context of the sport. It gives them something to aspire to. Most of them probably couldn't name an American men's soccer player, or at best they'd get Landon Donovan because he was in the news recently what with shilling for Mexico during the world cup.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shroud posted:

Goddamnit, Anderlecht. That lone striker is like a plastic cherry on a poo poo cake.

I'm half-tempted to do one better. I have PSG in my CL group. Been thinking about a 4-3DM-CM-2WM formation. Wonder how the ME handles no one in the attacking half?

I played a 5-4-0-0-1 (Flat back 5, then 2 DMs and 2 WBs) back in like FM15 maybe? when I had a Gibraltan team reach the CL knockouts, and it was actually surprisingly effective. Just have one pacy guy as the outlet to chase every long ball and loose pass, and smash it down the channels for him at every chance. It helps if the WBs are quick too so they can get up in support, but you'll just be looking to thrive off scraps when the opposition inevitably throws one too many men forward

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I had the time I would love to try one of those Welsh Premier League -> Champions League campaigns where you dont quit until the WPL had like 4 automatic places via league reputation or whatever.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Walton Simons posted:

I didn't know about the fixed nation youth rankings, that's a bit of a bummer since I always thought I could affect a nation's fortunes if I ended up having a club with top facilities flooding the league with European competition money, but if nobody's getting regens with PA above 120 it's tough poo poo.

Technically it's possible if enough clubs get affiliate clubs in countries with higher PAs for the purpose of recruiting youngsters, but yeesh.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
How about that. Je suis Anderlecht, I guess.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Shroud posted:

How about that. Je suis Anderlecht, I guess.

im Red #12's furthest shot from goal

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Waroduce posted:

im Red #12's furthest shot from goal

It is impressive, given that they could have made the mouth of the goal cover the entire end of the field and it still wouldn't have been on target.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
OK, I laughed at this one

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FM 2018 is £9.49 on the Humble store

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shroud posted:

OK, I laughed at this one

Okay, that owns.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So is 2018 worth it if i've got a long running save in 2017, or should I wait for 2019?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

2019 is going to have an incredible new title screen.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Coohoolin posted:

So is 2018 worth it if i've got a long running save in 2017, or should I wait for 2019?

Just wait the extra couple of months for 19, imo

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I've never seen this before where all of the tiebreakers were even:

There are only 3 tiebreakers in the SPL, but it's still the first time I've ever seen it in-game.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 25, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I wonder what would happen if it were more than 2 teams.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

After flailing around the middle of the table with a couple of higher-division teams, I decided to try starting a new save as Salford and see how far up the pyramid I can take them, and I have been on fire. I’m about halfway through the first season and I haven’t lost a single match yet in league or cup play. Looking up Salford on Wikipedia, I discovered that they were promoted at the end of the 2017-18 season after finishing at the top of their division. Is it simply a testimony to the accuracy of FM’s simulation that Salford’s in-game performance is as stunning as their real one, are lower-level teams simply easier to manage in general, or did I suddenly get good at this game without realizing it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Weedle posted:

Is it simply a testimony to the accuracy of FM’s simulation that Salford’s in-game performance is as stunning as their real one, are lower-level teams simply easier to manage in general, or did I suddenly get good at this game without realizing it?

Salford are owned by five former Manchester United players and a literal billionaire and can afford to pay a lot more than basically every other team at their level. Assuming the database reflects that then, sorry, it's probably the first (not sure it's exactly stunning though).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Salford are owned by five former Manchester United players and a literal billionaire and can afford to pay a lot more than basically every other team at their level. Assuming the database reflects that then, sorry, it's probably the first (not sure it's exactly stunning though).

Well then maybe the board should stop jerking me around about the drat payroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Weedle posted:

Well then maybe the board should stop jerking me around about the drat payroll

Is there FFP in the National?