Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Shockeh posted:

How the sweet Jesus did those White Scars get their recessing done so well? :smithicide:

Army painter insane brush and lots of patience. Out of each mini, I’d say 2/3 of the time painting is pinwashing.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

OhDearGodNo posted:

Army painter insane brush and lots of patience. Out of each mini, I’d say 2/3 of the time painting is pinwashing.

Someone really, really ought to tell you about enamel washes

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fuegan posted:

Army August!

I need to get back to painting some more of these guys, especially since I'm hoping to take them to WHW in November. Kind of sad that this is the most I've ever painted for one army in my however many years of hobbying, and still got a bunch of models to do for it.

Nihilakh Dynasty Necrons, assemble!

HQ

Necron Lord and Overlord

Cryptek

Troops

Warriors

Immortals

Fast Attack

Destroyer

Canoptek Scarabs

Heavy Support

Canoptek Spyder

Doomsday Ark

This is lovely. Great scheme well-executed.

One_Wing posted:

Goddamit, I specifically asked him “are you sure that doesn’t have a 3++ limit, most of them do now”. On looking at the FAQ, he also didn’t discard the lowest dice when using Psychic channelling.

Oh well, i made a small (vastly less relevant, but whatever) rules error in that game too, and still won in the end, so water under the bridge.

Yeah it was the first place my mind went because I remembered GK players crowing about it for about two weeks before GW went "uh gently caress no" and FAQed it. The only 2++ in the game right now are the Ogryn Bodyguards, Bullgryns with brute shields, and Shadowfields.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Frobbe posted:

I just watched a Humbrol video on this - so you paint and highlight, varnish, then wash?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Frobbe posted:

Why would you post this and not actually describe what you are referring to?

Any chance in being helpful as opposed to just witty?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Yeah uh, I have been frantically googling it all morning now too. Can I get the same effect with gloss varnish?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Frobbe posted:

Tell me about enamel washes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Arven posted:

Yeah uh, I have been frantically googling it all morning now too. Can I get the same effect with gloss varnish?

Ok so I’m going to assume Frobbe was referring to sealing and applying spirits to allow a wash to flow better through a recess.

I already do this, except with acrylic washes. After I airbrush the last coat of white I varnish the model with a semi gloss coat to seal it.

The wash I use is a 4:1 or so mix of Nuln and Nightshade, then a little water and flow improved in it.

Yep same concept mostly works in that you touch the brush into the recesses and the ink just kinda flows off the brush... however this doesn’t always work.

First, you don’t have full control always on the flow, and what happens is the ink will sometimes try to go into places you don’t want it to.

Second, my shade level depends on the angle of the crevice. For example for a plate joint or the shoulder pad trim it’s heavy, however for the helmets and fingers it is lighter which brings out more of the blue just like a shadow on white would naturally do.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ok so I’m going to assume Frobbe was referring to sealing and applying spirits to allow a wash to flow better through a recess.

I already do this, except with acrylic washes. After I airbrush the last coat of white I varnish the model with a semi gloss coat to seal it.

The wash I use is a 4:1 or so mix of Nuln and Nightshade, then a little water and flow improved in it.

Yep same concept mostly works in that you touch the brush into the recesses and the ink just kinda flows off the brush... however this doesn’t always work.

First, you don’t have full control always on the flow, and what happens is the ink will sometimes try to go into places you don’t want it to.

Second, my shade level depends on the angle of the crevice. For example for a plate joint or the shoulder pad trim it’s heavy, however for the helmets and fingers it is lighter which brings out more of the blue just like a shadow on white would naturally do.

I don't know if frobbe meant to say oil washes, or if there's yet another washing technique with enamel paints. It's pretty much that technique, but with white spirits + oil paints, and it works really well because even if something does go where you don't want it to you can wipe it back off easily.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
As a bad painter, varnish then oil wash was a great trick to learn as it's both easy and effective. If there's a different trick with enamel, I would also love to know it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I never seal anything because I've got a horrible habit of needing to touch poo poo up eternally.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

JBP posted:

I never seal anything because I've got a horrible habit of needing to touch poo poo up eternally.

You can just touch up after sealing and reseal afterwards. I have models with 6+ coats of airbrush varnish and it's thin enough it doesn't show at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Felime posted:

You can just touch up after sealing and reseal afterwards. I have models with 6+ coats of airbrush varnish and it's thin enough it doesn't show at all.

Yeah, I also worry about shiny finish even though I know I can matte my models later. I like cartoony finishes and extreme highlighting and don't want any of it to get lost in a varnish. I'm just being stupid.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah, I also worry about shiny finish even though I know I can matte my models later. I like cartoony finishes and extreme highlighting and don't want any of it to get lost in a varnish. I'm just being stupid.

A satin finish is great for not dulling down your highlights too much, which matte totally will. I find gloss way too shiny except for metals.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BuffaloChicken posted:

Finally finished my Buffalo Chicken. Counts as a Chariot of Tzeentch in my Warpwoods jungle daemons army (it's moderate toughness, flies, shoots fire, and can slam things in close combat if need be). The pure white on the flames seems to have messed with the camera a bit - the final yellow highlights on the feathers are much more prominent in real life, not as muddled into the orange as they look here.

And here's the hatchlings that momma is protecting:

This gal's looking great! What's the base model (I assume it's an AOS Stormcast thingy)?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

A satin finish is great for not dulling down your highlights too much, which matte totally will. I find gloss way too shiny except for metals.

I found a 50/50 mix of gloss and satin worked great for the enameled look on my Armigers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I realised I never posted the pictures from my game with One_Wing at my tournament in August. It looks good for the Imperium in the early running, but the later pictures are Eldar sweeping into my back lines. https://imgur.com/a/yWBFWGd

Also xposting my Warglaives from the painting thread:

Corrode posted:

Finished up my Warglaive:

They're a set now:

Just the Castellan to go and I can put up a full army shot of the Knights.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I did a satin finish on a blood bowl thrower and it was too shiny for me, so YMMV. I think it would look better if the model was armored instead of skin and cloth.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Do you guys have any tips for cheaply producing melta and or plasma guns that work with Cadian models? I am worried the space marine ones might take too much work to get to fit together. I have finally settled on building an Astra Militarum kill team now that it has lowered the cost of entry into 40k and my local FLGS is pretty big on "what you see is what you get."

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Enamel washes come in many forms. My favourite might not even be enamel because God knows what Tamiya puts in their paints. Applying a gloss varnish and using products such as Tamiya panel line accent color gives fast and quick results and any mistakes can be cleaned up using odourless thinner.

https://youtu.be/ybJAFKQnYik have a gundam video that shows you the fundamentals. Basically what makes enamel washes, oil washes and whatever the gently caress Tamiya makes so cool is the ability to take it off after applying and moving it around, softening lines and other such cool things. Gundam nerds love it for this reason and so does traditional scale modelers. There are a ton of good videos on YouTube, mig Jimenez have some very educational stuff.

Also, don't buy enamel paints, that's not what you want here.

Edit: another good video on the subject
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qC2_0IUUom4

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 27, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bob Wins posted:

Do you guys have any tips for cheaply producing melta and or plasma guns that work with Cadian models? I am worried the space marine ones might take too much work to get to fit together. I have finally settled on building an Astra Militarum kill team now that it has lowered the cost of entry into 40k and my local FLGS is pretty big on "what you see is what you get."

Hit up Victoria, or Anvil Industries and just buy some. They're pretty cheap, although the shipping can be rough depending on where you are.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bob Wins posted:

Forge world's hostile environment plasma guns used to be a decent deal, but they're 9 dollars a plasma gun now. The Marine plasma guns are about the right size compared to the command squad ones. But you'll need to do some fiddling to get them in hands. Sticking them in place of flamers might be easiest.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Ah sorry I completely forgot about some of the 3rd party sites, I was searching up and down for different bits packages and everything. Also I really like the look of the cadian Hostile environment guys but after the price hike it doesn't look worth it.

Also thanks a ton!! I will post up a picture of my first painted model once I get it done.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Bob Wins posted:

Anvil Industries make good special weapons for Cadians and they're reasonably priced, assuming your FLGS tolerated 3rd party.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Felime posted:

9 dollars a plasma gun

:eyepop:

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Also, with the shipping changes, I believe it's a flat $10 for the cheapest shipping within the US. So $12 per plasma gun.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is insane how close NOVA is. Holy poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Seriously. spending tonight finishing up the display board for the White Scars- unfortunately due to the lack of time my beastmen will be staying home.

Tomorrow I’ll be working first at Lorton, and after at the Hyatt to help set up.

And on top of all that, my box of KT is STILL unopened.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Emy posted:

Also, with the shipping changes, I believe it's a flat $10 for the cheapest shipping within the US. So $12 per plasma gun.

It's 9 including shipping. Does anyone have experience grafting SM plasma onto lasrifles and if so how do they look?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

It's 9 including shipping. Does anyone have experience grafting SM plasma onto lasrifles and if so how do they look?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Meanwhile I'm eagerly waiting what balls out insanity they're planning to reveal at the seminar on wednesday.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if GW customer support is any good with missing packages?

FedEx claims a delivered GW order that I never received (and I drunkenly ordered direct from geedubs so believe me I want my fuckin money's worth). I wasn't there day-of due to an unexpected family emergency but expected several packages during that time that my friend kindly picked up. All were safely at the door or in my apartment's lease office, including another GW paint order delivered, supposedly, two days later that my friend had grabbed as a birthday gift for me. And boy fedex is no help so far.

If I got package-jacked then I hope the dirty thief chucks all the dumb toys instead of realizing he's easily got a few hundo on ebay.

On the bright side I got a secondhand DI before that, so I can practice on the primaris dudes until this gets resolved and my new DG might have a decent paint job. Haven't touched a brush since fifth. Someone name a legion and I'll do a homebrew successor scheme and post it for critique??

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 27, 2018

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Doing a marble effect for my goodie Knights.

https://instagram.com/p/Bm__ZwnjkxY/

It’s a Taranis Scheme (black/white shoulders etc) so debating blocking off one side and trying to do black on white marble to oppose the white on black marble or just leaving them as solid marble as is.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
These are all so dang good. The perfect amount of metallic and non-metallic colors.

Zark the Damned posted:

This gal's looking great! What's the base model (I assume it's an AOS Stormcast thingy)?
Thanks! Base is indeed a Stormcast thing - one of their Vanguard-Palladors. I had to cut off the rider, saddle, and straps... took a lot of greenstuff reconstruction.

Here's the model after the first round of sculpting - I used tinfoil and hot glue to fill the major holes, then greenstuffed over. The black paint helps me tell where bits need sanding, detail, etc.

The neck was too barren and the whole thing looked a bit pear-like, so I added the shaggy mane. Also helped with the "buffalo" part of the model's theme.

Next conversions are in progress and almost ready for primer. First is the Maulerfiend with lasher tendrils (Necrosphinx covered in flailing vines):

And then there's my Catachan Tank Commander with dreamy billowing hair and a messed-up right army, soon to be greenstuffed into an anatomically-correct position.

Finally, the counts-as missile launcher for my feral Freeblade Knight (a melta-crossbow just seems way cooler than the standard missiles).

the funky conversions never stop

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone know if GW customer support is any good with missing packages?

FedEx claims a delivered GW order that I never received (and I drunkenly ordered direct from geedubs so believe me I want my fuckin money's worth). I wasn't there day-of due to an unexpected family emergency but expected several packages during that time that my friend kindly picked up. All were safely at the door or in my apartment's lease office, including another GW paint order delivered, supposedly, two days later that my friend had grabbed as a birthday gift for me. And boy fedex is no help so far.

If I got package-jacked then I hope the dirty thief chucks all the dumb toys instead of realizing he's easily got a few hundo on ebay.

On the bright side I got a secondhand DI before that, so I can practice on the primaris dudes until this gets resolved and my new DG might have a decent paint job. Haven't touched a brush since fifth. Someone name a legion and I'll do a homebrew successor scheme and post it for critique??

Yeah, give them a call.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
eBay coup + birthday coming up + just got back from winning in Vegas = it's definitely Knight O'clock.

I'm planning on getting a castellan and possibly some helverins to complement my (eventual) BA army. From those who are more familiar with the codex, how's hawkshroud play and would it work with a pretty melee focused BA army? I picked hawkshroud mostly because the colors and fluff go well with BA, but it would be dope if it's a strategically sound decision too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harkano posted:

Doing a marble effect for my goodie Knights.

https://instagram.com/p/Bm__ZwnjkxY/

It’s a Taranis Scheme (black/white shoulders etc) so debating blocking off one side and trying to do black on white marble to oppose the white on black marble or just leaving them as solid marble as is.

That looks great. What's your method?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of eBay coupons there should be another coming up tomorrow (8/28) for 15% off. Details

darnon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

One_Wing posted:

Goddamit, I specifically asked him “are you sure that doesn’t have a 3++ limit, most of them do now”. On looking at the FAQ, he also didn’t discard the lowest dice when using Psychic channelling.

Oh well, i made a small (vastly less relevant, but whatever) rules error in that game too, and still won in the end, so water under the bridge.
Sanctuary doesn't improve their saves beyond 3++, but they can use their Heed the Prognosticars stratagem to get +1 to their invuln rolls. So, if the model has a 3++ (via sanctuary or otherwise), it effectively becomes a 2++.