Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh slyfrog you always know just what to say! Please move into my guest room and teach me warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SlyFrog posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it. To be clear, I've seen four psychiatrists over a little less than the last ten years.

I am torn about agreeing to just say, "This is what it is going to be like, just manage it," because I want to be hopeful, and try to hope I can ultimately find contentedness and serenity, not just pain management. Believe me though, I have thought about it, because there are times where I almost think it might be easier to just surrender and say, "This is what I feel like, and is likely what I'm going to feel like, now just to manage it as best I can."

I did not take anything you said as downplaying my own efforts to find help, don't worry.

As a deteriorating anxiety ball, I'm honestly having the most trouble dealing with how I think people perceive me and the general cost of failure. I can't seem to let go of result anxiety as if there's anything I can realistically do (other than litigate competently) to affect the outcome of a case than what I'm already doing. There might be, but I don't have the training, the tutelage nor the resources to deliver a perfect performance. As a central personality trait, I constantly measure myself up to some platonic ideal of absolute perfection and naturally I always fall short, which I feel like I'm constantly waiting to be punished for. I know that's hosed up and unrealistic and that I can't do anything about it, but that doesn't stop me.

What I'm learning is that all this mental stress is out of my control much like a broken leg won't work no matter how hard I might try. So, my plan is to change the only thing I can change, which is my circumstances. I plan to find a new job doing something where I have actual stability and a more predictable metric of success, change my personal habits back towards more healthy things and try to regain some measure of personal satisfaction in my professional life and my personal life.

It sounds to me like you're already doing the needful things you have to to get better, and that your circumstances are changed and are changing for you either voluntarily or involuntarily. I've also been told that the deeper the pit has been dug, the longer it takes to climb out. To me, that says you're on the right trajectory towards whatever you need for your situation to improve and you're actively working towards improving it by making an effort in all sorts of directions. That means you're doing exactly what you should. Keep at trying, and remember to have patience with yourself because the road might be long.

And if it all goes to poo poo there's always drug dealing.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nice piece of fish posted:

As a deteriorating anxiety ball, I'm honestly having the most trouble dealing with how I think people perceive me and the general cost of failure. I can't seem to let go of result anxiety as if there's anything I can realistically do (other than litigate competently) to affect the outcome of a case than what I'm already doing. There might be, but I don't have the training, the tutelage nor the resources to deliver a perfect performance. As a central personality trait, I constantly measure myself up to some platonic ideal of absolute perfection and naturally I always fall short, which I feel like I'm constantly waiting to be punished for. I know that's hosed up and unrealistic and that I can't do anything about it, but that doesn't stop me.

What I'm learning is that all this mental stress is out of my control much like a broken leg won't work no matter how hard I might try. So, my plan is to change the only thing I can change, which is my circumstances. I plan to find a new job doing something where I have actual stability and a more predictable metric of success, change my personal habits back towards more healthy things and try to regain some measure of personal satisfaction in my professional life and my personal life.

It sounds to me like you're already doing the needful things you have to to get better, and that your circumstances are changed and are changing for you either voluntarily or involuntarily. I've also been told that the deeper the pit has been dug, the longer it takes to climb out. To me, that says you're on the right trajectory towards whatever you need for your situation to improve and you're actively working towards improving it by making an effort in all sorts of directions. That means you're doing exactly what you should. Keep at trying, and remember to have patience with yourself because the road might be long.

And if it all goes to poo poo there's always drug dealing.

Why would you go into drug dealing? It's just another oversaturated entry level market, and I think you already have the resources (isolated cabin) for a snitch disposal startup

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hoshi posted:

Why would you go into drug dealing? It's just another oversaturated entry level market, and I think you already have the resources (isolated cabin) for a snitch disposal startup

Maybe I'll start keeping pigs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
You just need a wood chipper.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
in this context is warhammer a euphemism for butt stuff

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Soothing Vapors posted:

in this context is warhammer a euphemism for butt stuff

There is no other context, that's the plain meaning of the text

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no other context, that's the plain meaning of the text

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I want him to put a space marine in my rear end.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I want him to put a space marine in my rear end.

Oh you sweet, summer child. It's called a Powerfist.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlyFrog posted:

Oh you sweet, summer child. It's called a Powerfist.

Chainfist seems more stimulating

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Honestly I would have let slyfrog move in with me so he could teach me warhammer.

But then he liked Hillbilly Elegy.

I've got the opposite issue. Read what you want, but only quality tabletop gaming in this household.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Career services emailed me about a state job posting about to go up. No benefit contract position at $23/hr. I interviewed at that state agency in the same office in May. They were paying $26/hr then. :lol:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hey folks, look like I have a second round interview for an interesting in-house position coming up (not a typical corporate client but I'd not say more yet). For reference I'm a midlevel transactional associate at an NYC biglaw shop. Any tips on preparing for/what to expect in an interview for an in-house position, particularly one that's related to, but not directly in, my current practice area?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

Hey folks, look like I have a second round interview for an interesting in-house position coming up (not a typical corporate client but I'd not say more yet). For reference I'm a midlevel transactional associate at an NYC biglaw shop. Any tips on preparing for/what to expect in an interview for an in-house position, particularly one that's related to, but not directly in, my current practice area?

I don't have any tips but I would also love to see some responses to this.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

I've got the opposite issue. Read what you want, but only quality tabletop gaming in this household.

So only a bespoke D&D 3.5 in the Faerun setting with zero munchkin and railroading and quality writing from the DM?

Same.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think we had a tabletop rpg argument in here a year ago and I am ready and willing to explain how you, yes you, play badly and how the system I like is correct and good and objectively better

for starters, any rpg released in the 2000s is trash and so is any homebrew based on it

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Bunch of nerds up in here. Now excuse me while I go play Dota 2.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My review company asked me to mail in my key until a new project comes online. At least I can get to work on my Netflix/Hulu/Amazon backlog.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

I think we had a tabletop rpg argument in here a year ago and I am ready and willing to explain how you, yes you, play badly and how the system I like is correct and good and objectively better

for starters, any rpg released in the 2000s is trash and so is any homebrew based on it

I didn't need to go out even three years to prove you objectively wrong.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I didn't need to go out even three years to prove you objectively wrong.

I assume that he's referring specifically to tabletop RPGs.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

mastershakeman posted:

Additionally, if you disagree, then you are no true board gamer and actually hate the genre

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

My review company asked me to mail in my key until a new project comes online. At least I can get to work on my Netflix/Hulu/Amazon backlog.

hooray I'm not the only one unemployed.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

hooray I'm not the only one unemployed.

I'm also technically unemployed, but I have described the story quite thoroughly and I also have freelance research and litigation projects, so

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Oh my god it was all real, wasn't it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vox Nihili posted:

Toona has always been real, friend.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I really want Get Money to be real and replace Toona 3-4 yrs from now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have no doubt GET MONEY is real, too. We're all real, and we're all real dumb.

I hate to say it because I think he's the worst of us all in here, but Throatwarbler is the smartest of the law students/recent grads if we go by job offers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

In 10 years GET MONEY will be here on the SomethingAwful VR forums (presented by Amazon Web Services) telling new hopefuls (outside the US, of course) about how he was totally on the fast track to partner until Trump outlawed the practice of law in 2025.

Most of us will be dead by that point, of course.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Apocalypse World solved the riddle of how to design tabletop and all RPGs about being a law student must now be AW reskins and written in IRAC form.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Everything is real. You, me, Toona.

Even Throatwarbler's emails...

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

mastershakeman posted:

Quite honestly, psychosomatic. Uncomfortable getting too into it but it's a lot closer to you than not. But my friends have all commented theyre shocked she's able to maintain disability for what appears to be anxiety manifesting in physical symptoms. I'm not kidding when I say I wish my wife could get on this somehow - yours is through work not SSDI right?

Right, though they make you apply for anything else you can get (including SSDI) as a condition of it (as they obviously want to offset by anything they can).

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah you're in the exact same boat as my wife. Huge anxiety about how going back to full time work will physically kill her, then anxiety about not being able to afford our mortgage because I can't find a real job

I completely understand this. Not exactly the same position, but comparable, because I worry that it's just me - there is no fall back. If I run out of money, there is no spouse who could work or pick up the slack.

mastershakeman posted:

You're welcome to come stay in my spare bedroom if you can put up with a toddler

The real question is whether the toddler could put up with me. :)

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

Apocalypse World solved the riddle of how to design tabletop and all RPGs about being a law student must now be AW reskins and written in IRAC form.

Roll 2d6+Sperg. On a 10+, join big law, get a divorce, then kill yourself. On a 7-9, join small law, suffer financial ruin, then kill yourself. On a miss, post the emails.

Of course Sperg rolls are normalized on a bell curve so there's a 90% chance of landing in the middle irrespective of intelligence or effort.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have no doubt GET MONEY is real, too. We're all real, and we're all real dumb.

I hate to say it because I think he's the worst of us all in here, but Throatwarbler is the smartest of the law students/recent grads if we go by job offers.

My grades sucked(slightly above median), my work history had a lot of difficult to explain problems, I'm generally not a good interviewer(boy did I have some bad interviews) and I struck out completely in NY. Ultimately what saved me was that I knew going in my odds weren't good, and applied to every single market I could find, even really insular ones like CA, the PNW and SE, *and* came up with a reasonable story for why I wanted that market when I had no ties, and swallowed my pride and continued to cold-email people despite the first few efforts failing spectacularly - that TLS thread about networking really works, just be a little less goony than me and run stuff by career services before sending it out. Classmates with better stats than me struck out because they were too confident in getting a job in their preferred market and ignored other markets until it was too late.

Ultimately I was literally the only person from my class to end up in this market(a friend got an offer too, but had better stats and better offers) where very few alumni worked - Just out of curiosity I went through the websites of all the big local firms and even solo practitioners and there are likely less than 10 (probably less than 5) alumni working in this market in total.

I wasn't trolling when I said Career Services asked me to do a talk on the experience because none of the firms/offices in that market has ever come to OCI at my school and it just wasn't on anyone's radar. Even the recruiting person at the firm was really curious as to how I even found them and asked me a lot of questions about it, which I strongly suspect she didn't ask of the other summers who mostly had ties to the area and/or came from regional lower T14s or local schools with a strong presence in the market and a lot of alumni already at the firm.

TL;DR: Sometimes it works out if you try like hell but it's mostly still just dumb luck. Don't go to law school, probably.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

So cripplingly real.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's absolutely insane that you've transitioned to "Actually, my career search was so successful the career office says I'm the coolest."

post the email;s

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
New interview rule: ask about the chosen people

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Vox Nihili posted:

In 10 years GET MONEY will be here on the SomethingAwful VR forums (presented by Amazon Web Services) telling new hopefuls (outside the US, of course) about how he was totally on the fast track to partner until Trump outlawed the practice of law in 2025.

Most of us will be dead by that point, of course.

Lol like lowtax is ever going to update the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

My grades sucked(slightly above median), my work history had a lot of difficult to explain problems, I'm generally not a good interviewer(boy did I have some bad interviews) and I struck out completely in NY. Ultimately what saved me was that I knew going in my odds weren't good, and applied to every single market I could find, even really insular ones like CA, the PNW and SE, *and* came up with a reasonable story for why I wanted that market when I had no ties, and swallowed my pride and continued to cold-email people despite the first few efforts failing spectacularly - that TLS thread about networking really works, just be a little less goony than me and run stuff by career services before sending it out. Classmates with better stats than me struck out because they were too confident in getting a job in their preferred market and ignored other markets until it was too late.

Ultimately I was literally the only person from my class to end up in this market(a friend got an offer too, but had better stats and better offers) where very few alumni worked - Just out of curiosity I went through the websites of all the big local firms and even solo practitioners and there are likely less than 10 (probably less than 5) alumni working in this market in total.

I wasn't trolling when I said Career Services asked me to do a talk on the experience because none of the firms/offices in that market has ever come to OCI at my school and it just wasn't on anyone's radar. Even the recruiting person at the firm was really curious as to how I even found them and asked me a lot of questions about it, which I strongly suspect she didn't ask of the other summers who mostly had ties to the area and/or came from regional lower T14s or local schools with a strong presence in the market and a lot of alumni already at the firm.

TL;DR: Sometimes it works out if you try like hell but it's mostly still just dumb luck. Don't go to law school, probably.
fascinating, definitely true stuff. oh, by the way, post the emails