Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It’s so that a network can air more “new” episodes in a season while paying less money to make them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
its good to know tv execs were always dumb as dog poo poo. 3-4 a season, really?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Critic's last episode was a loving clip show

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

khwarezm posted:

Clipshows are such a bizarre idea in the 21st century. Like I hear about the rationales behind them when they were a thing, but why not just make a season an episode shorter instead?
Knowing the way accounting works, it probably meant they would just cut production by 2 episodes in the future to keep costs down. But also knowing scheduling and whatever, it's probably likely they couldn't just bank on showing one or two less Murder She Wrote's because the local affiliates would be pissing blood that they're doing a rerun while Quantum Leap has a brand new episode on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Community (yes yes I know) did an excellent mockery of clipshow episodes by airing one entirely comprised of clips from non-existent episodes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The episode where they have gary Coleman saying whatchu talkin bout a bunch of times. By this point it was well known that gary hated the catchphrase and how his life was in shambles it just seemed dickish of the simpsons to make him do it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Critic's last episode was a loving clip show

It was surprisingly good anyway because it had Milton berle and Kareem Abdul Jabar. Man that show was good. They loving eviscerate Woody allen. Repeatedly. It's so great.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Wemus posted:

The episode where they have gary Coleman saying whatchu talkin bout a bunch of times. By this point it was well known that gary hated the catchphrase and how his life was in shambles it just seemed dickish of the simpsons to make him do it.

*entire class is looking at bart but instead its the USA and bart is gary coleman*

*SAY THE LINE BART*

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's been covered but Simpsons celebrity worship has always been a drag

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Community (yes yes I know) did an excellent mockery of clipshow episodes by airing one entirely comprised of clips from non-existent episodes.

Now that’s what I call a sticky situation

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sockser posted:

Now that’s what I call a sticky situation

that episode of southpark was p funny

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Community (yes yes I know)

yep, it's a great show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

that episode of southpark was p funny

the earlier episodes of south park were so much better even now.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

the smore schnopps episode where everybody continues to fight the civil war to drink for free is great

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was surprisingly good anyway because it had Milton berle and Kareem Abdul Jabar. Man that show was good. They loving eviscerate Woody allen. Repeatedly. It's so great.

The Critic is one of the best television shows of all time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Code Jockey posted:

The Critic is one of the best television shows of all time

It may not even be in the top ten animated shows of all time. It's going to be tough to make any kind of definitive list though since you're never going to get people to agree on if a show like The Simpsons, with 8-10 seasons of gold and nearly twice that in garbage, qualifies as better than a show with two solid seasons that never had a drop off in quality, let alone literal decades of unwatchable dreck. And if you look at other benchmarks, like cultural impact or viewership, you end up with things like Family Guy near the top of the list and that's not good.

The Critic specifically though never really felt as good as the sum of its parts. The gags are good and the satire is stellar, especially when they're going after Woody Allen or lovingly mocking Orson Welles, but they rarely combine into a memorable or meaningful plot. It's a string of jokes that are loosely connected.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want The Critic to come back but only if they aged every character in real time. I wanna see pathetic late 50s Jay trying to cope with the YouTube critic generation.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm kind of surprised nobody tries to revive Duckman, especially given that it legitimately ended on a cliffhanger and it seems like the kind of show a streaming service would be desperate to sign.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Duke Phillips was infinitely better than Mr. Burns and Mr. Burns is one of the most well developed characters on the show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

It may not even be in the top ten animated shows of all time. It's going to be tough to make any kind of definitive list though since you're never going to get people to agree on if a show like The Simpsons, with 8-10 seasons of gold and nearly twice that in garbage, qualifies as better than a show with two solid seasons that never had a drop off in quality, let alone literal decades of unwatchable dreck. And if you look at other benchmarks, like cultural impact or viewership, you end up with things like Family Guy near the top of the list and that's not good.

The Critic specifically though never really felt as good as the sum of its parts. The gags are good and the satire is stellar, especially when they're going after Woody Allen or lovingly mocking Orson Welles, but they rarely combine into a memorable or meaningful plot. It's a string of jokes that are loosely connected.

Nah, it's an amazing show. There's not a bad episode in the bunch and it's the only contemporary show that rivals good simpsons.

e: eh, you were kinder to it than I thought given your first sentence. I'm very defensive of it. It's really good though.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 28, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Maybe B&B, I guess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm kind of surprised nobody tries to revive Duckman
Its very much a "moment in time" series that doesn't quite work outside if the 90s, I think. It's equal parts cynicism and cultural critique, but i'm not sure the dark humor would work anymore.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want The Critic to come back but only if they aged every character in real time. I wanna see pathetic late 50s Jay trying to cope with the YouTube critic generation.
The webisodes they did didn't quite hit the mark. Having to make Jay a divorcee/single loser again felt off after Alice was so fun.
Jay's parents being fabulously wealthy Rockefeller republicans would be.... something nowadays.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

Duke Phillips was infinitely better than Mr. Burns and Mr. Burns is one of the most well developed characters on the show

Unfortunately Charles Napier passed away some years ago.

Uncle Wemus posted:

That entire episode was incredibly mean to him for no real reason. See also the part where he's talking on an unplugged phone.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Milo and POTUS posted:

South Park is suffering from the opposite problem the Simpsons has, which is that it’s creators went way too far up their own asses and micromanaged the show to death, whereas Groening and co have nothing to do with the show anymore and it’s just a 22-minute Korean computer art exhibition

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I did a quick forums search for the name of the show and nothing showed up in this thread so far but the show 'Disenchanted' on Netflix by Groening is REALLY loving GOOD and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm probably like some people in this thread that haven't seen The Simpsons since probably the mid to late 90s, and given the clips in the OP from the recent seasons that's a good thing, but Disenchanted reminds me a good bit of Futurama level funny so far.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

South Park is suffering from the opposite problem the Simpsons has, which is that it’s creators went way too far up their own asses and micromanaged the show to death, whereas Groening and co have nothing to do with the show anymore and it’s just a 22-minute Korean computer art exhibition

I agree but South Park can still do a funny episode once in a while regardless of their lovely politics.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

iroguebot posted:

I did a quick forums search for the name of the show and nothing showed up in this thread so far but the show 'Disenchanted' on Netflix by Groening is REALLY loving GOOD and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm probably like some people in this thread that haven't seen The Simpsons since probably the mid to late 90s, and given the clips in the OP from the recent seasons that's a good thing, but Disenchanted reminds me a good bit of Futurama level funny so far.

It's ok. It's not great, not terrible. Eric Andre's little demon dude is a poor Bender replacement. He doesn't emote quite enough. It's very pretty for a Groening show though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The last two seasons of South Park were among the worst they've ever done, but before that were several that were some of the best they've ever done. They also really haven't been that political for a while. If they do a political topic, they use it to do something absurd these days rather than spend the whole episode making a strong stance (or lack thereof).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's ok. It's not great, not terrible. Eric Andre's little demon dude is a poor Bender replacement. He doesn't emote quite enough. It's very pretty for a Groening show though.

That was my biggest complaint when I was talking about it to a friend, Andre is a relatively big comedy name right now and he's way too underutilized

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iroguebot posted:

"Disenchantment" not "Disenchanted"

It's got promise, but I didn't find the first season very funny. It's OK.

It's pretty rare for a comedy to find itself immediately, and they've got another half-season coming. I'm sure Netflix will renew because it's got Groening and a bunch of other Simpsons greats on staff.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
The entirety of Season Six sucks compete and total rear end. But i I had to name any one train wreck, Bart vs Australia.

And In also have to agree with earlier comments that South Park had a surprisingly strong run (I'd say 12 years of gold, and a few on-and-off years after that), but it had to eventually derail. Versus The Simsons, they had the benefit of not having "insert this-season's new rejects from SNL writing crap a 65-year-old suck-down gleefully" revolving door.

But the tightly-controlled direction meant that once it cratered it was going tot be a fantastic burnout. That has been happening the last few years.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 28, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

"Disenchantment" not "Disenchanted"

It's got promise, but I didn't find the first season very funny. It's OK.

It's pretty rare for a comedy to find itself immediately, and they've got another half-season coming. I'm sure Netflix will renew because it's got Groening and a bunch of other Simpsons greats on staff.

There’s already a season 2 order so we’ll at least get that next year. I liked it a lot overall and think it’ll only improve.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What was the lowest point of South Park?

I vote PewDiePie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

defaultluser posted:

The entirety of Season Six sucks compete and total rear end.

:raise:

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s already a season 2 order so we’ll at least get that next year. I liked it a lot overall and think it’ll only improve.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next. Some of the jokes miss the mark, but it's filling the Futurama shaped void in my life.

Also, Matt Berry as the prince is perfect.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tom Gorman posted:

Gaze into the hypnotic power of my evil eye!

That entire episode was nothing but gold.

One thing that always bothered me in The Critic, was how they drew Sherman's pupils in season 2. I liked them better when he wasn't coked out of his mind.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

PostNouveau posted:

What was the lowest point of South Park?

I vote PewDiePie

Oprah and her minge.

Also Bart vs. Australia is some of the funniest 22 minutes ever written. If you want "absurd cartoon Simpsons" it's one of the very few episodes that ever got it completely right. Unfortunately I feel that its being generally well received opened up the doors to all of their wacky adventures abroad and none of them have been anywhere near as good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

THE BAR posted:

That entire episode was nothing but gold.

One thing that always bothered me in The Critic, was how they drew Sherman's pupils in season 2. I liked them better when he wasn't coked out of his mind.
Mobile?
Ehhh. Mostly.

Yeah, the network change (went from ABC to Fox, right?) caused a bunch of changes, including softening Jay's animation model, adding Alice to be a constant girlfriend and doing away with all of Jay's weird gross single guy stuff.
Guess i didn't notice any of that as a kid. I really loved the movie parodies, though.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
that people go about their lives when lisa has balls drives me up the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

90% of simpsons shitposting is Australians and kiwis who took bart vs Australia and ran with it