Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Leraika posted:

I'm not 100% sure I know what's going on, other than the fact that Maaku somehow faked being shot in the head?

Somehow, someway (it’s actually very clever, but I’ll let OP post the in-game explanation) the team got Akechi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Leraika posted:

I'm not 100% sure I know what's going on, other than the fact that Maaku somehow faked being shot in the head?

Don't worry, it'll be intricately over-explained over the next hour or so.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Clarste posted:

The escape plan is not that hard to summarize (once it's not a spoiler anymore).

My only criticism is that it does not end with Zenigata Akechi screaming LUPIN HAMIRU in abject defeat as we ride into the horizon, but to be fair we're working under a different set of constraints than Lupin the 3rd.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it turns out hamiru never existed the whole game~~

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yeah, the "twist" is that this was never a murder-mystery game.

It's a heist game. And in pretty much every heist film/show/book, the "traitor" is always known.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Arist posted:

I’m just going to reiterate that none of this TV report is subbed, so if you’re one of those hardcore weebs who plays everything in Japanese even when there’s a perfectly fine dub sitting in front of you, you ingrate (and also, Persona 5), you have no idea what the gently caress just happened, and it’s the entire point of the scene.
I am by no means a hardcore weeb (more of a weird sperglord who wants to hear the original voice performances regardless of the language) but yeah, that was a pretty bad oversight on Atlus' part. I know just enough Japanese to get the gist of what happens in this scene, but I can imagine a lot of people being a bit lost at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Omobono posted:

The escape plan is not that hard to summarize (once it's not a spoiler anymore).

I meant the game over-explains it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember when I first played this game I thought I had somehow messed things up so the end of that animated cutscene was very reassuring.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Clarste posted:

I was just afraid I'd missed something because everyone was acting like it was already explained. :shrug:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Clarste posted:

I meant the game over-explains it.

Sorry, I meant to reassure viewers.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, the "twist" is that this was never a murder-mystery game.

It's a heist game. And in pretty much every heist film/show/book, the "traitor" is always known.

Unless there's 2

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

tbh i'm looking forward to the over-explanation because i have no idea what the gently caress is going on

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Kith posted:

tbh i'm looking forward to the over-explanation because i have no idea what the gently caress is going on

I'm in the same boat.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I love this part, just wish the game didn't overexplain it when they go over it all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
All this talk about overexplaining makes me wonder if we're in for some kind of Metal Gear Solid 4 length cutscene.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All this talk about overexplaining makes me wonder if we're in for some kind of Metal Gear Solid 4 length cutscene.

Let's just say you might want to bring a sandwich or two.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Morgana reveals that he really isn't a human after all, he's Ocelot who hypnotized himself into thinking he was a cat who believes he is a human.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Funky Valentine posted:

Morgana reveals that he really isn't a human after all, he's Ocelot who hypnotized himself into thinking he was a cat who believes he is a human.

Except he's an actual Ocelot

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

D1Sergo posted:

Except he's an actual Ocelot

This is canon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Leraika posted:

Don't worry, as others have said, the overexplaining cut scene and dialogue will be coming. It confused the hell outta me the first time I saw it too, despite having it explained to me beforehand, but the next scene should be good to clear up what happened. And if it isn't, they'll go over it a couple more times to make sure that you will understand before moving on.

KDavisJr posted:

It's quite obvious. To be :moreevil:

Also, when Ryuji says 'We got 'em' is that point where you realize who was really playing who, and you love these bunch of misfits even more :allears:

I actually kinda feel this was the real plot twist.

Yeah, these are pretty much my thoughts on this part as well, especially of the SIU Director.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Arist posted:

I can only assume this is the rest of the group.

It's the rest of the group, minus Morgana (obviously) and Akechi. The katakana reads, from top to bottom: "Group," "Joker," "Skull," "Queen," "Panther," "Inari," and "Noir."

.....katakana is about as much Japanese as I can understand these days.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Leraika posted:

Oh no, Maaku was shot in the head all right. You don't get much more shot in the head than he was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leraika posted:

No, we're loving dead as hell. What happened is that we bought that game system and earned an extra life in it. That transferred over, thanks to this whole cognition thing, so we're just going to get right back up after they toss our corpse.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I haven't played any of the Persona games but I'm vaguely aware that this is the game series where previous protagonists shot themselves in the head a lot, so I'm expecting that'll have something to do with the twist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gort posted:

I haven't played any of the Persona games but I'm vaguely aware that this is the game series where previous protagonists shot themselves in the head a lot, so I'm expecting that'll have something to do with the twist.

different thing, the p3 protagonists summoned their personas by confronting their own mortality so they had gun-shaped doodads meant to evoke the pain and fear of suicide without the actual dying bit

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RareAcumen posted:

No, we're loving dead as hell. What happened is that we bought that game system and earned an extra life in it. That transferred over, thanks to this whole cognition thing, so we're just going to get right back up after they toss our corpse.

i swear to god if this is the actual twist

edit: I can already tell that there are people who are gonna be like "lol ur so gullible" like no okay this is a series where a mascot bear grew a human body by doing enough sit-ups

"you earned an extra life in a videogame so it transferred over to the metaverse" is 100% plausible

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My guess is he shot a false cognition of Maaku, personally. After the phone.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Oxxidation posted:

different thing, the p3 protagonists summoned their personas by confronting their own mortality so they had gun-shaped doodads meant to evoke the pain and fear of suicide without the actual dying bit

Aren't they also tasers, so it's the shape plus the sudden shock of electricity that does it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lord_Magmar posted:

Aren't they also tasers, so it's the shape plus the sudden shock of electricity that does it.

No, they're... well, complicated. Short version is that they contain a chunk of the goddess Nyx and putting one to someone's head and activating it causes them to briefly perfectly understand the inevitability of death.

That probably didn't actually help explain anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kith posted:

i swear to god if this is the actual twist

edit: I can already tell that there are people who are gonna be like "lol ur so gullible" like no okay this is a series where a mascot bear grew a human body by doing enough sit-ups

"you earned an extra life in a videogame so it transferred over to the metaverse" is 100% plausible

Yeah! It's nearly impossible to say that something's 'absurd' for this game because we're taking model guns into a phone dimension and they turn into either: A pistol, shotgun, machine gun, grenade launcher, slingshot, laser gun, or assault rifle. At this point it's just a matter of 'well it would've been nice if they had mentioned that was a possibility.' Like, what if next time we go into a Palace and Haru merges with her Persona like its Digimon Frontier or something?

Stroth posted:

No, they're... well, complicated. Short version is that they contain a chunk of the goddess Nyx and putting one to someone's head and activating it causes them to briefly perfectly understand the inevitability of death.

That probably didn't actually help explain anything.

It's a magical energy focuser that happens to look like a gun because Persona 3 had a real depressing air to it. This game has you tear off masks to summon your Persona, in Persona 3 you put the not gun, AKA Evoker to your head and pulled the trigger to make it happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It's a magical energy focuser that happens to look like a gun because Persona 3 had a real depressing air to it. This game has you tear off masks to summon your Persona, in Persona 3 you put the not gun, AKA Evoker to your head and pulled the trigger to make it happen.

except for the twelve-year old, who gut-shoots himself

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why are the P4 cast the only ones in the newer games able to summon without any mutilation or suicidal vibes?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

except for the twelve-year old, who gut-shoots himself

Ah, fair. I totally forgot how they did it specifically.

I should've said they all turn the Not!gun on themselves in some way and then pull the trigger.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why are the P4 cast the only ones in the newer games able to summon without any mutilation or suicidal vibes?

Primarily because they accepted their Shadows are part of themselves and thus came to an understanding with their Persona. P3 Persona users have to trigger fight or flight for the power to break loose, while P5 users never really saw their own Shadows either, and just had the power well up in their times of desperate need. In terms of ease of use, it's probably P4 > P5 > P3, simply because P3 users CANNOT use their Personae without that extra tool.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Prythian posted:

Primarily because they accepted their Shadows are part of themselves and thus came to an understanding with their Persona. P3 Persona users have to trigger fight or flight for the power to break loose, while P5 users never really saw their own Shadows either, and just had the power well up in their times of desperate need. In terms of ease of use, it's probably P4 > P5 > P3, simply because P3 users CANNOT use their Personae without that extra tool.

iirc the Arena games expand on this. It's mentioned that they CAN summon without evokers, but it's difficult. Except in the TV world, where summoning a Persona is apparently inherently much easier, so everyone does it without an external tool.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

During the Arena games while the P3 cast is inside the TV world they notice they're able to summon their personas at will without an evoker. Though Mitsuru also mentions she's done that once or twice in the real world, but it was way more difficult.
Likewise the P4 cast are surprised to learn that Fuuka is able to use her persona in the real world to contact them.

Presumably if either group ended up inside a Palace then they'd get the masked intruder gimmick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Ah, fair. I totally forgot how they did it specifically.

I should've said they all turn the Not!gun on themselves in some way and then pull the trigger.

i just wanted to emphasize that ken amada is a disturbed little twerp

i think koromaru had his evoker in the form of a shock collar, too

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Actually, yeah, the TV world making things easier is a fair point.

Really, aside from the Dark Hour, all of these things are simply aspects of the collective unconsciousness, and so some thought of humanity is probably responsible for it being different for each area.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The real question is, would Evokers fire actual ammo in the Metaverse since they look pretty real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thinking about it, getting a Persona means going through one or two of the 5 stages of grief. For the record: first is Denial, second Anger, third Bargaining, fourth Depression, and finally Acceptance. Denial and Acceptance go with Persona 4, Anger with Persona 5, and Depression with Persona 3.