Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sion posted:

What the gently caress, why?

That's all the info I have, but probably because "gently caress you, that's why! maga maga maga"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ESTA Visa Waiver is for both work and pleasure travel. I believe having it canceled doesn't mean you can never enter the country, it means you can no longer enter without a visa. Supposedly the main reason you'd have it canceled would be if you lied on the ESTA forms, or otherwise should not have been issued a visa - like you're on the no-travel list for example. You would also be denied entry if your passport expired, and could be denied if you are coming on too many back-to-back visits (the officer thinks you're trying to actually live in the US), or you have a contagious disease, or were convicted of "a crime of moral turpitude" whatever that means.

I'm fully on board with DHS being awful and highly mistake-prone, plus the current admin's obsession with keeping out the 'undesirables' etc., but I'd be surprised if it came down to work vs. non-work travel.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's hard to think of anything else that would so neatly take out all three of them, though.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Loxbourne posted:

It's hard to think of anything else that would so neatly take out all three of them, though.

dwarf74 posted:

That's all the info I have, but probably because "gently caress you, that's why! maga maga maga"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
And my boss was surprised when I turned down a business trip to the US. It's just not safe to go there any more.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Were they carrying copies of Sigmata?!?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Leperflesh posted:

I'm fully on board with DHS being awful and highly mistake-prone, plus the current admin's obsession with keeping out the 'undesirables' etc., but I'd be surprised if it came down to work vs. non-work travel.

Like I say, that's what did for games workshop's staff a few years ago - they ticked leisure, but one of them told the DHS agent that he was there to work at a Convention. They pulled the whole booth team and sent them back for lying on the form.

I have my "I have ticked business because I'm a freelance writer heading to a convention to socialize and network with colleagues, I am not being paid for the trip and have no goods to stay in your country with me" explanation down pat after nine GenCons. Like, what would they think if my record shows I go to Indianapolis the same week every year and say I'm there for leisure? That I'm unaccountably fond of the Colts?

But I dunno if it's what happened this time. Just speculating.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Subjunctive posted:

Were they carrying copies of Sigmata?!?

That'd be a positive though?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Pre-9/11, I went with several other journos to the E3 vidjagames show in LA. All but one of us had our "we're attending a trade show" answers practiced and ready because gently caress applying for a press visa, and got in with no trouble, but the last one of us instead said "I'm a journalist attending a trade show." He was hauled off for interrogation for an hour before being let through. Nowadays, he'd probably be put on the first plane back.

Mind you, one of my friends went through US customs with a lump of cannabis resin he'd forgotten about in a pocket and had no problems. Different times...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
LOL "we were bullied by the American government, which is now led and manned by small-minded xenophobes. Please do not piss them off in any way or they might really gently caress us forever." Shameful.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wanna know what "some details that live in a gray area" are. I'm glad to know what happened but they maddeningly left out the why. I mean, the nature of our draconian immigration system is certainly the underlying cause but I'm curious as the specifics that they seem to have gone out of the way to leave out.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

They're not going to say it was a bullshit swipe or a real issue while they apply for another visa from the same government.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wanna know what "some details that live in a gray area" are. I'm glad to know what happened but they maddeningly left out the why. I mean, the nature of our draconian immigration system is certainly the underlying cause but I'm curious as the specifics that they seem to have gone out of the way to leave out.

Because this is 2018, I tried to think of the dumbest possible reason, and decided that Donald Trump plays some OSR heartbreaker (or hell, maybe FATAL) and hates D&D.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Donald Trump plays Pathfinder

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Folks, when Wizards of the Coast sends its adventurers, they're not sending their best. They're sending Fighters that have a lot of problems, and ... And some, I assume, are Clerics

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Trump would never have gotten this far if we just listened to the Exploding Kittens guy...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/depingo/status/1034125698078846976

at least she can laugh about it now? :shobon:

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Part of what makes it such a shithole now, according to a friend of mine got the gently caress out of CPB a number of years back, is that even if the individual agent isn't a maga chud, they're given next to no discretion in how to deal with things anymore. Especially if their supervisor is one of the jackasses who thinks they're defending the borders of holy terra from the hated xenos. Used to be, the individual agent had a lot more discretion to adjust these things during the interview (not that all of them would, plenty being jackasses, but still). Especially under the current administration though, not so much.

Last year my firm did a project on cross border trade for the local government, that had some CPB guys advising. I did take a certain degree of petty satisfaction in describing my experiences entering the Soviet Union in 1990 versus re-entering the US in 2016. They were...less than pleased....about which experience was more efficient and had less stupid and pointless questioning.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

I'm always very skeptical of this sort of statement. It's very RPGPundit-y: "They don't even play the games they're trying corrupt with their Cultural Marxism, obviously, because they talk about all this horseshit I don't like and am unfamiliar with and therefore cannot have any practical experience with TRUE RPGS." I mean, I remember there being at least a few frequent posters who said they read everything but didn't play for one reason or another, but I don't remember them being a big proportion of the homebrewers.
Yeah, there's definitely a correlation between White Wolf games of a particular vintage and people who buy RPG books solely for reading them, but I don't remember any of those people talking up homebrews they'd done - so far as I can tell they literally just wanted to look at the gorgeous and read the fiction and setting fluff, with the rules bits being there at most to contextualise.

It's not altogether unsurprising that such a fanbase would have cropped up, given that White Wolf were very big on incorporating lots of fiction into their rulebooks once upon a time, and equally unsurprising that you don't hear that so much now that Onyx Path seem to have dialled back on some of those excesses. (I remember the original Demon: the Fallen core book as incorporating an incredible amount of fiction and setting details delivered as fiction-like narratives before you got to any game stuff.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, most of the WW fans I knew in the 90s just wrote terrible fanfic about their characters instead of homebrewing.

The worst ones had every encounter statted out.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Zurui posted:

Yeah, most of the WW fans I knew in the 90s just wrote terrible fanfic about their characters instead of homebrewing.

feeling personally attacked right here :(

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I deffo read more Exalted than I actually played, but that's because playing Exalted is a pain in the rear end. Nowadays I don't run a game unless its rules can be shortened to a couple of pages, or those rules are mostly in Japanese. :anime:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

With EXALTED and CofD I found that the homebrew is good but the headcanons are abominable garbad.

I don't want to hear what someone who hasn't figured out a first adventure or made pregens for a group thinks is a great take on setting details that are just supposed to be opaque facts. Especially when Tier Talk comes out and everyone argues from their headcanons rather than the actual game.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 2, 2018

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Are lost packages common with DriveThruRPG? I'm asking because apparently the product I ordered got lost not once, but twice.

Six months ago I ordered Chronicles of Darkness main book. This was after I successfully ordered several other physical products, so didn't expect any problems.Three months later I still hadn't gotten the book. I contacted their customer service, told them the book hasn't been delivered. They apologized, told me they're going to send the book again, apparently they did (according to the order status).

Guess what, neither the second nor the first package has arrived. I just opened another ticket, but at this point I'm worried I'm going to do this again in December.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gantolandon posted:

Are lost packages common with DriveThruRPG? I'm asking because apparently the product I ordered got lost not once, but twice.

Six months ago I ordered Chronicles of Darkness main book. This was after I successfully ordered several other physical products, so didn't expect any problems.Three months later I still hadn't gotten the book. I contacted their customer service, told them the book hasn't been delivered. They apologized, told me they're going to send the book again, apparently they did (according to the order status).

Guess what, neither the second nor the first package has arrived. I just opened another ticket, but at this point I'm worried I'm going to do this again in December.

I haven't heard of such problems being common, and I've personally never experienced such a problem after many PoD orders. Sorry your post office is the Bermuda Triangle of DTRPG books. :shrug:

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Gantolandon posted:

Are lost packages common with DriveThruRPG?

I’ve had to have three or four books resent. For context, I order a lot from DriveThru, including a bunch of Kickstarter POD fulfilment, a dozen or so DCC 3rd party books, some Altantis, etc. Also, being in Canada, DriveThru does the printing in Budapest and ships from there; I can’t imagine that increases the likelihood of a completed shipment.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

EdithUpwards posted:

Especially when Tier Talk

Are you one of the "the fighter can be as good as the wizard if you ROLEPLAY not ROLLPLAY" people? Because this does a lot to imply that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Roadie posted:

Are you one of the "the fighter can be as good as the wizard if you ROLEPLAY not ROLLPLAY" people? Because this does a lot to imply that.

I figured it was more a reference to how Exalted 2 in its heyday, and WoD/CoD always and forever, could instantly devolve into blatantly unreasonable fights over the primacy or inferiority of a given splat, e.g., "Dragon-Blooded are basically just god-bloods, so should they even really count for effects that say they target or don't target 'Exalted'" or Mage (Awakening or Ascension) being the One True game line.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

Mage (Awakening or Ascension) being the One True game line.

They're right

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Bedlamdan posted:

They're right

One of those is right, at any rate.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dumnbunny posted:

I’ve had to have three or four books resent. For context, I order a lot from DriveThru, including a bunch of Kickstarter POD fulfilment, a dozen or so DCC 3rd party books, some Altantis, etc. Also, being in Canada, DriveThru does the printing in Budapest and ships from there; I can’t imagine that increases the likelihood of a completed shipment.

I live in Poland - actually shipping from Budapest seems much less difficult than from Canada.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Dumnbunny posted:

Chiming in to second the problem of having Drivethru books just up and never arrive, and needing to be re-sent; I'm also in Canada and, notably, the problem's only cropped up in the last year. Before that I never had the problem at all (and the books still came from Budapest).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Based on the latest 7th Sea Kickstarter update, I wonder if "dramatic shakeups" and "rebuilding in a lot of ways" means that the failure of the dumb board game didn't give them the infusion of cash they needed to keep paying the staff. I have suspected something like this was going on, and this definitely indicates some major problem is going on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Considering they've basically been giving away every supplement to anyone who backed the KS, I'm not surprised. :(

Here's the relevant quote about "dramatic shakeups":

quote:

Hey folks, this is John.

We've recently had to go through some rather dramatic changes. We're rebuilding in a lot of ways. I'll be your primary contact for the immediate future. I'll detail more on that when I have more information.

As for more announcements, I'll be letting you know shortly. There have been a lot of changes and a lot of stuff not ready to talk about yet. I want to make sure to get everything right.

If you have any questions, be sure to let me know.

Take care,

John

He also announced free adventures will be going up on the 7th Sea site weekly.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I do wonder how much money they sunk into developing the board game and the desire to become a transmedia property. The stretch goal of doing a film thing to show off in Hollywood was a big red flag for me.

Still, everything I have gotten has been a steal for $60 or whatever. I would definitely have paid 15 bucks each for most of the supplements so far had they just put them out normally.

Oops.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It'll be a bigger issue if it impacts 7th Sea: Khitai, given none of that has come out yet beyond the initial demo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lemon-Lime posted:

Considering they've basically been giving away every supplement to anyone who backed the KS, I'm not surprised. :(

Here's the relevant quote about "dramatic shakeups":

He also announced free adventures will be going up on the 7th Sea site weekly.

Maybe he finally realized nobody's playing the game because he released.the mechanics half-baked and tried to make it up with setting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It'll be a bigger issue if it impacts 7th Sea: Khitai, given none of that has come out yet beyond the initial demo.

Is it behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

About a month or so delayed, maybe two, from it’s last estimate.