Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Dang, that's one lovely helmet then! Guess I'll just look elsewhere for head protection, thanks.

Yeah, it's a bitch trying to do this. Only solution I've found so far is to carefully mouse over all the fallen, and if it turns red stick a katana into them. Even then it's not 100% effective- sometimes I've looted the battlefield, and while picking through a 'corpse's pockets, the dude would wake up and I'd have to stick him all over again.

Also, holy poo poo are the Holy Nation a sack of assholes. No you fucker I'm not gonna sell my Shek buddies off as chattel, what the gently caress are you on about.

Then you go to talk to the United Cities thinking "oh these must be the good guys. I'm gonna join em and kill the fundies" and come across a noble shooting starving peasants for sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can you not right-click attack unprovoked an unconscious dude?

idk i am too wussy at the moment to try it. it's me and my three buddies running through the desert and occasionally buying some gohan and getting beaten up by gangs of passers by

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

can you not right-click attack unprovoked an unconscious dude?

idk i am too wussy at the moment to try it. it's me and my three buddies running through the desert and occasionally buying some gohan and getting beaten up by gangs of passers by

No

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well that's loving stupid

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a force-attack hotkey or whatever, just in case I want to turn bandit myself, or go nuts with Not!Kenshiro on the Holy Nation, but it seems like there isn't. Bummer.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Then you go to talk to the United Cities thinking "oh these must be the good guys. I'm gonna join em and kill the fundies" and come across a noble shooting starving peasants for sport.

poo poo

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
By starving peasants he means your squad and now you got a bunch of elite samurai with 70+ attack charging at you and that douche bag with a sniper crossbow is still taking pot shots at you too.

Of course if you defend yourself its a crime and now you're wanted by the United Cities.

There are no good guys in Kenshi.

Edit: Wow Beak Things have @33 run speed in the latest experimental, they just got a lot more dangerous.

That Guy Bob fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 25, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there anywhere I can go to train my 3 robo dudes that doesn't just have groups of 20+ enemies?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Train up someone's assassination and kidnap a smaller group to fight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If recruits aren't showing up in the bar (Hobbs, Ruka etc) do I just need to wait a few days?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I was wondering if there was a force-attack hotkey or whatever, just in case I want to turn bandit myself, or go nuts with Not!Kenshiro on the Holy Nation, but it seems like there isn't. Bummer.

poo poo

You can attack unprovoked from the context menu you just can't execute downed enemies.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Is there anywhere I can go to train my 3 robo dudes that doesn't just have groups of 20+ enemies?

Random packs of goats and garru tend to be on the small side. You can always go beat up on turtles in the swamps, their attack animations are so slow and bad they might as well be standing still all the time. This is actually bad advice since the rest of the swamps will destroy you.

Sand Ninjas tend to be 3-5 in the United Cities desert area and sometimes you'll see a jounin wandering around by their lonesome. Crawlers can be found alone here too.

Broken robots and iron spiders are usually solo but they're in the Deadlands area. (robots only no fleshies allowed)

But if you're really desperate rarely you'll encounter two empire peasants walking around in empire lands with bounties so you can just beat them up for free.

The true cheese is to unprovoked attack a single person walking in a group and hoping the rest don't come and help their buddy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thanks, but I got bored so I went exploring and now I'm stuck in the middle of a giant crater with spiders everywhere help

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can help em out and deliver them to cages when that happens if they have a bounty.

unfortunately this is happening in Okran's Shield where the holy nation are too busy doing their weird prisoner dance with skeletons to go to bed so I can murder the high inquisitor, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't appreciate my help with bounties

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks, but I got bored so I went exploring and now I'm stuck in the middle of a giant crater with spiders everywhere help

Same only my guy is loaded down with 80kg of expensive artifacts

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The true secret to winning fights is to have more guys until later on

Also use crossbows assholes can't dodge those

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah crossbows are really good albeit kind of a pain to level up with all the friendly fire early on.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Which items from ancient labs do you actually need for tech/building? I looked power cores, skeleton muscle, CPUs and generator cores, any of those? I know you definitely need the science books.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Engineering research, AI Cores, and Ancient Science books.

Everything else is (valuable) vendor junk or crafting components. The wiki will tell you which is which.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What about copper sheets or whatever they're called? Are those used for anything?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Copper plates are used to build the high-end base housing. "High-end" in this case meaning they look snazzier; there is no functional difference.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is there a more efficient way to get to the squad tracking camera other than setting a destination, right clicking one character's portrait, and then reselecting the whole squad again?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
You can quick select everyone in a squad with tilde if that helps.
Any way to teleport a guy, mod or otherwise? I got a guy trapped under some stairs in a house I built.

Edit: googled it gonna try to pick him up or use squad position reset on load

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 27, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Turrets are so good it is ridiculous. Even at like 5-20 skill they're really good, once you have 60+ turret skill stuff just dies instantly. Everyone downed in a fight wakes up to 15 harpoons and crossbow bolts the second they regain consciousness. Also the friendly fire potential is just batshit, all my guys look like pincushions at the end of a fight and at least a few gets knocked by friendly fire every raid.

You could also cheese with them by putting them on a wall segment, building a ramp, putting a bunch of food on them, then destroying the ramp and they'd be immune to melee attackers.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah crossbows are really good albeit kind of a pain to level up with all the friendly fire early on.

Use a low quality junkbow and let them just fire into your guys to level up precision shooting. Once they have a high chance to not kill their teammates with stuff you can transition them to a good one.

Junkbows also fire fast so it levels quickly.

I also generally just leave ranged off for easy encounters to conserve ammo. Lining guys up and pulling stuff into an ambush to drop a leviathan or other dangerous poo poo is legit tho. Horrible things like the bugmaster or swarms of AOE monsters like hordes of beak things get wrecked by massed crossbow fire.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Where is the most fun place to build a base?

Edit: If I build a base in the Fog Isles, do I get endless legions of Fogmen to slaughter?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 27, 2018

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Where is the most fun place to build a base?

Edit: If I build a base in the Fog Isles, do I get endless legions of Fogmen to slaughter?

If you want to fill mass graves, Fog Isles and Cannibal Plains will provide the largest body counts.

Just clear out a death yard and setup camp.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you want to fill mass graves, Fog Isles and Cannibal Plains will provide the largest body counts.

Just clear out a death yard and setup camp.

Thanks. Considering setting up camp somewhere between the borders for the Fog Isles, the Floodlands and the Holy Nation territories (since I joined the Flotsam Ninjas and they went hostile towards me.
Do I just have to haul a shitload of Building Materials over by hand to get started?

Also, is it possible to "claim" a town? I noticed that you can buy up and fix pretty much the entirety of The Hub, but since it's not considered to be owned, you can't buy power generators.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks. Considering setting up camp somewhere between the borders for the Fog Isles, the Floodlands and the Holy Nation territories (since I joined the Flotsam Ninjas and they went hostile towards me.
Do I just have to haul a shitload of Building Materials over by hand to get started?

Also, is it possible to "claim" a town? I noticed that you can buy up and fix pretty much the entirety of The Hub, but since it's not considered to be owned, you can't buy power generators.

You can build small wind generators on roofs and fuelled ones if you care to.

Fill up a pack animal with iron and building materials to start usually.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is there anywhere good near the Hub to start a base, to get the hang of basey things?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I build in the Swamp, will I have the UC and/or the HN asking for taxes? I can deal with bandits and poo poo, but the taxman is a threat no amount of swordsmanship can defeat.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If I build in the Swamp, will I have the UC and/or the HN asking for taxes? I can deal with bandits and poo poo, but the taxman is a threat no amount of swordsmanship can defeat.

Nobody tries to make you pay taxes in the swamp.

Sovcits getting eaten by blood spiders ftw.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On a scale on 1-10 how bad of an idea is it to try building on the Leviathan coast?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

On a scale on 1-10 how bad of an idea is it to try building on the Leviathan coast?

They are generally pretty passive so it'd probably be fine as long as you get the walls up so they don't wander in and get agitated by your people running around. Definitely have a lot of harpoon turrets up tho.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Nobody tries to make you pay taxes in the swamp.

Sovcits getting eaten by blood spiders ftw.

They cease to be an issue once you have walls, luckily. Just gotta get to that point.

Or just hire some mercs for the initial outing.

In fact always hire mercs imo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do mercs have the intelligence to target skin spiders or other undesirables before they walk past the gate and attack everyone

Griz
May 21, 2001

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is there anywhere good near the Hub to start a base, to get the hang of basey things?

I found a spot on the valley east of Hub above the bridge that has 60 water, 100 fertility, 100 stone, and both metals nearby. it doesn't have very much flat land, but farms etc are pretty slope tolerant, and there's enough room for at least 2 L-houses.

those lovely ninjas showed up again so I locked the door, they yelled a bunch then ran over to stand around the oven directly under a turret.

they didn't even steal the bread.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How do you guys build your "arenas" for using prisoners as training?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
A single building with a cage(s) and a bed and everyone else on hold so they don't run in and beat up the training dummy. And of course locking the door.

Its kind of weird how Black Dragon Ninjas don't have squad spawns but they still raid you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, setting up a base is hard work, I've barely managed to put up a single building with a tech bench and some beds, and I've already had 2 Holy nation attacks, about 5 hungry bandits attacks, and a massive 30-something big cannibal attack.

Edit: Sheesh, t's a pain getting supplies and new recruits out of Mongrel and through the Fog Isles.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 28, 2018