Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
You spend two hundred years conquering a country and some Swedish bastard takes it all in a single invasion. How do they get that claim/casus belli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I really like the notion of having interesting monastic orders and more religion / supernatural events in the game. I also hate the whole idea of demon worshippers, wouldn't want to play one, wouldn't particularly like them to have an important role in the game. Should I get Monks & Mystics? For the portraits?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

I really like the notion of having interesting monastic orders and more religion / supernatural events in the game. I also hate the whole idea of demon worshippers, wouldn't want to play one, wouldn't particularly like them to have an important role in the game. Should I get Monks & Mystics? For the portraits?

Monks & Mystics is good and you can turn demon worshippers off with a game rule so you don't need to worry there.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Trip report on the Polish-Swedish kingdom:

I realized I can just outright destroy the Swedish title. The Swedish dukes hate me anyway; if they want a civil war, my Polish vassals will help me crush them. And now that I check, it actually replaces the "foreign conqueror" and "usurper" penalties so you are actually no worse off and the penalty will go away in ten years regardless. Edit: no, that's not right, for some Swedish vassals it's replaced but for other's it's stacked. I don't know.

Before I took over this idiot had cheated on his wife and fathered two bastards. But through some events his wife loves him now and they go out falconing together. :allears: It's like he's a whole new man!

Only thing making me nervous right now is that the consensus heir for Poland (still running elective) is a cousin but he owes like... eight favours. That could be very awkward when this king croaks.

Edit 2: we did it folks, we've got a Wendish Empire with Primogeniture! I might start a new game at this point now that I've re-learned it.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 26, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

You spend two hundred years conquering a country and some Swedish bastard takes it all in a single invasion. How do they get that claim/casus belli?

Be a Germanic pagan

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I never quite understand what logic the AI uses to pick its council. I've often ended up getting awarded a position despite having mediocre stats for that position, or being given a position when my best stat is in a different category and is also way better than the current guy holding that position. I guess it has some sort of internal political/relations thing it's doing and ignores the fact that a player doesn't actually care when the game says they like someone.

Keep in mind that AI behavior varies based on traits, too - and that includes making bad decisions if they have bad traits. If the ruler is an arbitrary lunatic, that's not just a stats and modifiers thing - their AI will act like it too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The patch is going to change so much drat stuff, almost everywhere is going to be affected. The map is being reworked all over the drat place, and the crusades are being entirely reworked. And outside of that, the UI's getting a big change.

And then the DLC is going to change things for all pagans and give a bunch of events to the Baltic and Iberia. The only place that's left to play that won't be completely changed is the Muslim world far from Christianity or in the far east. Maybe I should finally grab Jade Dragon.

Some of the changes that dev diaries haven't addressed but are listed in the wiki sound real interesting too...

quote:

-Sway or Antagonize Your Neighbors: Try to win a reluctant vassal through charm and persuasion, or provoke someone you want to push into conflict.
-Coronations: Feudal kings and emperors must find clergy to crown them, since all power descends from the heavens.
-New Succession Laws: A Pagan Elder Council may have the final word in how a realm is divided among heirs, or a ruler may challenge his brother to combat to unify a realm.

And of course, the change that really changes everything and may provide for some real interesting dynamics

quote:

Shattered and Random Worlds: Start your game on a fictional map of Europe as a small realm fighting for space, or on a random map with historical analogues for the great kingdoms of yore.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am super excited for the random worlds. I'm super excited for Holy Fury in general, everything about it sounds amazing. Not super excited about updating my mod though, fuuuck.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Any advice for strarting as the Count of Vermandios in 1066?

Conquered Amiens, but the King controls Paris so I can't take the Duchy of Valois. Tried to expand into Champagne, but kept getting stomped despite save scumming. Decided just to switch to seniority and pump out as many sons as possible and mary them to heiresses.

About a hundred years later and I have inherited the Duchy of Deheubarth and two Polish counties and conquered an Irish county.

Haven't really accomplished much, although one awesome guy spent twenty years crusading all over the map, from the Holy Land, to Spain, the Baltics. He managed to get up to 27 martial.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Monks & Mystics is good and you can turn demon worshippers off with a game rule so you don't need to worry there.

Can you hunt them by joining the inquisition or some sort of holy order?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can you hunt them by joining the inquisition or some sort of holy order?

Nah, you just get your court chaplain to do it. He'll also kill bring people of other religions to you to to kill.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, you just get your court chaplain to do it. He'll also kill bring people of other religions to you to to kill.

LAME.

I want to join the Iscariot Organization and hunt demons, vampires, etc.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Charlz Guybon posted:

Conquered Amiens, but the King controls Paris so I can't take the Duchy of Valois. Tried to expand into Champagne, but kept getting stomped despite save scumming. Decided just to switch to seniority and pump out as many sons as possible and mary them to heiresses.

About a hundred years later and I have inherited the Duchy of Deheubarth and two Polish counties and conquered an Irish county.

Haven't really accomplished much, although one awesome guy spent twenty years crusading all over the map, from the Holy Land, to Spain, the Baltics. He managed to get up to 27 martial.

One of my favorite game sessions was just playing as small as possible without losing.

Just hanging out in France as a one county count sending my 300 troops to crusades and what not. Just straight kicking it all of my Counts just hung out with other royalty didn't feel the need to expand. loving owned

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've installed M&M now and I do like it. The new councillor jobs and portraits alone were worth it, and demon worshippers haven't really showed up yet even though I haven't turned them off in settings. It does seem that a lot more people are "possessed" now.

When a European character has the turban with the dangling threads, does that mean he's in the hermetic society?

Seriously though, the German lady portraits are ridiculously attractive.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Working my way towards the White Hun achievement. Started as a single province count, joined the Cult of Kali, kidnapped some poor Christian lass, secretly converted to Christendom and then spent the next century building the power of the Society of Jesus until a lucky marriage gambit netted me the Kingdom of Karnata, and the then-Herald decided it was time to come out. Im now the Emperor of Deccan, and Ive adopted a no-tolerance policy towards those filthy Hindu unbelievers who have twice now done their own secret faith gambit, and who keep converting my heirs!

I love the little stories that develop, playing this game.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

pidan posted:

When a European character has the turban with the dangling threads, does that mean he's in the hermetic society?

You can mouse over someone's portrait and it will say what society they're in if it's a public one.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
1221 and my Karling game is starting to pick up steam. I have 5 Welsh counties and 4 Irish ones. Inherited another French county as well.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to gain independence in the near future though.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

catlord posted:

I am super excited for the random worlds. I'm super excited for Holy Fury in general, everything about it sounds amazing. Not super excited about updating my mod though, fuuuck.

I agree, lots to be excited about. My fave so far is the ability to swap your character after a successful crusade - should stop games getting boring once you’re the most powerful guy in the area and I might actually play a game to finish now.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So I’m the Zoroastrian Saffarids. It’s 889 and I’m the king of Persia and Sistan. Should I take the Abbasids’ land? They are slightly weaker than me on paper, and I got plenty of cash for mercenaries as well as an alliance with Khazaria. I just don’t want to get dogpiled on.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Sulphagnist posted:

Before I took over this idiot had cheated on his wife and fathered two bastards. But through some events his wife loves him now and they go out falconing together. :allears: It's like he's a whole new man!

Obviously he pressured her into an open relationship and she agrees because she loves him, but is having second thoughts since she realized she still feels cheated regardless. Truly a touching story that will be subjects for writers for centuries to come.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

guns for tits posted:

So I’m the Zoroastrian Saffarids. It’s 889 and I’m the king of Persia and Sistan. Should I take the Abbasids’ land? They are slightly weaker than me on paper, and I got plenty of cash for mercenaries as well as an alliance with Khazaria. I just don’t want to get dogpiled on.

Once you have the Persian Empire nobody will be able to dogpile you. Losing Persia kills Islam as a force, the western Muslims have too much trouble from the HRE.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Expanding as Zoros is a constant game of "how big are the empires around me?"

Kicking the poo poo out of the Abbasids tends to mean that the Byzantines grow uncontested but that's just how it goes. Always be checking your next-nearest neighbors after the one you're fighting to see how dangerous they are and try to stay ahead of the curve. There isn't really an easy formula for doing this because that basically IS the essence of a Zoro game, but you've already made it past the hard part.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jedit posted:

Once you have the Persian Empire nobody will be able to dogpile you.

Until Seljuk and the Mongols show up, anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Until Seljuk and the Mongols show up, anyway.

If you expand fast enough you can match the Mongols.

If you get off to a slow start, just hold off forming an empire, swear fealty to them when they show up, and let them waste themselves uselessly vs. the Byzantines and then overthrow them when they run out of event troops.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How do I play nomads?
I started as Kirghiz in the Viking Age start (with an unlocked ruler designed king with good stats), but dunno how to go all Genghis on everyone. Looks like nomads have a CB to take any adjacent province, and can either war for a whole de jure kingdom once a life, or if their pop is above a threshold. What's the general strategy for expansion and kicking settled people rear end?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What's the fastest / least disruptive way to get a playable Merovingian of the de Merohingi dynasty?

I would prefer to do this without console editing but I'm willing to resort to that if doing it "fairly" would be too much hassle. An Ironman-safe method is not necessary (and, if I'm not mistaken, is probably impossible anyways.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How do I play nomads?
I started as Kirghiz in the Viking Age start (with an unlocked ruler designed king with good stats), but dunno how to go all Genghis on everyone. Looks like nomads have a CB to take any adjacent province, and can either war for a whole de jure kingdom once a life, or if their pop is above a threshold. What's the general strategy for expansion and kicking settled people rear end?

1. Get a lot of land. No, that's not enough, get even more land. You need more land, dammit. Have enough land? No, you don't. Get more land.
2. Burn down everything that isn't in your capital. Nomads get no taxes or levies from buildings. Instead, for every empty building slot in owned provinces, they get additional manpower (ie: more empty space = more grazing grounds = more horses and dudes to ride them and kill things for you.)
3. When you're not expanding, you should be raiding. This is your primary source of income since again, you don't get taxes in the traditional sense.
4. Always keep an eye on the clans tab. This will let you know how many clans you can sustain, and how much land they expect. If you hoard all the land for yourself or create too many clans, you'll find yourself in an endless cycle of internal strife in a hurry.
5. Initially you're just trying to grow and get a lot of money/land, so use the subjugate CB against neighboring clans and weak, single province feudal counts. Once you snowball enough though, you can use the Invasion CB to really become a juggernaut and start gong full Genghis.

e. Also if you have Jade Dragon and are in the extreme east, you can take an action to raid China. This brings back a TON of wealth, but if China isn't in a state of strife (civil war, famine, etc) you risk them dropping a doomstack in your territory and wiping the floor with you.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 27, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How do I play nomads?

If you have borders with non-nomadic provinces (preferably not tribal either), send your troops to raid them for loot, sacking if you can pull it off. If you don't border non-nomadics, conquer weaker nomads until you do, though this can be a giant pain in the rear end since you can't build forts to occupy territory. Use your loot to expand your horde and upgrade the capital for more population growth, and eventually grab non-nomad provinces and pillage them to get even more loot. Completely pillaged land becomes pasture you can use to raise your population.

Your horde starts off pretty small, but it can punch a bit above its weight and usually beats a settled army in an even-strength fight. After enough raiding and pillaging, your horde size starts being limited by population instead of money, so you can start phasing out the early light infantry horde units for pure horse archer / heavy cav units, which kicks things into high gear.

Once you're large enough to launch an invasion, remember that it's a proper Invasion CB, which means you get every province they have in the de jure target kingdom, plus everything else you've occupied. It can be useful to declare for the closest kingdom for warscore and then keep sieging past 100% to get the extra territory, potentially wiping them out entirely.

For vassal khans, they get mad if you own more than 1/3 of the pasture provinces in the realm specifically, so you can hold a third while eight vassals bicker over the rest with no hope of catching you. Also, settled lands they have vassals watching out over don't count, so that can be infuriating. Try to keep each one to a de jure kingdom or two, so you can hand those out. They'll spend more time consolidating de jure territory and bickering with each other rather than subjugating a million worthless tribes or plotting to overthrow you. Also hold on to the provinces with more holdings, since the AI only cares about counties, but holdings are what boost manpower.

If a khan fucks with you and ends up in prison for treason, don't bother revoking vassals or territory, just absorb his tribe and get absolutely everything at once. If the tribe betrayed you, no one will object.

The description of nomad succession isn't perfectly accurate. It says the son or brother with the highest prestige inherits, but iirc your uncles and nephews are also eligible. Sending one off as a mercenary gets a bunch of prestige, but he might convert to a stupid religion or something in the meantime. Then again, not sending them off might result in them loving off as an adventurer and possibly becoming settled after they beat up some duke, which takes them out of the line of succession.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Things are looking very blobby in my current game:

Also, the King of France is seriously going for a Black Knight kind of thing

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's the fastest / least disruptive way to get a playable Merovingian of the de Merohingi dynasty?

I would prefer to do this without console editing but I'm willing to resort to that if doing it "fairly" would be too much hassle. An Ironman-safe method is not necessary (and, if I'm not mistaken, is probably impossible anyways.)

The problem is that, at start (unless this changed recently) he's a monk, and therefore ineligible to be given land. I just removed the trait in the console, gave him land and console switched to him. I think there's a way to jar him out of monastic life without console fuckery, but I'm not confident in that.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Burn the Apostate! but be sure to make sure they aren't kin! It's really easy to not look at the portrait of the apostate and just click "burn".

In my current ironman that I have been posting about I had a ruler in the society of Jesus as the writing appeared to be on the wall for the orthodox faith. Two generations back the emperor of the MASSIVE (50k troops) Byzantine empire became Christian and pretty much all of the counties converted. This really irritated me because I had earlier in the game defended the orthodox Byzantine empire as an independent (joined war) against 2 separate Jihads as I did not want Islam or really any other religion and their giant empires right up against my borders. I would most surely be next for invasion AND the empire was one Antioch away from mending the schism (I hope the AI can do this). So I sacrificed good Georgian lives including my whole retinue stamped out during one ill-fated battle defending the orthodox faith and the empire I am not even a part of just to have the whole Byzantine empire convert to Catholicism like 100 years later!!

Anyway Georgia, which is now a massive as kingdoms go (~24k troops) expanding far north, was the last bastion of Orthodox when I decided that if the Byzantine empire ever did de jure war on my I would get murderfucked probably even with being a member of the defensive pact against it. As such I had a new ruler that established the Society of Jesus with the aim of converting the kingdom in like 10-20 years (ruler was in mid 30s), started being a secret christian and converted my then child hier to Catholicism. My heir ended up sucking rear end stat wise so I quickly divorced my then wife married a young fertile woman and quickly pumped out a new heir. Unfortunately that ruler suddenly died 2 years later and I am in the middle of a 14 year regency. after this succession I check in on the Byzantines and the emperor is orthodox again which is actually good now because my new infant ruler is orthodox. Hopefully it sticks and we can reclaim the past glory of the orthodoxy and possibly mend the schism as the Byzantine empire now controls all orthodox holy sites.

Anyway long story short I had my patriarch hunting apostates and he finds my secret christian older brother. I, being blazed as gently caress at the time, do not pay attention to who the apostate is and burn his rear end at the stake. Now I have Kinslayer for this likely 50+ year ruler. I almost feel bad for the apostate as I had forced converted him and then in less than 5 years he burned for it. probably his fault for having non-ruling stats.

Always double check who you're burning peeps. You can always imprison and castrate! or brand and banish! Remember your options!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How do I play nomads?

You want to attack everyone and pillage their holdings this gives you money, tech points and free space for your population to grow so you get even more horde troops and gold as tax.
Only the khagan can pillage, so if you started as a khan your options are more limited until you overthrow him.
Either way since there are population thresholds on really good CBs start by taking land from other nomads, but if you're just a khan concentrate just on that as holdings are useless you and you can't burn them.
Also beware subjugation CB - you vassalize the target which is not what you want usually, to clear this land you'll have to revoke all titles, crushing rebellions that will happen.
Your capital you want to eventually place somewhere on the coast/large river with a trading post there to meet requirements for most special buildings.
Also while nomads want empty provinces those are not equal - provinces with more holding slots are worth more, also holding silk road trading posts helps income. So give away crappy provinces to your vassal khans and keep good ones for yourself.
You want to have at least 4 clans, or better yet 5 - that way they're relatively strong but not strong enough to threaten your leadership.
Also since population growth slows down as you approach the maximum it's usually a good idea to give away some land to clans, unlocking the CB(because your maximum became lower), take new land and then keep it for yourself until it's time to repeat the cycle.

Horde troops are like retinues, but you'll use them for most wars since you have no levy. But location of your capital unlocks some new types of horde, notably you have to be in South or Western Europe for purely heavy cav unit or in the desert for camel cavalry.
Horse archers kinda suck now, their tactics harm light cavalry strength, so go with light cavalry at the start and then mix in the heavy when you're rich.
Why heavier units are important is this - all hordes use 250 manpower, but difference in power of 250 lights and 250 heavies is colossal, and manpower is usually becoming the limiting factor, not the gold.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 27, 2018

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've actually seen the AI start a revolt on behalf of that one guy after Karloman pissed off enough of the French nobility.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I had an extra thought the other day. I actively invest in my vassal's holdings e.g. upgrading all of their tribes so they can convert to feudalism. BUT I never get any credit. I do this so they can be their own agents and go forth and conquer. I distribute the Kingdom's wealth but never get any goodwill for it. My vassals have to know who is footing the 250g bill to upgrade their castle towns. It would make a lot of sense to get like a X year +10 opinion for "Invested in my demesne" if you spend money upgrading your vassals

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I've actually seen the AI start a revolt on behalf of that one guy after Karloman pissed off enough of the French nobility.

Yeah this is what I ended up doing, after several infuriating attempts at de-monking him through making him a city or church vassal (the game kept telling me I wasn't allowed to play as a Republic even though I own the Republic DLC.)

Of course the problem now is that immediately catapulted me into rulership of all of France, as shortly after switching to him, an AI faction in Middle Francia also decided to make me king, and I just don't have the energy to untangle an empire-sized realm right after I just started playing. :v:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah this is what I ended up doing, after several infuriating attempts at de-monking him through making him a city or church vassal (the game kept telling me I wasn't allowed to play as a Republic even though I own the Republic DLC.)

You can only play as a merchant republic, which needs to have a sea port in its capital. Maybe there's some other conditions too, but if your capital is not on the shore you can't play as that republic.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

pidan posted:

You can only play as a merchant republic, which needs to have a sea port in its capital. Maybe there's some other conditions too, but if your capital is not on the shore you can't play as that republic.

Capital has to be a sea port, and has to be a duchy or higher rank

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
I've got the "want to play CK2, but can't because the forthcoming expansion feels too essential" sickness real bad with Holy Fury.

Anyone have any LPs to recommend? I think I've pretty much gone through all the SA ones (byzLP, immortal pope, old men telling stories), but I don't know where else people post good LPs. The few on the paradox forums I've looked at have been pretty bad and hard to get through. SSLPs only- I mostly read them at work.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

mythomanic posted:

I've got the "want to play CK2, but can't because the forthcoming expansion feels too essential" sickness real bad with Holy Fury.

Anyone have any LPs to recommend? I think I've pretty much gone through all the SA ones (byzLP, immortal pope, old men telling stories), but I don't know where else people post good LPs. The few on the paradox forums I've looked at have been pretty bad and hard to get through. SSLPs only- I mostly read them at work.

just play dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm doing another Venice run because I won't miss it once holy fury drops.

• Locked thread