Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Extremely uneventful episode, but I know there's usually a couple of these each season in the middle. Still, it's a little annoying when three different stories crammed into 44 minutes have both almost no advancement or payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

oh jay posted:

That would be a complete rehash of the Davis and Maine plot, but I can't think of any other way this can end.

E: any plot with Jimmy working for someone else is going to feel like a rehash. Just skip to Saul already.

Maybe he'll sell it out as a safe meeting place for the criminal element, or use the sign implying it was a safe meeting place as a way to meet criminals other than through the vet

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't think it'll turn into a meeting place, but I do think it'll lead to lots of criminals coming for burner phones, maybe with some referrals his way from the vet. It's also like the perfect wording to attract criminals but still be played off innocently and fly under the radar.

I think unlike Davis and Main we're going to see Jimmy's new boss really like his idea and the increase of foot traffic in the store that comes with it. It's lower stakes than a law firm and a much smaller impact from his actions, just watch the paint off and there you go. It's also a nice reminder of how inventive Jimmy can be and how if he just was willing to live a moral life he would have absolutely been successful, it just would have taken a bit longer.

I can totally see the cell store scenes being a lot of fun going forward as Jimmy makes criminal contacts and runs it as his own little feifdom, which corporate is fine with since it was doing awful business before he arrived.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So I like the Mike bits. But I really don't think we needed a quarter of the episode to be about Mike calling some random guy a liar in the therapy group. Kind of made it feel like nothing really happened in the episode, which it didn't cause they wasted all the time on Mike calling out some dude in therapy.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The twins are cartoon characters. Nacho is good enough to redeem his own plotline, but man.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ditocoaf posted:

The twins are cartoon characters. Nacho is good enough to redeem his own plotline, but man.

Agree but it fits with their Breaking Bad portrayal. They’re like loving Terminators in that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the twins have always been cartoons so it doesn't bother me that much.

If anything I'm kind of annoyed that they got humanized a little bit in the last episode with their concealed concern for Nacho before going on to be cartoons still this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so smart, I missed last week's episode so this week I got to watch TWO episodes of Better Call Saul. :hellyeah:

Oh God now I have to wait a week for another episode :smith:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Need to get really smart J-ru and not watch the show at all until it has completed its entire run. It's the only sensible thing to do.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The only reason to watch it 'live' is if you enjoy the threads, otherwise yeah it's unironically probably the best idea to just wait until it's all on netflix and you can just binge it.

It's a great show and I love it to death but it's paced like a 12-hour-long-movie, not as 12 1-hour installments a week apart.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
1) Well holy poo poo Mike has bigger and brassier balls than we already thought, eh?

2) When Jimmy started bouncing the ball it occurred to me that maybe the store is a front? Most businesses wouldn't keep a constantly-slow store open, staffed, and stocked. Let alone a chain place; they'd shut it down and re-direct the foot traffic. So maybe as time goes on Jimmy starts poking around and noticing non-existent revenues for his location are showing up on the books? And things get rolling from there, he casually offers "legal" advice on money laundering, oh hey my law licence is back next year, need some legal work done from a crook you can trust because you already hired him?

Which leads to:

3) The "universe" may have given Jimmy and us a sign, because that lime-green vest is 100% something that Saul would wear. (Or Jimbo would have donned at Davis & Main.) Also: we NEVER saw any of his new bosses, which is a first for both shows. Hmmm - this is going to go places.

I like the prediction that this is where he develops his criminal contacts, though. You could totally see a low-level dealer come inside, then lean in and inquire about a secure option, burner phones, etc. And then his supplier/boss needs a phone, but those big-box stores aren't quite selling what we need, too much red tape and contracts...

oh jay posted:

I agree. The end scene didn't even feel like a cliffhanger, rather just the episode ending in a whimper. Some cool vignettes in that hour of television, but really disconnected and with not really a single payoff.

This isn't meant to be a hot take but anything is better than the rear end-dragging snoozefest that was "Fly."

Yeah, I get it - it was a study in character contrast, more like a stage play than an episode of BB, going for something different, etc. but hot drat was that episode the most boring installment in an exciting, constantly plot-twisting show. Slow burn didn't stop this one from having moments that kept us wondering where the scene was going.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nice colour callback where, as soon as Nacho is done with the Salamanca’s and reporting back to Gus we see tonnes of billowing yellow sheets.

The whole characters having colour schemes isn’t just a style thing, it really works in this case to establish whose side Nacho is on at a given scene.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 28, 2018

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They hinted really, really hard last week that Nacho was going to die from an infection from a ruptured bowel caused by that shot to the gut. The way he was doubled over in pain by the end of the episode, is that happening right now?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ some people have no patience. BB and BCS are slow burners. Get used to it or don't bother. I love every minute.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Escalus posted:

2) When Jimmy started bouncing the ball it occurred to me that maybe the store is a front
Oh my godddddddddddddd

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Herv posted:

Look on the bright side, Mike has 7 more sites to inspect, and was thinking about making a ship in a bottle while on a stake out.

oh christ I was bluffing vince.
6 more sites I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Selachian posted:

I was thinking we were seeing the origins of Saul's drawerful of cell phones.

Bit disappointing that we didn't really get any advancement on the Mesa Verde plot, or what Kim went to the courthouse for last episode.

It's very helpful to pay attention to the "Last time on Better Call Saul" intro bits. They tell you what's going to be relevant for this episode.

This week there was a cut of "I need to stop by the courthouse".

Then the episode featured elaboration on that plotline.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

2) When Jimmy started bouncing the ball it occurred to me that maybe the store is a front? Most businesses wouldn't keep a constantly-slow store open, staffed, and stocked. Let alone a chain place; they'd shut it down and re-direct the foot traffic. So maybe as time goes on Jimmy starts poking around and noticing non-existent revenues for his location are showing up on the books? And things get rolling from there, he casually offers "legal" advice on money laundering, oh hey my law licence is back next year, need some legal work done from a crook you can trust because you already hired him?

You don't staff a money laundering front with some clueless rando

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't staff a money laundering front with some clueless rando

Ummm, excuse me... Walt Jr worked at A1 Car Wash :colbert:

Have an A1 day!

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Halo14 posted:

Christ some people have no patience. BB and BCS are slow burners. Get used to it or don't bother. I love every minute.

Bb is not a slow burner, often episodes will have an arc in of itself with a conclusion, and also contribute to the overarching plot as well.

Saul, sometimes just kind of messes around. Like that one scene where you had an extremely long pan on some drug trucks. It's why I like Saul better than bb it's not afraid of having low stakes, and just day in the life moments.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What the gently caress? Walt "Flynn" Jr. knew exactly what he wanted out of life and that was breakfast. :colbert:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love this show, but yeah this episode was just a little too slow. They're really gonna hav I e to step on the gas. I mean we're nearly half way through S4 and Saul isn't even in sight. I don't want them to have to mad dash to the end if they don't get picked up.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think the problem with this episode is that the big action sequence that was so complicated to film that AMC has a featurette about the making of it was actually incredibly boring because the cousins are the worst characters.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Christ was it really that complicated? Most of it was Nacho watching from a car. It's no True Detective

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol we just had 3 straight barn burner episodes to start the season, calm down ya dinguses

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was that an N-Gage in the cell phone drawer in the intro?:lol:

I thought so too but I think the one in the drawer has more buttons, although the same goofy layout

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So did Nacho get out of the car to help to keep his cover that he was attacked and it wasn’t all staged by Gus?

Otherwise I don’t know why he would put his life in jeopardy like that, but i assume it was to keep to the idea that this other group hit him and tried to kill him but failed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

The Jimmy painting scene would've been a better episode ending.

It really would have. It would have been a great bookend to the teaser, and it would have emphasized the scene to make it clearer that Jimmy is intentionally advertising to criminals and not just doing what he did with Davis & Mane and that this is an actual concrete step towards becoming a guy who knows guys who knows guys.
I get that the end scene is a pretty big deal for Mike, but as far as I'm concerned, Mike became the Mike we see in Breaking Bad when he shook Gus's hand in Season 3.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Victor tailed him after that and saw him ditch the fake pills
From a distance where I would think he could only say he threw something into a river. Thinking that actually Gus had people trawl to river until they found it seems about as incredulous as Gus was able to work out the whole plot from Nacho stopping on a bridge and throwing something in the river. Let alone implicating Mike as having knowledge about it.

But then we also never found out how Gus knew Mike was going to go all sniper, I guess I just have to accept that Gus has super powers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jimmy's forward progress in this episode being "bounces a ball against the window" put me in mind of that one Twin Peaks S3 episode where the only glimps of Dougie we got was his son throwing a baseball and hitting him in the head like a golden retriever

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sub Rosa posted:

But then we also never found out how Gus knew Mike was going to go all sniper, I guess I just have to accept that Gus has super powers.

Because Gus had his guys tailing Nacho and the other Salamanca dudes already, just in case anything useful to him became apparent.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

So did Nacho get out of the car to help to keep his cover that he was attacked and it wasn’t all staged by Gus?

Otherwise I don’t know why he would put his life in jeopardy like that, but i assume it was to keep to the idea that this other group hit him and tried to kill him but failed.

We don’t know exactly what his orders were from gus. It’s probable that the Salamanca strike was “supposed” to be successful so they could hand over their territory to Gus, so when they went in like idiot cowboys and he saw reinforcements arriving he had to step in and make it so.

Nachos caught between two sides but the twins dying because of his failure pisses off both.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 28, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I read that scene as him feeling guilty for lying to them and needing to go "help" as a result.

I assumed Gus wanted either the territory or for the cousins to get killed so there wasn't really a downside either way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

massive spider posted:

We don’t know exactly what his orders were from gus. It’s probable that the Salamanca strike was “supposed” to be successful so they could hand over their territory to Gus, so when they went in like idiot cowboys and he saw reinforcements arriving he had to step in and make it so.

Nachos caught between two sides but the twins dying because of his failure pisses off both.

unless he had the keys to that car, it seems like there's a pretty reasonable chance he gets killed too if the twins were to lose

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I watched an interview with Giancarlo Esposito, who mentioned that Gus in BCS, while still just as ruthless and relatively composed, still has quite a bit to learn about the game. Beneath his signature composure, he still has some hot-blooded passion in him yet, and is more prone to making mistakes. It's a small detail, but it's really evident throughout the whole series. You can see it very clearly in the last scene. Mike was able to see right through Gus and called out his bluff. If we were talking about the Gus in Breaking Bad, that would have been a fatal mistake, because he would know by then to never show his cards until the time was right.

When Gus reacts to Mike, he doesn't tense up or have to restrain himself, like he's getting angry or humiliated. He raises his chin and his features relax, almost like he gains a sort of respect for Mike. He caught himself going too far. Before, Gus might have considered himself on equal footing, or even on higher ground to Mike, but after that moment he realizes that he isn't as invincible as he thought he was.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Douk Douk posted:

I watched an interview with Giancarlo Esposito, who mentioned that Gus in BCS, while still just as ruthless and relatively composed, still has quite a bit to learn about the game. Beneath his signature composure, he still has some hot-blooded passion in him yet, and is more prone to making mistakes. It's a small detail, but it's really evident throughout the whole series. You can see it very clearly in the last scene. Mike was able to see right through Gus and called out his bluff. If we were talking about the Gus in Breaking Bad, that would have been a fatal mistake, because he would know by then to never show his cards until the time was right.

When Gus reacts to Mike, he doesn't tense up or have to restrain himself, like he's getting angry or humiliated. He raises his chin and his features relax, almost like he gains a sort of respect for Mike. He caught himself going too far. Before, Gus might have considered himself on equal footing, or even on higher ground to Mike, but after that moment he realizes that he isn't as invincible as he thought he was.

You got a link? I enjoy seeing/reading cast interpretations and Gus is one of my favorite tv characters ever.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I like the flash forward of this episode. With Mike remembering his son in therapy and he says "well you wanted me to say something" and you think oh Mike revealed something about himself.

But in reality he took someone else down. It's a good comment on how Mike deals with his emotions.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

boop the snoot posted:

You got a link? I enjoy seeing/reading cast interpretations and Gus is one of my favorite tv characters ever.

Yup, found it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtZGNqmcMM

I think that of all the extremely talented and perfectly cast actors in BCS, Giancarlo probably has the tightest grasp on what makes his character tick, next to Mando and Nacho.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I thought the scene in the group therapy session was really good since it shows really well the way that Mike deals with that problem, or rather doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So do you think that guy is actually lying? Pity parties can be a "thing" but a therapist is there. Someone wanting to visit multiple places isn't exactly uncommon. Cuba and Australia? Sure! I'd love to go.