Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Was it really a draw? I put a fiver on that lol

58-57 57-57 57-57 on the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jippa posted:

Stamina in any fight sport is ridiculous. You have to train for years to get it. That is why I questioned the rounds.

I mean, I'm familiar with how the sport works, but Paul didn't have to outlast GGG, he had to outlast his opponent: another youtuber who can't box. KSI had the better pacing and stamina in the fight and it's how he managed to keep it to a draw despite getting outboxed in the first two rounds.

E: I mean, that's assuming this wasn't all scripted. And given that they apparently had a two fight deal signed, it might have been.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 26, 2018

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean, I'm familiar with how the sport works, but Paul didn't have to outlast GGG, he had to outlast his opponent: another youtuber who can't box. KSI had the better pacing and stamina in the fight and it's how he managed to keep it to a draw despite getting outboxed in the first two rounds.

E: I mean, that's assuming this wasn't all scripted. And given that they apparently had a two fight deal signed, it might have been.

We all got distracted with these nonsense fights.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Paul didn't have to outlast GGG

how much do I have to pay to get this match signed

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1033547935076642816

https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1033547627512573952

Unlike the Pauls or KSI and Deji, Issac Dogboe is the absolute goods

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Not sure I get Pedraza's current strategy

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not sure I get Pedraza's current strategy

I didn't see it either but Beltran really faded late. Probably lost his belt but (hopefully, you never know these days) gets to stay in the country.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah looking back, I'm not really one to question Pedraza mixing it up and I guess making Beltran expend more energy. His defence was good and he never really got hit with anything too damaging meanwhile he kept putting these stinging jabs out. Good fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i keep forgetting ggg / canelo 2 is fast approaching. how does everyone see it going? i'll be putting money on a draw regardless, but i'm not sure how the actual fight will play out because of two main wild cards:

1) does the recent drug scandal mean that canelo will be on heroic amounts of steroids or no steroids for the rematch? im not sure how it works in boxing but is there a way that enough money will allow canelo to be glowing en-route to the ring and piss clean or is there still some integrity in that department? if integrity exists and canelo goes in there unassisted and the first fight was him fully assisted then i don't like canelo's chances.

2) ggg is now 400 years old. he looked great against matriosyan but that tells us literally nothing. has time affected his stamina or power?

i'd like to see ggg work canelo's body a whole bunch more and really put the screws to his stamina. a focus to the body i honestly believe could lead to him winning a stoppage victory. if canelo goes in fully assisted AND time has degraded ggg a touch AND canelo fights the fight of his life i could see him winning a legitimate decision.

that's just me though and i don't really know boxing. what's y'alls hot takes? how will it play out?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes, some fantastic shots in those vids.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i keep forgetting ggg / canelo 2 is fast approaching. how does everyone see it going? i'll be putting money on a draw regardless, but i'm not sure how the actual fight will play out because of two main wild cards:

1) does the recent drug scandal mean that canelo will be on heroic amounts of steroids or no steroids for the rematch? im not sure how it works in boxing but is there a way that enough money will allow canelo to be glowing en-route to the ring and piss clean or is there still some integrity in that department? if integrity exists and canelo goes in there unassisted and the first fight was him fully assisted then i don't like canelo's chances.

2) ggg is now 400 years old. he looked great against matriosyan but that tells us literally nothing. has time affected his stamina or power?

i'd like to see ggg work canelo's body a whole bunch more and really put the screws to his stamina. a focus to the body i honestly believe could lead to him winning a stoppage victory. if canelo goes in fully assisted AND time has degraded ggg a touch AND canelo fights the fight of his life i could see him winning a legitimate decision.

that's just me though and i don't really know boxing. what's y'alls hot takes? how will it play out?

1) It's not entirely clear how Canelo might have been using PEDs the first time or how much he was, but if he was he's certainly using less now. As part of his deal in may he basically had to agree to a whole bunch of extra testing. There are ways to use performance enhancers and dodge tests, but as the biggest current draw in the sport, he would have already been using those methods and the stakes for failing a test would be much higher this time around.

2) GGG is 36. That's older than he's ever been in the past (:v:) and it certainly puts him in decline of his career, but exactly where between about 35 and 40 a boxer really falls off isn't super predictable these days. GGG's style doesn't emphasize speed and as far as I know he's not had a lot of trouble with injuries and those are two things that age fighters a bit quicker. In recent times, we've seen a 39 year old Manny Pacquiao beat the poo poo out of Matthysse, a 40 year old Klitschko nearly beat Anthony Joshua, a 40 year old Adonis Stevenson fight Badou Jack to a draw and Mayweather beat all of his challengers with ease when he was age 36-40. GGG has almost certainly declined, but I don't see him dropping off that much from last year unless stuff has been going on that we're not aware of.

E: I actually have no clue who will win. I want GGG to win and I think he can, but it'll all be in who makes the better adjustments.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
GGG should have won the first fight with scores of 116-112 and 115-113. Canelo's will have been off the juice and on the shelf for a year, meanwhile GGG proved he's still a beast with his one sided destruction of Martirosyan, more importantly he got a fight in to stay busy. 36 is not particularly old if you don't rely entirely on speed, and you haven't taken a ton of damage throughout your career. I expect the same GGG from the first fight in the second fight.

I honestly can't see how Canelo *legitimately* beats GGG unless GGG has really lost a step. I'm still very scared that they'll rob GGG because he's an old Kazakh who doesn't sell tickets all that well by himself, and Canelo is the young cash cow. For that reason I'm hoping that GGG knocks Canelo out, but that seems unlikely. Most likely outcome by far is GGG wins 7 or 8 rounds of the fight. What the judges decide to do is out of his hands.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
So I've just started taking amateur boxing more seriously, and an especially sore point of debate I've discovered is on the matter of clinching.

I'm an average height guy with an average reach, but most boxers seem to be taller and have more reach than me. So obviously my strategy has been to get on their inside and work the body, but oftentimes they immediately clinch and prevent me from doing much. I know this is illegal to use as a strategy but it seems that so many boxers make it part of their repertoire, it is never penalised. This is something I notice a lot of outboxers that have a height advantage doing, and a lot of people defend it as part of the nature of the sport, whilst others acknowledge it should be cracked down on. It just seems like there are comparatively few recent pro or amateur matches where the shorter guy can actually get any momentum going.

It feels like the advantage the shorter guy has if they are able to get on the inside is completely negated whilst the tall guy will always retain their advantage. But I'm relatively new to this, what does the thread think and are there any really good fights where I can watch someone overcome this?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I remember the great over analyzer Connor Ruebusch had a video about infighting that was relevant to this, but he's since deleted it for some reason. I'm not boxing coach, so don't take this as serious advice, but the thing to do when somebody clinches and you want to fight on the inside is to essentially wrestle better. It's something like keeping your arms on the inside so you have more leverage, posting a bit with you elbow to give yourself space and then firing uppercuts or hooks on the inside. This is pretty difficult to do properly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ocrassus posted:

So I've just started taking amateur boxing more seriously, and an especially sore point of debate I've discovered is on the matter of clinching.

I'm an average height guy with an average reach, but most boxers seem to be taller and have more reach than me. So obviously my strategy has been to get on their inside and work the body, but oftentimes they immediately clinch and prevent me from doing much. I know this is illegal to use as a strategy but it seems that so many boxers make it part of their repertoire, it is never penalised. This is something I notice a lot of outboxers that have a height advantage doing, and a lot of people defend it as part of the nature of the sport, whilst others acknowledge it should be cracked down on. It just seems like there are comparatively few recent pro or amateur matches where the shorter guy can actually get any momentum going.

It feels like the advantage the shorter guy has if they are able to get on the inside is completely negated whilst the tall guy will always retain their advantage. But I'm relatively new to this, what does the thread think and are there any really good fights where I can watch someone overcome this?

There's a fairly low traffic boxing specific training thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483721
and slightly more active martial arts thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003

If you're getting tied up by the limbs of the longer boxer, you have to
1) use your leverage to your advantage -- outmuscle his longer arms with your torso and shorter arms.
2) be slipperier, anticipate the tieup, and find ways to break out. Get your head on their collarbones and keep space between your hips. Push off their chest or punch out on their gut.

> So obviously my strategy has been to get on their inside and work the body, but oftentimes they immediately clinch and prevent me from doing much.
One or two solid punches before a clinch every exchange would be imo a very successful workrate on the body. If you are almost always getting clinched before you can land, you just have to keep working at getting inside to your range and landing the first shot.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Appreciate the advice thanks. Didn’t know there was a workout thread but, in my defence, I’m also curious about what the actual spectator opinion of clinching is like. Since it seems to draw such strong reactions from both sides?

E: also some vid recommendations outside of like.. a bullrushing Tyson, would be ideal if you know any since I’m looking for fights to learn from.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I think that wrestling is an underappreciated part of boxing, and infighting in general is too quickly stopped, and the refs should more often let the fighters work out of clinches.

Mayweather doesn't merely clinch because he's a shady dude that will approach cheating to win, which might be a popular perception of him, he clinches because he's actually a very good wrestler (within boxing) and his opponents can't stop him from man handling them.

Im also not any sort of trainer or good boxer, but just for encouragement I'll say that you should get your coach or someone else to help you work on your infighting. The first time one of those longer boxers clinches and learns that you're getting your hands free and hitting them with short hooks, things are gonna change for the better (for you).

Link! https://youtu.be/zbVHQHpHWqw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Try looking at these breakdowns for Roberto Duran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVHQHpHWqw
I guess an obvious thing to ask is, when you're getting tied up, what do you do in response.
If you're only getting in there and trying to land combos without anticipating having to do any answering clinchwork, that might be why you're getting tied up so easily.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Andre Ward isn't short, but he's also a pretty good infighter. The fights with Kovalev are a good example where one guy is the stronger fighter at range (Kovalev) and the other would rather take the fight close (Ward) so every time they get close Kovalev tries to clinch, while Ward tries to wrestle out of it and punch. It's obviously a very close fight, but if you want to see the best in the sport try to wrestle out of a clinch, that's the fight to watch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ocrassus posted:

Appreciate the advice thanks. Didn’t know there was a workout thread but, in my defence, I’m also curious about what the actual spectator opinion of clinching is like. Since it seems to draw such strong reactions from both sides?

E: also some vid recommendations outside of like.. a bullrushing Tyson, would be ideal if you know any since I’m looking for fights to learn from.

I think that boxers should be allowed to hold and hit, and that kidney punches should be allowed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Curtis Harper was supposedly going to be on the Sirius Xm boxing show but was told not to by the Minnesota state Athletic commission because they are investigating his claim that he got screwed by Ringstar Sports so I guess well find out soon if he was making a point or just a coward

Edit: According to the host Randy Gordon, Harper told him he never received a contract and waited until the fight began (apparently he thought he would still get one even that late) and when a contract wasn't there he walked out.

EDIT: VVVV Yeah that was kind of weird to me to and I wonder if it was just Gordon misremembering what he was told or Harper misspeaking but lol if Harper thought Richard Schaefer was going to be waiting in the ring with the contract like loving Vince McMahon

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 28, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm imagining a dude running into the ring with a contract to sign as efe waits in the other corner

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

how was he gonna sign it with his gloves on

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

thehappyprince posted:

how was he gonna sign it with his gloves on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udl7A1mWEg0

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

drat I didn't notice that Alvarez was apparently stripped of his ring belt and removed from their rankings earlier this year.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
And the award for most misleading tweet goes to

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1034923185395957761

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In anticipation of Danny Garcia-Shawn Porter on the 8th, Showtime has uploaded both Garcia-Thurman and Thurman-Porter to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxpKpqqAVlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7Hczuif30

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 1, 2018

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

sad we never got thurman vs brook tbh. what a fight that would've been

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
There were rumblings that Keith Thurman was going to fight in August, obviously that didn't happen. It's been a year and a half and he doesn't have anything even close to scheduled, and it doesn't look like he's going to fight this year. He seems done to me.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

There were rumblings that Keith Thurman was going to fight in August, obviously that didn't happen. It's been a year and a half and he doesn't have anything even close to scheduled, and it doesn't look like he's going to fight this year. He seems done to me.

Random comments from my dad today, "I guess Keith Thurman is retired now huh. Too many good fighters and a baked in injury excuse after a strong run. Good for him."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i seriously cannot stop forgetting that this fight is going to happen really soon. canelo / ggg 24/7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPH9XLB3QVw

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Marching Powder posted:

i seriously cannot stop forgetting that this fight is going to happen really soon. canelo / ggg 24/7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPH9XLB3QVw

I thought that the first fight was pretty drat good (despite not being the bloodbath that some wanted), and I honestly think this one will be better.

No more feeling out, and I think we're going to see some sick body work from both guys (hopefully with bad loving intentions)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm so loving hype for that fight. The first fight was very loving good and hopefully they pick up exactly where they left off.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I'm both of the opinion that Canelo cannot hurt Golovkin but also that Golovkin's aged to where Canelo can actually box to win a clean decision and I'm still sticking to those.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think they can both hurt each other but in the first fight they never gave each other the chance

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
During the second half of the first fight Golovkin definitely appeared to think that Canelo couldn't hurt him because he was coming forward a lot more aggressively. I also don't think you can tell if he's aged or not from a round and a half.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Right, I guess I should give the caveat that I think Canelo can hurt GGG if GGG is a human being who can be hurt.

I do think that's why Golovkin didn't do that many body shots though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I do think that's why Golovkin didn't do that many body shots though.

same, and it was baffling. canelo's head movement is good, but his body was there to be whaled on. if golovkin works his body with the traditional bad intentions i do believe he can still put canelo away.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've seen some reports that Golovkin is dropping people with jabs and that he's never looked so motivated or fearsome in sparring. It's probably just big talk but I'm sure hoping that's the case. I think Golovkin was more respectful of Alvarez' power than he perhaps needed to be and that in a rematch he'd be well-served to start stalking earlier and forget about trading on the outside.

I'm sorta wondering what kind of Canelo we're going to get. I'm still very skeptical of "tainted meat" claims no matter how the B-test came out. One point that Richard Dwyer made about this fight is that if Canelo has indeed been doping, or suspects his training team of doping him, then he may come into this fight with some anxiety of how he'll do off substances. All the talk I've seen suggests that's not the case and that Canelo feels aggrieved and is hungry to clear his name. So we'll see.

I'm expecting some more crazy judging shenanigans for any reasonably competitive fight, like another draw, but I kinda think it's more likely the fight ends early. It does seem like the fight hype has been more personal than usual.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Showtime just signed a 3-year extension with PBC so that should hopefully speed things along. But jesus I hope Thurman is getting paid, he's in the prime of his career and barely fighting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like the information gained from the first fight is far more beneficial to Golovkin.

He seemed to be more reserved than usual whereas I don’t really see anything about what Canelo did changing at all this time.