Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

g0lbez posted:

lmao i forgot how low this was how the gently caress do people justify that? how do you even begin to live off of that?

Ohio is 8.30 and unless I'm doing math wrong that puts you above what it takes to qualify for Medicaid if you work full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

g0lbez posted:

lmao i forgot how low this was how the gently caress do people justify that? how do you even begin to live off of that?

(1) Minimum wage is punishment for __insert reason here__

Or where I’m from: (1)(a) “those kind of jobs are actually designed as ‘entry into the workforce jobs’, that’s why minimum wage needs to be low, so they have incentive to move onto better paying ones”

Exactly how they should do this usually involves some variation of “they need to earn it by working hard”, as it does

But the solo mum working multiple minimum wage jobs isn’t ‘working hard’ ofc, her reason for being poor is (1)

tl;dr - I can’t decide who to guillotine first, CEOs or their lower/middle class apologists

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

alpaca diseases posted:

tl;dr - I can’t decide who to guillotine first, CEOs or their lower/middle class apologists

umm guillotine the CEOs and toss the rest in the gulags?? idk

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I actually had to google what a gulag was and sure yeah that sounds fine

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

alpaca diseases posted:

(1) Minimum wage is punishment for __insert reason

Not going to college or a Mike Row rant about going to college when you shoulda just got a job. Whatevers the opposite of what you did to end up there.

Please dont kill me I'm lower middle class and ashamed at the state of everything.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Len posted:

Ohio is 8.30 and unless I'm doing math wrong that puts you above what it takes to qualify for Medicaid if you work full time.

Working as intended. To gently caress the poor.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

is pepsi ok posted:

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1033416767249571842

:thinkingmarxfaceexpandingtothesizeoftheuniverse:

So how much of this is due to Internet efficiencies, automation, etc? I mean labor laws, min wages tied to something other than the good graces of politicians, etc, suck balls but the article didn’t mention it. The last 10 years a lot has changed (but not labor laws).

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
also when your coworkers bitch about their jobs all day and then say "oh yeah unions had their time but theyre outdated and unneccessary now"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oscar Wild posted:

They are different. You can't live on minimum wage. They should name it zombie wage, or skeleton wage.

"i'd pay you less but that would be illegal" wage

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Away all Goats posted:

Unless you own a restaurant for some weird reason that everyone has no choice but to accept

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

alpaca diseases posted:

(1) Minimum wage is punishment for __insert reason here__

Or where I’m from: (1)(a) “those kind of jobs are actually designed as ‘entry into the workforce jobs’, that’s why minimum wage needs to be low, so they have incentive to move onto better paying ones”

Exactly how they should do this usually involves some variation of “they need to earn it by working hard”, as it does

But the solo mum working multiple minimum wage jobs isn’t ‘working hard’ ofc, her reason for being poor is (1)

Don't forget "I only make $13/hour as a paramedic, why do fast food workers deserve more than me" :downs:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Don't forget "I only make $13/hour as a paramedic, why do fast food workers deserve more than me" :downs:

The emoji we really need is :crabbucket:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I love this.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Hey Mr. Suicidal guy: Grab a gun and walk up to warren buffet and shoot him in the head. Maybe it's illegal and you'll go to jail, but you're suicidal so you can just off yourself instead of getting arrested.

I don't know about everyone else but I'll personally be grateful for your sacrifice. Think of how much better the world could be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

guillotine all rich, viva la revolution, etc.

now that my bona fides are out of the way, i say we start with private prison ceos, ALL waltons, and every oil exec before we get to the people who at least pretend to care

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/eugen_levine/status/834867144525488128

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DreadLlama posted:

Hey Mr. Suicidal guy: Grab a gun and walk up to warren buffet and shoot him in the head. Maybe it's illegal and you'll go to jail, but you're suicidal so you can just off yourself instead of getting arrested.

I don't know about everyone else but I'll personally be grateful for your sacrifice. Think of how much better the world could be.

Who the heck are you talking to?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
He's talking about that suicidal guy from like 50 pages ago for some reason

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Actually, I'm getting professional help since a few of my friends here asked me to, including a couple mods. Therapy twice a week before work, although I refuse to take medication as the side effects include suicidal tendencies, which is counter-intuitive to say the least.

Also I can't take them and drink, and drinking is my favorite sport.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
That's a really good thing to hear in this abysmal thread

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Glad you're feeling better. Murder your betters.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Screaming Idiot posted:

Actually, I'm getting professional help

Nice!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The funny thing is one of the mods who messaged me threatened to ban me. Like... were they afraid of ghost-postin'?

The Ghost of Screaming Idiot posted:

im permadead poster Screaming Idiot i first started reading SA when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “politics” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “realpolitik” and “our culture is rotting and we are maggots writhing within its desiccated husk” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on ectoplasmic stabilizers to maintain my semicorporeal form. i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of SA humor was all about; i think it’s D&D leaking in to GBS, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who worry too much about politics to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a prematurely ending your living existence and becoming a restless spirit for all eternity. rest in peace.

Still, I'm gonna try to keep it together. And even if I was gonna kill myself, I wouldn't take anyone with me -- as much as I love the idea of the guillotine, I don't have it in me to take a human life.

Except mine, if I don't try to keep it together.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Ok but if I ever get pulled for jury duty and the charge is "this guy murdered jeffe bezos or whoever" you're gonna walk.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Screaming Idiot posted:

Actually, I'm getting professional help since a few of my friends here asked me to, including a couple mods. Therapy twice a week before work, although I refuse to take medication as the side effects include suicidal tendencies, which is counter-intuitive to say the least.

Glad to hear it dude. Your a funny guy and I for one like reading your posts and having you around.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
how has nobody killed bezos yet btw

like its apparently super easy in america to shoot up a school, cant one of you channel it into bob iger or somethin

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

how has nobody killed bezos yet btw

like its apparently super easy in america to shoot up a school, cant one of you channel it into bob iger or somethin

once that cat's out of the bag, we'll finally have sane gun laws.

so all the whackos are playin it "cool"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGom8Y5wAow

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Scientists Warn the UN of Capitalism's Imminent Demise

quote:

Capitalism as we know it is over. So suggests a new report commissioned by a group of scientists appointed by the UN Secretary-General. The main reason? We’re transitioning rapidly to a radically different global economy, due to our increasingly unsustainable exploitation of the planet’s environmental resources.

Climate change and species extinctions are accelerating even as societies are experiencing rising inequality, unemployment, slow economic growth, rising debt levels, and impotent governments. Contrary to the way policymakers usually think about these problems, the new report says that these are not really separate crises at all.

Rather, these crises are part of the same fundamental transition to a new era characterized by inefficient fossil fuel production and the escalating costs of climate change. Conventional capitalist economic thinking can no longer explain, predict, or solve the workings of the global economy in this new age, the paper says.

:rip:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Congrats on gettin' treatment buddy :glomp:

I assume you got prescribed some kind of SSRI, I highly recommend at least giving them a shot. When you first get started you'll have a week or so of feeling crappy and kinda bleh but you get over it and loving hell they make so much difference, holy poo poo. The "suicidal tendencies" thing is kinda bullshit btw, they put it on there because a few people (entirely teens iirc) who already had them, surprise, still had them after taking the drugs, and they wanted to have their legal bases covered. Like it's not magic happy pills that make you feel nothing but happy all the time, you can still *get* sad, but they provide enough mental fortitude to like, break yourself out of the loving mental death spiral of getting sadder and sadder or fixating more and more on depressive thoughts.

Also the "can't drink" thing isn't entirely accurate, I'm on them and can still drink smaller amounts sometimes, but it seems to multiply the booze so I get drunker faster. It's probably also killing my liver and lowering the "deadly level" threshold so ymmv, prolly want to avoid drinking at least until you're established on them I guess.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Aug 28, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hate

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Congrats on gettin' treatment buddy :glomp:

I assume you got prescribed some kind of SSRI, I highly recommend at least giving them a shot. When you first get started you'll have a week or so of feeling crappy and kinda bleh but you get over it and loving hell they make so much difference, holy poo poo. The "suicidal tendencies" thing is kinda bullshit btw, they put it on there because a few people (entirely teens iirc) who already had them, surprise, still had them after taking the drugs, and they wanted to have their legal bases covered. Like it's not magic happy pills that make you feel nothing but happy all the time, you can still *get* sad, but they provide enough mental fortitude to like, break yourself out of the loving mental death spiral of getting sadder and sadder or fixating more and more on depressive thoughts.

Also the "can't drink" thing isn't entirely accurate, I'm on them and can still drink smaller amounts sometimes, but it seems to multiply the booze so I get drunker faster. It's probably also killing my liver and lowering the "deadly level" threshold so ymmv, prolly want to avoid drinking at least until you're established on them I guess.

Thanks. I can't remember what he was trying to prescribe me, but I do remember that it would have cost entirely too much as it wasn't on the list of price-controlled prescriptions. I could have afforded it, but it'd have left me nearly broke so if something happened I'd be hosed, so I'm just gonna deal with my broken brain as best I can.

CAPITALISM~♪♪♪

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The shot in the garage with the car covers gets me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They even took tesla's battery sales model.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thanks. I can't remember what he was trying to prescribe me, but I do remember that it would have cost entirely too much as it wasn't on the list of price-controlled prescriptions. I could have afforded it, but it'd have left me nearly broke so if something happened I'd be hosed, so I'm just gonna deal with my broken brain as best I can.

CAPITALISM~♪♪♪

Ah, sucks. There's definitely lots of SSRI's to choose from though and a bunch that are cheap as gently caress generics these days, so maybe explain the situation to your doc and ask about a different one or read up on what's available on your price-controlled prescriptions list or somethin'. Good luck friend :shobon:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Welcome to the club UN, Jesus only called this poo poo roundabout two thousand years ago

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Away all Goats posted:

Ah! The famed "Honduran worker wage"!

*note: this post is to show the evils of corporations and anyone in a hiring capacity that is willing to undercut fair labor pay. Not because a class of people are in fear of their lives, and would honestly come as refugees if the application of the law was not horribly racist and encourages people undercutting fair wages out of desperation.

Oscar Wild has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Aug 28, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

Ah, sucks. There's definitely lots of SSRI's to choose from though and a bunch that are cheap as gently caress generics these days, so maybe explain the situation to your doc and ask about a different one or read up on what's available on your price-controlled prescriptions list or somethin'. Good luck friend :shobon:

Do depression drugs (ie the ones that probably could use it the most, or maybe like insulin) not have those ‘you’ll never pay more than $25/mo after insurance’ deals from the drug manufacturer? I’ve been on several GI drugs that had those. My doctor gave the cards to me, but they were also available online from the drug maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hockey jockey posted:

And yet he is still a thousand times more admirable than Alan Sugar...

It's always worth pointing out that if it weren't for Nokia and Pace being hosed over by the aftermath of the dotcom crash Sugar would be completely penniless. He drove Amstrad into the ground chasing useless bullshit like the Em@iler (all you need to know about it is told by that @ in the middle of the name) and Sky had to step in and buy him out because they faced the prospect of losing all three of their STB manufacturers just at the time they were trying to ramp up HD.

Of course the only reason Amstrad even made it as far as the dotcom crash is the bullshit he pulled on the Premiership rights deals. Sky managed to put in a bid for the first Premiership TV deal that just beat ITV, something that had nothing at all to do with Sugar being both the main seller of STBs to Sky and also the chairman of Spurs and hence having knowledge of all three bids.

What I'm saying is that Alan Sugar hasn't managed to make a business decision that was both profitable and not complete luck or fraudulent since he started making cheap HiFis in the 80s - that he's still held up as some titan of industry is probably a bit more on-the-nose than people realise.