Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LifeLynx posted:

When Duel Decks, the first supplemental products in deck form, started to be a thing, newbies would come in with them for FNM Standard events. It didn't feel good explaining that they couldn't play. I think new players these days are a little more savvy when they're signing up for even FNM-level events, but Wizards still needs to be careful about how players determine what's in Standard.

maybe they could print some kind of reminder (text if there's not enough space for a symbol) of which standard set the supplemental product is concurrent with (for the purposes of standard legality)

if I showed up at fnm this week, i'd have no idea what supplemental cards are legal if someone had them in their deck, and I read this thread near daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

True-Name, Flusterstorm, Containment Priest, Nexus of Fate.

They could print up more of the one pack that has a playable and sell just that one.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Happy :hitler: page, everyone. Post your favorite mono-white decks!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Goddammit Yawgmoth.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Isamaru, Hound of Konda EDH
36 land
63 of your favorite white or colorless cards

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Yawgmoth posted:

4 holy day
4 ethereal haze
4 angelsong
4 dawn charm
4 pollen lullaby
4 safe passage
3 encircling fissure
4 howling mine
4 prism ring
1 elixir of immortality
24 plains with WHITE boarders only

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 28, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

When Duel Decks, the first supplemental products in deck form, started to be a thing, newbies would come in with them for FNM Standard events. It didn't feel good explaining that they couldn't play. I think new players these days are a little more savvy when they're signing up for even FNM-level events, but Wizards still needs to be careful about how players determine what's in Standard.

uh, they're new players. they don't know poo poo.

the best was when Stoneforge Mystic got banned you could still play the War of Attrition theme deck unchanged because it had two SFM in it. perfect for Friday Night Magic!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yawgmoth posted:

Koth of the Hanmer.dek

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

what if, instead, I posted the card that has gatherer ID 1488

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So I'm traveling and hit up a store for FNM that I'd been to in the past. The players were okay last year, but none of them were present. They'd been replaced with the most neckbearded, mouth breathing idiots I've ever seen sign up for a paid event.

During the event, I noticed my opponent had a lot of premium red and black removal. Which is weird because I was sitting to her right and was on black/white. She straight up says "oh yeah I drafted most of this last week."

Call for a judge (store employee), explain what happened, and they say (paraphrased) "oh you can't do that. But we can't fix it now, so finish the game."

How do you even address that level of idiocy in person?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

So I'm traveling and hit up a store for FNM that I'd been to in the past. The players were okay last year, but none of them were present. They'd been replaced with the most neckbearded, mouth breathing idiots I've ever seen sign up for a paid event.

During the event, I noticed my opponent had a lot of premium red and black removal. Which is weird because I was sitting to her right and was on black/white. She straight up says "oh yeah I drafted most of this last week."

Call for a judge (store employee), explain what happened, and they say (paraphrased) "oh you can't do that. But we can't fix it now, so finish the game."

I would start by telling the employee I want my money back or for them to give her a game loss, because that is some serious bullshit. If you pay money for an event, there should be some protection against blatant cheating.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

PJOmega posted:

I guess you laugh and head back to the hotel? I have to admit I don't really have the patience to respond in any other way nowadays.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShadeofBlue posted:

I guess you laugh and head back to the hotel? I have to admit I don't really have the patience to respond in any other way nowadays.

Nah I'm with you on that. I tried to get my money back, she said she wouldn't do that, and instead of fighting it further I gathered my stuff and left. Emailed wizards the name of the store and shrugged it off. No use crying over $15 to play wizard poker.

Thing is, the way my opponent was acting I could honestly believe she didn't mean to cheat but was truly that oblivious/stupid. But after two murders and two lightning strikes you start being a bit curious and irate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

I would start by telling the employee I want my money back or for them to give her a game loss, because that is some serious bullshit. If you pay money for an event, there should be some protection against blatant cheating.

Honestly, the whole draft is fubared at that point if players are bringing in outside cards. The draft portion gets screwed up, all of her previous games are null and void. It's too much of a cascading fuckup to fix with a game loss.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PJOmega posted:

I mean, it's time to get your money back because if they're gonna let their opponent freeroll you with cards from outside their draft pool there's no real point in actually trying to play. I'd also avoid that store in the future if you travel to the area again, I guess. At this point the dude should be an auto-DQ, and while it's real unfortunate to anyone before you that didn't know this, that's no excuse for letting it continue NOW when you know.

But it sounds like that's not the case so just leave, I guess. I mean, all you can really do is give a report and avoid it in the future. That's lovely but eh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

PJOmega posted:

play the next round with your constructed deck

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I'm not in love with the idea of multiplayer as a way to introduce new players to the game. Newbies should be learning how to play on-curve beaters, not politics and battlecruisers.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Elyv posted:

what if, instead, I posted the card that has gatherer ID 1488

Let's not start beating that horse again.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Gynovore posted:

I'm not in love with the idea of multiplayer as a way to introduce new players to the game. Newbies should be learning how to play on-curve beaters, not politics and battlecruisers.

imagine having 2-5 players and $40 MSRP and buying this instead of any good board game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lone Goat posted:

imagine having 2-5 players and $40 MSRP and buying this instead of any good board game.

i wish board games were $40, i want to try gloomhaven and its msrp is $519,000 dollars, and to me thats not affordable. $4500 fine, but $519,000 is a joke.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Remember the good old days of titans? Remember how they also did straightforward things that newbies could understand but were also useful? :allears:

Did you just completely forget how people whined endlessly about them being too good for their entire standard showing

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Guilds Buy a Box promo

Convoke, Indestructible

Looks like Ral Zarek on the middle booster.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 28, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

Guilds Buy a Box promo

Convoke, Indestructible

:11tea:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

This card is going to get expensive. In most EDH games I've seen, it's a Veteran Explorer for less work. Lots of people are going to be interested in, "GG, 4/4 Trample, everyone who isn't playing a greedy 4 or 5 color decks gets 2 lands."

Tainen posted:

Guilds Buy a Box promo

Convoke, Indestructible

Looks like Ral Zarek on the middle booster.

Nice 16/16.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

...That's like a 4 drop in a serious tokens deck.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like the set symbol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gynovore posted:

I don't know if wizards factored it in, but I'd bet if you have a regular gaming group at least some of the members already know how to play magic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

Did you just completely forget how people whined endlessly about them being too good for their entire standard showing

Like I said, useful. Somehow people act like casual cards being cool and good is a detriment to casual players.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In english

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1034411676429426689?s=19

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

There's going to be an "Against the odds" deck with this + Thud/Fling right?... (Ghalta is still probably better)

edit: Anyways, it's going to be nice in Mimeoplasm EDH decks, simply due to being a 16/16, so that's cool.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 28, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is the buy-a-box actually in packs this time, or are we looking at another way-too-expensive-if-it's-actually-playable card?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

or are we looking at another way-too-expensive-if-it's-actually-playable card?

Fun fact, here in Europe, you can get Italian versions for 6eur (7$) on cardmarket.
English language ones are twice that, but still not very expensive.

No idea what's up with the US prices on it. ~30$ seems insane.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Jabor posted:

Is the buy-a-box actually in packs this time, or are we looking at another way-too-expensive-if-it's-actually-playable card?

Id 273/259 so it isn’t in packs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

i feel the same way about edh in general

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is it possible to get buy a box promo online? I suspect my.lgs will only have it in french and I don't want to bother with that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Looks like an over correction after Nexus.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Owlbear Camus posted:

...That's like a 4 drop in a serious tokens deck.

Good thing we have chainwhirler to stop that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Looks like an over correction after Nexus.

Given their lead times that was probably just whatever was in the pipeline.

I think someone just wanted to finally invalidate Autochthon Wurm

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I would put it definitely above Super Hurloon Bros and well below Nexus as a Standard playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-twenty-five-year-journey-of-magic-the-gathering