Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
BGG store no longer carries the small lightweight plastic boxes they used to. Anyone know where I could buy them elsewhere? I need them for the Antiquity bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I remember back in the old days of A&A where Larry Harris made a ww2 game where the winning strategy is to buy almost nothing but infantry because infantry is so much more economical than anything else.

I mean, that's not entirely ahistorical?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah I think people really are underselling how cutthroat Colonists can be. It's not Caylus-tier or anything, of course but you can get really nasty if you purposefully block spaces and force people to pay you fees.

I really like The Colonists because it reminds me a lot of the Anno videogame series, I am a sucker for complex resource lines and production chains. I will admit it's definitely the sort of game you plan an evening around, not something you decide to pull out on a regular game night. It's just too long and involved to spring on people on a whim.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

foutre posted:

I bought a copy of Netrunner after seeing it was going to go out of print, and finally got around to playing it over the last couple weeks. It's great, I can't believe I haven't tried it before. To get a good range of cards for casual play, are there any data packs/expansions that are must-haves, or that open up interesting strategies/builds? From googling around I've seen a lot of mixed opinions, which might just mean that there isn't a clear answer here, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on which y'all have found to be particularly good.

So far I've gotten Terminal Directive, because the campaign sounded cool, and a handful of random data packs that came with the ebay copy of the base game I got.

Recommendations would mostly be the Deluxe epansions:
Creation & Control
Honor & Profit
Data & Desiny
Order & Chaos
Reign & Reverie(though this is going to be harder to get hold of now)

There is also a netrunner thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845270

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

foutre posted:

I bought a copy of Netrunner after seeing it was going to go out of print, and finally got around to playing it over the last couple weeks. It's great, I can't believe I haven't tried it before. To get a good range of cards for casual play, are there any data packs/expansions that are must-haves, or that open up interesting strategies/builds?

I'd get the first cycle or two if you can, some of that was just really solid stuff that makes the game feel more complete. Other than that, the deluxe expansions are great.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
If anyone got the BGG Antiquity tiles and also has an insert I am very interested to hear how they fit. Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Yeah I think people really are underselling how cutthroat Colonists can be. It's not Caylus-tier or anything, of course but you can get really nasty if you purposefully block spaces and force people to pay you fees.

I really like The Colonists because it reminds me a lot of the Anno videogame series, I am a sucker for complex resource lines and production chains. I will admit it's definitely the sort of game you plan an evening around, not something you decide to pull out on a regular game night. It's just too long and involved to spring on people on a whim.

I feel like it's a few years too late because I'm really tired of games where the interactions are just blocking. And I can't even argue that the blocking is meaningful because like AFfO there are way too many alternate spaces to go. Doubly so than AFfO as the market and innovations can randomly give you an action except it's flat out better or only slightly worse.

Also blocking is only meaningful when components are limited and you stand to benefit from doing so. Given the variable nature of the game and near limitless goods with duplicate spaces, blocking someone ends up being unintentional most of the time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Creation & Control
Honor & Profit
Data & Desiny
Order & Chaos
Reign & Reverie(though this is going to be harder to get hold of now)

There is also a netrunner thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845270

The second wave of Reign and Reverie seems to be hitting shops about now, so should be available if you make a concerted effort now.

The two player campaign 'Terminal Directive' might also be worth grabbing to add long term value.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Anyone interested in a PBEM game of Indonesia using sloth ninja? Someone was mentioning it before and I am super keen. Can Chuck up a thread in the games room if people are interested.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DogCop posted:

If anyone got the BGG Antiquity tiles and also has an insert I am very interested to hear how they fit. Thanks!

Where can you buy an insert?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played my first real game of Root today via TTS. Four players, entirely base game stuff, myself as the Alliance and the Vagabond player being the Thief. We didn't end up finishing due to some players having to leave, though. I enjoyed it, as did the Vagabond player, but the other two didn't so much. Marquise player went for a Dominance card earlier than he should have and got frustrated with how easily he was thwarted there, while the Eyrie player didn't quite get how aggro the faction is, starting as the Builder and playing pretty slow, being outright pacifistic until he eventually hit Turmoil after moving into a clearing he didn't realize only had only one slot, which was filled, and switched to the Commander.

Myself, I exploded early, claiming that really-connected fox clearing with a revolt on my second turn and wound up spreading my sympathy aggressively, which was made worse by no one trying to remove it and just eating the Outrage moving into it caused. Vagabond, meanwhile, wound up having plenty of items crafted for him and had nearly everything he could, only lacking the swords that need to be crafted, and I think one of the coin stacks was still in the Marquise's possession, by the time we stopped. If it had continued it'd have probably been a race between me spreading high-VP sympathy through organizing and sheer card draw and him burning through quests to see who could hit 30 VP first, with the others relegated to kingmaking based on who they chose to attack. Not sure if I'll be able to get the Marquise player to try again, but the Eyrie one, if he's up for it, would probably enjoy the Tinker more (he mostly went with the Eyrie because he likes birds), and the Vagabond player seemed to enjoy it and wouldn't mind giving the Eyrie a try. Or the expansion factions if we try those sometime.

The main thing that I had trouble with myself was how few warriors I had. I wound up getting all three of my forts up, and had manually made an officer after the first one because one action a turn felt anemic, so I had four military actions a turn with a total supply of six warriors. I have a feeling that at that point I should have just focused on spreading sympathy through supporters (since shoving my hand into them each turn would have made that easy) and organizing, with my military actions being organizing and recruiting mostly, saving outright aggressive moves beyond situations like when I caught the Marquise player trying to sneak in the bird dominance victory again. Other part of me is thinking I should have just not revolted so much, though, and perhaps just stopped at two forts/three officers. I'm curious how other people handle dealing with the Alliance's limited warrior supply and balancing having military actions and having warriors to actually do them with, though. Obviously my game there wasn't particularly representative and we probably made quite a few mistakes, but it seems like something to keep in mind even in games where people are being more aggressive about keeping me down.

I'd also be happy to play with other people, in case I'm not the only one looking for online (or Fresno-area of California) play of this and other games, really.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Lorini posted:

Where can you buy an insert?

There's a couple options I've seen. This 3d printed one looks like the best bet:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2815318

There's also a couple pricey wooden ones that make it comically impossible to close the lid on the box:
http://www.basicallywooden.co.uk/game-box-organisers/antiquity/
https://www.philibertnet.com/en/geekmod/66096-organizer-antiquity-2017-edition-5902627471216.html

And if you have $170 to blow:
http://www.basicallywooden.co.uk/game-boxes/antiquity/

DogCop fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 28, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Played my first real game of Root today via TTS. Four players, entirely base game stuff, myself as the Alliance and the Vagabond player being the Thief. We didn't end up finishing due to some players having to leave, though. I enjoyed it, as did the Vagabond player, but the other two didn't so much. Marquise player went for a Dominance card earlier than he should have and got frustrated with how easily he was thwarted there, while the Eyrie player didn't quite get how aggro the faction is, starting as the Builder and playing pretty slow, being outright pacifistic until he eventually hit Turmoil after moving into a clearing he didn't realize only had only one slot, which was filled, and switched to the Commander.

Myself, I exploded early, claiming that really-connected fox clearing with a revolt on my second turn and wound up spreading my sympathy aggressively, which was made worse by no one trying to remove it and just eating the Outrage moving into it caused. Vagabond, meanwhile, wound up having plenty of items crafted for him and had nearly everything he could, only lacking the swords that need to be crafted, and I think one of the coin stacks was still in the Marquise's possession, by the time we stopped. If it had continued it'd have probably been a race between me spreading high-VP sympathy through organizing and sheer card draw and him burning through quests to see who could hit 30 VP first, with the others relegated to kingmaking based on who they chose to attack. Not sure if I'll be able to get the Marquise player to try again, but the Eyrie one, if he's up for it, would probably enjoy the Tinker more (he mostly went with the Eyrie because he likes birds), and the Vagabond player seemed to enjoy it and wouldn't mind giving the Eyrie a try. Or the expansion factions if we try those sometime.

The main thing that I had trouble with myself was how few warriors I had. I wound up getting all three of my forts up, and had manually made an officer after the first one because one action a turn felt anemic, so I had four military actions a turn with a total supply of six warriors. I have a feeling that at that point I should have just focused on spreading sympathy through supporters (since shoving my hand into them each turn would have made that easy) and organizing, with my military actions being organizing and recruiting mostly, saving outright aggressive moves beyond situations like when I caught the Marquise player trying to sneak in the bird dominance victory again. Other part of me is thinking I should have just not revolted so much, though, and perhaps just stopped at two forts/three officers. I'm curious how other people handle dealing with the Alliance's limited warrior supply and balancing having military actions and having warriors to actually do them with, though. Obviously my game there wasn't particularly representative and we probably made quite a few mistakes, but it seems like something to keep in mind even in games where people are being more aggressive about keeping me down.

I'd also be happy to play with other people, in case I'm not the only one looking for online (or Fresno-area of California) play of this and other games, really.

Alliance military should be looked at as a lure to pull enemies through sympathetic areas. Create a wall of sympathy then take your troops to rule weakly contested clearings especially if it prevents Cat from moving wood around. And since Eyrie is probably locked into moving (multiple times) you can really milk their actions. Cat will hesitate to fight because of Guerrilla and Eyrie's card play is weak enough that they'll likely feed you just to move on.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I got the antiquity tiles and have the insert “bags and a gmt counter tray” and it fits great.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Anyone interested in a PBEM game of Indonesia using sloth ninja? Someone was mentioning it before and I am super keen. Can Chuck up a thread in the games room if people are interested.

I’d be interested.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

PrinnySquadron posted:

rchandra posted:

I'd get the first cycle or two if you can, some of that was just really solid stuff that makes the game feel more complete. Other than that, the deluxe expansions are great.

Great, thanks! I'll look for the earlier stuff and the deluxe ones then /part on the netrunner thread.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Looks like my optimism was overly cautious. Pax Pamir broke $50k and unlocked 4 stretch goals in the first day.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

al-azad posted:

Alliance military should be looked at as a lure to pull enemies through sympathetic areas. Create a wall of sympathy then take your troops to rule weakly contested clearings especially if it prevents Cat from moving wood around. And since Eyrie is probably locked into moving (multiple times) you can really milk their actions. Cat will hesitate to fight because of Guerrilla and Eyrie's card play is weak enough that they'll likely feed you just to move on.

Gotcha. Thanks much.

Tangent, how should one approach crafting items? Loading up the Vagabond on gear turned out to be super dangerous, so I'm wondering if it's something that should be held back on if you're not coalitioned with them or otherwise cooperating or trying to get something from them yourself. The points from it aren't huge while the Vagabond benefits massively, so, I'm starting to consider the value there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Gotcha. Thanks much.

Tangent, how should one approach crafting items? Loading up the Vagabond on gear turned out to be super dangerous, so I'm wondering if it's something that should be held back on if you're not coalitioned with them or otherwise cooperating or trying to get something from them yourself. The points from it aren't huge while the Vagabond benefits massively, so, I'm starting to consider the value there.

My first game I played Vagabond and ended with 14 or 15 points completely baffled because everyone posts online about how broken he is. But I also stressed to my friends the danger of crafting fast is that you feed the vagabond and even though he can aid you regardless for points he's more likely to use his cards for crafting if everyone plays conservatively. I would say crafting cards with items is unnecessary until mid-game when you start getting to draw more than 1 card. This encourages vagabond trading and hopefully you can use the card boost to slingshot ahead before he refreshes next turn and starts knocking out quests left and right. Craft the cards that give you abilities early or keep them around as sympathy payments so you can input the direction of the mice because letting them draw blindly or take birds sucks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. In the game we played, a lot of items came out fast, including the crossbow (my fault, that one), so the Vagabond got really powerful really quickly. As before, the only way he wasn't going to win was everyone dogpiling him or me outracing him as a similarly-unchecked WA.

I think I might try writing up a list of general, basic tips to give to people new to the game (and to remind myself) when I try to introduce people to it now, since information imbalance and not realizing how the others gain power can really distort the playing field. Things like "try to keep the WA get on the board (particularly you Marquise)", "don't feed the Vagabond free stuff", "Dominance cards are for people who are already winning or are desperate (or the Vagabond)", plus reminders of things like the need for rulership to move, clarification on places I see the Decree trip people up, and such could go a long way towards improving learning games and help people get a grasp on the game that much faster.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

The Colonists is a very nice game, but like many posters it has lost a bit of its shine recently for me. After getting A Feast for Odin the Colonists box does not seem as large and impressive as it once did. It does have a lot of components, to be sure, but its not as heavy as the Feast for Odin box. It was always smaller than the Twilight Imperium box, but that can't be played solo so it was safe.

Once I got Gloomhaven it was pretty much over. Gloomhaven is twice as big as The Colonists, both in size and mass. The Colonists rarely gets to the table as a result.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Known Lecher posted:

I’d be interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867143

Anyone else interest for Indonesia head over and sign up - I'll kick off once we have 3-5 players.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The only game I've played as the Vagabond (my second game ever), I won in a landslide. The Otters and Cats players thought that crafting items would force me to help them since it removed them from the supply. You can't craft something that's no longer available, even just for the VP bonus. However, easy access to those items via aid helped me more than it helped them. They may have rushed this tactic because I was the Tinker, who can pull crafting cards from the discard pile, and getting items from them was better than just getting them from no one. In other circumstances, it seems like non-Vagabond factions should only craft items when they specifically need cards from aid or when the Vagabond has a very slim hand so aid would prevent him from questing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Root question: Alliance Outrage, do you pay a card only when you move in, or does it also happen when you remove a sympathy token? Part of the issue in my game was that the Alliance had pushed sympathy heavily into my territory (Cats), but avoided placing any into the Eyrie territory. Basically the whole second half of the game was me removing sympathy tokens from the same clearing which had my only workshop, but that just fed cards to the Alliance player which let him coup in a different spot and move on my stronghold with his warriors.

Also, if Eyrie doesn't have enough roost tokens to fulfill their mandates, does that cause turmoil? And can Alliance move their bases through coups?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

Root question: Alliance Outrage, do you pay a card only when you move in, or does it also happen when you remove a sympathy token? Part of the issue in my game was that the Alliance had pushed sympathy heavily into my territory (Cats), but avoided placing any into the Eyrie territory. Basically the whole second half of the game was me removing sympathy tokens from the same clearing which had my only workshop, but that just fed cards to the Alliance player which let him coup in a different spot and move on my stronghold with his warriors.

Also, if Eyrie doesn't have enough roost tokens to fulfill their mandates, does that cause turmoil? And can Alliance move their bases through coups?

Yup, you pay when you move warriors in (but not when you recruit) and when you destroy sympathy. Did you use martial law? WA has to pay an extra supporter when using Spread Sympathy during Birdsong if another player has three or more warriors in the target clearing. And if that’s not enough to slow the WA, I’ve seen a lot of success by stationing troops in their base so they don’t rule it and can’t move out.

Regarding the birds, yes, they’re piece limited, and they’ll go into Turmoil without a Roost to place. Similarly, if they don’t have enough warriors to fully satisfy their Recruit they’ll go into Turmoil.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You pay for moving warriors into a sympathetic clearing and for removing sympathy. I would argue it’s better to let the sympathy be most of the time if it’s an area you can afford to lose or rarely move pieces through.

And all components are limited by their physical count. If Eyrie can’t build or recruit as a result they go into turmoil.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
One of the major lessons for the militarily dominant factions of root wrt the WA is that containment is better than aggression. Pay attention to how movement works for ideas on how to keep your mice in check. (Although the cat can afford to squash one or two sympathetic clearings if they've been good about getting extra cards and try not to move into sympathetic clearings)

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ojetor posted:

For a quick game of the Colonists I really like the first scenario the designer put out, the "Alliance of the 6 Towns" on something (only have the German copy so no idea what it is called).

It has a pre build map and 6 different objectives. I played it with the same objective for every player and with a different objective for every player and both worked pretty well. You also just have to put out some Era 2 buildings, prepare the Era 2 cards and put out some ressources. Plays in 15-20 minutes per player and with the objectives it helps new players get going and have a focus during the game.

You should find it on BGG.

Edit: A Dropbox link with some scans. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwylnondwg40cac/AADsQBrJM7-1BFUY9NOkQ2V6a?dl=0

Print out the two scenario maps, the setup page and the translated rules. But as said above better scans should be available on BGG. There is also the Kaizo Colonists Scenario but I haven't translated that one.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 28, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainRightful posted:

The only game I've played as the Vagabond (my second game ever), I won in a landslide. The Otters and Cats players thought that crafting items would force me to help them since it removed them from the supply. You can't craft something that's no longer available, even just for the VP bonus. However, easy access to those items via aid helped me more than it helped them. They may have rushed this tactic because I was the Tinker, who can pull crafting cards from the discard pile, and getting items from them was better than just getting them from no one. In other circumstances, it seems like non-Vagabond factions should only craft items when they specifically need cards from aid or when the Vagabond has a very slim hand so aid would prevent him from questing.

The best thing to do with items like that, especially with the Tinker around, is to hold onto them as sympathy fodder, assuming the Alliance is also in the game. You'll be frustrated with their sympathy anyway, so it lets you avoid giving them better cards, and as long as the Alliance has a fort they can stuff their supporter stack full of cards, making it possible to keep things out of circulation the entire game if they feel like it (and don't have the wrong bases destroyed). The Alliance can just put them into their supporters as well, and the Eyrie has the additional option of using them for their Decree; it's not as potentially permanent as using them as supporters, but it should last for a while as long as you're good at avoiding Turmoil.

Bonus points if you use them to pay the sympathy tax for removing the sympathy from a place you don't want it, since you're hurting the Alliance without benefiting them, assuming they also understand the value of denying the Vagabond those cards. And they don't start working with the Vagabond or go full "gently caress it" mode due to your bullying, at least.

But yes, crafting those things should be really carefully considered, if not avoided entirely. If you don't use those points to win fast or are/will be coalitioning with the Vagabond, they'll almost certainly benefit from the item a lot more than you will the VP and whatever card they give you for it.

Edit: Looking at the deck I have in this thing, there are three coin cards, one in each non-bird suit, all requiring two rabbits to craft. Keeping them away from a non-Tinker Vagabond isn't too important so long as they can't find the second hammer. Which is likely; there is only one hammer card, a fox card with a one fox crafting cost, so while they can easily use it if they get it, the chances of them getting it aren't great. Without that card, then unless the Tinker is in play or there are two Vagabonds and thus two hammers in the ruins, they can't personally craft coins or swords (three cards, one each of fox, mouse, and bird suits, all costing two foxes).

It's also possible to keep the crossbow out of their hands with a little luck; there are two crossbow cards in the deck, one mouse and one bird suit-wise, but with a one fox crafting cost. There are three tea cards (one of each non-bird suit) and four each of boots and bags (one of every suit), meanwhile, all only needing one clearing/hammer to craft, so trying to keep them out of circulation isn't as easy. Not as important either, though. But you may still wish to avoid sending them to the discard pile as long as it's possible and not inconvenient if the Tinker is around, just to make sure things aren't too easy for her.

Meanwhile, a question on my part, is it just me or is the eastern side of the map better for the Marquise than the west as far as starting goes? The northeastern clearing is the only corner clearing with two building slots, while the southwest one is adjacent to the only three-slot clearing on the map, both of which are nice for making extra-defensible. With ruins in the way, all four corners have six slots between the corner itself and their three adjacent clearings, but if the Vagabond is around to clear those, the eastern clearings will have eight total in the Keep and adjacent clearings, while the western ones only have seven possible.

I'm not seeing the advantages the west offers in return either; while the fox clearing in the southwest, next to its corner, has more connections than any other clearing, the other clearings adjacent to the southwestern one are really poorly connected, so it balances out. I'm just not seeing any reason to start on that side.

Plus, the northeastern clearing is the one mouse suit corner clearing, so it's extra-appropriate for the cats to dominate it with their Keep.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 28, 2018

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Prairie Bus posted:

Yup, you pay when you move warriors in (but not when you recruit) and when you destroy sympathy. Did you use martial law? WA has to pay an extra supporter when using Spread Sympathy during Birdsong if another player has three or more warriors in the target clearing. And if that’s not enough to slow the WA, I’ve seen a lot of success by stationing troops in their base so they don’t rule it and can’t move out.

Regarding the birds, yes, they’re piece limited, and they’ll go into Turmoil without a Roost to place. Similarly, if they don’t have enough warriors to fully satisfy their Recruit they’ll go into Turmoil.

I'm not sure about the martial law. I think it may have been a rule we missed. Not that it mattered much, I wasn't really able to generate the required force to enforce that rule after the early game.

Reading here, there's definitely things I missed in my first game. I realized I should've gone defensive early on, but was too late to be able to do anything about it since the Eyrie and Alliance players were playing cooperatively. I think I originally thought expansion was the name of the game early on, so I tried to build up, only to get pushed back. Then basically I just spent the rest of the game more or less delaying being taken off the board while everyone else was raking in victory points. I also probably didn't use the field hospital as much as I should've.

Still, I wonder how much better I could've done if the other two military factions weren't working together.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
What board game that's actually tactically and strategically interesting is also the most chill?

Like, what's a game where you can get completely thrashed in points but in the end nobody is too sad because you all had such a chill time pushing your little tokens around and getting an engine going or whatever?

It's probably an Uwe Rosenberg game isn't it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

foutre posted:

Great, thanks! I'll look for the earlier stuff and the deluxe ones then /part on the netrunner thread.

Where are you? I have two cores and all expansions up to the first in the Mumbad Cycle, mostly unplayed, and I'm looking to offload.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

dropkickpikachu posted:

What board game that's actually tactically and strategically interesting is also the most chill?

Like, what's a game where you can get completely thrashed in points but in the end nobody is too sad because you all had such a chill time pushing your little tokens around and getting an engine going or whatever?

It's a feast for Odin yeah.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dropkickpikachu posted:

I'd actually like to know this too; I have a friend who can get rather frustrated and demoralized easily by certain things, so I've tried to be careful about what I push his way. (I'm actually surprised our attempt at Root didn't end worse than it did in retrospect.) I also am trying to introduce the group to a wider variety of games though, particularly ones with more depth. Tash-Kalar's been very well-received, but 1v1 is the ideal way to play that; something four+ people can all play at once would be great.

I've heard that A Feast For Odin is pretty good, but I don't think they're ready for that. (And definitely not for Ex Libris, another worker placement game that I've told them about and that they thought was interesting, but that's definitely way too cutthroat for some of them, on a tangent for that particular genre.)

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's a feast for Odin yeah.

Oh, well there I go; was mentioned in between me writing this post and me coming back to it after some distractions to actually post it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Keyper maybe?

And I like Uwes puzzle games Cottage Garden and Indian Summer, despite them being not that deep. Loosing in Indian Summer does not really feel bad and the Artwork for both games is pretty neat.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

That's the design space that most modern euros occupy. This thread generally prefers the interactive and heavy end of the spectrum, but most of the popular euros are fairly chill. Castles of Burgundy, Viticulture, Concordia etc.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 28, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

discount cathouse posted:

That's the design space that most modern euros occupy. This thread generally prefers the interactive and heavy end of the spectrum, but most of the popular euros are fairly chill. Castles of Burgundy, Viticulture, Concordia etc.

Yeah, the modern crop of euro is usually stuff like this. Coimbra, Azul, Barenpark, and of course AFFO are more recent examples. There’s the argument that the point salad ethos has done a lot to encourage this. Personally I’m looking forward to Teotihuacan, which should also be another generic midweight euro point salad that I’m a sucker for. (Also getting Gentes and Endeavor around the same time)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

dropkickpikachu posted:

A friend of mine likes this genre, which he describes as "built a thing". As in, you may have lost the game but you built a nice engine or village and it worked well.

Stone Age is the first example that leaps to mind, although the 'engine' is fairly crude. I've always liked London as a peaceful soothing game in which you can do your own thing and play the game as seriously or placidly as you like, with a nice little tableau-engine at the end.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lorini posted:

BGG store no longer carries the small lightweight plastic boxes they used to. Anyone know where I could buy them elsewhere? I need them for the Antiquity bits.

Miniature Market sells Zen Bins and Stonemeier sells their own tiny boxes.

I assume these are the sizes you're looking for. Depending on what exactly you need, check out a craft store. They have plastic bins that have lots of little cubbies of a bunch of different configurations. That's how we store our copy of Castles of Burgundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I'd actually like to know this too; I have a friend who can get rather frustrated and demoralized easily by certain things, so I've tried to be careful about what I push his way. (I'm actually surprised our attempt at Root didn't end worse than it did in retrospect.) I also am trying to introduce the group to a wider variety of games though, particularly ones with more depth. Tash-Kalar's been very well-received, but 1v1 is the ideal way to play that; something four+ people can all play at once would be great.

I've heard that A Feast For Odin is pretty good, but I don't think they're ready for that. (And definitely not for Ex Libris, another worker placement game that I've told them about and that they thought was interesting, but that's definitely way too cutthroat for some of them, on a tangent for that particular genre.)

Oh, well there I go; was mentioned in between me writing this post and me coming back to it after some distractions to actually post it.

Barenpark is perfect for you here. It's light, it's structurally impossible to actually get slaughter assuming reasonable play. Like 108-90 is, contextually, getting absolutely destroyed but doesn't feel bad.

It's also basically the opposite of cut throat, particularly if you curate the object tiles of play with 3 players.